Andy Kayen (kayen) wrote in _harvey_,
Andy Kayen
kayen
_harvey_

[Harvey] coloured 'Holy Hagglin', Batdroid!' + tutorial/progression

Rather than simply post the coloured strip, I decided to do another of my 'progress/tutorial posts' for 'Holy Hagglin', Batdroid!'

Preview of finished pic:

It all began with my wanting to make a strip about that amusing term 'batting for the other team'. Being a Batfan, I immediately thought of Dark Knights, leather, pretty boys, bums, and ... and I'm getting way off track.

The result? The following basic idea:
GUY: So, Harvey, you bat for the other team, huh?
HARVEY: (to Guy's girlfriend) Me Batman, you Robin?

Then it was just a matter of adding stuff.

Art-wise, this was the first draft:

Realising that the script was rather thin (and at that point, I didn't even have a good title), I felt the layout was too ... ordinary. If the text is of questionable quality, distract the reader with some eyecandy. ;)

So I looked at the sketch, thought of bats, and saw a face, of sorts. Ears, mouth, whatever. So I made a mini-sketch of a very different layout:

Clearly, I had only vague ideas of what batmugs look like, and after some research into bloodsucking bats, I refined the sketch:

My point is, it's very important to make mini (aka, thumbnail) sketches to test unorthodox layouts, before you do the big version:

Which I then inked (using a light table and sable/synthetic brushes):

Because I ink with an old brush and poor ink on crappy paper, I need to let Illustrator CS2 'scan' it through LiveTrace, thus converting it to vector art. Unfortunately, this particular strip lost something in the transfer.

Shifting over to Photoshop CS, I added an inverted border and wound up with this:

Then I blocked in basic colours (on separate layers) using a hard-edged, variable-sized brush at 100% opacity. The pen I use is a Wacom Volito.

That's the PS Cloud effect you see in the background.

Blocked shadows and highlights:

Using a fixed-width, hard-edged brush at 25% opacity, I smoothed the shading and added some additional shadows and highlights. Using the Batposter above as colour reference, I added clouds to the background and then finished off by adding a sepia Photo Filter layer.

Comments? Question?
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic

Your IP address will be recorded 

When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 16 comments