?

No account? Create an account

Previous | Next

Hope you're all enjoying Euro 2008 or the World Cup qualifiers going on in other parts of the world. On to the news.

+ The no confidence vote against the board will be held on July 6 in Camp Nou. A 2/3 vote against the board will trigger an election. Potential candidates include current vice president Soriano and former vice president Sandro Rosell [formerly Laporta's best friend, now his worst enemy].

+ The official website profiles Tito Vilanova, our new assistant manager, who will be familiar to the likes of Messi and Pique.

+ Rijkaard looks back. [Oh, Frank.]

+ Our top women's team [I bet some of you guys didn't know we had 1, let alone 4 - I didn't until about 2 years ago] were promoted back to the Spanish Superliga with a 7-1 [!!!] victory over FVPR El Olivo.

+ Barca B is undergoing some changes. Firstly, the name of the team will be changed back to Barca Atletic. Secondly, the new coach has been presented. It's yet another former captain held in great regard by the fans - Luis Enrique, who retired at the club 4 seasons ago. If you don't know anything about Lucho, there's a profile of him in the 'legendary players' section of the website. [Please ignore the part where it insists that he's managing the first team. Silly translations.]

+ In further cantera news, Juvenil A are through to the youth Copa del Rey final after overcoming a 1 - 0 deficit from the away leg against Celta, winning the home leg 2 - 0. Having already eliminated teams like Real and Espanyol, they can feel pleased to have reached the final, which will be a difficult contest against Sevilla. They had 17-year-old B team regular Gai Assulin helping out in this game and will have him again for the final. [Look him up - this kid's going to be a star.]

+ Did you know that 8 of the Spain squad at Euro 2008 were once part of the cantera?

(One of our new boys, Seydou Keita, has scored 4 goals in his last two games for Mali. Nice.)

Finally, Guardiola got back in town today from his supershort vacation, so look for a flurry of official presentations soon, starting with the unveiling of the new kit on the 25th.

And of course some more transfer announcements, possibly within the next week.

Comments

( 11 comments — Speak )
(Deleted comment)
stickmarionette
Jun. 23rd, 2008 11:08 am (UTC)
Thing is, if someone wrote a novel with the plot lifted from what actually goes on, people would probably slam it as being too far-fetched. :D

(Yay icon!)

Frank does look pretty relaxed - seeing that made me feel a bit better. [If I were him, I wouldn't be nearly as gracious about Ronnie. But that's Frank.]
(Deleted comment)
stickmarionette
Jun. 23rd, 2008 12:22 pm (UTC)
(Oooh, that's fantastic! *rightclicksaves*)

[Ronnie, who is now going around selling himself to the Prem. *sighs* Good luck, man.]
(Deleted comment)
stickmarionette
Jun. 23rd, 2008 01:09 pm (UTC)
[It's not that bad, I suppose. Just the same old Man City stuff, except now he's talking about Scolari too.]
applegnat
Jun. 23rd, 2008 11:25 am (UTC)
You've mentioned Rosell before, and I've actually seen his name being bandied about in Lowe blogs as a man who'd be good for Barca - I've been meaning to ask you about your opinion of him. Is he not all that, then?

I thought what you said in an earlier post about the board's being voted out creating instability rang very true.
stickmarionette
Jun. 23rd, 2008 12:01 pm (UTC)
I have such a grudge against Rosell, my God. He was instrumental in pulling of a lot of the great transfers of the Laporta era [he basically set up the Brazilian clique] because of his role as a Nike executive. So in that sense it is handy to have him around, although I very much disapprove of the discrimination against signing Adidas athletes that would result. *g*

The reason I have that grudge: before he resigned in a huff [end of 04-05], apparently he was trying to bring in Big Phil to replace Frankie, which is just...no. So I have a huge problem with his idea of what would be good for Barca.

But he has a fair bit of support because he's seen as someone with a good eye for players who can get signings [as long as they're with the big swoosh, I guess]. *sighs* As if that isn't the job of the technical secretary.

Rant over. :D
applegnat
Jun. 23rd, 2008 08:09 pm (UTC)
That grudge is sounding rather warranted. And that he is/was a Nike executive does not help in my eyes. We know this is perfectly run of the mill at big clubs, but that sounds like a corporate nexus, and I would really like for that sort of thing to be kept out of the business of clubs that can afford to ignore it. Why would we care about his eye for players as long as he stayed out of the hair of the people whose job it actually was to spot people for the team?

I'm a little suspicious. This is looking like a very frying pan/fire sort of situation.
stickmarionette
Jun. 24th, 2008 12:20 am (UTC)
Yeah, that corporate connection really troubles me. Maybe that makes me old fashioned, but it just doesn't seem right for a club structured like Barca. [Plus, the fact that it's Nike and their dodgy labour practices makes it even worse. I can barely stand the fact that they make the Barca kits, given the club's very public commitment to UNICEF, not to mention the Fundacio FC Barcelona's admirable work with children.]

This is looking like a very frying pan/fire sort of situation.
As is typically the case with club football in Spain. *g* Hell, even Calderon is in trouble, and he presides over a winning team.
bustedflush
Jun. 23rd, 2008 12:37 pm (UTC)
Ok, when I get home I am going battle with my damn Windows computer and figure how to get videos -- I bet that Frank interview will go up eventually, maybe even with English! *crosses fingers* It makes me happy that he's willing to come back do that, it says so much about him (and, I suppose, the club).

That scoreline suggests that Spanish women's football is a bit like it is in England: Dominated by a few clubs who have much greater resources and quality than everyone else. Do you know if that's the case?
stickmarionette
Jun. 23rd, 2008 12:45 pm (UTC)
Oooh, that would be fantastic. The article seems to suggest that he talks about the players quite a bit, and I'd love to hear his take on the good years as well as the bad.

It makes me happy that he's willing to come back do that, it says so much about him (and, I suppose, the club).
Apparently the board really adored him as a person. He's certainly not burnt any bridges, which is always nice.

The bits and pieces I've read about the women's team suggests that it was mismanagement which led to them going down in the first place, and they just didn't belong in the second division, hence them coming right back up. But my general impression is pretty much what you suggest there.
blackseafleet
Jun. 23rd, 2008 04:04 pm (UTC)
The moderators are doing a very good job. I can rely on this site for my source of key Barca news.
stickmarionette
Jun. 24th, 2008 12:22 am (UTC)
Thanks! We hope to keep it up as the pre-season gets under way.
( 11 comments — Speak )

Hello there!

Welcome to _fcbarcelona_,
a community made by Barça fans for Barça fans. First of all, not all content posted in this community is available publicly. To view unlimited content in this community you will need to become a member. As a member you can post and discuss the latest Barça news, transfer rumors, fun posts, and live match with other culés.
For more information about us and how to become a member you can view our profile.
Visca Barça!

fcb cocoa
_fcbarcelona_
Futbol Club Barcelona
Twitter

Latest Month

August 2013
S M T W T F S