?

No account? Create an account

Previous | Next

news round-up: transfers!

Since we last spoke:

+ Gianluca Zambrotta has left us for AC Milan. The fee is said to be around 9 million euros, possibly rising to 12 million depending on performance. Personally, I'm gutted to see him go.

+ Gio Dos Santos has also left us, for Spurs, in a deal worth 6 million now, with the possibility of rising up to 11 millon (again depending on performance). I'm not pleased he's gone (I'm never pleased when we sell a player from the youth system), but there were a number of factors pointing to his departure, not all of them controllable by him.

+ On a happier note, Pep has finally put pen to paper on his two-year coaching deal. His no.2 will be Tito Vilanova, who has been his right-hand man in the B team. Tito will be familiar to the likes of Messi, Pique and Bojan, as he's coached in the youth system for a while.

+ Sylvinho has renewed for another season! [On a personal note, can I just say, yay!]

+ We've signed young Uruguayan defender Martin Caceres from Villarreal for 16 million euros. He's a fantastic prospect. [Ignore the dodgy fashion sense and bad hair. Actually, now that I think about it, that means he'll fit right in.]

+ Next season's Gamper trophy opponents will be Boca Juniors. [Riquelme back at the Camp Nou? Fantastic.]

I'll be spamming your flists again in the next few days to tell you guys about some new features we (0ntheverge and I, your friendly neighbourhood mods) have planned for the comm. Until then, take care.

Comments

( 32 comments — Speak )
bustedflush
Jun. 6th, 2008 03:20 pm (UTC)
[I don't think I've said it yet -- thank you so much for getting this com going again, I can't wait to experience it under your collective Benevolent Reign. *grin*]
stickmarionette
Jun. 6th, 2008 03:26 pm (UTC)
[*grin* You're very welcome. The two of us were making so many of the posts anyway, so hopefully it's going to be a natural transition.

Personally, I aspire to achieve at least 1/4 of the awesomeness of ahh_serie_a. :D]
(no subject) - girlboheme - Jun. 6th, 2008 03:29 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - stickmarionette - Jun. 6th, 2008 04:11 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - bustedflush - Jun. 6th, 2008 05:02 pm (UTC) - Expand
girlboheme
Jun. 6th, 2008 03:27 pm (UTC)
Gio is going to Spurs?? Man, that upsets me. But I guess now i have a reason to pay attention to the Spurs.

Zambrotta :( Well, I do like Milan, so I guess that is better than him going to a team I dislike (because it all revolves around me *coughs coughs*)

I really appreciate the news!!!! Thank you for your hard work XD
stickmarionette
Jun. 6th, 2008 04:13 pm (UTC)
At least Spurs have a sensible manager, I suppose. *sighs*

Zambro never settled in Spain, so I hope going back to Italy will make him happy again. Milan's certainly not a bad choice.

You're welcome! (And did I ever tell you how much I adore your icons?)
(no subject) - girlboheme - Jun. 6th, 2008 04:46 pm (UTC) - Expand
(Deleted comment)
stickmarionette
Jun. 6th, 2008 04:18 pm (UTC)
Yeah, I'm so glad Sylvinho is staying. That would have been such a painful departure, for so many reasons. The transfer window's been relatively kind to us so far, but I dare not breath easy just yet. :D

Will do, thank you! ♥
greeniefru
Jun. 6th, 2008 03:34 pm (UTC)
Oh Zambrotta, that's a shame... Gio's departure is not really a surprise. He doesn't look the prospect that Bojan is anyway.

Thank you for the updates. Hopefully we'll have a better season in store to update on, eh? ;)
stickmarionette
Jun. 6th, 2008 04:20 pm (UTC)
Hopefully we'll have a better season in store to update on, eh?
Word to that. :D

Gio's clearly got some personal issues to resolve, and a club in crisis isn't really the place to resolve them. So I suppose his departure is for the best, although it's still a shame.
guede_mazaka
Jun. 6th, 2008 03:37 pm (UTC)
Yay for Sylvinho, but ack, Gio. I still want to believe he's a good bet (in temperament as well as playing), but Spurs? I don't know, maybe Ramos the hardman will be good for him. But I think there's going to be a bubble bursting v. hard when Gio realizes almost nobody is as nice as Rikjaard was.
stickmarionette
Jun. 6th, 2008 04:26 pm (UTC)
when Gio realizes almost nobody is as nice as Rikjaard was
*nods* Yeah, and maybe that will be good for him. Ramos seems to know what he's doing with young players.

Gio does have some problems of his own, but maybe a move is what he needs to sort them out.

(And you never know - Fernando Torres was regarded as an eternal promise in La Liga, and he found the going easier in England.)
(no subject) - guede_mazaka - Jun. 6th, 2008 04:50 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - stickmarionette - Jun. 6th, 2008 05:07 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - guede_mazaka - Jun. 6th, 2008 05:12 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - stickmarionette - Jun. 7th, 2008 09:18 am (UTC) - Expand
psychoticpoopie
Jun. 6th, 2008 05:20 pm (UTC)
giovani is one spoilt kid..seriously. but maybe its good that he left..he'd get playing time at spurs probably..and that might give their spoilt brat berbatov some reality check about the order of the universe and circle of life and how he isn't the top of the foodchain anymore.
stickmarionette
Jun. 7th, 2008 09:18 am (UTC)
He's a kid, and he needs to mature. *sighs* Maybe that will happen in England.
sibarita
Jun. 6th, 2008 05:25 pm (UTC)
Glad at least that Zambrotta went to a good team.
I will miss Gio being there I mean as Mexican I loved having 2 feelow countryman there but in some way I wish good luck for Gio who knows maybe Gio can turn on like a Pique who will back to his original team years later.
And I'm so happy having Sylvihno for another season such a good player.
stickmarionette
Jun. 7th, 2008 09:20 am (UTC)
*Grin* Good point - now that Pique's done it, maybe the door is open for other players to return too, as long as they mature well abroad.

Sylvinho's such a nice guy, too. Great to have him around.
applegnat
Jun. 6th, 2008 05:33 pm (UTC)
No way. Spurs? Oh, Gio. Well, at least you and Zambrotta can hang out together in the UEFA Cup.

[Yay news round-up! Here's to many more with lots of good news.]
stickmarionette
Jun. 7th, 2008 09:22 am (UTC)
Well, at least you and Zambrotta can hang out together in the UEFA Cup.
*wince* Oh dear. At least The Special Juande knows what he's doing with young players. And Gio needs discipline of some sort.

[Here's hoping. :D]
0ntheverge
Jun. 6th, 2008 05:53 pm (UTC)
OMG!yay for Boca Juniors, that should be a good game.

I figured Barça would just loan Gio out not sell him. Hmmm =|
stickmarionette
Jun. 7th, 2008 09:23 am (UTC)
Yeah, I thought a loan deal would work as well. Rumour is that Gio and his dad pushed for a sale, though.

Hopefully Boca will bring their first choice line-up. Should be great.
becauseimevil
Jun. 6th, 2008 07:05 pm (UTC)
I have been away on a desert island for the past 3 weeks (a.k.a FINALS), can I just say that I am absolutely gutted.

It's too much drastic change for me to take in all at once. First the news of Dinho leaving (which was a disappointment, rather than anything else tbh), then Rijkaard leaving, Deco leaving, then Zambrotta, and now Gio, arguably some of our best players.

This season really sucked, but I guess those changes are necessary (?)

can we hold on to Messi at least, I mean, he's not going anywhere right? :(

stickmarionette
Jun. 7th, 2008 09:25 am (UTC)
Oh man, what a mess to come back to. Take a breather, take it in slowly. I know it all hit me like a sucker-punch.

(Ronnie and Deco aren't official yet, if that helps.)

Messi won't leave, don't worry about that. He's Barca through and through.
(no subject) - becauseimevil - Jun. 7th, 2008 07:29 pm (UTC) - Expand
psychodalmatian
Jun. 7th, 2008 12:51 am (UTC)
I'll miss seeing Zambro wearing the Barca jersey and the Leo/Zambro glomping but since he wasn't happy in Spain and I love Milan, I'm really happy.

Eww Tottenham. I fear for little Gio. He'll receive such rough treatment from Premiership defenders.

Yay Sylvinho's staying!!!

stickmarionette
Jun. 7th, 2008 09:27 am (UTC)
If Zambro had to leave, Milan was probably the best destination for all parties concerned. But you're right, I'll miss the glomping too. :D

Gio needs to toughen up physically because they're going to give him a hard time, and the refs won't protect him as much there. Not a good league for skilled, frail kids, IMHO, unless they're really, really tough, both mentally and physically.
bellaimala
Jun. 7th, 2008 07:40 pm (UTC)
Ha, I didn't know if to reply to this post or to your journal xD.

I never liked Gio, so I think it's GOOD he's leaving. I don't know if it's just me, but he didn't have the best of attitudes. But good luck to him, anyway. The EPL won't be easy. With a few and notable exceptions, the EPL and la Liga are not quite compatible in terms of players. English and Spanish players have a hard time adapting to those leagues.

Yay for Sylvinho! :( for Zambrotta.
stickmarionette
Jun. 8th, 2008 07:18 am (UTC)
Gio most certainly did have an attitude problem. Maybe it was fixable with time, but Barca in the kind of turmoil it was in really isn't the best place to do that.

He's probably going to have a hard time in the Prem, at least at first. If he's strong enough, though, it just might end up working out well.
( 32 comments — Speak )

Hello there!

Welcome to _fcbarcelona_,
a community made by Barça fans for Barça fans. First of all, not all content posted in this community is available publicly. To view unlimited content in this community you will need to become a member. As a member you can post and discuss the latest Barça news, transfer rumors, fun posts, and live match with other culés.
For more information about us and how to become a member you can view our profile.
Visca Barça!

fcb cocoa
_fcbarcelona_
Futbol Club Barcelona
Twitter

Latest Month

August 2013
S M T W T F S