?

No account? Create an account

Previous | Next

CL news, and a Rijkaard interview

So we're through to the semi-finals. It's not going to be easy against Manchester United, but hopefully we'll at least have Messi back by then. Deco might be too much to hope for, though.

(Captain Caveman is unfortunately suspended for the first leg, played at home.)

On the topic of players like Deco, there was an interesting interview a week ago with Rijkaard in the Financial Times with the wonderful Simon Kuper. Definitely recommended if you want to know his thoughts on many of his players. I thought what he said about Iniesta, Messi and Eto'o in particular was great.

Comments

( 9 comments — Speak )
bustedflush
Apr. 10th, 2008 01:25 pm (UTC)
Thanks for the interview link, I love Kuper's stuff in the FT but always forget to go looking for it. I thought what Frank said about Messi was interesting, because he seems to hint that Leo's not taking care of himself like he should, I wonder what that means. It seems very unlikely he's going out on the town, maybe just not committed enough to the boring things like stretching, warming down, etc? Or am I interpreting what Frank said totally wrong?
stickmarionette
Apr. 10th, 2008 01:34 pm (UTC)
You're welcome!

I kind of read what Frankie said as meaning that this is a battle Messi will have to fight by himself, and that the club could only help him so far, given his condition. Which is fair enough, but made me feel tremendously sorry for Leo.

(The FourFourTwo feature I posted said that Messi does go out, but not the way that say, Ronaldinho, does, so I doubt that's the issue.)
bustedflush
Apr. 10th, 2008 03:36 pm (UTC)
It'll be interesting to say how the next few years treat Leo -- if he/the club find a way to keep him healthy, or if this is going to be his footballing life.

A friend/former student of mine spend last spring in Madrid, and a friend of his ran into Leo and Ronaldinho in a club. She sent him an email detailing classy things like Ronnie dry-humping her, but the relevant bit is this:

We tried to dance with Messi too but he was a social outcast and was sitting in the corner with his drink looking unhappy.

His "going out" sounds very sad. *pats him*
stickmarionette
Apr. 10th, 2008 11:53 pm (UTC)
The latter looks frighteningly probable right now. (Which is really bad, because I'm going to be crushed if he doesn't make the next World Cup.)

His "going out" sounds very sad. *pats him*
*grins* That does sound like him. Apparently he usually has his Espanyol Argie friend Pablo Zabaleta with him, so hopefully he's not a lonely outcast all the time. :D
psychodalmatian
Apr. 12th, 2008 01:44 am (UTC)
That was a great interview. Thanks for sharing.
stickmarionette
Apr. 12th, 2008 10:46 am (UTC)
You're welcome! And your icon is adorable. :D
psychodalmatian
Apr. 12th, 2008 07:42 pm (UTC)
Thanks!:D
alexiscc2000
Apr. 12th, 2008 06:49 am (UTC)
I'd love to read the interview, but I'm hesitant to register on the site ...is it ok?
stickmarionette
Apr. 12th, 2008 10:47 am (UTC)
It's asking you to register? That's weird...

Use www.bugmenot.com :D
( 9 comments — Speak )

Hello there!

Welcome to _fcbarcelona_,
a community made by Barça fans for Barça fans. First of all, not all content posted in this community is available publicly. To view unlimited content in this community you will need to become a member. As a member you can post and discuss the latest Barça news, transfer rumors, fun posts, and live match with other culés.
For more information about us and how to become a member you can view our profile.
Visca Barça!

fcb cocoa
_fcbarcelona_
Futbol Club Barcelona
Twitter

Latest Month

August 2013
S M T W T F S