?

No account? Create an account

Previous | Next

FCB vs Osasuna game

Hi all, I'm new here and hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes, but I enjoyed last night's game so much that I wanted to initiate a discussion with a few observations.

General
Overall a very nice game, I thought, with good communication between the Barca squad members and some beautiful goals, even if it wasn't the 8-0 rout that some fans might have been hoping for. Osasuna played pretty aggressively but basically didn't get near our goal the whole game.

Cesc
Two nice goals, especially the second, an apparently effortless clip over the keeper. He, Xavi, and Dani Alves are playing really well together :).

Puyol
Our Capi was an animal last night! He seemed to be in Osasuna's side for most of the match, and I think he made more attempts than anyone else except for Cesc, Messi, and Dani Alves. Maybe he was serious when he tweeted (with a cute pic) that he hoped Cesc would teach him to score a goal ;).

Xavi
Lovely assists for three of the four goals scored. If Puyol is the heart of this outfit, Xavi is its brains. Much as I love Messi, I hope that Xavi gets the Ballon d'Or this year, I really believe that he deserves it.

Messi
Speaking of which, Leo was reported to be down with the flu yesterday morning, plus he never plays the first game of the year, so I was surprised and delighted to see him on the bench at the beginning of the game, and even more so when he stripped down and came on with a big smile in the second half. He rewarded Pep's trust with a powerful header off Pique Cesc's assist and then a nice curling kick near the post off Xavi's.

(I giggled a lot, a lot when Pep told the press that he wasn't asking Leo if he wanted to play this game because he already knew the answer, plus it was his decision, not Leo's! I'm speculating that he let Leo in because they were winning against Osasuna but not with as wide a margin as they would have liked before playing them away.)

David Villa and Iniesta
Although Iniesta was allowed to practice, Pep kept him off the bench, so he was sitting up in the stands near David Villa. It made me very happy to see them there supporting the team, although I kind of wanted to smack the guy who asked David for a photo while he was trying to get down the stairs on his crutches during halftime. Hopefully Iniesta will be well enough to play next game, and of course I wish David as speedy a recovery as possible. (By the way, David has a blog now; I guess it's a good time for it since he can stay busy and hopefully the fan support will help keep his spirits up.)

Comments

( 35 comments — Speak )
elizaberglund
Jan. 5th, 2012 06:23 pm (UTC)
Welcome here dear! You'll find that we are lovely and funny people here!

Well Puyi is a fierce animal and we all know it!

You know, everytime we play Osasuna I think about this article I read once ... or more like google-translation of it. I know we are not to post stuff without source but I'll write it anyway, feel free to ignore it. So ... this article explained how Puyi babe ended up in La Massia. So: There was a lawyer who worked in Barcelona but was originally from La Pobla and visited his home town regularly. One time he was there he went with some friend to watch the game game between their local team (in Primera Regional -I think it is 5th level) and some other. Our fierce capi was 17 and played for Pobla team. This lawyer guy saw him and was talking with Puyis first coach (? or someone ?) and said that he was good. This old coach (?) said that he was indeed good and that they were thinking about getting him a trail at Osasuna (!) and this lawyer said that they should wait because he knows some people and maybe he could get his a test at La Massia. Needless to say he did what he said and Puyi, his brother and some other boys from Pobla had a trial and our boy got accepted. The rest is history :D ... you don't have to believe it because it is still just what I remember from article I google-translated and cannot find lol
elizaberglund
Jan. 5th, 2012 06:33 pm (UTC)
and btw this lawyer today works for Puyi!
flywoman
Jan. 5th, 2012 06:37 pm (UTC)
Let's see if my messi icon works in comments now that I've updated my browser...

Thanks for the welcome, I am happy to be here and enjoyed translating your post on Puyol's hometown. Spanish is my second language but I'm kind of rusty; hopefully this obsession with football will help me to improve (plus I think I'm starting to understand more Catalan through Barca interviews and Crackovia, jaja).

Puyi is always fierce, but it was funny to keep seeing him all the way over by Osasuna's box trying to score ;).

Thanks for the recap of Puyi's recruitment story, and also for the reminder that we should always post sources - I'll try to make sure to do that.
elizaberglund
Jan. 5th, 2012 06:56 pm (UTC)
Yep! Messi icon is working!

You did a great job! Thanks for that! I'm sure in no time we will all pester you for translations of Catalan articles too, feel warned :D

Yes! I think he had like 3 very close calls really!

hehe I was only explaining that I don't remember the source, otherwise I would have posted it in a post and posted translation (even by google) ... I am so angry I cannot remember it!
(no subject) - flywoman - Jan. 5th, 2012 07:05 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - elizaberglund - Jan. 5th, 2012 07:13 pm (UTC) - Expand
bleeding_dry
Jan. 5th, 2012 07:55 pm (UTC)
Welcome to the comm!!

It was such a great game to end the break. Warmed my heart.
The crowd seemed loud on my feed, and considering it was Copa, that was great news.

Puyi is indeed trying to catch our attention... Not only he's having monster matches lately, but he decided he's gonna score *and* that taking off his shirt is no longer enough - he has to take off his shorts too xDDD

Now seriously, it's great to see he's enjoying so much and doing so well as the right defender in a 3-man defense, since everyone seemed to be so sure he wouldn't have the pace to do so.
flywoman
Jan. 5th, 2012 08:35 pm (UTC)
Thanks for the welcome, and HA HA OMG, I missed that view during the game, but thank you totalBarca! XD

Yes, it's great to see him showing that he's still such a force to be reckoned with... hopefully he'll postpone retirement for a few years yet...
elizaberglund
Jan. 5th, 2012 08:53 pm (UTC)
I missed the short-dropping ... what exactly happened? Not that I'm complaining! At least we got to know that our capi prefers lycra briefs lol
flywoman
Jan. 5th, 2012 09:03 pm (UTC)
Apparently he tore his shorts in a collision with the Osasuna goalkeeper and had to change them on the sidelines.

And I'm definitely not complaining either!!! :D
(no subject) - elizaberglund - Jan. 5th, 2012 09:22 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - flywoman - Jan. 5th, 2012 10:36 pm (UTC) - Expand
effingusernames
Jan. 6th, 2012 07:42 am (UTC)
Puyi can't help it, and i think Pique wants it too, it was funny, i couldn't stop giggling.
effingusernames
Jan. 6th, 2012 07:41 am (UTC)
HI again! :)

I adored this game! Xavi was motm, Cesc is great at taking advantage of good opportunities, Messi is a champ and what else can i say, when he plays when a bit sick and scores 2 in the last half hour. Puyi is a forward at heart isn't he <3

P.s. Didn't Osasuna complain afterwards about us faking Messi sickness in order to trick them and played him again or something? All i have to say to that is, L O L. Please, as if we weren't WINNING BY 2 GOALS before Messi came on and as if we needed to do that. And AS IF we had to make explanations for him being sick and overcoming it to sub on.
He did btw--he has a twitter thing that runs on the Chinese weibo--his tweets are translated, but the posts are made personally by him

Messi:Están diciendo muchas cosas. La verdad es que al mediodía de ayer me sentía mal del estomago y tenía temblores en el cuerpo.

Pero a las 5 de la tarde me desperté después de haber dormido varias horas y llame para avisar que me sentía bien.

Entonces Pep me puso en el banco de suplentes. Todo lo demás que se diga pie ahí no es cierto./
flywoman
Jan. 6th, 2012 01:06 pm (UTC)
Ooh, thanks for the quote. Where can I find this translated Twitter thing?

I had assumed that there must have been complaints because Pep said in his post-game interview that they weren't trying to trick anyone, Messi was sick in the morning but then felt better later on and was able to play. I saw one translated post - can't find it now - where it was reported that Messi had said he had a stomachache earlier (but wasn't vomiting) and decided to skip training but then felt better in the afternoon. But there was no video interview for him, just the other players quoted, so it makes sense that they might have been reporting a tweet or other released statement.

I agree, it was ridiculous to complain. I think they were just relieved that they were losing, but not by so much that they didn't have a shot at winning in the aggregate, and then they saw Messi pulling his pants off and heard the cheering and their hearts sank ;).
effingusernames
Jan. 7th, 2012 02:59 am (UTC)
the twitter thing is this http://t.qq.com/messi
and this is the blog (but i guess it's google translated into Chinese) http://user.qzone.qq.com/622001160/main

he opened them a while ago during a visit to China. It's been confirmed he writes them. (which shows because he talks about food in his blog posts...a lot. :3)

I loved how excited the stadium got when he started warming up, it's so endearing .__.
flywoman
Jan. 7th, 2012 03:20 am (UTC)
Thank you! Ha ha, it sounds just like him (and frankly is much easier for me to understand than his speech, I have a tough time with his accent). Family, football, and food, why am I not surprised? ;)

That's so funny that all of his teammates are interacting on Twitter and he has his account on a separate system, via the Chinese no less.
(no subject) - effingusernames - Jan. 7th, 2012 03:28 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - effingusernames - Jan. 7th, 2012 03:33 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - flywoman - Jan. 7th, 2012 03:43 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - effingusernames - Jan. 7th, 2012 03:46 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - flywoman - Jan. 7th, 2012 03:49 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - effingusernames - Jan. 7th, 2012 03:54 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - flywoman - Jan. 7th, 2012 03:57 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - effingusernames - Jan. 7th, 2012 06:08 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - flywoman - Jan. 8th, 2012 05:35 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - effingusernames - Jan. 8th, 2012 06:23 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - flywoman - Jan. 8th, 2012 08:10 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - effingusernames - Jan. 8th, 2012 08:16 pm (UTC) - Expand
(Deleted comment)
(no subject) - flywoman - Jan. 8th, 2012 05:33 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - effingusernames - Jan. 8th, 2012 06:41 pm (UTC) - Expand
(Deleted comment)
(no subject) - effingusernames - Jan. 9th, 2012 04:16 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - flywoman - Jan. 9th, 2012 04:20 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - effingusernames - Jan. 9th, 2012 05:32 am (UTC) - Expand
(Deleted comment)
flywoman
Jan. 8th, 2012 05:36 pm (UTC)
Thank you! I'm excited to find nice LJ users who share my current obsession.
( 35 comments — Speak )

Hello there!

Welcome to _fcbarcelona_,
a community made by Barça fans for Barça fans. First of all, not all content posted in this community is available publicly. To view unlimited content in this community you will need to become a member. As a member you can post and discuss the latest Barça news, transfer rumors, fun posts, and live match with other culés.
For more information about us and how to become a member you can view our profile.
Visca Barça!

fcb cocoa
_fcbarcelona_
Futbol Club Barcelona
Twitter

Latest Month

August 2013
S M T W T F S