?

No account? Create an account

Previous | Next

Ivan San Antonio did an interview with our babies a while ago - turns out they don't only win our hearts with their adorable twatpics and questionable hairstyles - our boys are the future Bill Gateses and Einsteins as well. Translated by the amaaaaazing emiliana84, so make sure to thank her specifically!

The cliché that football players can’t have an academic career died out long ago” stated Professor Xavier Ramírez, one of their tutors.

“I’m going to Vitesse.” “Well, okay. Good luck, and say hi to el Chapi for me.” This conversation took place between Xavier Ramírez and one of his students, Martí Riverola, at the Institut Químic de Sarrià (IQS) where the youngster is studying Administración y Dirección de Empresa (ADE; Administration and Business Management) along with four other teammates: Ilie Sánchez, Oriol Rosell, Sergi Roberto and Marc Muniesa.

“There is one main difference between working with elite sportsmen and other students. They leave when you least expect it”, explains Ramírez. He and Maria Àngels Portabella are two of the players’ tutors. Their work consists in sorting out the young players’ schedules and timetables: due to their career choice they can’t always show up for class. And it’s not about hanging out at a bar, or playing with their PlayStation: their leaves of absence are linked with training, transfers and NT call-ups.

Riverola managed to pass three subjects in Arnhem, where he stayed for half a season. “This kind of students, elite football players, are really hard-working, they are gifted with self-control, discipline and perseverance. Not to say other students don’t have these positive traits, it’s just less common” Portabella explains; besides being their tutor, she also gives them lessons in Verbal and Written Communication. “This particular class is very useful for their career as football players; it helps them both with press conferences and in their relationships with their teammates.”

These five Barça B youths who balance their football career with university usually attend about 10 hours of classes per week, some with their fellow students and some with private tutors. For other compulsory classes they resort to new technologies [computer, internet etc.] in order to keep up.

Tomorrow Ilie Sánchez will undergo surgery for the fourth time this season: he has a problem in his left Achilles tendon left from his first surgery. He will be staying at the hospital for 2-3 weeks. Ramírez doesn’t seem bothered by it: “He’s a very smart boy, he won’t have any problems even though he won’t be coming to class for the next two weeks.”

Barça is the patron

It’s the club that pays for their education at this private university. Barça helps them grown on two fronts: as players and as students. “The cliché that football players can’t have an academic career died out long ago” explains Professor Ramírez. “Take Unzué, Zubizarreta or Txiki Begiristain. They are well-prepared professionals and they used to be professional football players. Life is long, and there are less and less “ruined footballers” these days.” [LOL how dramatic]

The connection between IQS, which is part of Ramon Llull University, and FC Barcelona dates back a few years, when La Masia professor Rubén Bonastre first decided to enroll one of his students there. From then on this link has strengthened, and today there are five players who are studying Administration and Business Management (ADE in Spanish) at IQS.

“Barça is one of the clubs who are doing the most to enhance the education of professional footballers, to try and fight against the aforementioned clichés. There are still no first team players with a degree, but I have no doubt that there will be some in the future.”
Portabella adds that “These boys have very bright minds, they do. They do everything their peers do, only with different schedules.” ADE courses usually last four years, although it will take Sergi Roberto, Muniesa, Rosell, Ilie and Riverola five or six years to graduate. Something that doesn’t bother them in the least.

Today Sergi Roberto has a maths exam. Last Sunday he played with Barça B against Guadalajara at the Mini Estadi and yesterday he had training and then classes in the afternoon.
One of the most promising players of the Blaugrana youth teams in the morning (he made his Champions League debut at the Santiago Bernabéu stadium), in the afternoon he becomes a regular 19-year-old student attending ADE lessons at IQS.
And with him, four other teammates are doing the same. Football isn’t everything at Barça, which is indeed més que un club.

A Youth System full of university students

Besides those five players studying ADE at IQS, there are five other teammates who are pursuing different academic careers: Montoya, Bartra, Planas, Miño and Sergi Gómez. 10 out of the 26 players that make up Barça B.

Full article in Spanish at: http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/guapos-buenos-estudiantes-118653

Side notes - OP did some stalking and it turns out that the rest of the bbs Marc Bartra, Carles Planas, Martin Montoya (and ex-Barca bbs Ruben Rochina and Oriol Romeu) study sports sciences, while bb Fontass does Physical Education. Here's a video of some bbs talking pretty stuff about studying:

And now a tiny mini-spam, it's late, feel free to spam away!

;_______________;

Comments

( 14 comments — Speak )
effingusernames
Nov. 4th, 2011 04:54 am (UTC)
TY emiliana84!!
i find it adorable they're all studying something sports related lol

Muniesa looks like a combination of Puyi and Pique...idk. It's weird..
kitty69lover
Nov. 4th, 2011 05:19 am (UTC)
he is their love child :)
effingusernames
Nov. 4th, 2011 05:34 am (UTC)
...ok. NOW the mind is wandering...
footballfangirl
Nov. 4th, 2011 05:16 am (UTC)
They're so adorbs. Our bbs are just flawless.
kitty69lover
Nov. 4th, 2011 05:21 am (UTC)
this is so awesome and i'm so proud of them!!

thanks emiliana84 for the translation :D
lkden
Nov. 4th, 2011 06:00 am (UTC)
Have I been gone that long that I didn't notice Sergi got a haircut. Someone tell me this is a new development. ;__;

They're all so flawless. I want to cry.
grande_latte
Nov. 4th, 2011 07:31 am (UTC)
Im very proud of them so hard working and amazing
rufusthekatt
Nov. 4th, 2011 08:50 am (UTC)
So flawless :') Thanks for translating!

OT, when did we get a new layout? It's beautifuuul!! :D
emiliana84
Nov. 4th, 2011 01:02 pm (UTC)
dear lawd this post... I have to lunch rn but later I'mma spam it like there's no tomorrow lkjahslkdhasljkfhkjas
faithnomore
Nov. 4th, 2011 02:44 pm (UTC)

fits every post about these boys though
bloolikejazz
Nov. 5th, 2011 12:25 am (UTC)
i think i'm gonna need a moment or 10 with the last picture
excuse as i go molest my wrist

also these guys must be time mgmt geniuses
like such intense training and being a part of a huge team

"Besides those five players studying ADE at IQS, there are five other teammates who are pursuing different academic careers: Montoya, Bartra, Planas, Miño and Sergi Gómez."
i remember i read bartra was in school and was surprised when i didnt see him mentioned in the beginning but when i got to this paragraph i was like...ohhhhh
walker_sarah
Nov. 5th, 2011 12:18 pm (UTC)
I LOVE THE NEW LAYOUT SO MUCH <333

I THINK IT'S BETTER THAN THE LAST ONE

I think I'd hit all of them tbh
reshuffled
Nov. 5th, 2011 01:12 pm (UTC)
I think I'd hit all of them tbh Couldn't agree more tbh

reshuffled
Nov. 5th, 2011 01:13 pm (UTC)
Thanks as always, Emily <3
( 14 comments — Speak )

Hello there!

Welcome to _fcbarcelona_,
a community made by Barça fans for Barça fans. First of all, not all content posted in this community is available publicly. To view unlimited content in this community you will need to become a member. As a member you can post and discuss the latest Barça news, transfer rumors, fun posts, and live match with other culés.
For more information about us and how to become a member you can view our profile.
Visca Barça!

fcb cocoa
_fcbarcelona_
Futbol Club Barcelona
Twitter

Latest Month

August 2013
S M T W T F S