?

No account? Create an account

Previous | Next

wtf!!

Barça considering shirt sponsor

According to Catalan paper Sport, Barça is looking into putting advertising on their shirts, with the marketing department already working with various formulas to maximize profit from the clothing of the Barça first team.

The following is a translation of Sport‘s article, the original can be found here.

The old debate about the need to put advertising on the kits of the first team has returned yet again. As time passes,  the increasing financial demands become greater and the international price of FC Barcelona appreciates as never before. As acknowledged by the board, the club is looking at collecting a minimum of 25 million euros per season.

The club has been studying various ways to increase income. Because of this, marketing has gained importance and the fact is that FC Barcelona is the only major world football club not earning advertising revenue from the first team kit. Instead of making money, the club spends money. The agreement with UNICEF means that the club spends every season. Nothing has been decided, but a period of consultations has been opened to scrutinize the market and to see what options it offers.

Barça’s board of directors are looking at three options. In the first, the idea is to find a main sponsor displayed only on the front of the shirt. That is, the branding found on the shirts of most clubs. It is the most profitable option as the Barça shirt is the most popular shirt on the market today. As reflected in various studies, the club would be able to demand payment of around 25 million euros. This is two or three million more than currently generated by other clubs like Real Madrid.

The second option would be to have the advertising on the back of the shirt. Wear the sponsorship just below the number for a financial gain of about 12 million euros.

Another consideration is the third option, to advertise on the players’ shorts. This is a more modest initiative, although in the case of the shirts, Barça would bring in substantial revenue of between 6 and 12 million euros.

Agreement with UNICEF

Barça have an existing agreement with UNICEF, although the international agency already is fully aware of the studies being carried out by the club. The original intention of the board of directors is to maintain and even extend the presence of UNICEF with the Barcelona image. The club did not want to lose the enormous social significance that goes along with the agreement between UNICEF and Barça, but they are trying to make it compatible with the dividends that arrive with a corporation on the shirt.

UNICEF understands the economic demands and will accept willingly any of the solutions that are presented from the offices of the Camp Nou. The most plausible route would be to give the front of the shirt to another brand while UNICEF would be moved to a new location on the sleeves. There will be no conflict in the case that the board wishes to vary their current policy.

Sandro Rosell has already warned during the election process that all future options remain open, including a shirt sponsor, although there will be some minimum requirements. Barça, as one of the world’s best clubs, would only be willing to associate their image with a brand that was in the same situation. Barça will only yield its image to a multinational project/company that holds and could contribute further to the international values that the club currently defends and promotes.

These requirements rule out some sponsors that have been suggested in recent years, since the current board has stated that they will not use sponsors from the bunch of companies related to gambling, betting or practices that contrast somewhat with the values advocated by UNICEF. The international market is restricted, but the club is aware of possible deals that from now will be sorted and analyzed. The shirt is already on the market and has a price.

Source: http://www.totalbarca.com/2010/news/barca-considering-shirt-sponsor/

Comments

( 57 comments — Speak )
Page 1 of 3
<<[1] [2] [3] >>
kitty69lover
Dec. 9th, 2010 07:13 pm (UTC)
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH yes, i saw this on twitter earlier and raged. this is a monstrosity and it's a mockery of our entire history.

renigallagher
Dec. 9th, 2010 07:14 pm (UTC)
don't tell me that there is no other way to make some money, Sandro
kitty69lover
Dec. 9th, 2010 07:20 pm (UTC)
they could pimp most of the Masia + Bo & other jungsters.

not that i'd have the money....
(no subject) - renigallagher - Dec. 9th, 2010 07:21 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - ardiramidus - Dec. 10th, 2010 03:03 am (UTC) - Expand
bassino
Dec. 9th, 2010 07:15 pm (UTC)
Rosell Must be Stopped.
dfotw
Dec. 9th, 2010 07:15 pm (UTC)
I am praying that this is just a stupid rumour, but knowing Rosell... I'm afraid.

:(
bassino
Dec. 9th, 2010 07:19 pm (UTC)
He's the devil in disguise, God I hate him..
(no subject) - dfotw - Dec. 9th, 2010 10:44 pm (UTC) - Expand
roaringmay
Dec. 9th, 2010 07:16 pm (UTC)
The example pictures they put in the end look like the sponsor's logo would be on the player's butts
Which would probably make me spend money on whatever the sponsor stands for, idk
ipomoea
Dec. 9th, 2010 07:28 pm (UTC)
Let's look on the bright side... if we all pooled our money and bought the sponsorship and made them put it across the backs of their shorts, we would literally own all their asses. ;)
thirstyforlife
Dec. 9th, 2010 09:21 pm (UTC)
LOL I like the way you think :D
(no subject) - san - Dec. 10th, 2010 12:12 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - walker_sarah - Dec. 10th, 2010 10:27 am (UTC) - Expand
reshuffled
Dec. 9th, 2010 07:30 pm (UTC)
This is a travesty. :(
kitty69lover
Dec. 9th, 2010 07:50 pm (UTC)
and the worst part is that the money isn't even that much to have a serious impact on the debt that's being invoked.
angualupin
Dec. 9th, 2010 07:56 pm (UTC)
The only reason why Rosell's been invoking the debt in the first place (with all the creative accounting that went in to quanitifying it) is so he could do this.
(no subject) - kitty69lover - Dec. 9th, 2010 08:03 pm (UTC) - Expand
angualupin
Dec. 9th, 2010 07:54 pm (UTC)
...Are people surprised by this? This has been Rosell's stated goal since before he was elected. It's Rosell, guys. He's out for all the money he can get.
suzie_srk
Dec. 9th, 2010 08:00 pm (UTC)

No, no, NO. Promoting Unicef instead of advertising a company is a BIG part of what is so great about this club! Please NO!!!
roseofdarkness
Dec. 9th, 2010 08:50 pm (UTC)
THIS!
This is part of the reason that I fell in love with this team in the first place. UGH >:[
Re: THIS! - ardiramidus - Dec. 10th, 2010 03:04 am (UTC) - Expand
Re: THIS! - reshuffled - Dec. 10th, 2010 05:27 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - abfabregas - Dec. 9th, 2010 11:52 pm (UTC) - Expand
lucy_barker
Dec. 9th, 2010 08:01 pm (UTC)
I'm not surprised at all, I expected no less from Sandro.

I can only not understand the "why". We are More Than A Club for fuck's sake! It's part of our philosophy!!! If you want to make money that desperately Sandro, then sell Hleb, Keirrison and all the others who you know will never play for the first team. Not that I have any problem with them, but I seriously don't see the meaning in having them out on loan for years. Sell them, make money and leave the kit alone.

Forca UNICEF!
pansylove
Dec. 9th, 2010 11:33 pm (UTC)
There must be a way to raise funds without cooperate sponsorship. It would terribly disappointing if this were to happen. :(
grande_latte
Dec. 9th, 2010 11:40 pm (UTC)
can we just hold a bake sale instead to raise money?

roseofdarkness
Dec. 10th, 2010 02:48 am (UTC)
I'll offer my baking services and offer to do face-painting. We should totally do a carnival/fair thing to raise money for Barça!
(no subject) - grande_latte - Dec. 10th, 2010 02:54 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - ardiramidus - Dec. 10th, 2010 03:04 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - grande_latte - Dec. 10th, 2010 03:11 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - ardiramidus - Dec. 10th, 2010 03:21 am (UTC) - Expand
hiisunshineee
Dec. 10th, 2010 06:05 am (UTC)
Barcelona will today announce a deal with "Qatar Foundation" as shirt sponsor. Deal worth 150M for 5 years.

: /
reshuffled
Dec. 10th, 2010 06:21 am (UTC)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BRB googling Qatar Foundation
(no subject) - pansylove - Dec. 10th, 2010 06:54 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - bassino - Dec. 10th, 2010 12:32 pm (UTC) - Expand
effingusernames
Dec. 10th, 2010 06:31 am (UTC)
it's to be expected i guess, look at like..every club, they all have sponsorships across their shirts...*sigh* club's gotta make money what can i say
Page 1 of 3
<<[1] [2] [3] >>
( 57 comments — Speak )

Hello there!

Welcome to _fcbarcelona_,
a community made by Barça fans for Barça fans. First of all, not all content posted in this community is available publicly. To view unlimited content in this community you will need to become a member. As a member you can post and discuss the latest Barça news, transfer rumors, fun posts, and live match with other culés.
For more information about us and how to become a member you can view our profile.
Visca Barça!

fcb cocoa
_fcbarcelona_
Futbol Club Barcelona
Twitter

Latest Month

August 2013
S M T W T F S