?

No account? Create an account

26 July 2005 @ 12:05 pm
morning after repercussions  
The sun shining on my face wakes me slowly. This is how every day should start, no alarms, no real need to be anywhere, do anything, a warm body  beside me…

My eyes fly open as I register that last part.

There’s no sign of a hangover, and I seem to be more or less fully clothed, so what the hell? I shift a little, trying to see who it is without waking them up, but the space we’re in is too tight to move properly. It’s… a car seat. As I realize that the rest falls into place. I’d driven on through the night until I was too tired to see properly and somehow I didn’t think Lindsey would appreciate me crashing his truck from having fallen asleep at the wheel. There was still no sign of anyone following us – cops or otherwise – so when we got to a clear stretch of nothingness I pulled over, parked up and stretched out in the back. Lindsey was already asleep on the passenger side by that point so I didn’t argue the case. Until the rain started that is.

No way I was going to sleep under a tarp when there was a perfectly good seat in the warm and –above all - dry cab. So I climbed in and managed to get comfortable enough to drift off. Not really sure how the pair of us ended up manoeuvring round so we’re both lying across the bench seat like this, he’s pretty much spooning me from behind and… yup, that’s his arm around my waist holding me in place. If I move any more than I have I’ll wake him, and after that forced run from the law yesterday, I figure he needs to sleep.

Looks like I’m stuck here for a while. Guess there’s worse places I could be. I play idly with the silver bracelet he’s got on, interesting design – not really something I’dda thought lawyer-boy would go for but hey, all kinds of preconceptions are getting shattered on this particular road trip.

His breathing changes a little and he moves his head closer to mine, he’s about to wake up. Time to mess with his head a little I think.

I put on my sultriest voice, dripping with honey, and say softly, “Morning lover.”

lost_lawyer on July 26th, 2005 01:29 pm (UTC)
There should be a way of bottling the feeling, the glow between sleep and waking, the moment before reality hits and kicks you in the teeth. This moment.

Warm, soft skin under my hand, womanly scent filling my nostrils, no barriers. Feels good to feel safe for once.

Eyes still closed I move closer, trying to breathe in more of that intoxicating scent when she speaks and the world comes crashing back in.

Faith.

I pull back, or try to, problem is I'm back as far as I can get, the seat's in the way and...

"What the hell?"
faith_misplaced on July 26th, 2005 01:36 pm (UTC)
I fight the grin as he jerks away from me, sounds like he cracked his head on the seat there. I make a show of stretching out and prop myself up so I can see his face. Shocked doesn't begin to cover it.

"Was it good for you?"
lost_lawyer on July 26th, 2005 01:56 pm (UTC)
I close my eyes for a second, jeez how drunk was I last night? As if things weren't complicated enough... I open my eyes again and meet her gaze. I wasn't drunk last night, didn't need to be because nothing happened. You'd think I'd be used to this kind of manipulation, I worked alongside Lilah for long enough.

"Honestly? I've had better." I grin as her jaw drops, she hadn't been expecting me to react like that. Obviously she thought she could mess with me a little without any comeback. Too bad she didn't know who she was dealing with.

"Don't try and kid a kidder, sweetheart." I wink at her, wondering briefly when I got comfortable enough with her to banter.
faith_misplaced on July 26th, 2005 03:15 pm (UTC)
I don't even try to hide the surprise, he's been awake for thirty seconds and he's meeting the challenge? I'm impressed.

I hold my hand over my heart as if I've been shot. "You mean... I wasn't your first?"

I grin slyly and match his wink with one of my own. Least things are getting interesting finally.
lost_lawyer on July 27th, 2005 07:14 am (UTC)
I let a bit of honey drip into my voice, "Faith, I doubt any one alive can lay claim to that title."

I shift a little, the crick's back in my neck. "Where are we anyway?"
faith_misplaced on July 27th, 2005 07:24 am (UTC)
Wow, I really am impressed. Never seen anyone come awake so quickly, little bit of morning snark and then straight down to business. Makes me wonder when the last time lawyer-boy took time out, had some fun.

I let my eyes drift over him, good looking guy like him must have had a string of typing-pool types trying to bed him. Wonder if he even noticed?

As my eyes track back towards his face I can see the glint in his eyes, oh yeah - he noticed all right. Whether he took advantage or not, now that's the question. Something tells me that he probably did, though not as often as he could've. Something about the way he's been treating me since we hooked up hints at a kind of attitude I've not seen in a while. Like he's been brought up a gentleman, showing respect.

Then I remember how he treated that legal bitch who got her talons into me, Lilah that was her name, no respect there at all.

Guy's a regular enigma, s'what he is.

I turn and look out the windscreen, "Middle of nowhere, just like yesterday, and the day 'fore that, and the day 'fore that." I turn back and face him again. "We goin' anywhere in particular or are you just going to keep going 'til you hit the Pacific?"
lost_lawyer on July 27th, 2005 09:22 am (UTC)
Wait a second, is she checking me out? Huh. Funny how I never really looked at her as anything more than a tool I could use, a weapon. It hits me that maybe I'm just the latest in a long line of people to look at her like that.

Maybe that's why she puts on this big show of being overtly sexual, to try to prove to herself that she's something more than just something to be used and thrown aside.

Damn, I will not get into this again. She is a weapon, she's here to keep them from getting to me, that's all. And yeah, so she's got this whole allure thing going for her, but she knows she's got it and that somehow makes her less attractive.

I sigh, this is not going to be Darla all over again.

"Nowhere specific," I say in answer to her question. Truth is I hadn't really planned much more than getting out of town. Now I have, what next?

faith_misplaced on July 27th, 2005 09:57 am (UTC)
All sorts of emotions seem to go through his eyes, but none of them actually make it onto his face. Neat trick. If I wasn't paying such close attention I wouldn't have seen anything more than someone thinking before he spoke.

Then, just as he speaks, it's like there's a wall comes crashing down and even though I'm pretty much sitting on top of him, I feel like I'm further away than I've ever felt.

I shift a little on the seat, giving him some room if he wants it, but he doesn't back away. Why is it so hard to read this guy?

"So what, we're just running from them? Okay, now I'm not the best planner in the world, but dontcha think there should be some sort of plan here? Running *from* something's never as good as running *to* something."

The memory of me leaving Boston comes crashing into my mind, running from that mess only got me in a deeper one which in a way I guess I'm still running from.
lost_lawyer on July 27th, 2005 10:27 am (UTC)
"Or maybe I... we shouldn't be running at all." I let my head drop back against the door. What's the point? They're going to find me, they're the experts at it. The only reason I've made it this far is they're playing with me, like a cat playing with a mouse.

"Maybe this was a mistake, maybe you should take off. I can get you some cash, get you on a bus somewhere." Wow, when did I start to care about anyone else?
faith_misplaced on July 27th, 2005 02:24 pm (UTC)
I rock back, that kinda came out of left field. The way he moved there, it's like he's given up. I frown, can't be what happened at the motel, we got away didn't we? He barely needed my help anyway...

Understanding begins to dawn, he must hate having to ask for help. Especially from me, since my help came with the huge 'Angel' condition attached.

Guy's got a lot of pride, can't have been easy for him to swallow it and go to his arch-enemy like that.

"Nuh-uh buster." I grin a little, pretending I haven't seen how down he is right now. "You're not getting rid of me that easy." I shift some more and when he doesn't take the hint I grab his legs and swing them round so I can actually grab some bench instead of perching on the edge like some kind of etiquette queen.

"Never seen much of that 'purple mountain majesty', think I'm giving up on a free road trip just 'cause there's no end in sight? Think again."
lost_lawyer on July 28th, 2005 10:07 am (UTC)
I snap my head up as she grabs my legs, part of me's still expecting every contact to end in violence, but she just moves me out of the way so she can sit properly.

When she knocks back my offer to leave a kind of relief floods through me, and that puzzles me. If I'm pleased she's going to stick around then that must mean I think there's something to stick around for. Like I think there's a future.

A wistful smile appears on my face, "We need coffee then. No plans should be made without the benefit of caffeine."

And I shouldn't talk to anyone before coffee. It's been too long since I woke up with someone else right there, I'd forgotten how easy it is to fall into that maudlin mindset where everything seems stacked against me. Makes me too vulnerable.