March 3rd, 2011

"Our Universe at Home Within a Larger Universe? So Suggests Physicist's Wormhole Research"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/04/100406172648.htm

" if a black hole can form from the gravitational collapse of matter through an event horizon in the future then the reverse process is also possible. Such a process would describe an exploding white hole: matter emerging from an event horizon in the past, like the expanding universe."

How many movies have I seen where our universe is within another universe, which is within another universe, which is...you get the point.

My question is this: within such a scenario of universes munching away on each other via black-holes and pooping the results out via white-holes, what's the point? This entire cycle, which can be visualized as a snake eating a snake, is endless, and an perpetually 'recycling' snake at that.

What I mean by 'recycling' is that everything one universe builds will eventually come to not. This is the cosmic forecast made by astronomers: either our universe expands forever and, as the last star fizzles out, the universe freezes OR we expand as much as possible, then something makes us contract into a so-called "big crunch". Either way our universe gets done-in.

It doesn't really matter on a scale that you, I, our species, our planet or even our sun or galaxy can fathom. But, really, what's the point of all this development, this change and this life?

Say we've finally made it to light-speed travel, we're cruising the stars and sowing our seeds as we go. We're populating the stars with life, and we've finally gotten over our own murderous-human psychology. Through us, life is united in a single goal of spreading and people are immortal/long-lived, happy, intelligent, etc.

What is life to pass on through black-holes? Any knowledge or material? Spirits and souls? Simply the physical mass of its matter?

The end of the known universe is something I've reflected on many times before. The universe coming to an end is simply an extension of our individual lives doing the same.