This is a community open to all LJ users who enjoy debating about all sorts of topics, such as politics, the environment, education, etc. Members are welcome to post entries about topics that they would like to discuss. All debate and discussion relating to the entry will take place through comment threads. This community will be expected to uphold a certain amount of maturity and respect for all other debaters. There is no debate system. This is just informal discussion for people who like to argue their opinions. After joining the community, post an entry introducing yourself, but not before reading the rules. Please, please, please take the time to read the rules, or you'll be sorry, I promise.
1. Respect others and they will respect you back. Respect others, and I will not ban you. Disrespect others, and you will promptly be removed from the membership list and will be forever banned. It's as simple as that.
2. Keep the topics mature. This is not a forum to talk about your sex life or whether or not Abercrombie and Fitch is better than American Eagle. Take that elsewhere; there are plenty of communtities that will welcome that types of discussion. This is not one such community.
3. Note that while an attempt to use adequate grammar and punctuation is highly encouraged, not all members will likely be native English speakers, so respect EVERYONE. No bashing people's English, unless it really is illegible oR It LoOkZ lYke ThIz!!!11!1!!!one!
4. Related to number three, this community will be held as much as possible in English only. It makes the mods' job easier. I'm sorry that it has to be this way; when I become fluent in twenty languages, I will inform everyone and immediately change the rules.
5. After you join, post an entry introducing yourself and why you would like to debate. Use a LJ cut. In either the subject or the cut line, write 'I'd like to make a point...' so that the Mods know you have read the rules. Otherwise, you will not be made a member.
6. Take a peek at the current entries in the community before writing a new entry. There's a chance that someone has just recently brought up the topic or issue that you want to talk about.
7. Posting links to online newspapers, journals, and columns is highly encouraged, even if there is no debate question to go along with it. It's important that we try to share with each other the issues that we feel passionately about.
8. Once last time...be respectful. No vulgarity. I'm not a censor bot. If people choose to use colorful language, I will not go nuts unless it gets way out of hand. I would just like to point out, however, that using such language when you're trying to debate a topic only makes you look like an idiot. However, we all slip into idiocy sometimes, even me (especially me, I guess), so I won't be a hypocrite. Just keep your tempers in check as much as possible, okay? I'm not asking for the world (I wish).
Currently there is only one, and that's me (katherine8504). If and when this community grows, I will be posting applications for a new mod or two, because, believe it or not, I'm a busy girl. Really, I am.