Mod Note Corner: If you are interested in joining the community, please make note of the change in rule number 5 for applicants.
This is a community for serious writers of fiction, non-fiction, and poetry. It will serve as a community for the growth of writers and the discussion of the craft of writing. Excercises for the growth of writing will be offered up every few weeks, and any time a member wishes to post a piece for criticism, the community is open to that.
If you would like to join the community, please submit an application of your work today (following the rules below).
1. Those interested in joining are allowed to submit an application, consisting of at least 3 and no more than 5 pieces of literature, including any combination of poetry, prose and non-fiction (please no feature articles, editorials, and NO fanfiction). Members reserve the right, in the event of a close vote between yes/no, to ask for another sample. Please limit prose to around 2 - 4 paragraphs (if your paragraphs are short, or you are including dialogue, feel free to add some more. Do not, however, go too far in bending this rule).
2. Applications should be lj-cut to keep the forum uncluttered.
3. The application period is usually two weeks, during that time the members of the community will be allowed to critique the work and vote on the application.
4. A simple yes majority of the votes after the application period will earn a spot among the Chicken Scratchers.
5. Applicants are required to crit AT THE VERY LEAST, two recent member posts. This is PART OF THE PROCESS, since we want to know what kind of critiquer applicants are. REMINDER: applicants ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITIQUE OTHER APPLICANTS. This means keep to member posts, a list of recent posts is provided every fortnight or so by the mods, so just scroll down on the main page and find the most recent update.
6. If you are rejected, the members strongly encourage you to reapply after 30 days.
7. The only info we need on the application (aside from your pieces) is your name/pen name.
Rules for Scratched Members
1. You are allowed to post works for criticism as long as you vote on applications and criticise others works.
2. Writing excercises will be put up every week or two, you are encouraged to participate in them.
3. This community strongly promotes the discussion of the art of writing. If you would like to post a topic, please feel free.
4. Discussion of literature and famous/classic authors is also strongly encouraged.
5. Please place, "Scratched:" in the subject line of your entries in response to the Writing Excercises or when offering a work up for criticism.