March 23rd, 2004

Stila

Searing Regret:

From The Writer’s Idea Book by Jack Heffron, pp. 116-117:

REGRET

Feelings of guilt and regret can be devastating, and they can be tenacious. As much as we are aware of them, try as we might to exorcize them, they can persist. And because we feel them so deeply, they can be a good source of ideas for writing. Sometimes writing about them can be a way to dispel their hold on us. However you approach them, don’t ignore them as a source for ideas. In the opening pages of his novel, The Sportswriter, Richard Ford Establishes regret as a major theme by addressing it directly in the voice of his narrator, Frank Bascombe. Bascombe leads a lonely life of failed ambition and a failed marriage, and he copes, too, with the loss of a child. Through most of the novel, he battles regret:

“For now let me say only this: if sportswriting teaches you anything, and there is much truth to it as well as plenty of lies, it is that for your life to be worth anything you must sooner or later face the possibility of terrible, searing regret. Though you must also manage to avoid it, as your life will be ruined.

PROMPT: Write about a regret you feel or that you struggled for some time to put to rest. What did you do or not do that led to the regret? How did you manage to put it to rest? How does it affect your life now?

PROMPT: What would your life be like now if you had done or not done something that you regret? Indulge the feeling for a while and write about this different life.

PROMPT: Write about a character who feels deep regret about some part of his life. Put the character in a scene so readers can see his regret in action. If possible, don’t address the regret directly. Allow it to inform his behavior, but don’t try to explain it.

PROMPT: Create a metaphor for regret, a physical object that embodies the feeling or allows you to explore the feeling in a fresh way. Begin with a metaphorical statement: “Regret is...” and move from there. If you prefer to write fiction, use the line in a scene, perhaps to begin a scene.”

Remember, the topic above is a suggestion. Feel free to tackle the subject of "Regret" however you want. You may choose one or all of the prompts- or even think of something new. The passage may be fiction or non-fiction. The ONLY requirement is that you make youself write at least 100 words.

If you, like me, need deadlines:
THIS ASSIGNMENT IS DUE THURSDAY 12 NOON EST.
  • Current Mood
    creative
flipflops

Regret

PROMPT: Write about a character who feels deep regret about some part of his life. Put the character in a scene so readers can see his regret in action. If possible, don’t address the regret directly. Allow it to inform his behavior, but don’t try to explain it.

BleeCollapse )
Stila

Regrets

PROMPT: Create a metaphor for regret, a physical object that embodies the feeling or allows you to explore the feeling in a fresh way. Begin with a metaphorical statement: “Regret is...” and move from there. If you prefer to write fiction, use the line in a scene, perhaps to begin a scene.”

Regrets. 140 words.Collapse )

Not my best effort ever- but I DID IT!
Me - hair
  • megh

(no subject)

Tenacious, that’s the word you'd use. The books spread out over her desk seemed to nearly swallow her whole, something you often remarked on with a grin. Coffee cups stained from days of constant refilling stood on top of piles of papers, that were stacked this way and that in some arcane system of organization that no one but she could even begin to fathom. Truthfully, no one had ever even tried. She was always there, it seemed. The bright spot in a dark office, her lamp on long after everyone had left.

Regret - 289 WordsCollapse )
  • Current Music
    Fuel - Shimmer
politics

Regret

You sit in the pew, listening to the perfect song played on the ancient pipe organ, your hair beautifully coiffed, your makeup more perfect than you could ever have done yourself. The tasteful silk suit your daughter picked out for you blends elegantly with the bridesmaids' dresses. The orchid on your lapel smells sickeningly sweet.
Read more...Collapse )
Why Me? Penguin

Regret

Cafe Window- 261 wordsCollapse )
  • Current Mood
    tired tired