Maaike
maaiker
_belong

• Mood:

Ouran High School Host Club

1. Name: Maaike

2. Age: 18 (19 on the 15th)

3. Gender: Female

4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP? How do you feel these hobbies/interests contribute to your personality?
I draw a lot. I'm a horrible daydreamer and I usually put that on paper. Drawing comforts me when I'm sad, entertains me when I'm bored and makes me feel good. People always talk about talent, but I don't believe in that. When people started to notice and complement me about my drawings I felt good an drew more. With more and more practice my drawing became better and even more people complimented en noticed it and so the circle keeps on going. Drawing is definitely my way of getting attention and admiration. I've noticed that I even pay more attention when I'm busy drawing. Most teachers don't get that and get annoyed about it, only one didn't mind and I always got easy grades while my whole notebook was covered in doodles and drawings. He never minded and even asked me if I could draw him a portrait after I drew a random figurine on a exam paper ^^;;
Anyway my other hobby that consumes most of my time is collecting manga's and going to the movies. I know all the general plot lines and main characters of the upcoming and recent movies (movies not older then 3 years) and I can tell you an in dept review of 1/4 of all the movies that are currently in the cinema or recently out. The same thing go's for translated (English-German-Dutch) manga's. I currently own 239 of them from various producers and all kinds of genres. My favourite genres would be horror/romance/drama/mystery and preferably set in the Victorian era (I love the clothing they wore around that time). I love movies and manga's because it feeds my daydreams and it improves my drawing skills.

5. Which Harry Potter character do you feel you can relate to the most? Explain. Which character is your favorite? Again, explain.
I can relate to Ginny, in the books they have described her as a very shy girl at first and in the second book she even felt victim to the Dark Lord. You'd think she would get even worse after that, but she didn't. In fact she became more confident in herself and at her abilities. That's me in a nutshell. I was born a spoiled brat, but after my father left us and my siblings began moving out of the house I became an introvert. In high school my mom got cancer and survived after a year of treatment, that would be the most depressing part of my (oh so short) life, after that I went to an Art College, which I couldn't stand the fist year. I was not until I broke up with my boyfriend that I realized that the environment was not totally the blame. It was me. And I wanted to change. I wanted to become more popular, I wanted more friends, I wanted to live a life. When I realized that I knew that was necessary and simply changed things. Just like Ginny, I think she knew that she had potential and simply brought it out. Unlike her brother Ron, she knows what she has, and make all use of it.
And favourite is Snape... Yes, even after the Half Blood Prince. I find him more than intriguing. I'm totally against the Dark Arts but that does not mean that I have no respect for it, or those who wield it. Snape in particular because he manages to balance it, otherwise Dumbledore would not have trusted him. Which is probably the hardest of all. I love the sarcastic remarks he makes, it's more than just annoying (like Draco's) but always manages to push peoples buttons (I almost died laughing at Spinners End). Adding to that, I always respect teachers who are tough on their students, but only if they truly know their subject. No other character has fascinated me like Snape does. I never really liked Dubledore that much, I always have the feeling that he just uses every one as a bunch of pawns, but perhaps that's just me. So I hardly have any grudge over Snape killing Dubledore... Hmm that sounded crueler than expected ghehe.

6. Give us the reasons for and against you being sorted into each of the houses.
a. Gryffindor
For: Passionate, independent, deviant, strong, protecting, bold.
I am very passionate in sports and drawing. I'm independent, not waiting for someone to support me in order to do or to get something. I'm defiant, I stand out and speak my mind when I want to or when I think it's necessary. I'm a strong person I do not back away from a fight or discussion but I will admit my wrongs. I'm honest, I will tell you what I think of you if you ask for it. I'm very protecting of those who are close to me. When I'm in a new situation I react rather boldly to everything because I hate to appear weak.
Against. I'm not impulsive, rash or brave, only when it's concerning my friends I will act slightly more impulsive, but otherwise, I'm pretty much to myself and down to earth.

b. Hufflepuff
For: Loyal, hardworking.
I'm fiercely loyal to my friends and I'm working hard to achieve my goals.
Against: I'm not open and understanding to people who have not yet gained my trust. I prefer going my own way not huddling together.

c. Ravenclaw
For: Wise, knowledgeable, logic, love for books & history, love for learning.
I've been trough a lot so I'm knowledgeable about almost all issues of life and fazes. I tend to be the shrink towards my troubled friends. I'm logic, I tend to see the answers to a problem faster than anyone else (quite like Luna). I love reading books in different languages. I LOVE learning history, it's always is a source of inspiration for me. I love learning a new words (I have 2 dictionaries -Dutch/English - English/Dutch - just behind my computer cause I stand trow tantrums can't when I don't know how to spell a word) I love learning totally new things.
Against: I'm careless, I don't give a damn about my grades, because I'm dyslectic as hell I hardly study for exams and tests. I'm not studious at all. I hate it when teachers repeat things that I already know.

d. Slytherin
For: Ambition, independent, revengeful, distrusting, indifferent.
I have a lot of ambition to become an illustrator I'm not shy to act like the teachers pet when it's necessary. Knowing that my ambition will lessen my friend's chances of becoming an illustrator doesn't stop me. I'm independent, I do not like to rely on anyone. I'm revengeful and distrusting, I do not easily forget what was done to me. I will use my knowledge of you and my wit to kill your pathetic ego in public. I'm indifferent, I honestly do not care what others think of me. I am me, and you shall do better if you just take me for who I am.
Against: It is really hard to get on my bad side, that I'm distrusting does not mean that I show it. I'm rather patient with people and it takes a LOT to get me to hate anyone.

7. What was your least favorite moment in HP?
The whole Draco obsession in HPB, it was so cony! I hated it. Like; OMG the main character thinks somethings up! And noooobody believes him and theeen it HAPPENS. Arg come on. When I was reading it I was thinking in the back of my mind that if it was a fanfiction, I would give it a review with not so constructive criticism, simply for making to plot so predictable. Well, the Dumbledore part was not really predictable but the Draco part was, we all knew that he would be involved somewhere. And in the first three books it was usually Harry who thought someone was the bad guy (say 1st Snape, 2nd Draco, 3rd Serius) and this finally breaks at the Goblet of Fire, suddenly he's not really interested in who got him in this mess. But we got the same basic plot back at the Half Blood Prince. Usually Harry thinks someone did it and Ron or Hermione agree, and in the end they were wrong, but since neither of them agreed it was painfully obvious to me that he would be right this time. I hated it and I only read the book once because of it (to compensation I read OotP & GoF both about 7 times).

8. What about HP appeals to you (e.g. the romance, the adventure, the friendships, the fantasy, the mystery)?
I suppose the adventure the mystery and the fantasy appeal to me. No book is complete when lacking some kind of adventure. I prefer the adventure as in the way one discovers more and more about the wizarding world and all the ingenious things J.K.Rowling has thought of as relations to the muggle word (the witch burning and the relations between WOII and Grindelwald). The troubling adventures that Harry continuously seems to stumble upon doesn't intrest me as much. The mystery around the story is very interesting because it's a known fact that J.K.Rowling tends to hide the biggest clue in the smallest sentences. And therefore it's quite a challenge to predict the next step in the story, keeping it unreproducible as a wizerding wold should be. And as for fantasy, well if you're not into fantasy then HP is definitely not for you. I rather dislike "true" stories with painful human drama's because it's simply to depressing to read. When I read a story I see my self standing there and therefore fantasy stories are by far more interesting.

9. What would you do if your friend was in danger? What would you give up in order to save them? Would you lay your life on the line?
I think this is a question that can only answered if you're truly on the spot. Although I will do anything to protect them from getting hurt I don't know if I'd truly do something that can get me hurt, as in getting hurt in a way that I possibly could die. When someone gets hurt and if I'm closest by then I'll be the fastest one to get help (I'm a pretty fast runner although with a shot of adrenalin I appear to be flying, so said a cousin of mine) Or when I can handle it, help the injured person myself. I'm unusually calm and composed when someone gets injured (I work in the kitchen of a restaurant and every half year someone need to go to the hospital due to cuts or other injuries) If I can help, I'll help, if not I'll move to give the person some space. I'm totally and completely not curious so to stay away and walk on is natural for me (I can't stand seeing a lot of useless people just hanging around just to see what happened).

10. Given a choice between fame and money, which would you choose?
Easy, money. Fame hardly has any advantages, it's more of a bother. Paparazzi, stalkers, fans, interviews, etc, etc. Seem all so bothersome to me. You'll never hear me saying "I'm the biggest fan of [insert random something]!!". I do admire people who made it I'm just not the 'adoring' type. And I'd never claim to know people just because I've memorised all the details about their life, knowing some facts is still different than knowing someones true character. And money can't make you happy but definitely makes your life easier.

11 If you could only store one memory in the Pensieve to visit over again, which one would it be? Why?
None, for several reasons really.
The first one would be that I simply would not like to re-live all that I've been trough. Bad memories are there to be learnt from, not to be relived/reviewed to point out all the mistakes. Mistakes are human, it makes us to what we are. If you relive it time and time again the agony will never stop. It will make you unable to forgive.
And second, the good memories have no need to be stored, I might not remember all the details but I can still remember how loved/happy/carefree I felt at that moment forever, stored in my heart, not in a magical devise. If I do not recall the event, it probably did not have that much impact on me.
And last, simply because I'd loath the idea that someone might actually see them. I do not have that many secrets, but memories are private, and for one person only. Imagine your pensive being stolen, your most precious memories gone!

12. What excites you the most in life? Where do you get the most joy and fulfillment?
I think a lot of this is to be read at #4 but some other thing that brings me joy would be singing in a choir. I've sang in an concert with 4 other choirs beside our own and it was such a overwhelming experience! And fulfillment would definitely be int he arms of my boyfriend (not that I currently have any). I'm not sure why but our whole family tends to avoid echother when it comes to physical contact. I can't remember the last time my mom/dad hugged or kissed me, or even touched me in general. Last year I realised that that was something that was definitely holding me back and making me unhappy. I hardly even touched my very best friends. So I forced myself into patting their shoulder when they were sad or just hugging them when saying goodbye. It was a very new experience for me. So when I got a steady relationship that eventually got past hugging and kisses I still savoured the feeling of just being hugged back the most. The feeling that someone loves you back just as much as you do and the simple warmth of a hug is most fulfilling for me.

13. If you were in Harry's position during the "Snape's Worst Memory" incident, how would you view Peter, James, Sirius, Lily, Remus, and Snape differently? Why?
Well I'm a big Snape fan to begin with and I thought it was rather painfully obvious of J.K.Rowling to let James admit that they were teasing Snape for no real reason, making them the bad guys. The only point of this incident was to get some sympathy for Snape. As were the part were Harry was able to see bits an pieces of Snape's past. She wanted to make sure that you, as the reader, still could not determine whether Snape truly is 'pure evil' or just a very tortured and misjudged character. Oh sorry, the question was how I would view it as if I were Harry. I find it hard to place myself in Harry's shoes since I still got both parents and etc but I think I would try to follow and observe them at every chance that I got. And if I were to find out that my father bullied my most hated teacher I probably would have cheered him on. As said earlier, I do not easily forget what was done to me, and I do hold grudges to the point that I'd have no problem in seeing you being humiliated.

14. Imagine you were an eleven-year-old Muggleborn witch/wizard who did not know about magic and had just received your Hogwarts letter. How would you react to leaving home and going to a magic school?
At eleven, I was probably to scared to go. And my father would probably wouldn't have let me go. When I went from elementary to high school I was the epitome of a wall flower and devoted follower of those who were smart enough to see my weakness. I was tall and sporty so easily used as bodyguard. I wasn't open to any kind of changes. Since my own home didn't have (and still hasn't have) any kind of consistency school was the only thing I could cling on. I was extremal apprehensive about new situations. I think McGonagall probably would have managed to eventually get my parents to agree to send me to Hogwarts but that I'd be terrified. I'm so glad that I'm no longer like that, so pessimistic as hell.

15. If you had access to a time turner and there were no regulations regarding its usage, what would you use it for and why?
I'd probably to the Greek and Roman era to see it it was really as magnificent as they said and to gain the knowledge that have been lost over the years. I'm especially curious about it's society, if it really was that easy to get marries and divorce, and how much power religion had, the status of people, the treatment of people who weren't wealthy, the building in their full glory, and if I as a modern human being would be able to fit in at all. That's the real challenge I suppose. How far can one go and yet to go unnoticed or to be declared an oddity in the mighty Rome? Since all these theories suggest that their IQ was the same as ours that it should be possible, correct? I know I'd love to try it.

16. In the Philosopher's Stone (AKA Sorcerer's Stone) Neville had a choice: he could let his friends go out at night when they weren't supposed to and potentially they could lose points for his house, or he could confront them and stop them from breaking the rules. What would you have done in his situation?
I would have let them go. It's their responsibility, they should have known better. If I knew then they certainly would have known. I'd possibly make a half-hearted attempt at convincing them not to go, and then wish them good luck and tell them to be careful. If they really want to go that bad then who am I to stop them.

17. Who (dead, alive, or fictional) do you most admire? This can be someone from real life or from Harry Potter.
I admire my siblings. I've got three of them, two brothers and one sister. We've got the same mother but I have a different father. My mother divorced their dad and married mine four years after that. To me they are my true full blooded brothers and sister.
My oldest brother, Martijn, is definitely a Slyther-Puff. He can be taunting he can be cruel he can be down right evil. But when it matters he will do everything in his might to make sure you'll end up well. He'll let you sleep over at any time, when there's some problems at home, no prob, we can discuss it all with him as negotiator. He can be as teasing as a Weasley twin but when he cares for you (and I'm his little sister so he tends to over protect me) he'll mother you to death. He's a workaholic but knows how to have some fun. The kind of guy that can say he did it all by the time he'll die. I admire that greatly. Considering the way he grew up. I think my oldest brother and me are in personalty quite the same.
My sister, Saskia, a Raven-Dor. Can be the wise knowing words you have been seeking for, can be the tantrum storm you've tried to avoid. My sister has been independent since she moved out of the house at the age of 16 and I always felt that I was the most distanced from her. Like I never could touch her greatness. She's a lot of things that I'd like to be. She's a success at graphic design, is totally and completely independent, will never be forced into anything and simply does what she does best. I always tend to use her as my main example.
My younger brother (but still older then me), Thomas, a Slyther-Claw, ambition and brains a very deadly combination. I mostly admire him for his way with words. He's extremely charismatic, he definitely could sell freezers at the south pole. But you never know what's the truth and what's not. I know he's a dreamer and that he's very revengeful. He can hold grudges a long long time. But at the same time he is extremely knowledgeable. There is no subject (well he hates fantasy and science fiction so that's excluded) where he can't tell you something about. I know I'd never sound that convincing or are capable of covering up my emotions that well but I do admire him greatly for that.

18. What is your favorite book outside of Harry Potter? What is it about this book that endears it to you?
Never Bite the Neighbours by Paul van Loon. It's a Dutch children's book. Paul van loon is definitely the master of combining humor with horror for children. The book is about a family of horror creatures. The mom's a zombie, father's a vampire, the grandmother a mummy, the uncle a skeleton, the daughter a ghost and one boy a vampire the other a werewolf. They try to live next to their normal human neighbours in peace. But one of their neighbours is after their demise. And in the end evil always wins (the Rip family that is). It's not really the story of the book that endears me so but the cover. It was that cover that inspired me to become an illustrator, a gaol that I'm still thriving to achieve a good 14 years later. I've always been a big fan of Paul van Loon's books. It has a whole new view on all that is considered 'evil'. This time you have sympathy for vampires and werewolves and even man eating snakes and spiders. And usually he makes a happy ending, in other words, the normal humans die :D

19. You're sitting the final examination for a class that has given you a lot of trouble. Your grade is borderline, you really need to do well on this final to get an A. You can see the paper of your friend who sits next to you and who happens to excel in this subject. You've gotten to a question that you're stuck on. Do you glance at your friend's paper to figure out the answer or not? Why?
No, I'd never involv anothere, there's no enchurence that he/she has the correct answer. Instead I'd print out a nice summary of the subject and place it between the examination papers. They're always looking for small notes but not whole printed out papers. Trust me,it works perfectly every time.

20. In Goblet of Fire, Harry was chosen for the Tri-Wizard Tournament even with the age-line. Ron was unable to enter because of the age restriction even though he really wanted to be a part of the Tournament. Was Ron right to be jealous/angry at Harry? Were Harry's reactions appropriate? Why?
Ron had no right to be angry at Harry. I thought the whole fight was stupid, pointless, and severely annoing. Had Ron used his brains he would have figured out there's no way Harry would want to be in the tournament or even could get in. And were's his loyalty? Had they not fought together side-by-side in treathing situations several times by now? Would that not have created an utmost unbreakeble bond by now? It's simply compleately unlogical. Yealosy can blind but does not make you an utter fool. I suppose I can undersand Harry's reaction. I know I react the same way to that kind of betrail.

21. Which class would you look forward to the most at Hogwarts? Which classes do you/did you excel in most at school?
Transfiguration! I think transfiguration requires an eye for detail, which I have. Adding to that I believe that by combining spells to an image I would learn them faster then I would at charms. I'm a very visual person, I not good at remembering someone's name or birthday but I can recal their astrological sign for example. It has a image attached so I remember it a lot faster then words or numbers were no imange is attached too.
At my school my best subjects are illustrating and English. I want to make a living out of illustrating someday so I'm always trying my hardest for it (well, that's a lie, I just know what kind of work pleases the teacher). And for English I'm reading and writing it so much that I have a huge headstart compared to most of my classmates. Since the teacher himself is British hes not that good at Dutch yet so I sually play for translator when someone doesn't undertand a word and doesn't understand his English explanation.

22. What would be the first place you visit during a Hogsmeade weekend? Why?
Ahh Flourish and Blotts, I tend to hang around book shops a lot, usually endup buying a book every time I come there. And I can spend a whole day just searching for that perfect book. Candy or shopping for clothing hardly appeals to me so Blotts it is.

23. In the wizarding world, all 5th year students are required to pick a career to focus on going into their 6th and 7th years at Hogwarts. What career path would you choose? Why?
Magical Marketing & Advertising! Tee hee, who else can make those awesome posters and banners? They must have some graphic wizards over there. Since I want to be an illustrator I'd love to do the same in the wizarding world. I do not think have the patience to make a moving portrait but I do have the wittiness that's necessary in graphic design. The reason I have not chosen a 'canon' profession is that I cannot think of myself doing anything else for a living than drawing. It's the thing I've always loved the most and the thing that nobody could steal from me. Adding to that the existing canon jobs are or in the Ministry or teacher or something adventurous and that's just not me.

24. In the Wizarding world, some pure-blood wizards consider Muggle-borns "filthy" and "horrible." In our world, people are categorized by their wealth, racial background, and appearance. What are your opinions on Muggle-borns? What are the qualities that you value in others?
Muggle-borns are obviously nether better or worse then pure-bred wizards. In fact one might actually think them stronger since they have to learn to adapt to a whole new world, instead of being used to it all. I do believe int he saying "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." And the Muggle-borns obviously have to face a lot more and have more challenges then the odenary wizards. So with that in mind they should be better then them.
Qualities that I value? (sounds a lot like #17 so I'll try to give a different answer here) I value people who made a living of the thing they do best. Sounds silly perhaps, but so many people of today 'just do something' instead of what they've could have been. I'm decent at English (one might say rather good when you consider that I'm Dutch and dyslectic) and I hate it when I can beat the English teachers at their own game. The same goes for my art teachers, when I feel like I'm better then them and they can't prove me otherwise, then they're not doing their job well. One teacher of mine seemingly has the most boring class ever; Typography, yes, you read that correct, it's all about typefaces. But he's totally into his own subject and eventually it even starts to intrest you too. I truly respect that. And that's really important to me.

25. You have stumbled across five magical wells. One is the Well of Common Sense and Logic, the second is the Well of Creativity, the third is the Well of Optimism, the fourth is the Well of Physical Strength, and the fifth is the Well of Beauty. You can only drink from one well, but once you do you will be endowed with that ability for the rest of your life. Which well do you think you would definitely not need, and which do you think you would want to drink from?
I already have Common Sense, Creativity, Logic, Optimism and Beauty. Common Sense is indeed common, so I do think it already applies to me. I'm rather artistically inclined so Creativity is definitely not something I lack. I'm rather Logical, I tend to see unusual answers before anyone else sees them. I have a healthy dose of Optimism, simply because I can't stand seeing myself as a pessimist. And Beauty is simply rhater irrelevant (for people who look decent, not for those who look horrendous but I really do think it shouldn't matter) So that leaves me with Physical Strength. I never seem to have time to work out and I really do want to stay fit. I know I am rather strong for a girl but I wouldn't mind being to be truly in shape again.
I'm not fat, neither thin and I'm rather pleased with the way I look so in the end, I suppose these wells are a tad useless to me.

26. In Half-Blood Prince, we witnessed Harry force-feeding Dumbledore the potion that weakened him, even though it pained Harry to do so, because he promised Dumbledore he would do whatever he wished. If you were in Harry's position, would you have stopped feeding Dumbledore the potion, or would you have continued? Do you think it was right for Harry to do as Dumbledore wished? Explain.
I think it was cruel for Dumbledore to make Harry promis him to keep continue doing it. It leaves a tremendous guit onto Harry since he simply IS the reason why he was weakend. Altough it was a very good move of Albus to finally involve Harry into the Horcrux thing (and inconveniently good for the plot line ofcourse, since it's all from Harry's point of view).
Had I been in Harry's place then yes, I would have kept my promise and I would have kept feeding Dubledore the potion even when it did weaken him. He did not request it, he made me promise, and I tend to keep them even if it costs me.

27. Anything else you want to tell us before we sort you? Also, please tell us where you heard about this community. (Members who refer new applicants receive points, so please try to be as specific as possible.) "I like to sing in the shower", I was referred by mochibuni or Cali of Gryffindor.
Tags: ravenclaw
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 14 comments