pantsless1 (pantsless1) wrote in _belong,
pantsless1
pantsless1
_belong

• Mood:

Pride and Prejudice, hana-kimi, Batman, LotR, ect.

1. Name: Stephanie

2. Age: 16

3. Gender: Female. Most definitely.

4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP? How do you feel these hobbies/interests contribute to your personality?

In my old school I was involved in play production and peer mediation. Play production allowed me to get more comfortable with other people and not be quite as shy. It also taught me how to use a variety of power tools (I almost killed the teacher with a nail gun once. Good times.), as I acted AND constructed set pieces. Peer mediation was a way to better understand people and to see if a career in psychology was right for me.

In my new school, I’ve signed up for newspaper because I’m trying to better my skills at writing and keep up with what’s happening in the world.

5. Which Harry Potter character do you feel you can relate to the most? Explain. Which character is your favorite? Again, explain.

I think I’m a bit like the Snape’s Worst Memory Lupin. I adore my friends and have lots of fun with them, but sometimes they can do some not so “pleasant” things. But because I came into their group so late, I have this crazy feeling that if I try to go against whatever they’re doing they’ll flip out. I try talking them out of it, but not much more then that. It’s a big personality flaw that I, like older Lupin, hope to work out.

How can I just pick one favorite character? There’s Luna, Dumbledore, Lupin, Lily, Fleur, and Molly. There’s too many.

Well.

Fine.

I think Dumbledore is my favorite. I love his quirky sense of humor and his quiet idealism. I like how he doesn’t try to be intimidating or aloof to be strong. I still cry when I read the end of HBP. I can take personal offense to insults to Dumbledore and am at times flabbergasted when other people say they don’t like him. Sure he made some pretty big mistakes and unpleasant choices, but can’t you give a guy a break? He can’t do everything, and he admitted that.

6. Give us the reasons for and against you being sorted into each of the houses.
a. Gryffindor
For: I’m loyal to my friends. I can argue my opinions for as long as need be. My friends come from all different backgrounds and environments (which I personally think is best because you get all sorts of views on the world. It is however sometimes hard to pick movies) and I can have unholy temper tantrums.
Against. I usually think things through before I do them and I haven’t really had a big test of my bravery, having led a nice quiet suburban life. I occasionally sacrifice a point I’m trying to make to keep the peace. Because it’s not always worth it.

b. Hufflepuff
For: I usually give my honest opinion in things, though I try to soften the blow if it’s something that is important to the person I disagree with. I keep an open mind about people and judge them on their actions and not just the categories they belong.
Against: I don’t work hard at all. I just skate by in life. I keep my grades up by doing well at tests, because I always put off homework and it ends up low quality. I sometimes “fudge” the truth to keep from trouble. Plus have a hard time with new people. They can get the wrong impression of me and think I’m a bit snobby when I’m really just shy.

c. Ravenclaw
For: I can be quite witty when I’m with people I’m comfortable with. I’m fairly smart and do enjoy learning about interesting things.
Against: My quest for knowledge is usually into areas that have no practical purpose. I’m not a very good student, as I said before, and can be a bit of a distraction to those who are.

d. Slytherin
For: I am interested in politics and certainly wouldn’t mind being in a position of power. I can usually get people to tell be information or supposed secrets through slightly underhand methods.
Against: I’m not really one for schemes. I don’t take joy in using people to get what I want. A tight-knit group is stronger then just one person’s success.

7. What was your least favorite moment in HP?
The death of Dumbledore. I know it was necessary for plot purposes but I was so sad. I mean, I kind of knew the moment I saw the list of chapter titles, (The Phoenix Lament? Come on.) but just the whole drawn out….aurgh. I think I started crying the moment Dumbledore started drinking the potion. I was in tears for the last 80 some pages. I freaked my mom out (whom I was visiting at the time). She thought I was sick or something because when I cry I look something dreadful. No Hollywood tears for me.

8. What about HP appeals to you (e.g. the romance, the adventure, the friendships, the fantasy, the mystery)?
Hmm. Maybe it’s the idea of this whole magical place hidden in our modern world. That there is still some magic in this technological and often cynical era. And of course JKR’s style of writing that pulls you in and gets people to read and think and discuss. I love how she constructs all the books so they all fit together, leaving clues and hints for all the ones after. It gets the reader involved, which is one of the most important aspects of reading.

9. What would you do if your friend was in danger? What would you give up in order to save them? Would you lay your life on the line?
Well preferably I’d like to just push them out of danger’s way, but that’s not the question is it? I would certainly give up my material things for them. And I think I would give my life up so that they would have a chance to live. Maybe. But I’m not sure if I could sacrifice another person’s life in order to save them. That raises such moral implications. Does a stranger’s life matter more then one you personally care about? I doubt I could sacrifice someone else for them and I truly doubt any of them would want me to.

10. Given a choice between fame and money, which would you choose?
Money, because that could give me so many options in life. I could fund things I care about and live comfortably without worrying. I could take care of my family without having to work as much, leaving me more time to spend with them. Money influences people and gets things done. Plus with money, fame often follows.

11 If you could only store one memory in the Pensieve to visit over again, which one would it be? Why?
My fifth grade graduation celebration. Especially the water balloon fight. Exact details of the day are blurry but I just remember it was filled with wild enthusiasm, untempered joy, and such great hope for the future. And reflecting back on it with a slightly more mature perspective, innocence.

12. What excites you the most in life? Where do you get the most joy and fulfillment?
I like discussing the world with people who have interesting opinions. I enjoy getting new perspectives and insights that I normally wouldn't think of. It's great when you're bouncing ideas off each other. Plus, it's often these times when I laugh the hardest, from these crazy theories and plans we can think up. For example, we decided that the Wal-mart across the street from our high school would be the place to go when zombies invaded (totally going to happen). We actually scouted it out after school one day and drew a floor plan. I think the cashier thought we were terrorists.

Oh and weird fan fiction pairings. Draco/Luna=OTP.

13. If you were in Harry's position during the "Snape's Worst Memory" incident, how would you view Peter, James, Sirius, Lily, Remus, and Snape differently? Why?
I think I'd see Peter as somewhat sad and desperate. He was trying so hard to fit in that he automatically stood out. I think I might understand what he did a little better, but still could never forgive him.

I'd be slightly disgusted by James’ and Sirius’ behavior, especially if, like Harry, I’d only heard stories about what wonderful people they were (excluding Snape’s of course). They are remembered as being so good, but their unprovoked attack would shatter that view. I guess a good portion of it could be chalked up to immaturity but it certainly would taint them.

My view of Lily would change, for the better. Before seeing her in Snape’s Worst Memory, I unknowingly had this image of Lily as a sacrificial lamb. She died so her child could live, a loving mother. But seeing her in the memory it’s obvious she was much more than that. She had a fierce personality with a fine set of ideals and was confident and capable.

I was disappointed in Remus, but I can understand why he didn’t stand up against his friends (as I stated in a previous question). And Snape? Well, it gave me some perspective and maybe a smidgen of sympathy but it doesn’t excuse his behavior.

14. Imagine you were an eleven-year-old Muggleborn witch/wizard who did not know about magic and had just received your Hogwarts letter. How would you react to leaving home and going to a magic school?
Ha. I’d probably flip out. Well, I probably would think it was a terrible, terrible prank at first and cry sad, sad mascara running angst!tears. But once I was sure it was true, I’d flip out. I would be ecstatic. I can see myself laughing at odd moments and generally making other people uncomfortable.

I would miss my home and family of course. I imagine it would be difficult because I’d feel I was leaving people behind where they couldn’t follow. But I could never give up the chance to see this new strange world and experience what few people ever could.

15. If you had access to a time turner and there were no regulations regarding its usage, what would you use it for and why?
Well, I’d probably use it for everyday goofing off. Having more time to just hang out and enjoy life would be fun. I might go back in time and try to solve those great mysteries like “Hey who’s that behind the grassy knoll?” and other events that are still being debated today. But then of course I’d risk altering the time-space continuum, which is, like, totally NOT cool. Fer sher.

16. In the Philosopher’s Stone (AKA Sorcerer’s Stone) Neville had a choice: he could let his friends go out at night when they weren’t supposed to and potentially they could lose points for his house, or he could confront them and stop them from breaking the rules. What would you have done in his situation?
Oh, I love that part. Well I’d probably try to convince them not to go, but I’d doubt I would try to physically stop them. If they told me what they were doing I would have stepped out of their way, but even if they didn’t, I still would have let them go. I have a tendency to assume people will do the right thing at the end. Plus, there’s my healthy dose of self-preservation.

17. Who (dead, alive, or fictional) do you most admire? This can be someone from real life or from Harry Potter.

I admire my sister. She’s nine years older then me and has always been an example. Usually of what not to do, but still. She’s faced a lot of tough stuff in her life and has always been so strong. She’s still so optimistic about life and so excited to be living it. It may be the little sister in me but when I grow up, I wanna be like her. Except for the army and war part. And maybe not the having my mother’s boyfriend hitting on me part. But I want to be strong and enjoy life like she does.

18. What is your favorite book outside of Harry Potter? What is it about this book that endears it to you?
Pride and Prejudice, baby. I’m such a Mr. Darcy fangirl. I’ve even read those dirty little sequels that the serious literary critics usually despise. The book’s plot seems so simple, but I adore the characters and the misconceptions and the resolutions and... I just love it. It’s hard to explain. Well not really. I think “Darcy” covers it. *sigh*

I’m currently enjoying Sense and Sensibility, which is very good, even with the sad lack of Darcy.

19. You're sitting the final examination for a class that has given you a lot of trouble. Your grade is borderline; you really need to do well on this final to get an A. You can see the paper of your friend who sits next to you and who happens to excel in this subject. You've gotten to a question that you're stuck on. Do you glance at your friend's paper to figure out the answer or not? Why?
No. If I knew this class was trouble for me and this test was truly important I would have studied. Even if I am a pretty bad student, I can usually take care of myself with tests. I would just try my best with an answer and freak myself out later. Besides, I shouldn’t rely on other people’s answers. If they did get it wrong and I had copied, we’d both be in major poo.

20. In Goblet of Fire, Harry was chosen for the Tri-Wizard Tournament even with the age-line. Ron was unable to enter because of the age restriction even though he really wanted to be a part of the Tournament. Was Ron right to be jealous/angry of/at Harry? Were Harry's reactions appropriate? Why?
Well it wasn’t right for him to be jealous, but it was natural. He did take it too far with his anger. Harry was his friend. I don’t think Harry ever gave Ron an opportunity to think that he was a fame hog. But Ron does have a bit of a hard time in life. The youngest boy in his family and side kick to Harry Potter? I imagine it gets to be a bit much.

Harry’s reactions while not being appropriate were predictable. He couldn’t communicate with Ron, so instead of continuing to try, he reacted the same way. Not very nice, but it was boys being boys.

21. Which class would you look forward to the most at Hogwarts? Which classes do you/did you excel in most at school?
I think Transfiguration and Charms would be fun, mostly because the teachers know their subjects and teach it well. Plus they’re practical and always useful to know. I would also love Defense Against the Dark Arts, but it definitely would depend on the teacher.

I did well in math because once I know the formula, it’s not too difficult. It wasn’t my favorite class at all though because it’s just so boring. I really enjoyed my World History class because of the fascinating subject matter and because the teacher was patient and well-informed.

22. What would be the first place you visit during a Hogsmeade weekend? Why?
Honeydukes, as I have an insatiable sweet tooth. I plan on trick or treating well into college because who says no to free candy? That’s right. Crazy people.

I’d spend most of my money there, maybe pick up a book or two and then bum off my friends for some butterbeer. Because if I am anything, it is a good bum.

23. In the wizarding world, all 5th year students are required to pick a career to focus on going into their 6th and 7th years at Hogwarts. What career path would you choose? Why?
I’d probably go for some Ministry job. I might try to be Unspeakable. I’d love to be involved in understanding life’s mysteries and trying to unravel them. Plus it’d be pretty nifty to have such a secret job. “There goes that Stephanie, she’s an Unspeakable, you know”. Actually now that I think about it, it sound like I have the plague or am a bizarre magic version of Hester Prynne, but still; I think it’d be a revealing path.

24. In the Wizarding world, some pure-blood wizards consider Muggle-borns "filthy" and "horrible." In our world, people are categorized by their wealth, racial background, and appearance. What are your opinions on Muggle-borns? What are the qualities that you value in others?

I think the only thing wrong with Muggleborns would be the fact that they would have little information of wizarding world, and that would make them a little more susceptible to danger. However lack of knowledge is easy to rectify; it’s ignorance that’s hard to scrub out.

I value people who have a sense of humor, that don’t take life too seriously, who are open to new ideas without overdoing it. They need to be honest to themselves and others, not be overly arrogant, and basically follow the golden rule. Plus they should want to change the world. : ]

25. You have stumbled across five magical wells. One is the Well of Common Sense and Logic, the second is the Well of Creativity, the third is the Well of Optimism, the fourth is the Well of Physical Strength, and the fifth is the Well of Beauty. You can only drink from one well, but once you do you will be endowed with that ability for the rest of your life. Which well do you think you would definitely not need, and which do you think you would want to drink from?

Well I definitely don’t need the Well of Beauty. It’s not because I’m sex on a stick (to steal a friends phrase), but because it seems the least valuable of the choices and more of a cop-out than anything. While it’s true that appearance does affect the way people treat and perceive others, that path is the one I’d least like to use on my way to success.

I think I’d choose the Well of Creativity. I always find myself the most jealous of people who can create their own unique sense of the world (i.e. artists, writers, philosophers, ect.). It would be great to be able to put down the things I imagine on paper or in words. Problems could be seen in a different light. I often feel restricted by what I feel is a limited perspective. When I see a tree, there’s just a tree. I have a hard time focusing on just the shadows and lines that compose it.

26. In Half-Blood Prince, we witnessed Harry force-feeding Dumbledore the potion that weakened him, even though it pained Harry to do so, because he promised Dumbledore he would do whatever he wished. If you were in Harry's position, would you have stopped feeding Dumbledore the potion, or would you have continued? Do you think it was right for Harry to do as Dumbledore wished? Explain.

Oh the humanity. : [

I would comply with Dumbledore’s wishes but hate myself every moment of it. I, like Harry, would have trusted Dumbledore’s judgment (at least on this) because he had so much more knowledge on it then I would. I would however be in serious angst mode throughout the whole thing.

This, of course, shows that I agreed with Harry’s actions. I hated him for it during the time I was reading, but I understand it was necessary and respect him for not letting his personal feelings get in the way.

27. Anything else you want to tell us before we sort you? Also, please tell us where you heard about this community. (Members who refer new applicants receive points, so please try to be as specific as possible.)

Uh, I saw the link somewhere on someone’s profile. If that helps.

I like to sing in the shower. Especially show tunes. : D
Tags: hufflepuff
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 24 comments