Madeline (madath) wrote in _belong,
Madeline
madath
_belong

Characters, koalas and wicket maidens!

1. Name: Madeline

2. Age: 25

3. Gender: Female

4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP? How do you feel these hobbies/interests contribute to your personality?

I don’t have much spare time, but the time that I do have, I usually spend writing, watching cricket with friends and family or visiting the zoo.

My collection of short stories is growing, but I have also discovered the wonderful world of roleplaying, which makes the writing less lonely. It is really fun to be able to contribute to a storyline through a character who you created and control. I have met some lovely and interesting people. Some of them are brilliant writers, making my own writing experience more humbling than ever before.

My love for cricket started when I was thirteen. I realized that I did not know anything about sport, so I decided to watch the next match of whichever sport being played with my dad. There was a cricket tournament that was being broadcasted and after watching the first match, I knew that I didn’t need to look any further. What I enjoy most about watching the game is the unpredictability: You can never predict what is going to happen next. The rules are fairly complicated and there are a lot of statistics involved, so it keeps my brain supple while relaxing. I mostly watch the matches with my dad, which adds to the enjoyment because we don’t always find the time to enjoy each other’s company.

I honestly don’t know why I enjoy going to the zoo that much. It is mostly an escape, I guess, because it is part of a world that has nothing in common with my own. My best friend used to work there while she still lived close by, so it was a combination of brilliant company while spending time in the (tamed) outdoors.

I honestly don’t think that my hobbies have any effect on my personality. My hobbies are simply an exension of who I am.

5. Which Harry Potter character do you feel you can relate to the most? Explain. Which character is your favorite? Again, explain.

This is a really difficult question for me for the simple reason that I don’t really relate to any of the characters. If I had to pick one though, it would probably be Hermione, but then again I can’t relate to her on all levels. Hermione is considered to be eccentric, even odd and I can identify well with that. I am well aware that I have a peculiar disposition and that I might even be called an ‘acquired taste’. Add a distinctly wry sense of humour to the mix and it would quite understandable that a lot of people give up before knowing the real me.

I cannot, however, identify with Hermione’s tenacious studying. I simply don’t see the need in trying to know absolutely everything. My approach is much lazier; I simply do the word that I need to do to make a favourable impression and the time that I have left, I spend on things that I really do enjoy and that might benefit me in the future.

My favourite character is undoubtedly Severus Snape. It is not so much that I can identify him or even approve of his actions, but his complexity and unpredictability are the reasons that he gets my vote. He is an immensely talented wizard, as Harry’s Potions text book would prove and throughout all the books I harboured the distinct feeling that he had an agenda of his own and simply used the occurrences to best serve him. He didn’t use events to his advantage in a harsh way like Voldemort did (by creating Horcruxes) but in a subtle, intelligent way so that he would attract the minimum attention. That way, he would not have to waste energy on defending himself, but he could use the energy instead to put his plans into action.

6. Give us the reasons for and against you being sorted into each of the houses.
a. Gryffindor
For: Tough one. I don’t think that I could be classified as brave, more impulsive than anything else. So if being impulsive would get me sorted under Gryffindor, I guess it would be the suitable house for me, because I can be erratically impulsive at times.
Against. I am not brave and I pick my fights very carefully and cautiously. I would only engage in conflict or confrontation if the scale is tipped in my favour.

b. Hufflepuff
For: My friends and family are very important to me and I will sacrifice a lot to keep them happy and contented.
Against: As mentioned before, I really don’t value hard work above all else. Also, I have a rather warped sense of justice, being a firm believer that justice depends on your own perspective of a situation. I also won’t be loyal to a cause, only to people that have proven themselves to me.

c. Ravenclaw
For: My intelligence is one of my greatest assets in life. I am sharp-witted and quite bright.
Against: It is not a priority of mine to accumulate as much knowledge as I possibly can. Instead, I simply study what I need to know to serve my own purposes.

d. Slytherin
For: My goals that I set for myself are rather ambitious; I would love to at least touch greatness in my lifetime.
Against: I am really not the scheming type. It would feel like cheating if I connived to succeed; it would feel to me that I did not deserve the success if I did not achieve it on merit.

7. What was your least favorite moment in HP?

I must say that I was disappointed in Ron for his behaviour in The Half-Blood prince. It wasn’t really the love triangle between himself, Hermione and Lavender that bothered me, but the fact that Ron was petty for most of the book. First, he scolded Ginny for snogging Dean, but later on he himself had some intense snogging sessions with Lavender, which made him a hypocrite in my view, as Ginny rightly said. He was also jealous when he heard that Hermione snogged Victor Krum; the jealousy causing him to carry on with Lavender to spite Hermione (at least partly…). Finally, when he decided that he wasn’t all that interested in Lavender, he wasn’t courteous enough to simply end it. Instead, he snuck around and avoided her like a coward would.

Ron is still one of my favourites, but his actions were quite childish.

8. What about HP appeals to you (e.g. the romance, the adventure, the friendships, the fantasy, the mystery)?

A well-written fantasy novel always appeals to me, so I guess the main attraction of the Harry Potter novels is the element of fantasy, mixed with creativity and a healthy dose of imagination. I also enjoy the element of enigma that is weaved into the story line. JK Rowling is brilliant at hinting at something, dropping subtle clues amidst the scenarios. I always try to guess who is up to what, but I am never correct, making me enjoy it even more.

9. What would you do if your friend was in danger? What would you give up in order to save them? Would you lay your life on the line?

Well, firstly, it would depend what type of danger my friend is in. If it is the type which one can avoid by sharp decision making, I would air my views to my friend and offer a word of advice, but I would leave the rest up to him or her. All of my friends are intelligent enough to recognize warning signs early on. If they need me, however, I would give them my full support and I would always lend a helping hand.

If there is a chance that someone or something might harm a friend of mine and the situation is completely beyond his or her control, I would go to great measures to protect them, even if it means going against their own wishes or stepping on toes in the process. There are, however, only two of my friends for whom I would risk my life (not counting my family, I would risk my life for each and every member of my family). These two are friends who have shown themselves to be loyal, laughing with me but also helping me through some tough times. So yes, there are friends for whom I would put my life on the line.

10. Given a choice between fame and money, which would you choose?

I would choose the money every time. In our society, fame leads to encroachment and a violation of privacy. Money, on the other hand, can give you an advantage in this life, a step up to succeed in whichever goal you have set for yourself. For example, if you want to be a doctor, you need money to attend university to become one. You could of course get a bursary if your marks are very high, but because there are only a few bursaries available, the odds might be against you.

I would love nothing more than to live my life without the trivial financial problems with which we are faced every single day. If something as insignificant as money can erase stress and worry, I would turn into a material girl in an instant.

11 If you could only store one memory in the Pensieve to visit over again, which one would it be? Why?

My most treasured memory is the night that I spent with one of my friends. We had a fabulous time, being mischievous and childish and everything that a twenty one year old should not be. I am not going to go into great detail, but we actually climbed through a miniscule bathroom window on the second story to escape two amorous young men. I don’t think that I will ever have so much fun ever again!

12. What excites you the most in life? Where do you get the most joy and fulfillment?

I am still looking for my ultimate passion in life, but there are a couple of things that I really enjoy.

I love to finish a very difficult task, knowing that I learned something, but also did better than other expected of me.

I live for surprises because life would quite dull and dreary if one could always predict what would happen next. Some people can surprise you with their actions in a way that can leave you completely breathless. This taught me that it is really unwise to even think of judging a book by its cover.

The rush and glow of accomplishment thrills me to no end, especially if I achieved something that might change my life for the better, for instance a promotion at work.

13. If you were in Harry's position during the "Snape's Worst Memory" incident, how would you view Peter, James, Sirius, Lily, Remus, and Snape differently? Why?

I would have been extremely disappointed about my father’s actions and it would have been a shock to see him as such a pompous young man. I would have looked at Snape with new eyes and I would at least have an inkling of understanding about the way that he treats me in his classes. It would not serve as an excuse, but it would be a reason, as least as far as I’m concerned. When I read that part, I felt a special pity towards Peter. It is horrible being the little tail that follows the popular kids and his even would get even worse, being the tail to a sadistic master like Voldemort.

14. Imagine you were an eleven-year-old Muggleborn witch/wizard who did not know about magic and had just received your Hogwarts letter. How would you react to leaving home and going to a magic school?

I would have been completely overwhelmed at first, but I would have enjoyed being different and gifted once I got the hang of how Hogwarts operated. It would have been lovely to study subjects that all my little friends at home knew nothing about.

It would have been hard to leave my family behind, especially my younger brother. He was always my shadow at that age and it would have been hard to adjust to being alone with many strangers all of a sudden.

15. If you had access to a time turner and there were no regulations regarding its usage, what would you use it for and why?

Sad to say, but I would use it for selfish purposes. There have been moments in my life that I had to choose and there were choices that I made that I am not proud of. I would try to undo the damage that those choices caused, both to myself and other people involved. If it was a possibility, I would also use the time turner to reverse heartache. The thing is, once something is undone, time takes a completely different direction. It is only possible that the new direction would bring new events that causes even greater sadness. I would be careful with a time device and think thoroughly before using it.

16. In the Philosopher’s Stone (AKA Sorcerer’s Stone) Neville had a choice: he could let his friends go out at night when they weren’t supposed to and potentially they could lose points for his house, or he could confront them and stop them from breaking the rules. What would you have done in his situation?

I wouldn’t have let them go on without me. I would have insisted on joining them, even if it meant blackmailing my friends in the process. The lure of the adventure would have been too strong to resist and I would not be willing to turn a blind eye to their actions.

17. Who (dead, alive, or fictional) do you most admire? This can be someone from real life or from Harry Potter.

The woman in history that I admire the most is the late Grace O’ Malley, a female pirate that lived during the sixteenth century. She was a ruthless, proud and familial woman who carved a pedestal for herself in a world ruled by men. She accompanied her men on long journeys on the sea, even giving birth while on a voyage. She had made enemies, though, one of them being a henchman of Elizabeth, the Virgin Queen. He murdered one of her sons, stabbing him continuously with a knife and claiming afterwards that he resisted arrest.

Grace was inconsolable. She wrote numerous letters to the Queen, stating her case and pleading for the release of her son (the one born at sea, nicknamed Toby of the Seas). The same man that killed her eldest also captured Toby and his life hung in the balance of the war of words that Grace was conducting.

Finally, the Queen said that she would see Grace. Grace traveled to England, but she waited for more than a week before the Queen deemed herself available. When Grace entered the throne room, she refused to bow, something that only other heads of state were allowed to do. The Queen warmed to Grace immediately, giving explicit instructions that Toby be released.

18. What is your favorite book outside of Harry Potter? What is it about this book that endears it to you?

‘White Oleander’ by Janet Filch is my all time favourite book. I have read and re-read it more than twenty times.

For those of you who haven’t read it or seen the movie (starring Michelle Pfeiffer and Alison Lohman), the book is about Astrid Magnussen, a teenager who idolized her mother. Her mother, Ingrid, is sent to jail for the murder of her boyfriend, Barry Kolker. Astrid then enters the foster home system and is left to fend for herself for the first time in her life.

What I love about the book is Astrid’s journey through the specific stage of her life. Inside each and every foster home, there is a complete world with its own set of rules by which Astrid has to abide to survive and be happy. The methods by which Astrid figure out the rules and the choices that she makes afterwards make for a thrilling read. The book is written against the backdrop of Los Angeles and it becomes clear that the author has spent a lot of time in the city, because she is intimately aware of the intimate intricacies that the city holds.

The relationship between Astrid and her mother, Ingrid, also fascinated me to no end. I have never found a literary relationship more intriguing, especially since the relationship changed with everything that Astrid had to endure. Also, I did not see the end coming and I love surprises.

19. You're sitting the final examination for a class that has given you a lot of trouble. Your grade is borderline, you really need to do well on this final to get an A. You can see the paper of your friend who sits next to you and who happens to excel in this subject. You've gotten to a question that you're stuck on. Do you glance at your friend's paper to figure out the answer or not? Why?

No, I would never cheat. Firstly, I have an over-active conscience, which means that any form of cheating would gnaw on my nerves for months to come, where a poor grade would be forgotten within a week or spur me on to do better next time.

More importantly, I would not be fair to my friend who did her very best to excel at the subject. Each and every one of us has something that we are exceptional at, and it would mean that I am robbing her of her special ability if I were to simply copy her answers. Also, if I were to copy her, it would mean that I am actually stuck, robbing myself of a chance to think of a suitable answer, putting all the knowledge that I have gathered through the year in the specific course to good use.

If the roles were reversed and she/he cheated by looking at my answers, it would probably mean the end of the friendship, regardless if it saved him/her from flunking the subject. An action like that would be interpreted as an utter lack of respect, something that I do not tolerate from anybody, let alone my friends.

20. In Goblet of Fire, Harry was chosen for the Tri-Wizard Tournament even with the age-line. Ron was unable to enter because of the age restriction even though he really wanted to be a part of the Tournament. Was Ron right to be jealous/angry at Harry? Were Harry's reactions appropriate? Why?

I can understand that Ron was upset, especially since he thought that Harry had somehow snuck his name into the Goblet. He was a little bit envious and he really wanted to participate, so I can fully understand the jealousy that even humans are privy to. He should have, however, valued his friendship with Harry and trust Harry enough to know that Harry would not enter something as important as the Tri-Wizard Tournament in such an under-handed way. From Harry’s point of view, I can understand that he must have been frustrated at Ron’s reaction but also disappointed at Ron’s distrust. He could have handled the situation a bit better, though, by trying to understand Ron’s point of view and realizing that it is not easy being the best friend of the prodigy.

21. Which class would you look forward to the most at Hogwarts? Which classes do you/did you excel in most at school?

There are two, actually. Firstly, I would love Ancient Runes because it would broaden my knowledge of Norse Mythology. It is also a very actual subject, cautioning the students to be aware of dangers that elements of power (such as runes) might hold. It is also a subject that teaches that with power, there is responsibility. Secondly, I would be very excited to learn about Herbology. I love gardening and learning about plants that might actually speed up the healing process or remedy certain ailments would be extremely interesting. A subject like Herbology is always handy in a crisis.

My favourite subject in school was Economics. When I was a lot younger, I was well aware that the economical world existed. It was a world that I knew nothing of, but it seemed to me that this world would present more problems than solutions.

At first, I found the subject extremely complicated. There seemed to be more questions than answers. The epiphany came to me in my last year of high school: Economics taught me how to solve problems when I did not have time to study the solution. For every logical problem, there is an equally logical solution. Sometimes, all it takes it a touch of creativity and the correct interpretation.

22. What would be the first place you visit during a Hogsmeade weekend? Why?

The first place I would visit is the shop where one can buy unusual artifacts. I would not only browse, though. I would ask the shopkeeper to tell me in great detail what each artifact does. I would save my allowances until I have enough knuts to buy one, then I would start a collection.

23. In the wizarding world, all 5th year students are required to pick a career to focus on going into their 6th and 7th years at Hogwarts. What career path would you choose? Why?

Well, this is nearly as tough as deciding on a career in real life, and that took me about twenty four years! What I do know, is that I would probably start as an aspirant Healer, get discouraged by the work load and move on to something else. It is also highly likely that I won’t use any of the subjects that I had to take in preparation, but that I would end up doing something completely unconventional like owning a shop or being a mercenary. The one thing that I would never have become is an Auror.

24. In the Wizarding world, some pure-blood wizards consider Muggle-borns "filthy" and "horrible." In our world, people are categorized by their wealth, racial background, and appearance. What are your opinions on Muggle-borns? What are the qualities that you value in others?

I actually admire people who excel in a world in which they weren’t raised. It would always be easier for a wizard, who was raised with the floo network, magical creatures and hexes to fit into the magical society than someone who had no exposure the society at all.
The qualities that I admire are a sense of humour even in the darkest circumstances, intelligence, ambition and integrity.

25. You have stumbled across five magical wells. One is the Well of Common Sense and Logic, the second is the Well of Creativity, the third is the Well of Optimism, the fourth is the Well of Physical Strength, and the fifth is the Well of Beauty. You can only drink from one well, but once you do you will be endowed with that ability for the rest of your life. Which well do you think you would definitely not need, and which do you think you would want to drink from?

I would dive head first and without hesitation into the Well of Creativity. While I was still in school, I thought that I had an abundance of creativity, for the simple reason that I had a vivid imagination and could dream up a lie while locking eyes with someone (not my finest hour…). After a swim in the bigger pond, I realized that there are people out there who could make my own meager attempts at being creative seem laughable.

I would avoid the Well of Optimism completely because it would interfere with my entire realistic and reasonable nature. As for the Well of Beauty and the Well of Strength, I consider both these qualities to be completely overrated, so I would not waste my time on them. I have enough Common Sense and Logic, so I really think I would stick to the creativity.

26. In Half-Blood Prince, we witnessed Harry force-feeding Dumbledore the potion that weakened him, even though it pained Harry to do so, because he promised Dumbledore he would do whatever he wished. If you were in Harry's position, would you have stopped feeding Dumbledore the potion, or would you have continued? Do you think it was right for Harry to do as Dumbledore wished? Explain.

I would have continued if I was Harry. Dumbledore is a wizard with immense experience and he would not give Harry an explicit order if he was not sure that he would achieve the desired result. Dumbledore had done intensive research before asking Harry to accompany him to retrieve the Horcrux, so he had the authority to insist that Harry obeys each and every order, however bizarre it might seem to Harry.

27. Anything else you want to tell us before we sort you? Also, please tell us where you heard about this community. (Members who refer new applicants receive points, so please try to be as specific as possible.)

I like to sing in the shower when I brush my teeth.

lanie janie mentioned this sorting community in another community.

Thank you for taking the time to read my application.
Tags: ravenclaw
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 19 comments