Becki, Becki Schneider (_just_becki_) wrote in _belong,
Becki, Becki Schneider
_just_becki_
_belong

Lost! John Hodgman! Bruce Springsteen! Squaresoft!

1. Name: Rebecca

2. Age: 18

3. Gender: Female

4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP? How do you feel these hobbies/interests contribute to your personality? Well, I really like music, and I’m famous for being something of…a superfan. I’m not going to lie, I’ve written a few fan letters in my day. I like to say this shows my passion and dedication, but others would tell you it brings out my creepiness. Besides music, I’m really into making crafts and stuff. Craftster.org is among my most visited sites, and I’m always looking for new ideas for things to create. Because of this, I’d say I’m pretty creative. I really love reading, and I have been making my way through a huge pile of library books this summer, which I guess would make me kind of a nerd. To add to the nerdiness docket, I’m a semi-hardcore gamer, and like to waste my time rolling the cosmos and riding chocobos.

5. Which Harry Potter character do you feel you can relate to the most? Explain. Which character is your favorite? Again, explain. I feel I can most relate to Tonks. She’s clumsy, like me, and though she seems pretty easygoing and fun loving, which I feel are traits of mine. Sometimes it seems that people don’t take her seriously, which is a problem that I sometimes encounter. (I know from experience it’s tough to get people to really listen to you when you’ve knocked over a few bowls in your day, and wear band shirts all the time.)

As far as favorite characters, it’s a tough call between Ginny and Luna. I almost said that I reminded myself of Ginny, because she’s a take charge gal who says what’s on her mind, but she’s too athletic and popular to really be an accurate reflection of myself. I really enjoy the character, though, and her interactions with the trio from the beginning of the book have always been among my favorite parts (like the love song in book 2? classic!). Luna is plain hilarious. Her commentary on the quidditch match was amazing! I laugh at almost every one of her lines. She’s one of my favorite additions to the series, and always look forward to reading sections about her. And I have to mention Rita Skeeter—she’s kind of my guilty pleasure favorite character. She’s a little devious, and mischievous, but she’s a hardcore journalist who gets the story…even when it’s not always on the level.

6. Give us the reasons for and against you being sorted into each of the houses.
a. Gryffindor
For: I’m pretty loyal when it comes to people I like… providing rides, rearranging dates to accommodate others, keeping secrets, that sort of thing. As far as ‘bravery’, it’s tough to say if your brave or not when your life experience is limited to suburban high school. Um, I’m not afraid to talk to strangers, and I’m not afraid to travel, and I’m not afraid to make a joke at my own expense…but as far as the famous Gryff slaying death eaters and sneaking out at night? I’d like to think I’m capable, and I enjoy the idea, but I’ve never been in a serious ‘let’s break the rules’ situation like that.
Against. Gryffindors like to cause trouble. I, on the other hand, like to alleviate and avoid it. If Draco Malfoy sauntered up to me and made a wisecrack about my family, I’d probably make a light joke, pat him on the arm, and try to charm him into leaving me alone for the rest of the year. Gryffs are very much ‘in your face’ about everything, and while I certainly can get in faces, I try to avoid it til the last possible second.

b. Hufflepuff
For: Hufflepuff is tough, aren’t they? I mean, what do we really know about them? I get my main image of Hufflepuff from Cedric Diggory; they are accepting, modest, and talented. From that, I can say that I’m a fairly accepting person.
Against: On the other hand, I’m anything but low key. Laid back, maybe, but when I get jazzed about something, there is no stopping me from bouncing around. Additionally, I would say I’m not too modest. If I made a really sweet shirt, or embroidered a really kickass wallet or something, than I’m going to take 65896 pictures with my camera and post it on my blog, no doubt.

c. Ravenclaw
For: I’m not trying to sound like a jerk here, but I’m a pretty smart kid. I’m going to a great school in the fall, and I was in the national honors society, with a pretty good GPA and all that. Plus, I love reading. And, like the loveable Luna,
Against: In the books, the Ravenclaws never really seem that friendly, with the exception of Luna (and even she can be painfully blunt). I like to think I give most everyone a chance to be nice to me, and I like to be nice to everyone else. Until they give me a reason not to, that is.

d. Slytherin
For: Well, once someone crosses me, I pretty much cut them out of my life. I go for the whole shebang—cold stares, silent treatment. Though I wouldn’t say I am overtly cruel, like Malfoy can be, I certainly can be cold toward others. And in some cases, I’d say I was pretty cunning, if not shameless. If sucking up to a teacher is going to transform my 89.445 into a 90, then I’ll put on an act like Shakespeare was my dad.
Against:The one thing I hate about Slytherin is their intolerance and bigotry. When Malfoy called Hermione a mudblood, he, and his house, lost all appeal for me for the remainder of the books. Even his whiney crying in book 6 couldn’t stir pity on me. I’m a pretty big liberal, so any form of racism or intolerance drives me completely nuts.

7. What was your least favorite moment in HP? I really, really hate Cho. She is the most unlikable character in the series. I can’t think of a single redeemable thing about her. She’s your stereotypical teenager, and any Cho related storyline, chapter, or sentence was either a complete bore to me or completely annoying. As far as I’m concerned, the only good thing that will ever come from Cho is a super Harry and the Potters song.

8. What about HP appeals to you (e.g. the romance, the adventure, the friendships, the fantasy, the mystery)? Well, it’s kind of strange to explain, but I’ve kind of grown up with Harry. When I was 10, he was 11, and we had the same problems and concerns. Through all the books, the characters were growing up, and so was I. Yule Ball, 9th grade semi…is it really that different? Harry was a big part of my life, and I guess my childhood, and though it’s strange to think about now, my favorite part of Harry Potter is going to be looking back and thinking about how much I enjoyed reading Harry Potter. Does that make sense? As far as the present goes, I think the story is full of mystery, has relatable characters, and has writing that is entertaining for both adults and children.

9. What would you do if your friend was in danger? What would you give up in order to save them? Would you lay your life on the line? It really depends on the situation. I really don’t think I could imagine leaving my friend behind…It might sound sick, but I think it depends on the friend. If it were my sister, I’d do whatever it took to get her out of the situation. But if were, for example, a girl I talk to in study hall sometimes…well, I’m not so sure. …honestly, I’m thinking about it, and I think I’d have a lot of trouble just up and leaving someone to die…I think I’d just go with the flow and see where the situation took me. Maybe call for help? Get reinforcements, perhaps? The question is a little vague, so I can’t really go too in depth.

10. Given a choice between fame and money, which would you choose? As I mentioned in question 4, I have a lot of bands and famous people I look up to. If I could maybe be famous and have the chance to inspire, or entertain someone like myself, as so many others have done for me, I’d gladly take it. Additionally, I don’t really have anything big and expensive I want to buy that my lifeguard’s salary can’t provide, so I’d totally pick fame any day.

11 If you could only store one memory in the Pensieve to visit over again, which one would it be? Why? No contest. Bruce Springsteen concert, stadium tour, PNC Park, 2003. Bruce Springsteen is in my eyes, a God. Additionally, that was my first real concert ever. My whole family, including aunts, went to see the boss with thousands of other screaming fans. That concert was the best night of my life, and I would give anything to be able to relive it again.

12. What excites you the most in life? Where do you get the most joy and fulfillment? I really enjoy hanging out with my friends and family. To be honest, making people laugh really feels right to me. I know you guys like detailed responses, but this is kind of weird for me to talk about, so I’m just going to go with ‘making others laugh.’ and leave it at that.

13. If you were in Harry's position during the "Snape's Worst Memory" incident, how would you view Peter, James, Sirius, Lily, Remus, and Snape differently? Why? If I were Harry, I’d have gained a new respect for my mother. We know Harry is interested in his dad, and how he was as a youngster, but apart from the fact that ‘he has his mother’s eyes’, he doesn’t seem to know as much about his mom. The fact that she stuck up for someone unpopular really showcases her bravery and kindness. I couldn’t help feeling bad for Snape after this scene…it’s clear now why he has such a beef with Harry. Maybe Snape would have never become a death eater if people like James or Sirius were kinder to him! It’s sick to think about, but the thought has entered my mind. I really think that after this Pensive dive, I really lost a lot of respect for James and Sirius. It’s so easy to pick on the solitary kid with greasy hair. James as a young man was not the golden youth we envisioned him to be, and that’s always disappointing. Frankly, my opinions of Peter and Remus remained the same—they seem not to have changed much.

14. Imagine you were an eleven-year-old Muggleborn witch/wizard who did not know about magic and had just received your Hogwarts letter. How would you react to leaving home and going to a magic school? As someone who is now on the eve of leaving for college, I’m in kind of the same position, though less extreme. For one, I’d be very, very exited…I mean, come on! Magic is AWESOME! But, I am very close with my family, so I would be petrified and very sad about leaving them for a school year. Nervous, scared, sad, but excited. And let’s not forget, when you’re 11, going to the mall by yourself can be scary.

15. If you had access to a time turner and there were no regulations regarding its usage, what would you use it for and why? I’d go back in time and see a ton of great concerts! Springsteen when he was young, Warren Zevon when he was alive, and Weezer when they didn’t suck! That would be great. I’d be to afraid of messing up the timeline to actually go back and change something, or do something super significant, so I’d limit it to semi-frivolous things like that.

16. In the Philosopher’s Stone (AKA Sorcerer’s Stone) Neville had a choice: he could let his friends go out at night when they weren’t supposed to and potentially they could lose points for his house, or he could confront them and stop them from breaking the rules. What would you have done in his situation? I think I would have stayed up, like Neville, but instead of confronting them so seriously, I’d try to figure out why they were doing what they were doing. If I didn’t buy it, I’d probably give them a ‘come on guys, just stay here.’, but I wouldn’t stop them. If they wanted to go out and ruin the house cup for everyone, that’s their choice. I’d probably be bummed I wasn’t invited.

17. Who (dead, alive, or fictional) do you most admire? This can be someone from real life or from Harry Potter. I really admire Jon Stewart. Not only is he hilarious, but he gets kids my age interested in politics, which is a miracle. If every young person would vote, we would live in an entirely different world. I believe everyone should vote. And it’s people like Jon Stewart to help to make voting, maybe, a little bit cool. I admire and respect that.

18. What is your favorite book outside of Harry Potter? What is it about this book that endears it to you? I’m a big fan of the His Dark Material trilogy. It’s a book that children can read, but it’s also for adults. It tackles serious issues without padding them, or dumbing them down. It’s also extremely entertaining, the characters are fully developed and interesting, and Pullman’s fantasy writing is so natural and real that it’s impossible not to fall in love.

19. You're sitting the final examination for a class that has given you a lot of trouble. Your grade is borderline, you really need to do well on this final to get an A. You can see the paper of your friend who sits next to you and who happens to excel in this subject. You've gotten to a question that you're stuck on. Do you glance at your friend's paper to figure out the answer or not? Why? I would do my best to figure out the answer, and then I would look at my friend’s paper to see if I was right. If I wasn’t, I would not change my answer. I’d be too curious to wait and see if I got the question right on my own, but I wouldn’t want to cheat off of my friend. Cheating is unacceptable.

20. In Goblet of Fire, Harry was chosen for the Tri-Wizard Tournament even with the age-line. Ron was unable to enter because of the age restriction even though he really wanted to be a part of the Tournament. Was Ron right to be jealous/angry at Harry? Were Harry's reactions appropriate? Why? Ron was not right to be angry at Harry. Harry was competing in horrible and dangerous competitions for which he had next to no serious training. Harry could have died, not to mention most of the school was mad at him. Ron turning on his friend in a time like that was totally lame. I think Harry was totally justified in how he treated Ron in return—he tried to get Ron to understand, and if my friend didn’t believe me when I was telling the truth, I’d get mad too.

21. Which class would you look forward to the most at Hogwarts? Which classes do you/did you excel in most at school? My favorite classes are English and Latin, but I do best in Creative Writing. I would LOVE to take Transfiguration…that stuff is so neat! I mean, it seems challenging, which I enjoy, and I really like Professor McGonagall. She’s tough, but fair, and secretly nice. I love teachers like that.

22. What would be the first place you visit during a Hogsmeade weekend? Why? Probably the Three Broomsticks. I love a good samwich (I spells it like I pronounce it…it’s a long story, don’t ask) and I’d probably want to kick off my day of running around with a tasty meal.

23. In the wizarding world, all 5th year students are required to pick a career to focus on going into their 6th and 7th years at Hogwarts. What career path would you choose? Why? I’d love to be a journalist. It’s been my dream to review movies ever since I can remember, and I’d love nothing more than to work for a big name paper like the Daily Prophet, though they are subject to the whims of the ministry. Knowing me, I’d end up writing about Blibbering Humdingers for the Quibbler.

24. In the Wizarding world, some pure-blood wizards consider Muggle-borns "filthy" and "horrible." In our world, people are categorized by their wealth, racial background, and appearance. What are your opinions on Muggle-borns? What are the qualities that you value in others? Muggle-borns are no different than other wizards. They can use magic. They go to magic school. I will never understand bigotry based on racial background, and such thinking is careless. I value honesty, kindness, a good sense of humor, and loyalty.

25. You have stumbled across five magical wells. One is the Well of Common Sense and Logic, the second is the Well of Creativity, the third is the Well of Optimism, the fourth is the Well of Physical Strength, and the fifth is the Well of Beauty. You can only drink from one well, but once you do you will be endowed with that ability for the rest of your life. Which well do you think you would definitely not need, and which do you think you would want to drink from? I have no need for the Well of Optimism, because I’m a naturally Optimistic person. It’s pretty tough to get me down. I think I’d drink from the Well of Creativity, because I hate those days when you’re feeling sucked dry or burnt out on creating. A quick drink and you never have to deal with that feeling again! Yeah, no contest: Well of Creativity.

26. In Half-Blood Prince, we witnessed Harry force-feeding Dumbledore the potion that weakened him, even though it pained Harry to do so, because he promised Dumbledore he would do whatever he wished. If you were in Harry's position, would you have stopped feeding Dumbledore the potion, or would you have continued? Do you think it was right for Harry to do as Dumbledore wished? Explain. I think it was absolutely right for Harry to go through with it, as I would have, for two reasons: first, Harry promised Dumbledore he would do whatever he said…when you promise a man like Dumbledore, you’d best make good on it. Second, Dumbledore is the wisest wizard in, like, the universe! He must have known what he was doing, and what it entailed. In book 7, I am certain we will find out that Dumbledore drinking the potion was for good in the end.

27. Anything else you want to tell us before we sort you? Also, please tell us where you heard about this community. (Members who refer new applicants receive points, so please try to be as specific as possible.)I heard about this community on the Harry and the Potters LJ com from mellow_cellist. Hoorah Harry and the Potters! I sing ‘Platform 9 ¾’ in the shower.
Tags: hufflepuff
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 11 comments