닐 (nil_chan) wrote in _belong,

nil_chan
_belong

Manga, Roald Dahl books, and Tim Burton movies

1. Name: Kaitlin McGrath

2. Age: 18

3. Gender: Female

4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP? How do you feel these hobbies/interests contribute to your personality? I draw, write, and sing. People would consider me an "artsy" person if I wasn't so lazy.

When I draw I love to use pencils, inks (usually in the form of a plain old ball point pen), and acrylic paint. Unless I'm doing a still-life, I usually have trouble drawing a background; whenever I draw a scene or a character straight from my head without references, it's hard for me to draw a complete picture since I can't seem to hold the image that I want in my mind. My favourite things to draw are people, mainly faces. I can still draw faces even during an artists' block. Sadly, even outside of an artists' block faces are about the extent of my best skills. I'm a fast inker too, because it's hard for me to concentrate long enough on any one project. I love acrylic paint because it dries fast and I normally use it improperly; I paint thick and never on canvas. Instead, I normally use poster board. The one medium I can never use is watercolour, because I’m much too impatient and have an unsteady hand; I always end up with splotched, ugly messes. I doodle all the time, but it's rare to find me working diligently on any one project, normally because I either get disgusted with my attempt, or just plain get bored with the entire project. I do my best artwork for classes and hope to take more drawing classes in college, mainly because my far off dream is to become a comic artist and writer.

On the subject of writing, it's something I've always done. I went into kindergarten knowing how to read, and used to write short stories up through elementary school. When I was twelve, I started attempts at novel-length fantasy stories, one of which I still have on my computer and am slowly going through and editing in hopes of salvaging the storyline. I used to write fanfics, but after a few short ones I decided that I don't like writing with other people's characters and settings because they hold limits (I could hardly ever bring myself to bring them out-of-character out of respect and adoration for the original author). Instead, now, I've been brainstorming with stories and characters that I want to use someday for a comic, and most of my stories are short stories. I have a writing buddy, a friend of about fifteen years, and she helps inspire and trade off with me on stories. For example, I'll come up with an idea, she'll go over it with me, put in her opinions, and tell me to write it in exchange that she'll write something in return. It helps keep me motivated, and it's always nice to have an audience. I describe myself as an "emotional" writer since I always write to push a theme or the emotion I most want to convey. I use a lot of imagery and allusion, and all the action I use goes to support my underlying idea. My friend, however, is a complete action writer and, in some cases, we get frustrated at each others' work.

I've been singing since I was in second grade. I started by joining a special group that was only offered to the kids the chorus director had previously chosen, moving on to joining my church's adult choir at ten. I've been in chorus since I was old enough (4th grade) and have been in Show Choir (the closest thing to participating in a musical, since our school was too small to offer one; we sang and performed songs selected from different musicals) since 7th grade. I love to sing. I don't have the most talent or the best voice, but I've been known to carry my section (Soprano) by my volume and my determination to get the others to hit the right notes. I used to play piano and trumpet, eventually quitting both because of disinterest, but what I learned from those lessons has continued to help me when I sing. I participated in Drama Club a few years, where most of my parts (even though it wasn't a musical) required me to sing. In my Senior year, my school, after twenty years, decided to run a musical, The Wizard of Oz. I most wanted to be the witch, but missed the regular auditions and wasn't allowed to audition for her. Instead, I was put in the Chorus, and spent the entire time bitter and angry and overall, making it very difficult for the director. (I usually don't hold grudges, but, I was definitely furious with that woman.) Most of my family were also annoyed, but they got tired of me complaining more than they were angry at the director.

I'm not an athletic person. I used to swim, which is the only thing I've ever considered of returning to by sheer fact that I can do it alone and only have myself to worry about. Before, I swam on a team, which is why I quit, because I was tired of being the slowest person and getting my ass handed to me by skinny little twelve-year-old girls (I was sixteen). I ran Cross Country for a few years, but always came dead last, which was only fine because our girls' team barely had enough people to compete with. I'm not a competitive person. In the face of competition I concede because of pure laziness and an unwillingness to work hard. The only reason why I kept with Cross Country and Track from the start was because my friends were on the team, encouraging me. It was fun being in a group with them, but the work and our coach (who could only be described as "militaristic" in his execution) made me want to quit, which I did. Even now, just the thought of exercise or working out makes me wince; I'm too much of a hedonist, even despite the fact that I really want to lose weight.

I love anime and manga and any good book (I normally wait for friends' recommendations before I read anything). My favourite manga are Naruto and Tramps Likes Us, Naruto because of its huge assortment of characters and original storyline, and Tramps Likes Us because of its realism and romance. (For those who aren't familiar with it, Tramps Like Us is about a highly-educated, ambitious woman who finds a homeless boy in a cardboard box outside her apartment building and takes him in on the condition that he'll be her "pet". As the story goes along, you more and more feel that they are falling in love, despite the fact that the woman already has a boyfriend, and the boy has an ex who hasn't given up on him. It was also a J-drama, Kimi wa Petto.) For the most part, I love fantasy, sci-fi, and historical novels. In books I look for interesting characters and settings. In manga, I first look for amazing artwork, and then I'll check the storyline and hope that it's to my liking. I'm more likely to read horror than a comedy because I love dark themes. I'm also a ridiculous yaoi fangirl, which loses me points.

I think those are about it, outside of the HP fandom...

5. Which Harry Potter character do you feel you can relate to the most? Explain. Which character is your favorite? Again, explain. I can't really relate to any one and instead find aspects of different characters that I feel are like me. For instance, I can identify with the Weasley twins because of their need to get away from home and the pressures to "take the right classes", "pass the right tests", and "get the right job". Right now, I'm going into college and my only definite is that I'm majoring in Asian Studies. Other than that, I'm not sure if I'm going to take Art or Journalism as a minor or maybe even something different. I only know what I want to learn, and have no idea how I'm going to apply any of it to a job or what kind of job I even truly want, which has upset most of my family. When the Weasley twins left Hogwarts, I was literally cheering out loud as I read it because I knew they were going to go off and accomplish what they wanted, their family be damned.

Another character I find myself identifying with on some occasions is Neville. For example, to me he's always seemed like a character that is friends with most of his house, but doesn't have a greatly close friendship with anyone. When he tried to stop "The Trio" (Harry, Ron, and Hermione) it really felt like he was trying to stop the closest group of his friends. I've felt left out so many times that I can't help but feel strongly about him (if my friends even keep little secrets from me I feel betrayed, as I’m the kind of person that, if there’s something on my mind that’s troubling me, I’ll say it). I've felt as awkward as he has before too, just as being the odd one out or for having different opinions or interests, ect.

As for my favourite characters, I adore Draco, especially after The Half-Blood Prince. Rowling did a great job of making Harry the bad guy in the bathroom scene. I love when villains are no more than victims themselves, especially wonderful little snobs like Draco. To me, he's never been evil, just a little boy who looks up to his father and has struggled to be like him. There's never been anything truly evil about Draco, which is all the more reason to feel sorry for him now and love him more than ever. Before I just loved him because he was such an arrogant little snot, which never failed to make me laugh. Even though Harry had Voldemort to worry about, it didn't mean that everyone had to be nice to him. It really is much more likely for someone to resent and be jealous of his fame, which I think Draco has been used quite brilliantly for.

For other characters that I love, the Weasley twins also help top that list. I mean, who doesn't love them? First of all, they provide just about all the comic relief within the books. I adore people with senses of humor, and whenever I read their lines I wish I knew someone with even a quarter of their charm and humor. As for the rest, my other favourites within the book pretty much include the entire Slytherin house. Why? Because they're mysterious, (presumably) "bad", and altogether an exclusive group. It's always been "Good Gryffindor" VS the "Big, Bad Slytherins" within the books. People with that much of a reputation behind them are definitely worth the interest.

6. Give us the reasons for and against you being sorted into each of the houses.
a. Gryffindor
For: They stand up for what they believe in and fight for it. I am also very stubborn in my beliefs (I’m considered “open-minded” because I’m very liberal, but I’m very close-minded towards the views of conservative people, if that makes sense).
Against: I’m not really brave more than stupidly stubborn, so it wouldn’t really fit me all that well. There are very few things I’ll fight all out for. If I think I’d no way of winning a fight for something I believe in, then I turn and say that I didn’t care all that much about it anyway.

b. Hufflepuff
For: I’m very loyal to my friends and hardly hold a grudge. In fact, I can hardly live without people that I’m close to. I went to my college orientation and, since no one there seemed to have much in common with me at all, found myself missing my friends terribly, and I was only there for two days! I try to be kind to others and I most respect people who are also kind to others.
Against: I have the patience of a barreling freight train, especially with my friends who know me well. I have a quick flaring temper that is extinguished almost as soon as it starts, but the fact is that it’s there. In other words, I’m too selfish and impatient to be as calm as this house would suggest.

c. Ravenclaw
For: I admit it, when I find something I’m interested in, I try to learn everything about it. For example, I had to write a twelve page research paper, and decided to do the entire thing on tattoos, since after I learned about them, I was fascinated with both Japanese irezumi (full-body tattoos) and the code within Russian criminal tattoos, so I used the paper as an excuse to order an “encyclopedia” on the tattoo codes and intensely research irezumi. I’ve got a brain full of trivial knowledge, and I have a tendency to brag about my academic accomplishments.
Against: I’m only as ambitious as far as my interests go, however. As I said before, I’m not competitive, and if I’m around someone more intelligent than myself, I do everything in my power not to bring it up because sometimes I’ll find myself jealous if, once again, it’s one of my interests. If I don’t feel adequate, I tend to shut down and not try at all. To me it’s better to say that I didn’t try and failed than I tried and failed. Why? Because if I said I didn’t try and failed, then people would wonder what would have happened if I tried. I’d rather pretend that I had potential than admit that I can’t do something.

d. Slytherin
For: It is fascinating to think of being in a group of people who would do anything to achieve their ends. I’d like to think I was like that: cunning, mysterious, ambitious, merciless. The greatest part is that since you lay everything on the line, you do find out who your true friends are, because, in a way, it’s like you’re being brutally honest. From my friends, I’ve been told I’m a little too honest. On the other hand, I lie my face off to my parents in hopes of getting what I want. I’ve done it since I was twelve and can’t seem to break the habit. I’ve done similar in school; if I didn’t do a paper I’d do the beg/plead/excuse attempt to avoid getting a low grade.
Against: I’m barely cunning enough to fool a four-year-old in most cases (aside from the parents and school). And, as I said before, I’m not ambitious or competitive. I’m much too lazy.

7. What was your least favorite moment in HP? Hmm, I'd have to say most of the beginning of The Order of the Phoenix (probably too, the entire book) when Harry was angry with everyone for not including him during the Order's planning process. He just sounded too whiny and nasty. It was very annoying reading through his teenage angst, like going through puberty all over again. I mean, protagonists need angst to make the story interesting, but he was being ridiculous by accusing everyone of conspiring against him and strutting angrily about. He acted more like a five-year-old with a tantrum than a fifteen-year-old, and I couldn't stand it. I don't think I can ever bring myself to read that book again, I really don't.

8. What about HP appeals to you (e.g. the romance, the adventure, the friendships, the fantasy, the mystery)? I like the characters and the room they have to grow in their environment. Rowling created a very complex and likeable world. Setting is very important to me, and good characters that can be developed and expanded even more so. To be honest, I find myself disliking The Trio probably most of all within the books, only because I get annoyed with one or all of them and their actions. It's nice to have a large selection of other characters to concentrate on if Harry or Ron or Hermione are in a tiff and playing out another one of their long "quarrels". There's always at least one other thing going on outside of their little group, and it's fun to try to find out as much as I can about the other characters and the events taking place.

Sadly, a thing I could say that appeals to me most from HP would be the fandom. To me, the books are great and the fandom is better.

9. What would you do if your friend was in danger? What would you give up in order to save them? Would you lay your life on the line? If my friend was in danger, I'd like to think I'd do everything I could to help them, and if that included laying my life on the line, than probably, if it seemed the only way, though, sadly, it really depends on the friend. I hate to admit it, but I'd probably be more likely of saving one friend than another, only because of closeness or petty arguments within the past. I'd feel horrible afterwards, of course, if I could have done something to help them and didn't, but the fact remains that I wouldn't have put my life on the line for that particular person.

10. Given a choice between fame and money, which would you choose? Money. It's much more constructive. I mean, with fame, everyone knows you, so, if enough people liked you than maybe you could work to persuade a group, but, with money, it's so much easier to do things yourself. For instance, in my case, I would use the money to buy more art supplies, art lessons, ect, to be able to improve and share my artwork. The money can also be directly sent to charities or people in need. With fame, you could only hope that if you said so, other people would be willing to raise money and help people. I don't know, I just think that money is so much more useful than fame itself.

11. If you could only store one memory in the Pensieve to visit over again, which one would it be? Why? Um, any time with a friend where I had no responsibilities or anything to worry about, where I could just spend time with them and be myself and laugh over stupid stuff. When I'm upset, I like to try to think of times where I was happy, and being relaxed and with people I like has always made me happy. I have a close friend who likes to keep stuff close to her heart and is rarely open about anything that she’s feeling. There have been a few times when she’s been more open than usual, and those would also definitely be times that I would consider holding onto.

12. What excites you the most in life? Where do you get the most joy and fulfillment? Being around the people that I like; I like to share most of my experiences. For example, if I see a movie for the first time that I really like, I’ll then try to get one of my friends to watch it with me, just so I can see their reactions to it while they’re watching it. I'm a very social person within my group of friends and try to know as much as I can about them. As for joy and fulfillment, I get that both out of writing and out of the reading I do. When I say reading, I mean it could be a story or even just information, because I like to learn as much as I can about the things I find interesting; I have a head full of trivial knowledge that'll probably get me nowhere, but it makes me happy.

13. If you were in Harry's position during the "Snape's Worst Memory" incident, how would you view Peter, James, Sirius, Lily, Remus, and Snape differently? Why? I'd be ashamed of my father and Sirius for that incident but try not to let that make me entirely change my view of them. Instead, I'd try to take it positively in the way that I now knew more about them, even if it were bad. I'd mostly just change my view on Snape, if I were Harry, and try to be at least a little more humane around him and not instigate any problems.

14. Imagine you were an eleven-year-old Muggleborn witch/wizard who did not know about magic and had just received your Hogwarts letter. How would you react to leaving home and going to a magic school? I'd be excited, though a little nervous and upset if my friends around me were Muggles and I couldn't tell them about it. It's difficult for me to make new friends (it's a long process to make close ones), but I'd try once I got there and try to learn as much as I could so I could fit in with the kids who had already known about magic. For the going off and learning magic, I'd be very, very excited. Who wouldn't be? I mean, magic can't solve everything, but it can definitely make some aspects of life easier or more interesting.

15. If you had access to a time turner and there were no regulations regarding its usage, what would you use it for and why? Little things like having more free time between my responsibilities to relax. Maybe I'd use it to get more of the things I'd like to get done actually done.

16. In the Philosopher’s Stone (AKA Sorcerer’s Stone) Neville had a choice: he could let his friends go out at night when they weren’t supposed to and potentially they could lose points for his house, or he could confront them and stop them from breaking the rules. What would you have done in his situation? I would care more about my friends feelings than my house (as I said before, I'm not a competitive person or a team player). If they're breaking the rules, it'd most likely be for an important reason and I'd trust them to be careful, though I'd be upset that I wasn't included.

17. Who (dead, alive, or fictional) do you most admire? This can be someone from real life or from Harry Potter. When I think about it, I actually think I most admire Roald Dahl. I love all his stories and his humor. I mean, he wrote children's books in which he criticized children! He had a very different view towards life and people, and I really admire how he presented this. I bought The Roald Dahl Treasury and there were some letters to him from children printed inside which he answered. It made me really wish that I had been born early enough so that I could have written to him before he died, probably just stating that I love his stories and asking him how he got the idea for a few of them (though, from reading Boy a lot of those questions are answered there).

18. What is your favorite book outside of Harry Potter? What is it about this book that endears it to you? The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, because I think it's funny as hell and makes "the way the world works" a lot more easier to handle. It basically takes all the bad things in life and sticks a tag of humor to it, which makes it seem that much less unbearable, even if only for a moment. As I said before, I also love anything by Roald Dahl; if he had written a huge novel that would probably be my ultimate favourite book.

19. You're sitting the final examination for a class that has given you a lot of trouble. Your grade is borderline, you really need to do well on this final to get an A. You can see the paper of your friend who sits next to you and who happens to excel in this subject. You've gotten to a question that you're stuck on. Do you glance at your friend's paper to figure out the answer or not? Why? Well, I would if I knew I was going to fail unless I did superbly only from sheer fear of doing horribly. I wouldn't do it just to get a higher grade if I was already passing though. So basically, I'd do it to keep from failing, but not to make myself look better, if that makes sense? I don’t care that much about my grades.

20. In Goblet of Fire, Harry was chosen for the Tri-Wizard Tournament even with the age-line. Ron was unable to enter because of the age restriction even though he really wanted to be a part of the Tournament. Was Ron right to be jealous/angry at Harry? Were Harry's reactions appropriate? Why? Ron didn't have any right, and I thought Harry reacted the best he could given the situation. Ron was being really unreasonable since it was obviously not Harry's fault and he was just bitter because he couldn't understand it. I mean, I'm probably being a hypocrite, since I've heard from my friends that I've done exactly the same thing, but when I witness another person doing it, I get annoyed.

21. Which class would you look forward to the most at Hogwarts? Which classes do you/did you excel in most at school? Probably Transfiguration and Defense Against the Dark Arts, because I'd like to be an Animagus (doesn't everyone) and changing what a thing is seems rather useful (I keep thinking of alchemy). I'd be interested in the Defense Against the Dark Arts because I'd like to learn about the unforgivables and how to counter them from sheer curiosity. In school I've done well in English, Art, and Foreign Languages, and took AP (college-level) courses in all three during my Senior year of high school.

22. What would be the first place you visit during a Hogsmeade weekend? Why? The Shrieking Shack. I have an obsession with things and places that people consider "scary" because I like to find out why exactly they find it scary. For example, I have a skeleton fetish. I also love stories about vampires and ghosts. There's a so-called "ghost" in my high school and instead of indulging in watching the tapes my classmates recorded and being scared with the rest of them, I've been the one sitting there going, "Why would there be a ghost here? Have you ever heard of anyone dying? No, I'm not saying I don't believe there couldn't be a ghost here, I'm just trying to find out why they would be here, which would make this so much cooler if it had a tragic story behind it!" As for the Shrieking Shack, I'd probably be really bad too and try to get close or sneak inside.

23. In the wizarding world, all 5th year students are required to pick a career to focus on going into their 6th and 7th years at Hogwarts. What career path would you choose? Why? Well, I've always been baffled by what jobs there are for the wizards in the books, honestly. I'd probably just try to be an artist that sells moving paintings to Wizards and regular paintings to Muggles, and maybe even be mischievous about it and put random spells on them like one that would make the buyer of the painting treasure it more than their own spouse...well, maybe not something so cruel but, I'd probably misbehave at least. I would have said Auror, but again, I'm not that motivated.

24. In the Wizarding world, some pure-blood wizards consider Muggle-borns "filthy" and "horrible." In our world, people are categorized by their wealth, racial background, and appearance. What are your opinions on Muggle-borns? What are the qualities that you value in others? Muggle-borns are the same as all the others, in my opinion. Actually, in some cases they could probably be more useful since they'd learn to be involved in both worlds and could act as a bridge between them. I most value humor and kindness in other people, regardless of their social status, race, appearance, ect.

25. You have stumbled across five magical wells. One is the Well of Common Sense and Logic, the second is the Well of Creativity, the third is the Well of Optimism, the fourth is the Well of Physical Strength, and the fifth is the Well of Beauty. You can only drink from one well, but once you do you will be endowed with that ability for the rest of your life. Which well do you think you would definitely not need, and which do you think you would want to drink from? I WOULD DRINK FROM THE WELL OF CREATIVITY!!! I find it so hard sometimes to come up with original ideas for stories or characters or even pictures. For example, one of the characters I created uses a chain as a weapon and (at one point) could view the fears and weaknesses of his opponents and make illusions of their fears. When I was describing him to one of my friends, they suddenly said, "Oh, that sounds a lot like these characters from a game I play; they use chains and give people nightmares." I hadn't even played the game, but somehow I managed to make something ridiculously similar to an idea in it. The next two I would consider would be Optimism and Beauty. I'd love to be happy and optimistic all the time, but it would probably make me very, very annoying if I was ever trapped in a completely impossible and tragic situation and was optimistic about the whole thing. As for Beauty, who doesn't want to be accepted by all and physically appealing, even if it is only that? I mean, it's pretty shallow to want people to like you just because you're good looking, but it still would be nice to be attractive, wouldn't it? The two I would definitely not need are Common Sense and Logic and Physical Strength, the logic because I’m perfectly content not being too smart. After all, “ignorance is bliss”. As for the Physical Strength, that also has never been that important to me. “So, you’re physically strong. Big deal.”

26. In Half-Blood Prince, we witnessed Harry force-feeding Dumbledore the potion that weakened him, even though it pained Harry to do so, because he promised Dumbledore he would do whatever he wished. If you were in Harry's position, would you have stopped feeding Dumbledore the potion, or would you have continued? Do you think it was right for Harry to do as Dumbledore wished? Explain. I would have continued. This is about the same thing as assisted suicide, which I feel the same way towards: If it is the person's wish and they would like help having it accomplished, I would help do it, since it is what they want. Their wish is more important than my own opinion on the matter.

27. Anything else you want to tell us before we sort you? Also, please tell us where you heard about this community. (Members who refer new applicants receive points, so please try to be as specific as possible.) I like to sing in the shower! As for how I got here, I found my way here accidentally while I was going through interest searches.
Tags: hufflepuff
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 8 comments