duendeoflorien
_belong

• Mood:
  • Music:

Queer As Folk, West Wing

1. Name: Jessica

2. Age: 19

3. Gender: Female

4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP? How do you feel these hobbies/interests contribute to your personality? Outside of Harry Potter, I tend to fill my time with writing, reading, music, and photography. I started to read at an early age, and it seems as though I haven’t gotten my nose out of a book or some sort of literature since then. I like reading because it takes you away from life and transports you, letting you in to another world for a time. Reading has opened my mind to other worlds and cultures, and not to mention an excellent vocabulary and knack for the English language. The reading then lead to writing, which allows me to expand on my imagination and use it to my advantage, to say what I want to say and put people, places and events into their own stories and time lines. I’ve always wanted to be a published author, and having that goal in mind, I’m keen on someday getting published, even if it’s just a small publisher. Writing also helps me stay focused on tasks at hand: I set goals for myself, such as write three pages today, and you’ll be one step closer to finishing that manuscript. I tend to carry this habit over to my everyday life.

Music is my muse. From an early age, my mother insisted on us listening to music…good music. The house was never quiet. I used to make music, but now I enjoy listening to it, and appreciating it. Music is a universal language that everyone can understand, so why wouldn’t someone want to appreciate it and embrace it? This has taught me to try and understand cultural differences, differences in opinions and where people are coming from.

Photography is one of the most beautiful forms of art. It’s my second love, next reading/writing. My favorite place to take pictures is in New York City. I will usually just walk the streets amongst the buildings until I find cool angles and lighting to work with. My father got me in to this, and as for my personality, I really don’t think it contributes anything; it’s just something I like to do.

5. Which Harry Potter character do you feel you can relate to the most? Explain. Which character is your favorite? Again, explain. I feel I can relate mostly to Hermione because I’m quite studious and I am known as either Grammar Queen, or Talking Encyclopedia to my friends and family. Yes, it’s quite true. Anyway, I’m also a perfectionist and everything has to be done just so; it’s either my way or the highway. I’m okay with breaking the rules every once in a while, but it has to be for a good cause, like saving the world from imminent danger. I’m not happy unless I’m reading, learning something new, or basically keeping my mind busy. I do tend to get bored easily if there’s nothing stimulating around, but I usually cook up something for me to do.

My favorite character, however, is Professor McGonagall. She’s stoic, she’s stern, but yet she has a certain soft spot for her Gryffindor students. She’s good in times of trouble, and she’s dependable. I think it’s good that her students can count on her for just about anything, but without losing that student/teacher barrier. She’s also really good at what she does, and I think she really likes it.

6. Give us the reasons for and against you being sorted into each of the houses.
a. Gryffindor
For: I’m enthusiastic about almost everything that I care about: family, friends, life, my hobbies and interests.
Against. Honestly, I am just not that brave. Not even the risk taking. I just couldn’t make the decision to take the risk or initiative and deal with the consequences.

b. Hufflepuff
For: I’m a very accepting person, and I’m willing to sit down and just have a conversation with someone. I’m fiercely loyal when it comes to my friends, and I don’t know what I would do without them.
Against: I’m cynical and have a very sick, sarcastic, dry sense of humor that I think would put them off, for some reason.

c. Ravenclaw
For: I am addicted to books and learning. I’m not happy unless I’m learning something, or discovering something. I also almost always have a book with me, sometimes more.
Against: There are so many people smarter than I am; and I tend to procrastinate like it’s my job (sometimes, I wonder if I have indirectly made it so).

d. Slytherin
For: I’ll do anything to advance my position. I can be sneaky and devious, or I can be undetectable about it. Anything to get ahead and get a leg up is alright in my book. I’ll do whatever it takes, minus cutthroat, etc.
Against: I’m okay with not being the badass, and if things don’t work out for the best, that’s fine.

7. What was your least favorite moment in HP? All of book five. It’s just…I don’t like anything in that book because of the way Harry’s characterized (a bitchy, hormonal teen who thinks he’s the center of the world), Sirius’ death, and just the basic filler-ness of it all. Harry’s bitchiness really put me off of the fifth book, hence the reason I’m not too excited for the fifth movie.

8. What about HP appeals to you (e.g. the romance, the adventure, the friendships, the fantasy, the mystery)? The style of writing and the mystery. The style works perfectly in sync with the mystery, and that’s what keeps people turning the pages and buying the books when they come out. This isn’t just some silly good against evil book series; there is meat and potatoes to it, and J.K. Rowling has put a lot of thought into it. To keep people guessing and turning pages is a talent like no other; and certainly a talent I would like to possess in my writing.

9. What would you do if your friend was in danger? What would you give up in order to save them? Would you lay your life on the line? If my friend were in danger, honestly, I would probably be right up there with them. However, if I wasn’t there, I would save her. I wouldn’t know what to do without my best friend. I would give up just about anything to save her, because she’s my confidante, and just about the only person I really trust.

10. Given a choice between fame and money, which would you choose? Fame. I’ve always wanted to be famous, ever since I was a kid. I suppose that’s where the desire to publish a book has come from. I just want everyone to know my name and go around recommending my book or movie or whatnot. It’s a self-esteem booster, fame is.

11 If you could only store one memory in the Pensieve to visit over again, which one would it be? Why? The memory of sitting in my grandfather’s lap, chewing gum. He hated the sound of snapping gum, and someone had snapped the gum, and it wasn’t me; it was my aunt. I would put it in the Pensieve because it’s the only memory I have of him (he passed away when I was 6 from cancer) and I’d like to remember him for the quirky guy he must have been.

12. What excites you the most in life? Where do you get the most joy and fulfillment? I love it when people respond to my writings that I post. It’s a huge confidence booster, and it lets me know that I am doing what I like to be doing: entertaining people through the ways of literature and writing. I get especially excited when people pimp my stuff!! It makes me feel special, and knowing that my name is getting out there makes me feel good. I like to know my work is appreciated.

13. If you were in Harry's position during the "Snape's Worst Memory" incident, how would you view Peter, James, Sirius, Lily, Remus, and Snape differently? Why? Everyone always knew that James and Sirius weren’t model students in school, and if I were Harry, I would feel…well, a little let down at the actions of the people I hold in such high esteem were so demeaning. It’s a shame that Harry never really knew his father and he had to seem him acting like an ass, just to impress a girl, who wasn’t even really impressed to begin with. I would feel let down because I hold those people highly, and to see them acting like that would just dash my memories. Your father is supposed to be your role model. Not some jerk who puts people upside down.

Come to think of it…their actions were almost just as bad as a Death Eater’s would have been towards a Muggle-born.

14. Imagine you were an eleven-year-old Muggle-born witch/wizard who did not know about magic and had just received your Hogwarts letter. How would you react to leaving home and going to a magic school? I’ve actually spent an entire year away from home on exchange when I was 15, but I can relate. I felt alone. There were no other words for it. I can’t imagine what it would be like for an 11 year old child to be shipped off to a boarding school in the middle of Scotland. Just keep reading that letter over and over going, “How and/or why did this have to happen to me?” Especially if it’s a Muggle-born child, where the only thing he knows about magic is the fairy tales she’s read and Cinderella’s Fair Godmother saying “Bibbity, bobbity, boo.” Scared, alone, clueless…all those things that make you a nervous wreck. But I think under it all, I would be so excited…I would be learning about all the things I had heard about in fairy tales!

15. If you had access to a time turner and there were no regulations regarding its usage, what would you use it for and why? Hmm. I would go back to one of the pizza nights my family would have with my grandfather before he passed away…or basically, just any moment with him. I’m actually really family oriented, so I’d be happy going to back and looking on all the good times my family and I have had. I wouldn’t change a thing; I would go back just to remember.

16. In the Philosopher’s Stone (AKA Sorcerer’s Stone) Neville had a choice: he could let his friends go out at night when they weren’t supposed to and potentially they could lose points for his house, or he could confront them and stop them from breaking the rules. What would you have done in his situation? Honestly, I would have asked to come along. It’s exciting, it’s out after hours, and it’s an adventure! Who knows what could come of it. However, since I am in Neville’s place, I would have tried to have stopped them. It’s dangerous and no one wants to risk getting in to trouble or worse, getting killed/hurt.

17. Who (dead, alive, or fictional) do you most admire? This can be someone from real life or from Harry Potter. I admire J.K. Rowling for her perseverance in life while she was still on public support and getting by on almost nothing. Then to make it *this* big so fast would make anyone else’s head spin, but she’s staid grounded throughout the whole thing, and hasn’t let the fame take over her life.

18. What is your favorite book outside of Harry Potter? What is it about this book that endears it to you? I love love love classic Brit Lit. Jane Eyre is quite possibly my most favorite because it’s has such a good love story, and Jane is triumphant in the end!! Her struggles with Mr. Rochester are just so…classic love story that it’s hard not to love it. Her ascension in life from a miserable orphan to a loved woman is timeless.

19. You're sitting the final examination for a class that has given you a lot of trouble. Your grade is borderline; you really need to do well on this final to get an A. You can see the paper of your friend who sits next to you and who happens to excel in this subject. You've gotten to a question that you're stuck on. Do you glance at your friend's paper to figure out the answer or not? Why? Ehh, probably not. I try to keep myself honest, because, as cliché as it is, honesty is the best policy. Although, if I want to go in to politics I may need to rethink that…

20. In Goblet of Fire, Harry was chosen for the Tri-Wizard Tournament even with the age-line. Ron was unable to enter because of the age restriction even though he really wanted to be a part of the Tournament. Was Ron right to be jealous/angry at Harry? Were Harry's reactions appropriate? Why? Ron’s just…thick headed, honestly. I was never a big Ron fan. I think he overreacted and never gave Harry a chance to properly explain. Also, if he was a good friend of Harry’s he would have taken Harry’s explanation without question. Because of Ron’s reaction, Harry’s reaction was justified. I would have acted the same way had I been in Harry’s position.

21. Which class would you look forward to the most at Hogwarts? Which classes do you/did you excel in most at school? I would probably look forward to Transfigurations the most; it seems to be very complex and hands-on, which I love. The more I get to actually do, the better. Plus, there’s a lot of theory behind it, which equals research and as frustrating as research can be, I find it all together interesting. In school, I excelled at History, French, and English, which is good because it made my high school career go much faster.

22. What would be the first place you visit during a Hogsmeade weekend? Why? Zonko’s!!! I love jokes and April Fool’s Day. I helped orchestrate our senior prank on our old cantankerous Economics teacher, and it was a hit. I like to make people laugh and what better way to do it than stopping by Zonko’s and getting some jokes? And laughter cures anything; I know from experience.

23. In the Wizarding world, all 5th year students are required to pick a career to focus on going into their 6th and 7th years at Hogwarts. What career path would you choose? Why? I would like to be a teacher. If I were a student at Hogwart’s I’d elect to be a teacher, molding and melding new student’s minds. I like watching children’s faces as they discover something new and interesting, and it’s a great feeling knowing you’re helping those kids.

24. In the Wizarding world, some pure-blood wizards consider Muggle-borns "filthy" and "horrible." In our world, people are categorized by their wealth, racial background, and appearance. What are your opinions on Muggle-borns? What are the qualities that you value in others? Muggle-borns are humans, too. They just don’t have the same powers others do. You can’t segregate based on that kind of thing. It’s like racial segregation fifty-odd years ago. It’s just a dumb idea. They’re not lesser than you are; they’re still human. I value loyalty, intelligence, and a killer sense of humor. My friends have to be able to make me laugh.

25. You have stumbled across five magical wells. One is the Well of Common Sense and Logic, the second is the Well of Creativity, the third is the Well of Optimism, the fourth is the Well of Physical Strength, and the fifth is the Well of Beauty. You can only drink from one well, but once you do you will be endowed with that ability for the rest of your life. Which well do you think you would definitely not need, and which do you think you would want to drink from? I definitely don’t need the Well of Creativity; I’ve got enough of that stuff in my head, swishing around and forming plot bunnies and never-ending rivers of story lines, characters, things to take pictures of, etc. I would most definitely take a huge sip from the Well of Common Sense and Logic, because, simply put, I have none. I’ve been told that it’s the one thing I’m lacking, and I have to agree with them. I usually do not think before speaking or acting, so as you can imagine…I tend to get myself into some trouble.

26. In Half-Blood Prince, we witnessed Harry force-feeding Dumbledore the potion that weakened him, even though it pained Harry to do so, because he promised Dumbledore he would do whatever he wished. If you were in Harry's position, would you have stopped feeding Dumbledore the potion, or would you have continued? Do you think it was right for Harry to do as Dumbledore wished? Explain. I seem to have a big problem with watching people be in any sort of extreme physical/mental/emotional pain or turmoil. I usually keep my promises, but that would have been a promise I would have had to have broken. It would have broken me to force-feed the potion to Dumbledore and I would not have been able to go on. And then find out in the end it was just futile? I wouldn’t be able to live with myself.

27. Anything else you want to tell us before we sort you? Also, please tell us where you heard about this community. (Members who refer new applicants receive points, so please try to be as specific as possible.) I like to sing in the shower...those obnoxious Broadway show tunes you can belt. I also really liked this community because Hogwarts_elite seemed too uptight for me, and the swinger was the fact that you had a locked comm for adult fan fiction, being both a fan and writer of fan fiction. Mostly of the Harry/Draco variety.
Tags: ravenclaw
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 11 comments