Ivy (ivy_ink) wrote in _belong,
Ivy
ivy_ink
_belong

BtVS, Rent, CSI

1. Name: Amy

2. Age: 21

3. Gender: Female

4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP? How do you feel these hobbies/interests contribute to your personality?
Biggest hobbies would have to be reading and writing. I'm an avid reader, both of regular bound books and fanfiction alike. I love to write, and have been writing in fandom for over 9 years now. These interests tend to consume a lot of time, but when I'm not reading or writing, I'm probably crafting. I taught myself to crochet last year and I'm always working on a new trick.

Outside of that, I really like watching TV, which is probably not the best hobby, but contributes to another big interest, fandom. I love fandom and all its quirks. I love the good, the bad and watching it evolve. I'm a bit of an amateur fandom anthropologist, I love keep tracking of big fights and rifts and events, just for my own personal knowledge. Sociology in general is an interest of mine (also my minor) and I love watching people to see what they do and try to figure out why they do it. Music is another big interest/obsession of mine. I don't play anything, and I don't know any musical theory, but I absolutely love music. The right melody or bridge or rift can completely turn my day around. I just absolutely love and adore music.

These all contribute to my personality in different ways. I think they tell a lot about me - I have a variety of interests, most of which are pretty solitary activities as for the most part I tend to stick to myself (but I am involved in several large organizations at school) and I like my alone time. I especially need a lot of time to just relax and think about everything. I really value my time alone, and I need to recharge.

5. Which Harry Potter character do you feel you can relate to the most? Explain. Which character is your favorite? Again, explain.
I suppose of everyone the character I relate to best is Hermione. I tend to be a secondary player - I might think I want to be in the center of attention but when it comes down to it I'll always back out of the spotlight. I'm a planner. If I'm going to do something, I better have a plan of action and a map in case I get lost. I'm full of random information that I often spout out as points of interest during conversation, which has lead to many of my friends coming to me for the answers to very random questions. I'd rather be reading, and friendship is very important to me.

My favorite character is probably Remus. He's very interesting to me, with a troubled past that doesn't overly cloud his present. I like the way he deals with his problems. He's also very accepting of his circumstances - he plays the hand he's been dealt. It's an admirable characteristic to me. He is optimistic about his situation without being annoying about it. He's a wonderful guide for the kids, as well, and that is often a monumental undertaking.

6. Give us the reasons for and against you being sorted into each of the houses.
a. Gryffindor
For: I am a fiercely loyal person. Sometimes to a fault. I stick by my friends until the end, but I am capable of seeing when I'm being manipulated. Still, I'd back a tried-and-true friend to the ends of the earth.
Against. I am decidedly not brave. I might take a few risks here and there, but it is not a quality of mine. I like playing it safe for the most part. If I did do something brave, it would have to be on pure intuition. For the most part I like to know what I'm doing and why.

b. Hufflepuff
For: I'm pretty easy going. I'd like for everyone to get along. This isn't always possible, but it's a wish.
Against: I can be unintentionally confrontational. And even though I'd like for everyone to get along, there are just some instances in which even I can't push for that kind of togetherness, nor do I want to.

c. Ravenclaw
For: I consider myself pretty bookish and interested in learning. It's definitely something that I enjoy greatly. I tend to learn on my own terms, usually ending more self-taught than learnt-by-instruction.
Against: I'm awful at studying. I can't study in a group, I usually need the TV on at the same time, and it usually happens that if I didn't learn it in class, I didn't learn it. I test terribly, too.

d. Slytherin
For: Ambitious should be my middle name. I'm always coming up with lofty goals, elaborate projects, things that would require massive undertakings. I have high hopes for myself in the future.
Against: I have almost no follow through. I might starting planning in April and be half way done by December. If I ever finish at all.

7. What was your least favorite moment in HP?
Probably Dumbledore dying. I know it was probably necessary in the end, and I'm not even saying I'd change it, but it was really sad. It makes it seem even more like all the important people in Harry's life die. And just the circumstances in general - Draco trying and failing, and it having to be Snape, it all just seems so very upsetting and depressing. Making it my least favorite moment.

8. What about HP appeals to you (e.g. the romance, the adventure, the friendships, the fantasy, the mystery)?
The writing style, to be honest. All of the aspects about the story, the romance, adventure, friendships, it all appeals to me, but what I notice and enjoy the best is how everything is pulled together. It's often so seamless, and I'm absolutely fascinated by the ability to plot a book out the way HP is plotted out. I admit, I'm not much of a fantasy reader, but something about these books goes beyond fantasy to me. I'm not a big mystery reader either, but I can't help but get caught up in the mysteries of HP and the theories around them. I have to attribute me liking all the different threads of the story to the amazing writing style.

9. What would you do if your friend was in danger? What would you give up in order to save them? Would you lay your life on the line?
I'd have to really know what was going on before I made the call. Is it just danger, where I'd need to go to extreme measures to make sure my friend was ok? I could do that. Is the danger less menacing than it seems? That is, would taking drastic action only endanger us further? In the end though, if I didn't know the circumstance, I would lay my life on the line to save a friend, a friend that I knew would do the same for me.

10. Given a choice between fame and money, which would you choose?
Money, hands down. Money is a huge worry of mine, and I'm always fearful of falling into debt. I'd also like to live a secure life when I'm older, not worrying about credit card bills and payments that are due and which bill doesn't get paid this month so we can pay the rent. Also I'm pretty fearful of fame. I think it's not as fun as it looks, and I can't stand the thought of people constantly trying to pry into my private life, or random people sitting at home criticizing me. I'm a pretty private person. Though the admiration of many is a tempting thought, I'd still take the money.

11 If you could only store one memory in the Pensieve to visit over again, which one would it be? Why?
This is a difficult question, because my memory is often spotty. I think I would have to pick a happy family moment, though nothing specifically jumps out at me. A really good day we all had together or a really good conversation when we were all just sitting around the table. Sorry I can't be more specific about the circumstance. But I think the reason I'd pick that is more important. Because I would always want a really stable memory to come back to, something to remind me that no matter what good things will happen in the world. With people who love me unconditionally. Something constant and unchanging, a rock to come back to in difficult times. Especially if I only get to have one.

12. What excites you the most in life? Where do you get the most joy and fulfillment?
Media is a big source of enjoyment for me. TV, Movies, Books and the Internet are all things that really catch my attention and that I enjoy being a part of. I'm a totally news junkie, I love being up to date on the latest news stories and what's going on in the world. I get a lot of fulfillment out of accomplishing anything, since it seems to take me forever to get anything done. Even something as simple as getting through a semester just seems like an accomplishment, something to put behind me and hang proudly on my wall of memories: Yay I did it!

13. If you were in Harry's position during the "Snape's Worst Memory" incident, how would you view Peter, James, Sirius, Lily, Remus, and Snape differently? Why?
If I were Harry, I think I would have viewed James and Sirius as closer to bullies than I had before. I'm not entirely sure I would think they were horrible people, because no one is innocent in this scene, not even Snape. They did cross a line most likely, but everyone was crossing lines at the time. I would have just thought Peter even more of a follower. He doesn't seem to be totally able to think for himself, and appears entirely too eager to please the people he admires at the moment. I would be slightly disappointed in Remus for not stepping in and trying to get a handle on the situation, especially since it was his place as a prefect. It would have also made me think that he felt he didn't have a lot of control over James and Sirius anyway, and that they kind of did what they wanted. For Lily I would have thought she had a pretty good head on her shoulders. I probably would have wondered how she and my father ever ended up getting together anyway. She handles the situation pretty calmly and evenly. As for Snape, I would probably feel a bit more sorry for him, but not entirely. Since he still finds time to sling around slurs during all of this. It would have explained current circumstances to me better - the hatred and the way Snape talks about my father, anyway.

14. Imagine you were an eleven-year-old Muggleborn witch/wizard who did not know about magic and had just received your Hogwarts letter. How would you react to leaving home and going to a magic school?
At 11 I probably would have been thrilled. I was the kind of kid that always secretly wish my "real parents" who were a King and Queen or Very Important would come whisk me away to a beautiful life. I think I would have really missed my parents, going away to a new school and not living with them, but I would have been ok. I would have written to them a lot. I would have immediately wanted to try out my new magic. The shopping for all the new items would have absolutely thrilled me. I'm sure when it came to the day to leave I would have been incredibly nervous about leaving, but I would have been ok once I was there.

15. If you had access to a time turner and there were no regulations regarding its usage, what would you use it for and why?
I think I'd go back and tell myself at 14 everything to do and not to do. I know that at 14 I probably would have listened to me-from-the-future, because I really wanted direction. Any younger and I probably would have blown myself off. Any older and I probably would have already made the mistakes I'd like to correct and be headed against the things I'd like to do differently. I know a lot of people say if you did anything differently, you wouldn't be where you are today, but I'm young enough that I wouldn't be taking that much back. And of course I'd try to guide my younger self into the circumstances that made the things I do love about my life now happen again.

16. In the Philosopher’s Stone (AKA Sorcerer’s Stone) Neville had a choice: he could let his friends go out at night when they weren’t supposed to and potentially they could lose points for his house, or he could confront them and stop them from breaking the rules. What would you have done in his situation?
Confront them. As I said, I am sometimes unintentionally confrontational (just asking comes off as sounding mean) but I'm a total stickler for rules. I believe that rules are in place for a reason and that the vast majority are not made to be broken but made for our own protection. That doesn't mean I don't believe that silly rules don't exist or that we shouldn't question rules sometimes.

17. Who (dead, alive, or fictional) do you most admire? This can be someone from real life or from Harry Potter.
My mother. I'm just so amazed at what she is able to do everyday. She (along with my father) have provided me with so much, she is a constant sounding board for my ideas and has never tried to hinder me. She's incredibly accepting of all sorts of people and situations, adapts easily and is just an all around wonderful person. If I could ever be half the person my mother is that would be plenty for me. She really is an amazing woman, putting up with me all these years.

18. What is your favorite book outside of Harry Potter? What is it about this book that endears it to you?
I hope this isn't cheating because I can't pick one book, just the author. Anything by Chuck Palahniuk. I adore his writing style, how you get caught up in the here-and-now demands of his narration. I adore his sudden twists and the way you're expecting something to happen but not expecting what happens. He tells a lot of bizarre tales which are always interesting. His books are incredibly well researched and full of the kinds of useless information my own head seems to be full of as well.

19. You're sitting the final examination for a class that has given you a lot of trouble. Your grade is borderline, you really need to do well on this final to get an A. You can see the paper of your friend who sits next to you and who happens to excel in this subject. You've gotten to a question that you're stuck on. Do you glance at your friend's paper to figure out the answer or not? Why?
I glance. It's an awful habit but one I'm stuck with. I just tend to look around during tests and see what everyone else has got, and usually compare. Sometimes if I'm stuck and I happen to notice the person next to me has an answer, I'll mark it down. It's just something I've done all of school that I still tend to do now and again.

20. In Goblet of Fire, Harry was chosen for the Tri-Wizard Tournament even with the age-line. Ron was unable to enter because of the age restriction even though he really wanted to be a part of the Tournament. Was Ron right to be jealous/angry at Harry? Were Harry's reactions appropriate? Why?
I think Ron did have a right, because it's a difficult situation to understand. As much as you want to trust your friend, given the circumstances it's hard to believe he didn't figure out a way to cheat. And since they'd both been talking about trying to figure out how to cheat, it seems only natural that he would be hurt that it seems Harry has found a way to cheat that he didn't share with him. Though I do wish Ron would have been more level-headed after thinking about the situation. It's certainly an understandable gut reaction, but he should have tried to reason things out after he calmed down. Harry's reaction was also justified. Again, as a gut reaction to the situation. I think Harry did calm down and in the end was only responding to Ron's continued reaction to what was going.

21. Which class would you look forward to the most at Hogwarts? Which classes do you/did you excel in most at school?
Potions is the class I'd most look forward to. The idea of adding things together to create something to aid or hinder you really interests me. I love to create things, putting different things together and seeing what happens. It's very technical too, and by the book which would really help me out a lot. English is my best subject in school - reading and writing, my favorite things - and it's also my major. I also do well in my sociology classes and adore the subject. I'm pretty good in languages, too, I pick them up easily. Especially the accents. If I'm around someone with an accent for a while, I'll pick it up.

22. What would be the first place you visit during a Hogsmeade weekend? Why?
Honeydukes, quickly! I love candy shops. I love seeing the different types of candy and, of course, tasting the different types of candy. I probably wouldn't spend a ton of money there as sweets hurt my teeth something awful. But the atmosphere would probably be enough for me.

23. In the wizarding world, all 5th year students are required to pick a career to focus on going into their 6th and 7th years at Hogwarts. What career path would you choose? Why?
Most likely teaching. While I don't really want to teach in the real world, I think teaching in the wizarding world would be a far different experience. I think teaching is something I'm naturally drawn to, though the students don't always make it something I want deal with. But the subjects at Hogwarts interest me, and I think I could adjust easily and enjoy myself.

24. In the Wizarding world, some pure-blood wizards consider Muggle-borns "filthy" and "horrible." In our world, people are categorized by their wealth, racial background, and appearance. What are your opinions on Muggle-borns? What are the qualities that you value in others?
Muggle-borns are absolutely fine by me. It takes all types to run a world, from the most common to the oddest to the most common-place and richest. Categorizations are a natural way for humans to react to things they don't know or understand (wizards too I'm sure) because categories make us feel safe. The danger comes when we fail to allow people to be mobile in these categories, cross categorize or assume ourselves to be superior to one category. Or let ourselves become sterotypers.

I value honesty in others. I'd rather not be skeptical about everything, but I am. So when honesty comes about it's a wonderful quality to have in a person. Open-mindedness as well. A willingness to be exposed to new thoughts or ideas. That doesn't mean a person has to conform to those new thoughts or ideas, but recognize them as valid views on life. And just all around being a nice person.

25. You have stumbled across five magical wells. One is the Well of Common Sense and Logic, the second is the Well of Creativity, the third is the Well of Optimism, the fourth is the Well of Physical Strength, and the fifth is the Well of Beauty. You can only drink from one well, but once you do you will be endowed with that ability for the rest of your life. Which well do you think you would definitely not need, and which do you think you would want to drink from?
Creativity. I feel like I have a good amount of common sense and knowledge already, and that those are areas I'm good at building up. Optimism doesn't particularly appeal to me (not that pessimism does, I'm more middle of the road). Physical strength would be nice but I'm not sure how useful it would be to me in the end. And beauty...is just not that important to me, though looking nice is. But I really wish I was more creative. I think I could come up with so many neat things and neat story ideas and just... really, really cool things if I had more creativity.

26. In Half-Blood Prince, we witnessed Harry force-feeding Dumbledore the potion that weakened him, even though it pained Harry to do so, because he promised Dumbledore he would do whatever he wished. If you were in Harry's position, would you have stopped feeding Dumbledore the potion, or would you have continued? Do you think it was right for Harry to do as Dumbledore wished? Explain.
I would have continued. More often than not, you have to trust the wisdom of your elders. Dumbledore has not failed Harry in the past nor led him astray, though at times he was mysterious or cryptic. Harry has no reason not to trust Dumbledore's wishes and hope that he knows what is best in the situation and for everyone involved. And it was right for Harry to continue. Not only for the reasons I would have continued, but for his own psyche. I'm not entirely sure disrespecting Dumbledore is something Harry was ready to deal with, especially if the effects had had dire consequences.

27. Anything else you want to tell us before we sort you? Also, please tell us where you heard about this community. (Members who refer new applicants receive points, so please try to be as specific as possible.) I like to sing in the shower. Quietly, in case someone hears me, and usually songs from musicals. I hope everyone gets some kind of vibe from my application. Also, I was referred here by mochibuni and caffeinatedjedi
Tags: ravenclaw
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 11 comments