Cass-Cass the Great (hkitsune) wrote in _belong,
Cass-Cass the Great
hkitsune
_belong

Scrubs, Big Fish, Pleasantville

1. Name: Cassandra; my best friend calls me Khasiv, though, and the name is exotic enough for it to be interesting.

2. Age: I turned eighteen last March.

3. Gender: Biologically female.

4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP? How do you feel these hobbies/interests contribute to your personality? I do a lot of theatre (specifically technical work; I'm a behind-the-scenes kind of girl), drawing (since I can remember; it used to be anime/manga stuff, but I've since graduated to a more American style), learning languages (I really want to work in Latvia when I get older, so I can revive Livonian with its 35 native speakers), and philosophy tag. Okay, explanation time: philosophy tag is just like regular tag, except when you're "it" and you tag someone, they ask you a question (like "Who wrote The Republic"); if you get it wrong (say you answered Socrates), then you're still it and you have to tag someone again. It's REALLY fun. I also write all the time and I enjoy riding my bicycle when it's coolish outside because the sunsets in the middle of nowhere are amazing.

5. Which Harry Potter character do you feel you can relate to the most? Explain. Which character is your favorite? Again, explain. My first choice is to say Hermione because I identify with the frizzy hair, love of Eastern Europeans and penchant for taking too many classes, but I relate a lot with Neville, mostly because I'm a huge klutz; I've dropped more glass stuff and stepped on more peoples’ feet (literally and figuratively) than I can count. I also love plants (I'm a semi-vegetarian now) and while I can’t relate because my parents haven’t been mentally scarred, I did have a really controlling grandmother who has made me afraid of some of the smallest things in life. (You've never lived until your grandmother forces you to write with the wrong finger on the right hand.)
My favorite character is, haha, Tom Riddle. I loved his character when I first read about him, loved him even more when he killed his parents. There's some special place in my heart for characters who get what they want, especially the bad guys when they get revenge. He also sounds extremely attractive, and even though he's not especially well-written there is a lot of potential for explanation in the next book (hopefully).

6. Give us the reasons for and against you being sorted into each of the houses.
a. Gryffindor
For: I have a really good sense of integrity. I've gotten into some rough spots with some of my friends because I follow the rules and break different ones. I believe in doing the right thing, even if it requires being a situationalist, and I also look smashing in maroon. It's a flexible house; you can have students like Ron, Hermione and Neville in it and even though they have completely different personalities and preferences they work well together. I like to think I can get along well with everybody.
Against. I'm not especially strong-willed, and I tend to be very wishy-washy with my emotions. I lack real conviction sometimes, because I like to fabricate ridiculous metaphors to explain my situation and, in doing so, I lose the meaning of my actions and words. I also don’t like that Gryffindor always seems to be the center of attention (such is usually the case when the books‘ main character is in that house), whether or not they ask for it.

b. Hufflepuff
For: I am extremely outgoing; I can get along with almost anyone I meet, and I don’t fight people anymore. I tend to work for myself; I have big dreams and I'm not afraid to pursue them. I like surrounding myself with people who, so far as I can tell, are warm, welcoming and understanding. From what I've read, Hufflepuffs are less likely to judge entirely based on first impressions, and it's important to me that people don’t dismiss me just because I look "eccentric."
Against: I'm not very hard-working; I rely a lot on my "natural talent." That’s not to say I have a lot of natural talent, but I see no need to exhaust myself. It also seems to me that Hufflepuffs don’t get a lot of recognition, even though they make up 1/4 of the population at Hogwarts. They always seem to come in last place, and this house also has very little recorded history.

c. Ravenclaw
For: I am a huge nerd; I read all the time and study on my summer breaks, value knowledge more than friendship in many occasions, and love analyzing everything. I can find allusions in almost everything, and I love word games. Name a school subject, and I probably like it (except for P.E.) I identify with many of the students that are described in the book, but:
Against: Ravenclaw has a horrible superiority problem. From what I’ve read, they come across as extremely introverted and reclusive. While they might excel academically, their social patterns seem, for the most part, inbred. Rarely is it said that a Ravenclaw was hanging out with a Gryffindor, while the other two houses seem to socialize much more (with the exception of Slytherin). I wouldn't want to feel isolated.

d. Slytherin
For: The house is very confident; they are extremely competitive and I, being an extremely ambitious (and I know that is a blanket statement for Slytherins) person, and having been motivated from an early age by my parents to succeed in everything I loved, I relate to the characters. I also love the history associated with this house and I think dark magic is pretty cool (you know, as long as it’s not the Necronomicon) and I have always sympathized with this house, because even though they are very good at what they do, they don’t seem to win very consistently.
Against: I would really rather not be associated with Death Eaters, so I would have to somehow redeem the house's darker side by using my goals for the greater good, and frankly I’m just too lazy to do that for Slytherin. The house also seems to not believe in the powers of muggles and muggle-borns, something I don't agree with.

7. What was your least favorite moment in HP? I was kind of sad when Harry killed the basilisk. I love snakes, even evil ones. (I had a pet corn snake once, and she died after she laid about 15 eggs. It was a very sad summer for me.)

8. What about HP appeals to you (e.g. the romance, the adventure, the friendships, the fantasy, the mystery)? I really like how Rowling goes back to the past; it's really intriguing to me to see how Tom Riddle developed into Voldemort, how Dumbledore has remained somewhat of a stable character, and the evolution of various characters (especially Lupin, Sirius and Pettigrew). I adore Rowling's characterization and the way she builds up the plot, how it's simple writing and yet I am absorbed. (So, in short, the writing and the social evolution of the books.)

9. What would you do if your friend was in danger? What would you give up in order to save them? Would you lay your life on the line? I would probably freak out, first off. I deal really poorly with stuff like that, because I've been friends with kids who have made some very bad personal choices; I am usually hesitant to help people who will not later appreciate what I will do for them (and there were "friends" who did that, unfortunately). However, if this were, say, a person who knew me very, very well, I would most certainly go through hell and high water to get them out of that situation. If I really loved that friend, I would definitely lay my life on the line. For example, if my friend couldn't swim very well and (to be honest) I couldn't swim much better, I would rather see them alive on the shore than their dead body on the shore from me not taking action. There is no greater guilt than the guilt of the betrayal of a friend.

10. Given a choice between fame and money, which would you choose? Fame, mostly because I don't care if I'm poor. I was poor once, and it was nicer than it is now, when my parents fight about the allocation of money we have as opposed to fighting about the money we don't have. Having money might buy comfortable things, but there are experiences that one can gain from fame (like appreciation for privacy, intimacy, silence, etc.) that one cannot gain through money alone (though, in some ways, privacy, intimacy and silence can be bought [a la mob boss], it is impossible to gain appreciation for those things only through spending rather large wads of dough).

11. If you could only store one memory in the Pensieve to visit over again, which one would it be? Why? When I was four, I spent a month and a half with my paternal grandmother. We went to British Columbia, which was only about fifty miles north of her house in Washington, and we picked baskets upon baskets of strawberries. We wore these cute little hand-made dresses with strawberries on them, and I remember being so proud of my labors. When we went back to her house, my little sister and I ate them with crème, and it was amazing. It was the last time I ever ate a whole strawberry. I'd go back to that field, because I associate fields and flowers and fruits with happiness, with warmth and love and my little sister's smile.

12. What excites you the most in life? Where do you get the most joy and fulfillment? I can see beauty in everything. I love air, sunlight, moonlight, starlight, dust, rain, mud, forests, deserts, animals, everything. The most fulfilling thing I have in my life is the ten or so minutes I have all to myself to think about my day, to remember what keeps me sane (the good things like color, conversation and movement; I also love to dance and sing, even though I'm not especially good at either).

13. If you were in Harry's position during the "Snape's Worst Memory" incident, how would you view Peter, James, Sirius, Lily, Remus, and Snape differently? Why? I would probably feel betrayed by my own memory; all my preconceptions about my parents and their friends would be completely shattered, and, like Harry, I would probably start to sympathize more with Snape. At the same time, I'd probably deny the truth of those events and still idealize my closest relatives, friends and enemies.

14. Imagine you were an eleven-year-old Muggleborn witch/wizard who did not know about magic and had just received your Hogwarts letter. How would you react to leaving home and going to a magic school? "No way. I applied to [x private school that is extremely prestigious], not this...Hogwarts. That sounds disgusting. But this letter says that it's the best wizarding school in the country, and I suppose I've always wanted to do magic…” I think the transition would be horrifying. I would feel out of place with people who did not share my background at first, and I would have to start all over. The scariest part would be leaving my family, because at eleven years old, I wouldn't know anything but my family and the kids I went to school with. The good thing is, I'm really good at changing locations (I've been at 13 schools since I started), and I make friends easily, so I imagine I would've had my own group within a couple weeks, though I might be a bit further behind in my magical "skillz."

15. If you had access to a time turner and there were no regulations regarding its usage, what would you use it for and why? I would go back in time so I would always have enough time to do my homework. I'm a horrible procrastinator and I like playing on the computer too much to do my homework often. And when it's not that, I've got too many obligations and I tend to stretch myself thin, so if I could, I'd use it to sleep later without actually sleeping IN.

16. In the Philosopher's Stone (AKA Sorcerer’s Stone) Neville had a choice: he could let his friends go out at night when they weren't supposed to and potentially they could lose points for his house, or he could confront them and stop them from breaking the rules. What would you have done in his situation? I like to let people mess up their own lives; too much interference on my behalf has messed up friendships and the like. In Neville's situation I think I would have, however, told them to stop. With his level of knowledge of the situation, I can't see why he wouldn't try to stop them, especially considering he only had the best of intentions (house pride and desire to keep his friends safe). I likely would have done the same thing, because while I like letting other people break the rules, if the rules are rules I respect, then I definitely expect the same from my friends.

17. Who (dead, alive, or fictional) do you most admire? This can be someone from real life or from Harry Potter. I love Guildenstern, from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead (Stoppard), mostly because he makes SO MUCH SENSE. Everything in that play is brilliantly written, and Guildenstern captures a lot of life's quarks perfectly in his dialogue. I would love to live like that, where everything I said made perfect sense to me.

18. What is your favorite book outside of Harry Potter? What is it about this book that endears it to you? The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut. Hands down. It's a brilliant book, and I love how Vonnegut captures satire and seriousness all in one breath. I also love the ending, when Salo dismantles himself because he has "upset" his friend and the pro/antagonist (it's complicated) reassembles him, allowing him to carry on with his extremely important (and time-consuming) duty of delivering a very important message to the other side of the universe. (My best friend introduced me to Vonnegut and I've never stopped thanking her for it.)

19. You're sitting the final examination for a class that has given you a lot of trouble. Your grade is borderline, you really need to do well on this final to get an A. You can see the paper of your friend who sits next to you and who happens to excel in this subject. You've gotten to a question that you're stuck on. Do you glance at your friend's paper to figure out the answer or not? Why? I've never cheated on a test before in my life. Sure, I've copied papers and stuff (and used them to check my answers), but I do not cheat on tests. That is one of several educational morals I have forced myself to follow, despite the temptation. Plus, I sit around kids who don't do as well grade-wise anyway because they're so much funnier. That also helps keep my temptations to cheat down, because I know that I can do it without using my neighbors' papers.

20. In Goblet of Fire, Harry was chosen for the Tri-Wizard Tournament even with the age-line. Ron was unable to enter because of the age restriction even though he really wanted to be a part of the Tournament. Was Ron right to be jealous/angry at Harry? Were Harry's reactions appropriate? Why? Ron was only being human in being jealous of Harry; however, I think he should have realized that it was a complete and total accident (well, kind of) that Harry was chosen. Harry should not have treated Ron as badly as he did; after all, if you don't have your friends to support you in times like those, who do you have?

21. Which class would you look forward to the most at Hogwarts? Which classes do you/did you excel in most at school? Charms. I think it is mostly because I like the word, and partly because I like the idea of casting illusory and awesome physical change spells, as opposed to changing the things' compositions. I did really well in everything, reality-wise. My favorite classes were foreign languages (I took French and German, but my real love is much more obscure) and mathematics (Calculus, specifically, rocked my world) and, to an extent, all sciences.

22. What would be the first place you visit during a Hogsmeade weekend? Why? I would go to the candy shop. I haven't had anything remotely satisfying for my sweet tooth in ages. (Fizzing whizbees? Yes, please.)

23. In the wizarding world, all 5th year students are required to pick a career to focus on going into their 6th and 7th years at Hogwarts. What career path would you choose? Why? International wizarding relations. I think it would be really cool to be a go-between for some of the larger schools overseas (I’m sure there’s a wizarding school in Brazil or Russia or something!) and helping to coordinate things like the Tri-Wizard tournament, and especially in the more trying times the books are describing, helping to write propaganda-type stuff to rally wizards internationally against Voldemort.

24. In the Wizarding world, some pure-blood wizards consider Muggle-borns "filthy" and "horrible." In our world, people are categorized by their wealth, racial background, and appearance. What are your opinions on Muggle-borns? What are the qualities that you value in others? Muggle-borns are fine by me. I have respect for anyone who shows drive, no matter their background. I value integrity, honesty, intelligence, ambition, talent and kindness. Anyone who treats me well will be treated well, and those who treat me poorly will not be treated at all, haha.

25. You have stumbled across five magical wells. One is the Well of Common Sense and Logic, the second is the Well of Creativity, the third is the Well of Optimism, the fourth is the Well of Physical Strength, and the fifth is the Well of Beauty. You can only drink from one well, but once you do you will be endowed with that ability for the rest of your life. Which well do you think you would definitely not need, and which do you think you would want to drink from? I do not want to drink from the Well of Physical Strength. I’ve accepted that I will be a weakling, and if I do need to become stronger, I can always train myself. I'm torn between Optimism and Creativity, because often my creativity is fueled by optimism, and vice versa. They are complimentary traits. I think I would probably benefit more from the Well of Optimism (as a pessimist will shoot down, as I have watched myself do, even the best ideas).

26. In Half-Blood Prince, we witnessed Harry force-feeding Dumbledore the potion that weakened him, even though it pained Harry to do so, because he promised Dumbledore he would do whatever he wished. If you were in Harry's position, would you have stopped feeding Dumbledore the potion, or would you have continued? Do you think it was right for Harry to do as Dumbledore wished? Explain. I am a huge weenie when it comes to stuff like that. But, considering how much more Dumbledore knew about everything EVER, and how everything he says tends to work out for the best, I think I would have listened to him. I have immense respect for my teachers, and I tend to trust them in almost every circumstance; Harry was right to act like as he did because Dumbledore knew better, because the two of them would’ve both been dead immediately had he not fed Dumbledore the poison.

27. Anything else you want to tell us before we sort you? Also, please tell us where you heard about this community. (Members who refer new applicants receive points, so please try to be as specific as possible.) I like to sing in the shower. AND I am basically awesome, a super-cool kid with big dreams and a not-so-big wallet. I believe in others and I believe in myself, and I think this community rocks so--uh--sort away! I heard about this community from suthnoli and mellow_cellist at 2_lines.
Tags: ravenclaw
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 22 comments