sciencegeek (sciencegeek) wrote in _belong,
sciencegeek
sciencegeek
_belong

Star Wars

Name: Lauren

1. You’re walking through Diagon Alley, and a tall man, wearing very expensive-looking robes, drops a small pouch of Galleons on the ground in front of you. He doesn’t seem to notice that he’s dropped the pouch, and it couldn’t be more than enough Galleons to get a few drinks at The Leaky Cauldron. What do you do? Why?

Assuming I'm in the financial situation I'm in right now, I'd return it if at all possible, as I don't need the money, and if I had been the one that dropped it, I would like to have it returned. If I just kept it, and didn't need it, I'd feel guilty. Besides, the worst that'll happen is that he takes it and I don't have money that wasn't mine in the first place. If I couldn't catch him, for whatever reason, I'd either treat friends to drinks, or give it to someone less fortunate than I am.

2. In his prime, Dumbledore was a very powerful wizard and a wonderful Headmaster. Do you think that the new Headmistress, Professor McGonagall, will make a good replacement? Why or why not? In Dumbledore's position, who would you have chosen for your Deputy Headship? Why?

Obviously, no one can replace Dumbledore, but I think she will make a good Headmistress, and would have been my choice if I had to choose a Deputy. She demands respect from her students, and one can assume she demands those of her colleagues as well. She's fair and doesn't unduly reward or punish based on house, and I think that not being biased is important for anyone in a leadership position. She's strict and doesn't condone rule breaking - again, a quality that I think will serve her well as headmistress, but also has a softer side that, while not shown often, makes her approachable. Also, she's intelligent and clever, which are qualities I think are important in a leadership role. I think that, in the beginning there will be some rough patches as she learns more about her role, but I think that over the years she will improve and be wonderful as Headmistress.

3. The Marauders (James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter) clearly had some excellent magical talents (being unregistered Animagi, creating the Marauder’s Map, etc.). Which of the four Marauders do you feel was the most successful in life? Why?

For me, it's a toss up between Peter and James. While Sirus and Remus both overcame major obstacles, and I admire them for it, I am unsure if they accomplished all they wanted in their life and I think the accomplishments of Peter and James overshadow those of Remus and Sirus.

James, because the romantic in me sees the fact that he found the love of his life, married her and had a child as a success. Yes, he died young, but he also had a wife and child that he was willing to die for, and, really, when you have the happiness of knowing you started a family with the person you love more than life itself, what more can you ask for?

Peter, because, again he has what he wants. In school, it appears he aligned himself with more powerful and popular wizards, befriended them and was protected from those that would otherwise tease or bully him, and he has that again in Voldemort. It appears that Peter's main goal in life is to survive and he's willing to do whatever it takes to survive, and thus far, he's achieved that. If this is indeed is goal, he's achieving it.

4. Do you feel that Harry was right in using the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book for potions class (Do not take the spells into account in this question.)? Was Hermione right in telling him not to? What would you have done in Harry’s position? Why? What would you have done in Hermione’s position? Why?

I didn't have a problem with it. I've come across many texts with notes in margins (and have written them myself, albeit in texts I've purchased), and have used them in understanding the material if I find them to be of assistance and, more importantly, correct. The tips left by the Half-Blood Prince were valuable, and I know I'd use them if I had the book. From my understanding, exams at Hogwarts are not open book, and as such Harry would still have to study and prepare himself for them, and would not be able to rely on the text anyway, so he still has to learn the material. I'm not sure Hermione has more innate talent when it comes to potions, but rather, she's willing to study texts, outside of the mandatory potion's textbook, to aid her in brewing. Harry's doing a similar thing, in my opinion, by using the notes of the Half-Blood Prince.

Hermione, in my opinion, was a bit jealous. She was able to achieve good grades under Snape's tutelage and Harry barely scrapped by, and now that she's not top of the class, she's upset. Harry wasn't cheating; he wasn't taking someone else's potion and claiming it to be his own. Using a resource is not cheating. If I were Hermione, I'd probably ask to see the book, and try to learn the 'why' behind the actions, rather than blindly following, and copy them in my own book.

5. Would you have used the random spells written in the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book (You can't just say you know or could look up the Latin. Imagine that the spells were created in a language you'd never heard of.)? Why or why not?

While I'd use the potion tips, I'd probably not use the spells, at least not immediately. I think my curiosity would get the better of me at some point but, unlike Harry, I'd try to do as much research as possible to see if I could find out anything, either on the language base, or spells that seem similar. Failing that, I most definitely wouldn't chose a human target first, if indeed I want to know what they do, as it would be irresponsible, and potentially dangerous.

6. Every day we make many choices. Are you comfortable with the choices you make (large or small), or are you more indecisive? Explain.

I'm comfortable in the choices I make, when I make them. If it's a 'big decision' I tend to do as much research as I can, so I can make an informed choice and be confidant in it, rather than fly by the seat of my pants, and hope things turn out ok. While hindsight is 20/20 and all that, I try not to dwell on choices I've made, since most times these choices can't be alterable.

7. Hermione created S.P.E.W. even though the other students disagreed with her ideas. Are you able to stand up for what you believe in, even if others mock you for your beliefs? Have your opinions (or outspokenness) gotten you into trouble? Explain.

It depends on the subject, in a way. For example, if I'm in a room of cricket fanatics, I'm probably not going to say "Cricket is crap, and here's why", (not that I have anything against cricket, it's merely and example). If it's something I feel passionately about, and I have the knowledge to back up my statements, and I'm comfortable saying it, of course I'll speak up. To my knowledge, I've never been in trouble for it. I may have upset some people, but when I end up debating subjects they've never degenerated into name calling contests or physical fights, nor have I lost friends because of my opinion. So long as people respect my opinion as I respect theirs I have no problems.

8. Are there any N.E.W.T. level courses at Hogwarts that you feel should be mandatory, regardless of a student’s chosen career path? Why or why not?

Defence Against the Dark Arts, Muggle Studies. Defence Against the Dark Arts because it's like the Survival Guide for Wizards, in that it prepares you for situations that one hopes they won't have, but if they do they can come out alive, and I don't think that would be possible unless one completes their NEWT. Given the current situation in the books, I think that having a NEWT in Defence would be incredibly important.

Muggle Studies because I think part of the elitism that some wizards believe in stems from not knowing the Muggle culture. While most wizards have minimal contact with Muggles, I still feel it's necessary to understand the culture, if for no other reason, so that they don't stand out if they need to venture into a Muggle area.

I find most of the courses at Hogwarts important, but, as of yet I'm not sure if having a NEWT in some of them is important to everyday wizarding life. Useful, yes, but not imperative.

9. If you were going to teach at Hogwarts, what course would you teach? Describe it for us (This does not have to be a class that currently exists; feel free to use your imagination.).

I'd love to teach potions, and I think that is because of my heavy science background. Ideally I'd be able to divide the class time equally between theory (why certain compounds when mixed together result in certain solutions) and practical knowledge. Knowing how to make a potion is one thing, knowing why it works the way it does, is another, and I think I'd stress the latter. Understanding behind the actions is key to knowing the material, rather than regurgitating everything one knows about it on a test.

10. What class do you think you’d excel in at Hogwarts (take into account the teacher and their grading policies, class work, what you’re good at now, etc.)? Why?

Since Snape is well, gone now, I'd say Potions. While I think that Slughorn may annoy me on occasion, I think my interest in the area will definitely be an asset, and help me to the top of that class. I am a bit of a perfectionist in some areas of interest, and with cuttings and measurements needing to be accurate in Potions; I think that this quality would help in this class as well.

Transfiguration would also be a class that I think I would do well in, again because of interest. I tend to do well in classes I'm interested in because I'm willing to put in the effort, and extra time for practice and research to do well.

11. What would your schedule look like at Hogwarts? Would you take all the classes you possibly could? Would you take the bare minimum? Explain.

I'd take as many as I could without overloading myself. Needing a time-turner for class would be overload, to me. If I took the bare minimum, I'd probably have good marks, but I wouldn't be challenging myself, and would probably get bored, and if I took too many I'd be stressed all the time - a situation I try to avoid. Given the strict guidelines of using a time turner, I'd also be afraid of mucking something up, so it would probably be best if I didn't have one. Besides, I doubt I'd be able to keep having a time-turner a secret from my friends and that could be trouble.

12. Professor Trelawney tells you that the thing you are dreading will happen on the 23rd. What is the thing you are dreading? How does this affect you? Explain.

I'm not sure. If she didn't tell me, would I still dread it? I doubt it. I think that knowing that something that 'I'm dreading' is going to occur would affect my actions, subconsciously. I'd probably be a lot more nervous, and worrying, even though I'd be trying to be calm, and not worry about it. Given my current 'dreads' I doubt it would be something major, rather it would be getting a test back that I wasn't totally prepared for, or writing a pop-quiz I'm not ready for, so I doubt it would be something major.

13. If you found out that your best friend was going to meet some other friends and do things you didn't quite approve of, how would you handle the situation? What if they invited you to come along? Explain.

While I'd probably not tell anyone with power, unless it's something really awful, I'd probably confront my friend about my apprehensions with what s/he's about to do. I trust my current friends not to do anything too ridiculous, so if it's just going to a not-so-sanctioned party to get smashed, I'd remind them of the risks, or just give them a Look, and that's it. If I'm invited along, well, it would depend on my mood, and how much work needs to get done. If I have loads of things to do, then I'd pass, but if I were free, than I'd probably go for a bit, but if something happened there that I didn't approve of, I'd probably tell my friend I was leaving and why, because I believe they would understand.

14. Would you rather have wealth or fame (You can't have both)? Why? What would you do with the money/fame?

Wealth. Because not all wealthy people are famous and scrutinised by the public, and while fame can help with raising money for a cause, etc. it also makes keeping a private life difficult, and that I would not like, as I am a private person, and a bit of an introvert. With wealth, I'd donate loads and I hope to causes that are perhaps under funded and to disease that I may not be in contact with, since I live in a 1st world country, but that afflicts thousands that are not as lucky as I am.

I'd also spend loads on myself, family and friends, since I'd feel a bit weird being wealthy and not sharing it. I'd probably take a couple years off of formal schooling to travel, and educate myself in areas I haven't had the chance to, yet.

After schooling, I'd be tempted to start a research firm, since I'd have the means to do so, and be able to do work that is self-directed, rather that dictated to me.

15. For each house, give an argument for both why you should be sorted into that House and why you should not be sorted into that House, regardless of your actual opinions of the Houses. Basically, explain what traits you have of each House, and which traits you don't have of each House. Do not just give an explanation of what each House is and isn't.
a. Hufflepuff
For: According to her Wizard card, Helga Hufflepuff "...brought people from different walks of life together to help build Hogwarts..." While I'm not necessarily one to lead and bring people together, I'm accepting and open to different people - I think this might be shown through my stance on equality. From the Sorting Hat song(s), Hufflepuffs are described as loyal and 'unafraid to toil', traits which, I believe, I also possess. Loyalty to friends and family is important to me, they are the people that back me up no matter what, and there is little that I wouldn't do for them. Unafraid to toil in that once I set my mind to doing something, I'll finish it - it may take a while (like this app.) but it will get finished and to a standard I'm proud of.

Against: The Sorting Hat describes Hufflepuffs as "Those patient Hufflepuffs..."
I'm not terribly patient, and tend to get annoyed, and impatient if something doesn't happen as quickly as I want it to, or how I want it to. I wouldn't necessarily say I flit from subject to subject, but I tend to take breaks from subjects and come back to them later, so not to get burnt out.

b. Slytherin
For: I have ambition. When I want to do something, there is very little that would stop me from doing it. I'll use all resources I feel comfortable using to get what I want. Slytherins also seem proud of their roots and who they are, which I think, describes me as well. I'm confident in the person I have become, and while this may not have described me when I was younger, it does now. I see the Slytherins as those that weigh their options before proceeding forward and I find that I tend to do that as well when it comes to 'big' decisions.

Against: I would not use "...any means to achieve [my] ends" - I have limits. I wouldn't use people for the sole reason to get ahead, nor do anything that's not within the realms of legality. And, while I'm proud of who I am, and where I came from, bloodlines are not that important, in that one's worth shouldn't be judged on them. Yes, I believe that people should be proud of where they came from, but not so much that they feel that their bloodlines somehow make them superior to others.

c. Gryffindor
For: Gryffindors tend to be portrayed as honourable, and brave. I think that, while not brave in a conventional sense, I am willing to speak my mind on subjects, which takes bravery. I've gone through a lot, and have had setbacks, but instead of backing down, I went forward which takes a type of bravery, in my opinion. I suppose I'm honourable in that if I give my word on something, I follow through, baring some sort of catastrophe.

Against: I wouldn't say I'm chivalrous - polite, but not chivalrous. I'm not brave in that I take a lot of risk taking and tend not to be rash, since I tend to think things through before doing anything. I'm not terribly daring - I'm fairly methodical, and am not a consummate risk taker.

d. Ravenclaw
For: I have a passion for learning, the marks and B.Sc. to affirm that. For me, there's nothing like learning about something you love, or having things 'click' in your brain - it's the biggest rush I've ever had, better than any drug. While I love being with friends, I'll just as likely go out with them as read up on something, or watch a documentary.

Against: If I'm not interested in something, it's difficult for me to learn. I see the Ravenclaws as being indiscriminate with what they learn, and that's not a trait I possess. In times of pressure, I doubt my intelligence, something I'm not sure Ravenclaws do.

16. If you were participating in the TriWizard Tournament, who would be the one you’d miss most (the person that you'd have to rescue in the second task - for Harry, it was Ron)? Why are they so special to you? Explain.

Again a toss up because there are a lot of people it could be. I think it would be my grandmother or one of my close friends. My grandmother because even though she's, well, old, we talk about everything, and I can talk to about anything with her. Also, she's one of my few ties left to my heritage from my mother's side, and until recently, I haven't been interested much in it, but now that I am, I want to be able to talk to someone about it, and learn about it from a person, and not from a book.

One of my friends (who is going to remain nameless) because she's like a sister to me. We can talk about anything, and are like sisters, but without the fighting over clothes. We are interested in similar things, and while we don't necessarily have the same views on things, we are able to talk and debate subjects without upsetting each other. It's nice to have someone that I can talk with about anything, be it something superficial, or something deep.

17. Why do you get up in the morning? What is your purpose in life? What is your passion? What makes you who you are? Explain.

I suppose my big purpose in life is to be happy with what I have, and not regret what I do. Which sounds simple enough, I suppose, but on occasion it's difficult. I don't mean that I want to be perpetually happy, but that I am able to enjoy my life with what I have and not be driven by wanting more.

Music, reading, sports and science, are my major passions. Perhaps a strange combination of passions but they are the things I love. The first three I haven't been able to spend much time on, because of my education in the latter. I'm not complaining, mind you because I love what I'm learning, but I wish I had more time for them.

My past makes me who I am. My experiences, my choices, my interests all played a role in developing who I am today. Without a lot of these experiences and choices, I wouldn't be who I am today.

18. Is there anything in your life that you just can’t live without? Would that answer be different in the Wizarding world? Explain.

There are SO many things. The internet (and my computer), books, family/friends, and music would be the main ones. And I know the first makes me a dork, but in today's world so much communication is done electronically, that it is difficult to live without a computer and the internet. Books because I love to read - it was probably my first passion. I love to get lost in stories and imagine things, and I'd hate to give it up. Family and friends because even if we do fight, they're the ones that will stand by me no matter what I do, and that can't be replaced. Music because it's the universal language. There's so much that can be said in a melody that, even if you don't speak the language it's sung in, or even if there are no words, an emotion can be evoked and I find that unreal, and the best part is, your interpretation isn't wrong! It can mean what you want it to, and it can lift you up when you're upset, or can get you pumped up for the next sports game. There's a song (or many) for every occasion, and to not know it...that would kinda suck.

In the Wizarding World, the list would be similar, just add wand. Given that most magic stems from using a wand, not having one would make things difficult. Granted a Muggle born would know how to do things without a wand, but if I were stranded on a desert island, or in trouble, having a wand would be practical, as it would give one a means to escape, or defend oneself. If I lived primarily in the wizarding world, I suppose that having an owl would make having a computer and the internet unnecessary, since I would use the owl for communication.

19. If you had to change one (and only one) thing about yourself (personality, not physical), what would it be? Why? Would you change more things if you could?

I'd like to have less of a temper. While I may not express it all the time, I get annoyed pretty quickly, and I tend to bottle it up, until I snap at someone, which is never good. I cool off fairly quickly, provided that what caused my temper to flair is no longer around, but getting annoyed and losing my temper (even if it doesn't result in a spectacular verbal explosion), is something that I wish did not occur quite as often as it does right now.

Right now, I can't think of anything else that I would change - overall I like who I am, and my assets and flaws make me who I am.

20. If you could go back and tell your eleven year-old self one message, what would it be? Why?

I don't really remember much about being 11 to be honest. I don't think I'd send a message to myself though. What I was like, what I learned and my experiences when I was 11 and since then shaped who I am today, and like I said before, overall, I like who I am, and saying something to myself in the past may change the events that make me who I am today, and I don't really want to change that.

21. What do you think are the biggest problems with the wizarding world today? Why?

The discrimination of half-breeds, and the ignorance of muggles, which in some ways are similar. People have emotions whether they are muggle, giant or werewolf or some mix in between. I'm big on equality and as such, prejudice, and discrimination are two of my biggest pet peeves. The ignorance of all things Muggle I find appalling. By not knowing the other culture it breeds fear. Yes, the Burning Times happened, and they were tragic and horrible, but that being said, I think it might be time to move past that event, and while I think Hagrid had it right when he said that if Muggles knew that there was magic they would ask wizards to fix all their problems, I think that education and interaction that doesn't reveal being magical would help in this area.

22. If you were walking through the Forbidden Forest with a friend and found yourself surrounded by centaurs with their bows drawn, what would you do? Explain.

Besides nearly soiling myself? Try to explain why I am there and attempt to talk my way out of it. Given their love for astronomy, I'd try to use my knowledge in that subject to gain enough trust for them to let us go. I'd also treat and talk to the centaurs as their intelligence demands, and not as something below me. I think that a establishing a mutual respect between the parties involved would aid in escaping unscathed.

23. What are you most looking forward to about joining this community?

Chatting about Harry Potter with other people, I suppose. I'm interested in the challenges as well, since I like competitions, so that's definitely something I'm looking forward to. I'm not entirely sure how to fit my favourite book in here, though I'd have to say either "Prisoner of Azkaban" or "Goblet of Fire".

24. What did you like about this application? What did you dislike about this application?

While long (it's taken me a while to finish it), I like that it asks a variety of questions so that a personality can be gleaned and that the applicant can be sorted in the house that best suits them.

25. How did you come across this community? If it was an ad from a current member, please state their livejournal name. (That person will receive House Points for your efforts, so please try to remember.)

ambivertemmers and melisus. Emmers promoted it first, so if someone has to get points, I suppose it would be her (sorry, Melisus!).

26. Anything else you'd like to add?
I can't think of anything at the moment. There is no question 27, so I'll put it here - I may (or may not) enjoy singing in the shower.
Tags: ravenclaw
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 31 comments
Previous
← Ctrl ← Alt
Next
Ctrl → Alt →
Previous
← Ctrl ← Alt
Next
Ctrl → Alt →