CONSISTENTLY INCONSISTENT. (pur) wrote in _belong,
CONSISTENTLY INCONSISTENT.
pur
_belong

macaroni & cheese.

Name: Jacy

1. You're walking through Diagon Alley, and a tall man, wearing very expensive-looking robes, drops a small pouch of Galleons on the ground in front of you. He doesn’t seem to notice that he’s dropped the pouch, and it couldn’t be more than enough Galleons to get a few drinks at The Leaky Cauldron. What do you do? Why?

I would definitely pick up the pouch and yell after the man so that I could get his attention and give his money back. If for some odd reason I couldn't get his attention, I suppose I would keep the pouch, knowing that there's no way to return it to its rightful owner in the first place. I would prefer to put the money in some sort of a lost and found, or turn it in to the police, but it's hard to be certain that the money will then be returned to its rightful owner.
It's certainly not fair to look at what the man is wearing and think that you should keep the money because he won't miss it or won't notice it's gone. Just because someone is dressed nicely doesn't automatically mean that they have lots of money to spare. I have tons of really nice clothes, but I just graduated from college, and I'm pretty much broke. So if I dropped a bag of galleons and someone judged what I was wearing and decided that I wouldn’t miss the money, I'd definitely be upset.

2. In his prime, Dumbledore was a very powerful wizard and a wonderful Headmaster. Do you think that the new Headmistress, Professor McGonagall, will make a good replacement? Why or why not? In Dumbledore's position, who would you have chosen for your Deputy Headship? Why?

I think that Professor McGonagall is the only suitable replacement that I can think of. She's been at Hogwarts for many years, and has served faithfully for Dumbledore throughout his reign. I feel that if Dumbledore himself could have chosen his successor, he would have chosen Professor McGonagall. She seems to be the most trusted and looked up to among the other professors, as well as the students. She shares some of the beliefs that Dumbledore does, and he did a magnificent job running Hogwarts for all those years.
I believe she'll be able to keep the students on their feet. She also seems to relate to them from time to time, and genuinely understand what they're going through as students. At the same time, I believe it would be hard for her to be headmistress, because she might want to show a small amount of favor to her Gryffindors because she was always in charge of them and wants to see them succeed. And she certainly wants them to win in Quidditch! Overall, I think she'd be a fine replacement. Strict but fair, and I can't help but respect that.

3. The Marauders (James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter) clearly had some excellent magical talents (being unregistered Animagi, creating the Marauder’s Map, etc.). Which of the four Marauders do you feel was the most successful in life? Why?

I believe Remus is the most successful. Being attacked by a werewolf at such a young age and being ostracized from society is an extremely difficult thing to have to deal with, and I think that he has done well with it. Most of us would have a much harder time adapting to his lifestyle, but he makes it seem almost easy. Being a werewolf is a terrible "condition" that I wouldn't wish on anyone, but Remus carries it well.
I think Remus is incredibly brave in that he was able to go into a community of werewolves that no one knew about so that he could try to learn about what Voldemort was up to. That was very dangerous, but he was not harmed, and I think that's very respectful. Although he had a difficult time growing up, and faces having to turn into a werewolf at each full moon, he tries his hardest to be a good person. He is an amazing teacher and a good friend to Sirius as well as the kids.

4. Do you feel that Harry was right in using the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book for potions class (Do not take the spells into account in this question.)? Was Hermione right in telling him not to? What would you have done in Harry’s position? Why? What would you have done in Hermione’s position? Why?

I don't think using the book was necessarily right because it was obviously very dangerous, but I can't say that I wouldn't have used it myself. After buying used books for college courses, I've often looked at the notes previous owners have left inside the books that I have just purchased. From time to time, other people's highlighting and explanations of difficult concepts have helped me to better understand the subject as a whole.
I feel Hermione was very right to tell Harry not to use the book. It's not fair for him to have the inside secrets to make all of his potions work perfectly. To me, that seems like cheating, and is unfair to the other students just using their regular potions books without extra help. However, if it were me in Harry's position, I'd definitely use the Half-Blood Prince's book. Since no one (besides Ron & Hermione) would know that I was getting extra help. I realize that this may be a little bit contradictory, but there's a difference between knowing what is right and wrong, and then doing it anyway. If I were in Hermione's position, I would have done just what Ron did, and tried to look off of the Half-Blood Prince's book as much as possible.

5. Would you have used the random spells written in the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book (You can't just say you know or could look up the Latin. Imagine that the spells were created in a language you'd never heard of.)? Why or why not?

I'm positive I would have at least tried out a few of the spells. Of course, I would be careful who I used the random spells on, but I would be too curious about what the spells did to just leave them sitting in my book without knowing the outcome of a few simple words.
Consequently, I feel that just knowing the spells could be of detriment to me. I sometimes speak before I think. I'm a little bit impatient with things like this, so I fear that I might decide to try out a spell on someone without thinking of the consequences.

6. Every day we make many choices. Are you comfortable with the choices you make (large or small), or are you more indecisive? Explain.

I'm always comfortable with the choices that I have made. In the long run, it becomes clear to me that I've made the right choices. The larger decisions might take a little more time to make, but I'm willing to spend that time figuring things out.
Small choices generally don't matter to me as much as big decisions do, and it's frequently easy for me to make a split second decision about anything. I'm almost never indecisive, although I do have my moments with simple things such as deciding which movie to see when I have three options of movies that I want to see. Decisions like those aren't as important to me. However, if there is a certain movie that I've been dying to see, then I'm going to be a little more adamant about pushing to see that film. At times, I’m downright stubborn in my choices, and am unwilling to waver to make the rest of the group happy. That's not necessarily a good trait, but hey – my astrological sign is Taurus, the bull, so it all kind of adds up.

7. Hermione created S.P.E.W. even though the other students disagreed with her ideas. Are you able to stand up for what you believe in, even if others mock you for your beliefs? Have your opinions (or outspokenness) gotten you into trouble? Explain.

My opinions have gotten me into trouble many, many times. I tend to speak my mind, and not care if others are going to judge me, even if my opinion is the minority. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so if I have to listen to your opinion, then I expect you to listen to mine. That's only fair.
I don't always stand up for what I believe in. If someone is talking about politics or religion or abortion, I won’t necessarily throw my two cents in. I don't think that we should constantly be arguing and debating about things that people most likely already have their minds set on. It's just creating unnecessary drama. However, if someone insults my family or friends, I will defend them until the end. I would never be able to just hold my tongue and not say anything if someone I loved was being portrayed in a bad light.

8. Are there any N.E.W.T. level courses at Hogwarts that you feel should be mandatory, regardless of a student’s chosen career path? Why or why not?

Of course. In the Muggle world we have mandatory classes, so the wizarding world should have mandatory courses as well. It's like us taking first aid, it just makes everyone more well-rounded. I think that everyone at Hogwarts should have to take Defense Against the Dark Arts, for the most obvious reasons. With it being such a dark time with Voldemort returning, everyone needs to know how to protect themselves.
I also think Charms should be mandatory. If a wizard doesn’t know how to cast a simple spell properly, he or she could end up doing a lot of harm to some unsuspecting person or thing. It's important to take care and thought in what charms and spells you are doing, or you could even end up hurting yourself. I don't think the student's career path should matter, I think everyone should be relatively well versed. Academics are important, especially when learning spells and how to protect yourself could save you later on in life.

9. If you were going to teach at Hogwarts, what course would you teach? Describe it for us (This does not have to be a class that currently exists; feel free to use your imagination.).

I'd love to teach Care of Magical Creatures. I love animals so much, and I'd want to be around them all the time if possible. It would be interesting to be able to teach other students (& animal lovers like myself) what creatures are dangerous and which are harmless. This way there hopefully wouldn't be any accidents with someone trying to go pet a dangerous creature. I'm the type of girl that wouldn't want to have just one animal with her at school. I'd want a cat and an owl and a rat and a frog. Hopefully multiples of each.
Another course that I think would be interesting would be some type of a first aid course, medical magic or something of the sort. This way, students would be able to help injured/jinxed people faster than having to take them to the hospital ward. I think it would be a good thing to know.

10. What class do you think you’d excel in at Hogwarts (take into account the teacher and their grading policies, class work, what you’re good at now, etc.)? Why?

I think I'd do really well in ancient runes. I love how it's a sort of language that needs to be translated, because I love languages. In college I studied French for awhile, and I always did really well in the classes without studying. I've always found languages to be fascinating, and I've never had many problems picking them up. I feel that runes would be easy for me, and I'd get good scores without having to strain myself.

11. What would your schedule look like at Hogwarts? Would you take all the classes you possibly could? Would you take the bare minimum? Explain.

I'd take all the classes that were required for me to get by. I'd avoid arithmancy at all costs, because I hate math and have always had a hard time understanding the more difficult concepts. Logarithms for example. No thanks!
I would probably take Ancient Runes, Charms, Transfiguration, Potions and Defense Against the Dark Arts. I'd really love to take Transfiguration with Professor McGonagall because I think she's a really good teacher, and fair with her grading. For me, school was always more of a social thing. Don't get me wrong, I love learning and I always did well in school. I just liked the social aspect of it more than anything else.

12. Professor Trelawney tells you that the thing you are dreading will happen on the 23rd. What is the thing you are dreading? How does this affect you? Explain.

Divination is entirely too subjective for me. For instance, if someone told me, "Something bad is going to happen to you on the 16th," I would wonder exactly what the definition of "bad" is. My definition of bad could be completely the opposite of someone else's. I might be expecting a parent or relative's death... while their definition of "bad" just meant stubbing a toe or getting a paper cut.
Anyway, now that I've gone off on that rant... the thing that I am dreading the most right now is probably quitting my job to go to another place of employment. I've been at my current job for a few years, and even though I don't like it that much, I don't want to end it on bad terms. I feel like I'm breaking up with these people, but I appreciate all of the opportunities that my boss has given me. I basically don't want to disappoint them, but I've never been able to leave a job on really good terms before, so I'm anxious to see how it works out. I don't really believe in divination all too much, as I stated in the previous paragraph. But I feel that I would be more aware of my surroundings on that day, and I would certainly be awestruck if the thing I was dreading the most actually did happen on that day.

13. If you found out that your best friend was going to meet some other friends and do things you didn't quite approve of, how would you handle the situation? What if they invited you to come along? Explain.

This is interesting, because I've actually been in this situation. At one point, two of my friends decided that they wanted to experiment with as many drugs as they could get their hands on. I didn't approve of this, and I told them constantly that I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I hadn't voiced my opinion and something terrible happened to them. They asked me a number of times if I wanted to join them, and I always declined while telling them that they shouldn't be doing it either. The situation didn't get so bad that anyone had to intervene, it was basically just a summer of recreational drug use. If it had gone farther, I certainly would have gotten them help or told a parent to intervene.
It was hard to watch and go through, but I had to understand that they had to make their own decisions. You can't force someone to do something just because you think that they shouldn't. They have to figure out right and wrong on their own. And thankfully nothing bad happened to them while they were on their drug binges. I'm still really good friends with both of them to this very day. It had no affect on our friendship whatsoever.

14. Would you rather have wealth or fame (You can't have both)? Why? What would you do with the money/fame?

This is a tough choice for me, but I think that the fame would be a better attribute. I didn't choose fame to be the center of attention, but I feel that it would be a good platform to talk to others about world issues. If I could be the representative of a group for a medical illness, or for an impoverished country and get the word out that there is a problem in the world or that more funding is needed for research, I would love to help. For example, I think it's brilliant what the celebrities do for the St. Judes Research Hospital with cancer research. They use their names to get people to donate money and care about a charity that they may not have heard about otherwise.
The money would be such a wonderful thing, but I feel that helping others in the world with my own fame would be a much better use and I would feel better about myself knowing that I've helped people that couldn't help themselves. And perhaps with fame comes money, but I suppose that's just dreaming now.

15. For each house, give an argument for both why you should be sorted into that House and why you should not be sorted into that House, regardless of your actual opinions of the Houses. Basically, explain what traits you have of each House, and which traits you don't have of each House. Do not just give an explanation of what each House is and isn't.

a. Hufflepuff
For: I'm incredibly loyal (I actually have a tattoo that says loyalty). I hate being serious all the time. I would do anything for my friends, because they mean so much to me and I know they would do anything for me. I'm extremely honest with myself and with others, because I hate it when people lie to me. I agree completely with the saying, "Treat others as you wish to be treated."

Against: I'm patient, but I hate being patient. Sometimes I just want to scream if things aren't moving fast enough for me. I've never been a follower. I can be very serious and determined or stubborn.

b. Slytherin
For: When I set my mind on something, that means I'm doing it. No questions asked, it's done. I've been known to be a little bit sly, cunning, persuasive & outspoken. I am sarcastic and jokingly mock others (always as a joke, and only if I know that person because I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings).

Against: I'm not always about perfection. I'd rather get the job done and then lay around and watch tv. My life mostly revolves around other people and not myself. I'm not a loner, I love being in groups. I also enjoy giving advice and helping others.

c. Gryffindor
For: I have strong morals and opinions. I love justice and good prevailing. I love to be a positive influence, and I often take the leadership position in making decisions, as well as other situations. I'm persistent and ridiculously stubborn. I also tend to act on instinct, and am very passionate at times.

Against: I understand that my opinions aren't necessarily right. I'm only brave when I have to be. As persistent as I am, I also understand that sometimes you have to quit and give up.

d. Ravenclaw
For: I'm witty, sometimes a homebody, and sometimes too wordy. People often tell me that I'm smart, and I did very well in school. I like learning, and I like things done in a certain way.

Against: I really only like learning when it's about something I'm interested in. I'm not a perfectionist, and I like to use emotion to make my decisions and not just knowledge. I'd really rather go out with my friends and have a blast than stay home the majority of the time.

16. If you were participating in the TriWizard Tournament, who would be the one you’d miss most (the person that you'd have to rescue in the second task - for Harry, it was Ron)? Why are they so special to you? Explain.

I'd miss my best friend, Megan, the most. She's been there for me every single time I've needed her since I was 7 years old. We rarely ever fight. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I was mad at her. If we are mad at each other, it lasts only a few hours and then we just talk about it and move on. I'd really miss having the person that I confide in, and tell all my secrets and dreams to. Most people lose touch with their elementary or high school friends, but I don't think I'll ever lose touch with Megan. I can always be myself around her, and she's my favorite person ever to be with in the car, because we can sing & dance along to vintage Whitney Houston songs like nobody's business.
I have a very small family, no grandparents, no aunts and uncles, no cousins. It's just my immediate family. Therefore, Megan's extended family has become my family. I'm always invited to family holiday events. Her mother is my second mother, her father is my second father, her brothers are my brothers. I don't think twice about walking into their house without knocking and helping myself to the fridge. If I lost her, it would really be like losing my sister, and I wouldn't know how to deal with that.

17. Why do you get up in the morning? What is your purpose in life? What is your passion? What makes you who you are? Explain.

My purpose in life is to have fun. I know that might sound a little lame, but I truly believe that I was put here to enjoy myself and to succeed in whatever was placed before me. I'm always up for an adventure, and I'm constantly seeing what's out there and trying something new. I hate the mundane quality of doing the same thing day in and day out, and I think that having fun and being spontaneous is a way to cure my boredom.
Getting up every morning to go to a job that I sometimes hate doesn’t really seem to fulfill my purpose in life sometimes, but at the same time I know that I will eventually (sooner than later, hopefully!) find a position in which I'll be happy with my job, my living situation and essentially my life! Until then, I will continue with my spontaneous road trips to out of the way locations, and I will love it completely. That’s my passion.

18. Is there anything in your life that you just can’t live without? Would that answer be different in the Wizarding world? Explain.

As I said before, I love animals. When I was living in a one bedroom apartment by myself, I got lonely from time to time. I adopted two cats, and I haven't stopped loving them since. I think that if they weren't around, I wouldn't be as happy with my life. They give me a sense of reality, and that I'm needed in this world. They give you unconditional love, and if you're not around for awhile, you can tell that they get upset. They're always happy to see me, and I've always loved being able to take care of something or someone.

My answer would not be different in the wizarding world.

19. If you had to change one (and only one) thing about yourself (personality, not physical), what would it be? Why? Would you change more things if you could?

Probably the fact that I'm too stubborn for my own good. Sometimes I find myself being stubborn about the most childish things. If someone hasn't called me back after I've called them a few times, I'll be stubborn and say that I'm not calling them again until they call me. And that's just ridiculous. I know it's stupid when I'm doing it, but for some reason I just can’t help myself.
I'd change other things, but only silly things like my inability to not find things that I'm looking for, even if they’re right in front of me.

20. If you could go back and tell your eleven year-old self one message, what would it be? Why?

Initially, I thought I would have told myself not to date a certain ex-boyfriend, but no matter how horrible of an experience that was, I really did learn a lot from it. I think my message to myself would be to not worry about things so much. You can only change some things, and the rest isn’t up to you. Deal with what you can, and accept what you cannot change. When I was younger, I used to dwell on things too much. I've learned to accept things now, but I wish I’d learned it sooner.

21. What do you think are the biggest problems with the wizarding world today? Why?

I think fear and acceptance are the biggest problems with the wizarding world. I mention fear because everyone and their mother is afraid of Voldemort. Rightfully so, but it seems to overcome their lives sometimes. The only way to change this, obviously, is to get rid of Voldemort.
Acceptance is a problem that I have noticed between the different houses at the school. It seems to be wholly segregated by house. If I were a student at Hogwarts, I would want to be friends with everyone, regardless of which house they belonged to. It just seems to me that they don't associate as well with each other as they should, and if they were more accepting of houses other than their own, everyone would get along much better.

22. If you were walking through the Forbidden Forest with a friend and found yourself surrounded by centaurs with their bows drawn, what would you do? Explain.

After I peed my pants, I would calmly speak up and explain to them that we don't mean them any harm. If they were still upset, I would voluntarily explain that we would leave the forest as quickly as possible and not return. After that, I would grab my friend and high-tail it out of there. I think the most important part here is remaining calm, because I wouldn’t want to frighten them or anger them any further.

23. What are you most looking forward to about joining this community?
Voting on other incoming members and participating in house activities!

24. What did you like about this application? What did you dislike about this application?
I like how this application gave me the opportunity to delve deep into myself and write about who I really am as a person. It allowed me to open up about the qualities (good & bad) that I possess.

I didn’t really dislike anything about this application.

25. How did you come across this community? If it was an ad from a current member, please state their livejournal name. (That person will receive House Points for your efforts, so please try to remember.)
my good friend kissmeinkiev recommended it to me.

26. Anything else you'd like to add?
Nope!
Tags: hufflepuff
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 18 comments
Previous
← Ctrl ← Alt
Next
Ctrl → Alt →
Previous
← Ctrl ← Alt
Next
Ctrl → Alt →