1. You’re walking through Diagon Alley, and a tall man, wearing very expensive-looking robes, drops a small pouch of Galleons on the ground in front of you. He doesn’t seem to notice that he’s dropped the pouch, and it couldn’t be more than enough Galleons to get a few drinks at The Leaky Cauldron. What do you do? Why?
I would pick up the pouch and chase after him to give it back. I could never use it, I’d feel too guilty. Just because the man is rich doesn’t necessarily mean he’s conceited or cruel. He may be very nice and have earned it through hard labor; he could have started with nothing. Also, he may not be rich at all, the robes he’s wearing could be specific work robes that everyone has to wear.
Besides, you never know who he is, he may reward you, be a member of the ministry or be a future teacher. I wouldn’t want him to find it was me that took the pouch, anyway, it might have been a test to see who would take it.
2. In his prime, Dumbledore was a very powerful wizard and a wonderful Headmaster. Do you think that the new Headmistress, Professor McGonagall, will make a good replacement? Why or why not? In Dumbledore's position, who would you have chosen for your Deputy Headship? Why?
I think that Professor McGonagall would make a great replacement; she was a previous teacher, very clever and fair. She is experienced in many factors of life, isn’t a Death Eater and on Voldemort’s side. She knows Dumbledore well and would always consider his opinion on something before making the final decision and it would be nice to see a woman as the head of Hogwarts.
I think J.K. Rowling is yet to show us her full power and usage in the war. She is a very dominating and powerful witch who will probably have a big role in the outcome of the war.
3. The Marauders (James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter) clearly had some excellent magical talents (being unregistered Animagi, creating the Marauder’s Map, etc.). Which of the four Marauders do you feel was the most successful in life? Why?
Although we don’t fully understand or know much about James, even though he was a very powerful wizard, he was more than often distracted by having a good time. I feel that Remus Lupin was the most successful of the marauders in life.
He has managed to control and keep secret the fact he is a werewolf, he has the qualifications to teach students in the Dark Arts. He isn’t a follower of Voldemort and a very faithful person. He’s helped the Order immensely with its work, and is a key member. Whenever something turns him down due to the fact he’s a werewolf, he doesn’t sulk, he just looks for somewhere new to work. He’s a very good role model to all werewolves out there, and a very inspirational man. It’s good he has such a positive outlook on things, he has also helped Harry a lot at school and out.
4. Do you feel that Harry was right in using the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book for potions class (Do not take the spells into account in this question.)? Was Hermione right in telling him not to? What would you have done in Harry’s position? Why? What would you have done in Hermione’s position? Why?
Considering Harry’s situation, I believe it was right of him to use the book. Harry was never a good boy; it’s his nature to use the book, especially considering he isn’t very good at potions. It would really annoy Snape, which he would love. Also, to become an Auror, Harry needs good marks in potions to become one, considering a major factor that he isn’t any good at potions is because of his teacher, this would give him the chance to start over.
Hermione was right in telling him not to use the book because you never know what would happen by using the notes, but, she could also have learnt a lot from that book had she taken the time.
In Harry’s position I would have used the book, it wasn’t doing any harm to anyone and was only increasing my knowledge.
In Hermione’s position, I would have been jealous of the fact Harry had found a book like that and started out telling him not to use it, but after a few days, I would have asked if I could also use it and take notes.
5. Would you have used the random spells written in the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book (You can't just say you know or could look up the Latin. Imagine that the spells were created in a language you'd never heard of.)? Why or why not?
I think I would have used a few to see what would happen. Then decided whether I continue using them, based on what happens. I think it would be fun to use them, because they’re unknown to you and its like taking another class. Especially considering there is no fun coming out of Snape’s DADA classes, I would definitely use them.
But, if they where harmful, I wouldn’t use them on other students, and I’d have to be very careful incase someone was to ask where I found them, or if a teacher noticed that they where from a particular book or even registered as the Dark Arts.
6. Every day we make many choices. Are you comfortable with the choices you make (large or small), or are you more indecisive? Explain.
When it comes to choices, I’m 97% of the time, happy with my decision. I always think things through as much as I can. It takes me a long time to decide on something because I will analyse it to death and think of every outcome possible and I’ll ask people their opinion as well. But when it comes to having an opinion of my own, I either feel very strongly about it, or am undecided. Or I just steal someone else’s.
7. Hermione created S.P.E.W. even though the other students disagreed with her ideas. Are you able to stand up for what you believe in, even if others mock you for your beliefs? Have your opinions (or outspokenness) gotten you into trouble? Explain.
If at least one other person believes in the same thing, even if they don’t show there support to other people I would, but I find it hard to if I’m the only one that believes in whatever it is.
But if I was mocked for my beliefs, it would increase my passion and I’d get really defensive and probably get in trouble for causing a scene. I would either do that, or I would simply say that they have their beliefs and I have mine, I know its weird having two such different takes on something, but it really depends on who said it. Like if it was someone mean that bagged it I’d have the first reaction, but if someone I liked disagreed I’d have the later.
I could only do what Hermione did if it was something I was extremely passionate for or if I/it was mocked.
My opinions have definitely gotten me in trouble before! Considering I really only voice my opinion if its in an objection. It’s not a constant thing, but most of the time I just feel like saying my opinion, even if it’s negative and to a teacher.
8. Are there any N.E.W.T. level courses at Hogwarts that you feel should be mandatory, regardless of a student’s chosen career path? Why or why not?
Yes. I believe that DADA and Muggle Studies should be mandatory classes. DADA, mainly because, no matter what job you have, in the end, everyone is going to need to protect themselves against Lord Voldemort and his followers or the next person who believes they can take over the world. It’s a very useful subject, and everyone needs to know how to protect him or herself properly, not just the small stuff learnt in their first few years.
Muggle Studies probably because everyone needs a thorough knowledge of what they’re not. If they ever had to stay with muggles for a particular reason, they might not know what something is or how to use it and they couldn’t really ask if the muggles didn’t know they where wizards. And especially if a younger wizard who can’t apparate gets stranded, they’d need to know how to call a taxi and then pay the person in muggle money.
9. If you were going to teach at Hogwarts, what course would you teach? Describe it for us (This does not have to be a class that currently exists; feel free to use your imagination.).
I would teach music. I love music, it’s my life (hence my lj username). I can pick up any instrument and play it; not necessarily the best, but I can play a song. The first time I picked up an oboe, I could play four songs on it, even using my teacher’s crappy lipsticky reed.
Music is never really a popular subject at school because the teachers always make it really boring, I’d love to show kids that it’s not boring but the best thing in life! I think music is one of those subjects that should be fun and not really about grades. When I grow up, I do actually want to be a teacher.
10. What class do you think you’d excel in at Hogwarts (take into account the teacher and their grading policies, class work, what you’re good at now, etc.)? Why?
I think I would excel best in Transfiguration. I have a strong imagination and could imagine what I was to transform well. I like a teacher who is strict and pushes you to do your best, McGonagall is a fair grader and pushes people. I also love writing essays and I would be absolutely obsessed with transfiguring things was I taught how.
I also love the idea of one day being able to become an animagus. That would be the best thing ever!! It’s definitely one of those subjects that you can put up with all the note taking and boring stuff by just thinking of the end result.
11. What would your schedule look like at Hogwarts? Would you take all the classes you possibly could? Would you take the bare minimum? Explain.
I would take the classes necessary to become what I want in life, yet still take a few to keep my options open if that dream fails (though I doubt that’ll happen to me. I’ve wanted to become a teacher since I was 4 and still do.) and then choose a few classes I personally find fun so that not everything is about excelling and making sure you got good grades, cause you definitely need a break from that all. But, I think I would also include some classes that would help me in everyday life.
I would never take as many as I could, because then you would have no spare periods, the homework would be endless. At the end of the year when classes get pointless cause teachers have nothing left to teach, imagine having a day full periods where you just sit their twiddling your thumbs when you’re friends have had breaks outside. It would be so frustrating! Now that I think about, I guess my timetable would be very full, just not all the classes would be crucial for my career.
12. Professor Trelawney tells you that the thing you are dreading will happen on the 23rd. What is the thing you are dreading? How does this affect you? Explain.
The thing I would be dreading would be whether or not having my braces tightened will hurt or just something to do with my teeth. So I wouldn’t be very fazed, as that date doesn’t really fit in with what I’m dreading and even if it did, I was going to find out sometime. But it would still be the thing I was dreading cause there isn’t anything really in my life that I do dread on a daily basis.
Also the fact that, nothing bad has ever happened in my life, I know that sounds strange, but it’s true. I have never broken anything or become seriously ill, or had an operation. I have been sick twice in the last six years.
Some might say that Professor Trelawney isn’t exactly the best divination professor there is. And I definitely wouldn’t believe her considering the next thing she’d do, would probably be to turn around and tell Harry he’ll die tomorrow. So, I wouldn’t be fazed, even if the date fit in with what I was dreading. I’d probably think about it for a bit and get a tiny bit worried, but I think I’d forget about it pretty quickly.
13. If you found out that your best friend was going to meet some other friends and do things you didn't quite approve of, how would you handle the situation? What if they invited you to come along? Explain.
I think that at first I would worry about her and really try and tell her the facts about what she was doing and all the consequences. If she still didn't listen, then I’d wait to see what happens and whether or not she learnt her lesson. Sometimes, the best thing to do is to just let things unfold and hope the person involved learns their lesson. If they invited me, I’d say no as I am a bit of a goody-too-shoes (although I would definitely let people know that I had been asked), but it would really depend on what it was and what my friend said about it.
14. Would you rather have wealth or fame (You can't have both)? Why? What would you do with the money/fame?
I would rather have money over fame. My family isn’t the richest in the world so it would help a lot to have the money. I’d also put some money towards saving the whales cause it’s something I fully support and I’d put a bit away for university and my parent’s retirement. I think I could handle being famous, but unfortunately there are a lot of downsides, like how the press can be brutal and they lie. The money would definitely be more useful.
15. For each house, give an argument for both why you should be sorted into that House and why you should not be sorted into that House, regardless of your actual opinions of the Houses. Basically, explain what traits you have of each House, and which traits you don't have of each House. Do not just give an explanation of what each House is and isn't.
For: I’m very considerate and friendly, I adore my friends; without them I’m nothing. I’d definitely like the people that are in the house, they’re my sought of people. They’re all very supportive and friendly.
Against: I don’t get that nervous. I definitely tend to say my opinion out loud and get in trouble. I’m not scared of getting in trouble in class, so I tend to talk a lot.
For: I can be quite up-myself. I understand what its like to have expectations of you. I’m also a good leader in everyday life. I voice my opinions in class and talk while the teachers talking. I’m very ambitious, if I want something I don’t let it go very easily.
Against: I’m not a very dominating person, I said I was a good leader in everyday, but in a crisis I am useless. I am not naturally a cunning sought of person.
For: I’m very loyal to my friends and other people and I’m someone to trust. I play fairly and don’t cheat. I’m brave when I have to be, when someone’s in trouble and needs help.
Against: I get scared when it comes to trivial matters like rollercoasters. It would be hard being in a house where everyone gets very protective and are very prideful. When they’re insulted they tend to get very angry and retaliate, but I’m just like, whatever.
For: I’m very smart and I quite like having conversations that are involved. I’m sure there would be some good chess players in that house.
Against: I’m not all for grades and where they’ll get me in life. Although I can be quite competitive, I couldn’t handle all the competitiveness. I don’t tend to button down and study, I’m one of those people who leaves it to the last thing.
16. If you were participating in the TriWizard Tournament, who would be the one you’d miss most (the person that you'd have to rescue in the second task - for Harry, it was Ron)? Why are they so special to you? Explain.
For me, it would be my friend Ellen, we go back a long way. Our parents where put in a mothers group together at the hospitable, so we’ve been around each other ever since. We have never ever had a documented fight or said anything mean to each other; we always have fun together. Cause we don’t go to the same school we don’t tend to see each other that much, but it’s also good, cause it means we never get sick of each other and there’s no competitiveness between us cause of grades or friends. We definitely bring out different sides of each other that aren’t used as much.
17. Why do you get up in the morning? What is your purpose in life? What is your passion? What makes you who you are? Explain.
My passion is music, I live for it. My life is seriously music based, I have a different ensemble just about everyday. The reason I get up in the morning is for three things: to make my parents proud, for my friends and to make people smile. In my house, there is a definite streak of competitiveness and that grades are extremely important.
My friends, cause I’m one of those people that needs a lot of friends, but good ones. I need them, I couldn’t live without them and I really couldn’t handle being a loner. I wold be so depressed. They definitely make me who I am cause they bring out the best in me. Making people smile is great! I just get a buzz from complimenting someone, or making them laugh and then have them smile.
18. Is there anything in your life that you just can’t live without? Would that answer be different in the Wizarding world? Explain.
I couldn’t live without music or books. Music, it’s what I live for; it just makes me want to sing and dance. It wouldn’t be any different in the wizarding world, jazz music though, is my passion. It runs through my veins. But books are the best, I would always choose a book over a movie any day (except when I’m sick, which is like never, so books are it). I could live without biographies, but not without adventure, romance and fantasy/sci-fi.
19. If you had to change one (and only one) thing about yourself (personality, not physical), what would it be? Why? Would you change more things if you could?
I would make myself think more about what I’m going to say before I say it, I’ve hurt two people in my life, each once, because I didn’t think before I spoke and I regret even now. I love them, and I know they’ve forgotten about, but I haven’t, I apologised profusely, but it still hurt them. I’d say sorry everyday if I could, but then it would just remind them of what I said and then they’d get hurt every day.
Thinking about things before I say them would help in other aspects of my life, I would probably make less mistakes in my work cause I’m not a very good proof reader.
20. If you could go back and tell your eleven year-old self one message, what would it be? Why?
Just because you’re having a fun year defying the teacher and voicing you’re negative opinion, doesn’t mean your grades should slip. Otherwise you will regret it, especially since you’re going to the same school next year even if it is the senior school; THEY KEEP REPORTS OF YOUR BEHAVIOUR.
Considering this is the first year that I had ever really had that sought of an outlook on school, I did regret it when I was back to my usual self and I was in classes that where not at my standards. Not meaning to sound conceited.
21. What do you think are the biggest problems with the wizarding world today? Why?
The fact that having magic and power can get into peoples head. How you can’t harnish it to only do good, you teach DADA to protect them from bad, but there’ll always be one person to use it against someone. Like Voldemort. And you never know which student will be the one, you could always guess, but just cause a kid is mean, doesn’t mean they want to take over the world.
Also that not everyone feels safe and protected by the ministry, people go over to the dark side for a reason. Either for their beliefs or because they truly think Voldemort will win and that they’ll be protected properly. Not all people feel the ministry has the firmest grip on law breakers.
22. If you were walking through the Forbidden Forest with a friend and found yourself surrounded by centaurs with their bows drawn, what would you do? Explain.
Go silent but slowly get out our wands and then wait till they speak, then calmly explain why we are there, that we mean them no harm and try to come to an agreement. Say that we know Hagrid and perhaps bag Firenz to get on their good side. I know it’s mean, but they’ve already rejected him and can’t come up to the castle. And then I guess just hope for the best and try not to do anything irrational. But the situation would definitely depend on who I was with at the time, cause all my friends are very different.
23. What are you most looking forward to about joining this community?
Just getting to attend a mini Hogwarts! I can’t wait to be sorted into a house and then get to take classes!! That would be the best things about it. Especially the sorting bit, I have no idea what house I’d be in, so I would like to find out and see what people think I would do well in!
24. What did you like about this application? What did you dislike about this application?
I liked the fact that it really made me think about myself as a person.
25. How did you come across this community? If it was an ad from a current member, please state their livejournal name. (That person will receive House Points for your efforts, so please try to remember.)
My friend tomfelton_4eva told me about it. She’s filled out an application yesterday.
26. Anything else you'd like to add?
I think this is a great idea, and that I admire all the effort put into it.