Ferin (acciobraine) wrote in _belong,
Ferin
acciobraine
_belong

Pizza

Name: Ferin

1. You’re walking through Diagon Alley, and a tall man, wearing very expensive-looking robes, drops a small pouch of Galleons on the ground in front of you. He doesn’t seem to notice that he’s dropped the pouch, and it couldn’t be more than enough Galleons to get a few drinks at The Leaky Cauldron. What do you do? Why? I'm going to be completely honest with this one and say that the details are very important in influencing what I would do. Considering that I could identify who had dropped the bag, and he probably hadn't gotten far after he dropped it (unless he apparated immediately afterward), I would definitely try and catch up with him. I would get his attention and let him know what happened and give him back his money. However, had I not known who had dropped the money (and because it is a reasonably small amount), I probably would have kept it for myself. I would have felt that it was an unfortunate happening for whomever had lost it, but chances are that no one would come back looking for a few coins and I don't think I would feel guilt if I didn't know who had lost the money, sadly. If I found out later that it was a poor family I would be beating myself up over it. I hope I'm not rambling!

2. In his prime, Dumbledore was a very powerful wizard and a wonderful Headmaster. Do you think that the new Headmistress, Professor McGonagall, will make a good replacement? Why or why not? Who would you have chosen for your Deputy Headship? Why? I think that McGonagall will make an excellent Headmistress. McGonagall already has experience with taking control over situations, she "held the fort" when Dumbledore was away. We also know that she is brilliant as far as her subject matter goes from her ability to transfigure herself into a cat. Although it would be a sad loss for the students who would not benefit from her teaching, it proves that she is capable of learning and growing. I feel this is important in someone with such an important position. She has also shown herself to give equal treatment to all students. There have been many times where Ron Weasley, for one, has been shocked by her readiness to take points from her own house. McGonagall knows that although the houses are separated to provide students with peers they can easily relate to, unity is the key in keeping a peaceful and successful learning environment. Also, McGonagall seems to be an overall friendly woman, while keeping her demeanor strict. That will come in handy as she deals with the parents of students and ministry officials. She can stand her ground, and stay polite as she does so. I believe a smart woman like McGonagall can handle the job easily.

3. The Marauders (James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter) clearly had some excellent magical talents (being unregistered Animagi, creating the Marauder’s Map, etc.). Which of the four Marauders do you feel was the most magical wizard in his prime? Why? Who do you feel was the most successful in life? Why? I don't believe you have enough information in the books to really determine who had the most magical ability. People seem to think that Peter Pettigrew was stupid as he went through school, but I believe Peter was actually quite clever. How was it that he was able to kill all those people with a single curse? As far as we know, that was his doing. Although this is a terrible display of magical ability, it still shows he had some greatness. He did not have the best character of the marauders, obviously, but that's not what the question asks. Sirius must also have a great amount of magic to escape from Azkaban. Remus (in Harry's eyes, at least) was one of the best DADA teachers to come to Hogwarts. He knew the subject matter. There is not much we know about James, but we do know he was a great Quidditch player along with what was mentioned in the question. So how do you decide who had the most magical ability? If we base it off of Harry and say that he takes after his father, then I suppose James could be the answer. It just doesn't seem like the best basis though.

4. Do you feel that Harry was right in using the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book for potions class (Do not take the spells into account in this question.)? Was Hermione right in telling him not to? What would you have done in Harry’s position? Why? What would you have done in Hermione’s position? Why? I think it was perfectly fine for Harry to use the Half-Blood Prince's potions book in class. Harry was only reading tips to make the potions come out better, he wasn't having someone else make the potion for him! It was still Harry doing the work. It would be similar to a teacher giving him a new perspective. It just happened in this case to come from a book. Harry was still learning from what he was doing, so I honestly don't see the harm in it.
I think Hermione was perfectly fine in telling Harry not to use the book. I think sometimes gut feelings can turn out to be correct, and in this case I think she was following her instinct more than anything else. Also, she had Harry's interest at heart. She wanted him to figure things out for himself. Hermione was trying just as hard as Harry, and she is not used to being second best, so it is perfectly understandable in that sense to. Change can be difficult. If I were in Hermione's position, I probably would have felt it was cheating at the time as well. However, Harry offered to let her see the notes. If I were her, I would have taken a chance and looked over them. It's just a different way of making the same potion.

5. Would you have used the random spells written in the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book (You can't just say you know or could look up the Latin. Imagine that the spells were created in a language you'd never heard of.)? Why or why not? I think I would use the spells. If the potions were all working out just fine I would never expect the spells to be something so horrific. I never would have guessed that they were created by the Prince himself either. I know deep down I'm a bit nosy, a little bit curious. Anyone who really takes interest in magic would probably want to try it out. It could have turned out to be somewhat useful, or even just plain silly. For Harry, it was just another learning experience. You can't put blind trust into things.

6. Every day we make many choices. Are you comfortable with the choices you make (large or small), or are you more indecisive? Explain. I tend to analyze every situation I go through. Large or small, I always feel I could have done something better. I'm always happy with my accomplishments, but I find myself comparing my work to others. I have a lot of faith in myself and what I do, so I think I tend to put extra pressure on myself. I don't want to confuse you here, but I can also make split decisions. In a situation where there is no time, I just know what needs to be done and think quick. It's really more of the academic situation where I have to really think about what I do.

7. Hermione created S.P.E.W. even though the other students disagreed with her ideas. Are you able to stand up for what you believe in, even if others mock you for your beliefs? Have your opinions (or outspokenness) gotten you into trouble? Explain. I don't think I've ever gotten in trouble for any belief that I've had, but I always know how to support my opinions. I'm not saying they don't change slightly as I learn and grow, but I have basic principles that I wouldn't change because of pressure from others. I am a firm believer in being yourself at all times and not worrying too much how others see you. Chances are someone will come along that shares your beliefs at some point. Either that or you have good enough friends that even if they disagree they will stick by you.

8. Are there any courses at Hogwarts that you feel should be mandatory, regardless of a student’s chosen career path? Why or why not? I believe that Charms should be mandatory for all students for all seven years. I feel as though Charms is a class where you can learn the basic spells that will help you in all other areas of magic. We've seen the trio use simple spells that prove to be effective. An example would be when they fight the troll and use "Wingardium Leviosa". Though it's good to know what you are up against as far as the Dark Arts go, I think Charms is the class that will make the biggest impression.

9. If you were going to teach at Hogwarts, what course would you teach? Describe it for us. I would want to teach History of Magic. I find it completely upsetting that Hogwarts students have to sit through Professor Binn's boring class. I've always had good history teachers. A good teacher really impacts how you feel about a class. I would want to explain to students how magic began and how old magic can still be powerful, though now overlooked. I think it's important to understand how things progressed through the years. It's easier to understand something once you know the background of it.

10. What class do you think you’d excel in at Hogwarts (take into account the teacher and their grading policies, class work, what you’re good at now, etc.)? Why? I think I would excel at Charms. I explained a lot of this before, but I think I would have a great interest in it. Professor Flitwick seems to do a decent job of teaching the subject as compared to someone like Snape. It's a lot of just practice and comittment like band, which is my best class in school. I'm very focused when it comes to music. That's exactly what Charms reminds me of. They say you do well in other subjects if you take music. I think you'll do well in other magic classes if you exceed in Charms.

11. What would your schedule look like at Hogwarts? Would you request use of a time-turner to take loads of classes? Would you take the bare minimum? Explain. I wouldn't take the bare minimum, but I also wouldn't request a time-turner (which, technically are all broken now) either. I wouldn't want to overwork myself. I don't think being one huge ball of stress would help you achieve anything in school. I like class, but I tend to procrastinate, and I wouldn't do well taking too many extra courses. I would probably take Potions, Transfiguration, History of Magic, Charms, Herbology, Ancient Runes, and Arithmancy or something similar to that. Divination is too much guess work, and I'm not a huge animal person so Care of Magical Creatures wouldn't interest me.

12. Professor Trelawney tells you that the thing you are dreading will happen on the 23rd. What is the thing you are dreading? Do you believe her? How does this affect you? Explain. I honestly have no idea what I would be dreading. Right now it is taking Driver's Ed next semester because I don't like being criticized and I'm already a nervous spaz about driving. I guess I would believe what Trewlany says because, oddly enough, the new semester starts around that time! I wouldn't get all worked up about anything she told me though. She doesn't show great ability except with her prophecies, and she's not conscious about those!

13. Would you bring a pet to Hogwarts? Remember, it can only be a rat, toad, cat, or owl. Which would you choose to bring? Why? I would definitely bring an owl. I'm allergic to cats, for one, and communication is important to me. I would want to be able to send an owl off to whomever I was thinking of at any particular moment. Also, they don't require too much care and are loyal and smart pets. What's not to love?

14. Would you rather have money or fame? Why? What would you do with the money/fame? I would rather have money than fame. Fame only seems to cause problems and takes away privacy, which everyone needs occasionally. If I had money, I would probably share some with my relatives, but put most of it into providing for my immediate family and even a few little indulgences once in a while.

15. For each house, give an argument for both why you should be sorted into that House and why you should not be sorted into that House, regardless of your actual opinions of the Houses. Basically, explain what traits you have of each House, and which traits you don't have of each House. Do not just give an explanation of what each House is and isn't.
a. Hufflepuff
For: I care about my friends and family. I may worry about my own issues, but I always listen with open ears and honestly care about how they feel. I also place value on equality and justice.

Against: I am not a hard worker unless I'm really motivated. Also, I look terrible in yellow. ;) Just kidding!

b. Slytherin
For: When I care about something, I put dedication into it. I want to succeed in what I do.

Against: I'm not very sneaky. I may be clever, but I'm just not cunning. I'm not great at showing others what they want to see at all times, which I think Slytherins can do.

c. Gryffindor
For: I stay strong in every situation I'm put in. I never back down from any sort of challenge, and I have that wonderful sense of loyalty to my peers. I also think I have that Gryffindor humor (Fred and George if you will. They remind me of myself.)

Against: I'm not always ready for change, and that can be a form of cowardice.

d. Ravenclaw
For: I'm intelligent and willing to learn. I tend to be bothered by people who give up on academics. I am great at giving advice and I analyze things to death sometimes.

Against: I procrastinate and don't always want to do homework. Once I think I've learned all I want to, I don't feel the need to push myself any farther.

16. If you were participating in the Tri-Wizard Tournament, who would be the one you’d miss most? Why are they so special to you? Explain. I think the one I'd miss most would be one of my parents. They are extremely important to me because they've done everything they can for me. They provide me with all the wonderful things I have and I obviously wouldn't be here without them. They are a great support system. They listen to my problems and take my side. They want to see me happy, so the feeling is mutual.

17. Why do you get up in the morning? What is your purpose in life? What is your passion? What makes you who you are? Explain. I get up in the morning because I want to see and do more and I want to have fun. I get up in the morning because there is that chance that I'm going to be laughing nonstop for hours. I like to know that there are simple things that can bring a smile to my face. Everyday I learn something new, some way to keep myself from falling into depression.

18. Is there anything in your life that you just can’t live without? Would that answer be different in the Wizarding world? Explain. I can't live without my computer. I absolutely love it because of the access to anything I want to see, learn, do, or even communication. I know that in the wizarding world my answer would be different. I would probably say my wand because it gives me the ability to do what I want to AND what I need to do.

19. If you had to change one (and only one) thing about yourself (personality, not physical), what would it be? Why? Would you change more things if you could? I would probably change my tendency to complain about things. I sometimes slip into a pessimistic attitude, and it is not appealing I'm sure. It's just that I want my day to go well and I get annoyed by small things. I wouldn't change too much about myself because then... I wouldn't be myself! It would just be odd. I think I'm a good person at heart.

20. If you could go back and tell your eleven year-old self one message, what would it be? Why? I would tell myself not to think that it's always going to be so sad. I had a tough time for a while, thinking everything was going to be harder to handle and it was going to take forever to enjoy things again. I was wrong, and I'm quite glad.

21. If you were the Minister of Magic, what laws would you change? What laws would you add? What laws would you remove? Why? I would change the fact that they are so strict on underage magic. Mistakes are easily made and I feel that it's a good idea to keep learning and using magic at all times to understand it completely. Parents are there to make sure things don't get out of hand. Unfortunately, you can't really make laws about disrespecting your fellow man. You just can't enforce that sort of thing, but it would be a nice rule.

22. Do you enjoy debating controversial topics? Are you easily offended? Have you taken time to read the rules in the Userinfo? Do you think you’ll fit in with this group of people? I don't like confrontation very much. I don't like being yelled at and I don't like getting angry at others. I do like to talk about controversial topics and really get people's opinions on things. I'm constantly changing my mind about certain things, as if I'm missing just a little bit of information. From what I've read, I'll fit in nicely here. I've been in many sorting communities before, so I already know at least the basics.

23. If you were sorted into a house that you didn’t feel you belonged in, how would you react? Would you live with it and make the best of it? Would you leave the community? Do you plan to stay and participate in the sub-communities no matter what house you’re sorted into? I think that you are sorted into a house based on your answers, and I trust that you all know what you are doing. I like all the houses, so whichever I am sorted into I will love. I could turn out to be wrong, but I'm giving it a fair chance.

24. What did you like about this application? What did you dislike about this application?
I liked the styles of questions that were asked. It was really unique for sorting community questions and I think it will do a good job of showing my character. I didn't like how long it took me to complete this. It's getting sort of late!

25. And finally, how did you come across this community? If it was an ad from a current student or faculty member, please state their livejournal name and where the ad was placed. (That person will receive House Points for your efforts, so please try to remember.) I think I came upon this in a really random community. I didn't see who posted it, I'm sorry! I suppose I could go searching.

ps: this journal is so I can keep track of the sorting community better and be active. for information on me you can look at nicefinalbeam, which has been my actual journal for years. :)

Tags: withdrawn
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 22 comments
Previous
← Ctrl ← Alt
Next
Ctrl → Alt →
Previous
← Ctrl ← Alt
Next
Ctrl → Alt →