Kait (celticjewel) wrote in _belong,
Kait
celticjewel
_belong

Steak and Ale Pie

Name: Kathleen N. Lyman, but I go by Kate.

1. You’re walking through Diagon Alley, and a tall man, wearing very expensive-looking robes, drops a small pouch of Galleons on the ground in front of you. He doesn’t seem to notice that he’s dropped the pouch, and it couldn’t be more than enough Galleons to get a few drinks at The Leaky Cauldron. What do you do? Why? I would pick it up and immediately call after him to return it. I would most likely do this because it was the right thing to do but also for the surprise that would greet this gent. Most people assume that everyone is out to get them, that man is inherently evil and that a good deed or kind word is rare; it would be nice to see that silly look of wonder that sort of tells you that you’re a pretty good person, that your parents should be proud, and that they shouldn’t lose hope in today’s young people, our generation. And…of course there is always that underlying hope that I just can’t help keeping tucked away at the back of my mind that I just might get a reward.

2. In his prime, Dumbledore was a very powerful wizard and a wonderful Headmaster. Do you think that the new Headmistress, Professor McGonagall, will make a good replacement? Why or why not? Who would you have chosen for your Deputy Headship? Why? I do believe that Professor McGonagall will make a good replacement because although she may be “stern” or overly fair at times, she is a good person and as much as she fancies the rules, she does put the well being of the students first. I think that sometimes pleasantly surprises the students since she has the reputation for being a stickler, it’s always a better-appreciated break when she does choose to show leniency. I feel that she distances herself from the students, not wanting to become a mother figure and this would serve her well as headmistress so as none of the students are overly familiar with her. For a Deputy Headship I would have chosen, at first, someone the students could relate to, someone they could really talk to and rely on in the feasible situation that they felt uncomfortable talking to the Headmistress directly. However, after a little more consideration I would most likely have chosen Professor Snape for a few reasons. First, he shares Professor McGonagall’s appreciation for rules. Secondly, although many of the students are not big fans of his, he keeps them in check and more importantly; he keeps the Slytherin house in order, where others would consider it an impossible task. Thirdly, he is a very talented wizard, and adept at making potions, something to be valued in a war against The Dark Lord. Lastly, if anyone still doubts his allegiance, Dumbledore trusted him and even in the worst case, it is far better to keep your friends close and your enemies even closer, seeing as Harry isn’t returning to Hogwarts, it’s not really relevant to consider “how awful” it may become with Professor Snape holding so much power.

3. The Marauders (James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter) clearly had some excellent magical talents (being unregistered Animagi, creating the Marauder’s Map, etc.). Which of the four Marauders do you feel was the most magical wizard in his prime? Why? Who do you feel was the most successful in life? Why? I think Remus Lupin was the most magical wizard in his prime. I say this because although James had fantastic ability, he was often distracted by the opportunity of having a good time. Sirius was indeed very talented and well suited to being an Animagus. I believe one of his strongest attributes was that he had good heart and stood by those he considered friends no matter what, however, deep down I have always thought of him more of a man of resourcefulness. One that would rather roll with the punches, live from day to day and take as many chances as possible. Peter, I believe did posses his own fair amount of magical ability although I am led to believe he learned a good deal of it from the other three and that he sort of just tagged along. Now, many believe it is greater to serve than be served, to give rather than receive, and of course be a good follower, listener etc. But I don’t think he made a conscious decision to be that way, to follow, to learn, I believe he always felt a little shorted, as if it was everyone else’s fault he wasn’t talented or good looking and that being friends with the other three would be as close as he may ever get to his longing to be great. Remus, although being a werewolf, is brilliant, smart, and strong. He is not afraid to ask others for help and is always seeking to give back although he has received very little from others throughout the course of his life. He pares his wizarding ability and knowledge with instinct, gut feeling, and logic thus making him the most gifted of the four. I think that sadly, Peter was the most successful. Although he lives in fear daily and of course is not rich or famous, he is one, alive and two, content with where he is albeit he is serving The Dark Lord. I would love to give this also to Lupin, but his circumstances are unfortunate and he has never really gotten the better end of the stick in life.

4. Do you feel that Harry was right in using the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book? Was Hermione right in telling him not to? What would you have done in Harry’s position? Why? What would you have done in Hermione’s position? Why? No, I do not feel Harry was right using the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book, granted it did make life that year much easier, and potions a less painful ordeal I think it harmed his friendship not only with Hermoine who I think indeed did the right thing, but also with Ron; he could of at least shared! In Hermoine’s position, it was difficult not to be the best at something at the same time seeing how easy it is for a friend to do something so low but realize that we all learn from our mistakes and at least he wasn’t cheating on the exams. In Harry’s position I would have never used the book for potion making for the same reason I won’t use the answers written in my arithmetic texts, however awful it may be, I always think that the answers are wrong, not just because they may have answered them incorrectly but also that it’s someone’s idea of a mean joke, to write down wrong answers, trap a lazy student and botch their grade for the assignment(s).

5. Would you have used the random spells written in the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book (You can't just say you know or could look up the Latin. Imagine that the spells were created in a language you'd never heard of.)? Why or why not? I wouldn’t have used the spells at random, as they stuck my fancy, I most likely would have found an inanimate object and gone outside somewhere private to see what they did. I think it’s dreadful to point your wand at your friend in the dark and just see what happens, that’s so irresponsible. Then, if I had found a few useful ones I would more than likely make use of them, of course, under the right circumstances. Ironically though, I would probably be protecting myself as well as my friends in not using them seeing as I would more than likely have no clue how to pronounce half of them.

6. Every day we make many choices. Are you comfortable with the choices you make (large or small), or are you more indecisive? Explain. Most often I am comfortable, the things I struggle with are not usually caused by decisions of my own coming back to trip me up. I struggle with things like “why did I eat both pop-tarts?” and conscious recognition that I didn’t really need to curse in that last sentence I spoke. I become more indecisive when it comes to things like men and what restaurant to dine at. I can tell you what I don’t want but it’s hard to get me to say what I do want emphatically right from the start.

7. Hermione created S.P.E.W. even though the other students disagreed with her ideas. Are you able to stand up for what you believe in, even if others mock you for your beliefs? Have your opinions (or outspokenness) gotten you into trouble? Explain. Absolutely! Being a Christian poses many different dilemmas every day. Not only do I have to defend my habits, interests, or actions to those who also call themselves Christians such as my like for Harry Potter, ok…my obsession or why I use profane speech but then I also must defend myself to those I encounter on the other side of the fence who are fanatics like myself but actually believe in a practice magic. They don’t understand why I get upset with myself when I curse or why I won’t do certain things. I have gotten in trouble many a time for voicing my opinion, my best friend is a tree hugging, war bashing, natural peanut butter eating, Jewish, vegetarian, hippy who I love with all my heart and I have supported many a time in Save the Rainforest Campaigns. I think however, my greatest challenge was in high school, my senior year when I was taking a government course. Now, in this class of twenty four students there were four Caucasian students and two republicans (this probably means absolutely nothing to you if you haven’t grown up all over the world and then got dumped in the states where prejudice and racism control society) I happened to be one of the republicans, an the other was an African American chap. Well every time he said anything, the entire class would jump his case, and then he would refuse to say anything, and I would end up defending my beliefs to the entire class day after day, topic after topic to then be ridiculed by the teacher and singled out for comment. She often would force me to support a belief opposite my own which much to her dismay I was able to do proficiently although housing no passion of my own for it. I think this has really been the most eye opening ordeal I have ever had to endure, it was a good nine months of my life and I think it has helped me realize a great many things about myself as well as teaching me to stick to my guns no matter how unpleasant it may be at the time; and of course it reaffirmed my belief that you should never talk about sports, religion, or politics if you can help it.

8. Are there any courses at Hogwarts that you feel should be mandatory, regardless of a student’s chosen career path? Why or why not? Well, a good deal of the classes are those that sort of give you a taste for what you could do for the rest of your life, not really things to help you in everyday life unless you make a living off of serving tea followed by the foretelling of the future from the tea leaves. The same opinion stands for classes like ancient runes, herbology, care of magical creatures, etc. Now classes that I think serve the entire population are things like Charms, Potions, Defense Against the Dark Arts, and Arithmancy these are all practical classes that not only prepare you for the world by teaching skills and memorization but also teach of the past which will always help you understand the future coming.

9. If you were going to teach at Hogwarts, what course would you teach? Describe it for us. Occlumency! No, I’m kidding, seeing as it’s not a widely taught, sought, or practiced skill. I suppose I would more than likely prefer to teach charms. It is a practical class, that isn’t boring or overly taxing to learn. Of course memorization, practice, and talent help but all in all it has an inborn ability to be a fun class. With many labs and on hands situations it’s an ideal way for students to learn and practice at the same time gaining valuable knowledge and experience along the way. Practicing on one another always encourages a scholar to be a little more careful and precise, as well as having a charm worked against them is just as valuable as knowing how to do it themselves. To understand how it feels or how it affects others is very important in keeping power lusting and impulsive action in check. Charms is a skill that must be learned by every witch and wizard so I would be able to make a difference in a good deal of the student’s concept of learning and perhaps be that one special teacher you had that you will always remember.

10. What class do you think you’d excel in at Hogwarts (take into account the teacher and their grading policies, class work, what you’re good at now, etc.)? Why? Most likely the class I would do best in is potions, and I did not choose that because I am female! I choose potions because it is a very precise craft. You have to follow directions, you must have a knack for attention to detail and of course, it’s a very handy skill set. Another reason I’m pretty sure I would do well in this class is because Professor Snape, who I respect, and at times fear, teaches it. I always do better in a class if I am seeking approval or trying to prove my worth. I would be much more strict with myself about doing homework and performing well because he is a stern teacher with whom it does not pay to be inattentive or slack. I work well in controlled atmospheres, and although I may complain about it at the time I enjoy having to be accountable and yes at times, subservient. Finally, if I did receive a bad grade I could always blame the professor because everyone knows he’s a difficult teacher who teaches a tough subject.

11. What would your schedule look like at Hogwarts? Would you request use of a time-turner to take loads of classes? Would you take the bare minimum? Explain. I would be well balanced, and it would depend on the circumstances. If I was taking very difficult classes, I may take one or two more than the bare minimum so that there was more time to do homework, and of course have a life. School’s no fun if it’s ALL work. If I was taking filler classes, or classes I found to be unchallenging, I would probably load up for the credits or variety.

12. Professor Trelawney tells you that the thing you are dreading will happen on the 23rd. What is the thing you are dreading? Do you believe her? How does this affect you? Explain. The thing I am dreading is more than likely a fight with a friend, or failure in a subject. More than likely I would keep this tidbit of information at the back of my consciousness, dream about it for nights upon end, start having nightmares and wondering what’s coming. Then work myself into such a tizzy I would have to stay with Madam Pomfrey all of the twenty third, even better for avoiding a potential disaster and showing Professor Trelawney that no matter how well intentioned she may be, she ought to be more careful of who or what she foresees because it can lead to an unfortunate result, for example, a nervous breakdown.

13. Would you bring a pet to Hogwarts? Remember, it can only be a rat, toad, cat, or owl. Which would you choose to bring? Why? Yes, Yes, YES! I love animals but there is no question as to which I would choose. I would absolutely positively choose to bring a cat. I’ve grown up with cats my entire life, they are wonderful, intelligent, comforting creatures and even if I did make a mistake from time to time, they would make beautiful water goblets. Cats can sense when you are sick, worried, sad, or lonely and they are companions for life they aren’t fickle or temperamental, they think you are the greatest person in the world and they cover all of your robes in cat hair just to show you how much they care.

14. Would you rather have money or fame? Why? What would you do with the money/fame? I would much rather have money than fame. Fame encourages flattery and for people to act falsely around you for your company or approval. I would much rather be wealthy so that I could live comfortably and without worry. I would be able to have nice things and even be as generous as I already am just with feasible means. Fame leaves room for misinterpretation, a sense of entitlement, and prejudice from others that is most often simply unwarranted. With wealth I would take care of my friends and help out in tough situations, not that money solves all problems but it does tend to help from time to time. I may have been an investor in entrepreneurship such as the Weasleys’ new shop or simply have splurged every time I went to Hogsmeade. Most likely I would find a way to keep it budgeted to provide for myself over a long period of yearly holidays from work and school.

15. For each house, give an argument for both why you should be sorted into that House and why you should not be sorted into that House, regardless of your actual opinions of the Houses. Basically, explain what traits you have of each House, and which traits you don't have of each House. Do not just give an explanation of what each House is and isn't.
a. Hufflepuff
For: I can’t stand favoritism and I hate it when someone gets away with something they shouldn’t have. I am always rooting for the underdog or someone from who little is expected. When I make up my mind to do something, join a group, be a part of something I do it wholeheartedly. I don’t mind people being bad or doing particularly not nice things, as long as they recognize the consequences and are ready to deal with them if they arise. I have few friends, but those that I do, I would sacrifice anything and everything for them and they know it.

Against: I am more aggressive than most and I would probably cause an unsettling situation from time to time. I’ve never been very popular and I’m usually friends with people who are complete opposites of myself. I put much more into a relationship than I ever receive and I tend to hold grudges. Oh, and don’t they have a knack for herbology? I have black thumb, meaning, I kill half of everything I touch. : )

b. Slytherin
For: I am ambitious, in a good way. I have high expectations for myself and those I call friends. I sometimes yearn for power although I am equally capable of leading as of following. I tend to have a vindictive streak, I make enemies a wee bit more easily than I make friends and I love to have a go at them when it’s head on. I have all of the traits of rebellion except the ability to follow through with it. I love to cause mischief. I love the comradely way everyone sticks together and a certain disregard for rules and regulations. I will do whatever it takes to get where I want, not necessarily what I want but if there is something I am hoping to achieve I will hardly lose wind or vigor for it until I have done it. I can be manipulative at times and I am drawn to men with power, drive, and ambition. Occasionally I can have a tendency to feel superior to others although I don’t usually act on these feelings.

Against: I’m not ruthless, down right mean or fond of being considered an evil little git, disliked by most, and having to live under the rules of Professor Snape at all times. I feel that Slytherin makes unanimous decisions and everyone is seemingly forced to follow the ruling of these whether it concerns who to be friends with or which classes to act up in. I don’t like how they categorically dislike all other houses, they play dirty and I don’t consider myself to be horribly conceited.

c. Gryffindor
For: Family and friends are the most important things in the world to me and I will stop at nothing to defend and protect them. I am very competitive and have plenty of (school) spirit and dedication. I am witty, resourceful, and love to be surrounded by people who will challenge me every day to be a better person as a friend as well as a student. I am outgoing and sometimes zany, and if I stay up too late, I start laughing at everything in the world from exhaustion. When I asked my friends if they considered me planned or spontaneous they said “planned spontaneity,” a title that I can now never live down.

Against: I have no hand-eye coordination, I can play football(proper football) decently but when it comes to just about anything else I’m not very adept. I love to have a good time but I hate practical jokes being played on me. I’m anal about music, especially singing and I feel I wouldn’t be able to do with many serenades from the fat lady before being more than likely to be locked out on more than one occasion due to retribution for a not so polite comment in her direction. When I’m not acting on a whim I tend to overanalyze things to make sure nothing goes wrong in many a situation. I don’t tend to have the highest opinion of myself, translated; I have dire self-esteem issues.

d. Ravenclaw
For: I would love to have the prestige associated with Ravenclaw’s wit and intelligence. I have always been a good student, grades are very important to me and I excel in a few of them. I love to read and write and more than anything I love philosophical and intellectual debates where at the end no one’s feelings are hurt and each party has gained respect for the opposing viewpoint. If I find a subject I like, I’ll spend hours reading everything I can lay my hands on about it or in relation to it. I don’t like to belittle others or act superior because most often I hold my own with the brainiacs when really, I know little in comparison so I don’t want anyone to feel like they aren’t “smart enough” to just listen and learn a little more. I’ve never skipped a class or lied about why I didn’t have my homework.

Against: I hate studying. I’m allergic to dust and it’s impossible for me to be quiet for any length of time unless I’m angry (in reference to studying in the common room or library). I stress my way through exams and I cram for every test. I do homework the morning of and I’m so very talkative, half the time I end up copying off of someone if it has anything to do with math. I work better on my own than in groups unless I’m in charge of it and I end up doing all the work for the project either way. I micromanage everything and I’m a control freak from time to time. I hit huge swings where for months all I can focus on is work or school and then I just burn out and become crazy where my life becomes very self centered around being with my friends and making myself happy. I never skipped class, but I did miss school once or twice when I wasn’t really all that sick.

16. If you were participating in the Tri-Wizard Tournament, who would be the one you’d miss most? Why are they so special to you? Explain. The person I would miss most likely miss the most would be my brother. My brother Joshua and I are eighteen months apart and practically twins. I was born deaf and had a speech impediment for many years after due to that, my brother translated everything for me and never let me out of his sight. Growing up we defended each other and got suspended together for it. We almost killed each other the summer after that, broke half the stuff in the house and got in so much trouble that we hated each other’s guts until we each went away to summer camp and almost died of homesickness for each other. We’ve been each other’s best friends for as long as I can remember and we share common likeness of pale, freckled skin, blue eyes, and auburn hair. We make each other laugh and we share common tastes in everything from video games and musicals to favorite places to eat and what movies to see. Since high school I have gotten a best friend, Sarah who is my dearest confidant and sister almost but Joshua has always been there and my world would dissolve if he weren’t a part of it.

17. Why do you get up in the morning? What is your purpose in life? What is your passion? What makes you who you are? Explain. I get up in the morning for the sake of coming home to my family at night. It’s hard sometimes when everyone else in the house is still asleep or when it’s dark and drizzling outside but I wake up to go out and be a productive member of society so that I can pay my bills and take some of the strain from my parents. Eventually my constant sacrifice will pay off when I get to go away to proper university instead of staying home to pursue a career. I hate getting up every morning to go to work and there are different things that get me through the day, some say I’m obsessed with work, others say I have a good work ethic, others still that simply say that it’s just how my brain works but I would have to say that I simply get up for my family. They’re the only thing in my life that has ever stayed constant and this is what it takes to make them happy, to make me financially independent, and to pursue my dreams.

18. Is there anything in your life that you just can’t live without? Would that answer be different in the Wizarding world? Explain. I can’t live music. Almost every moment of my day is accentuated by music. I listen to every kind of music imaginable depending on how I feel that day, what I need to express, what emotions are ripping me apart inside. If I’m not physically listening to music, I have lyrics going through my mind all day from Beethoven’s ninth and how it sounds when you feel completely crazy and screaming “bum, bum, bum, bum, bummmmmm!!!!!” to lyrics from love songs that you’ve never experienced and can only imagine you’ll have the joy to mean each and every word. I have never heard too much about music in the Wizarding world but I suppose it does exist in it’s own right. I think if I was in the Wizarding world and there was no option of music, I wouldn’t be able to live without my wand for the sole reason that it makes everything so much easier.

19. If you had to change one (and only one) thing about yourself (personality, not physical), what would it be? Why? Would you change more things if you could? I would love to change the cynical streak I can tend to portray. A mentioned earlier, I have dreadful self esteem issues and I think I would love to have one of those attitudes, or should I more accurately say, personalities of being okay with myself and not being afraid to blow my own horn from time to time. I also tend to let this cynical streak get in the way of meeting new people in the sense that I make immediate impressions of people and it is difficult to dissuade me or convince me otherwise if I have deemed them unworthy of my time or energy.

20. If you could go back and tell your eleven year-old self one message, what would it be? Why? I would probably tell myself to start working towards university now. I graduated a year early but I dropped the ball when applying for scholarships and colleges, so while I got into a university, it wasn’t the one I wanted. Money for school was and still is a big dilemma so I would have started having myself write essays and apply for scholarships and even Lord forgive me, started padding my applications (doing things because they looked good to get into college.)

21. If you were the Minister of Magic, what laws would you change? What laws would you add? What laws would you remove? Why? I would certainly lower the age of Apparation laws. Not do away with age restrictions but perhaps add something in there about having to be with a legal aged witch or wizard at the time of apparating from the age of fifteen to the age of being able to test. A law I would more closely define would be that of no magic outside of school for underage wizards, I would make a clearer ruling and not threaten to have a wand destroyed as soon as it is seemingly disobeyed. There would also be laws concerning working in the ministry and experiencing a conflict of interests pertaining to work and personal life.

22. Do you enjoy debating controversial topics? Are you easily offended? Have you taken time to read the rules in the Userinfo? Do you think you’ll fit in with this group of people? I absolutely love debating controversial topics. My best friend and I are complete opposites, she doesn’t believe in war, she’s a hippy; she’s Jewish, and liberal. I believe in war, I am conservative (mostly), I’m a Christian, and those things have never stopped or really even hindered our friendship and often times we’ll be debating different theories or opinions and people will come up to us and beg us to stop fighting, to which we often respond in unison with “we’re not fighting!” I have read the rule sin the user info and they are indeed one of the reasons I wanted to join, being able to discuss thing civilly and with out hurt feelings is a rare and precious thing. I think I will fit in with this group of people because first and foremost we all love literature, Harry Potter, and we all want to belong. I don’t think there is reason on this earth why I couldn’t get along with people who are like such.

23. If you were sorted into a house that you didn’t feel you belonged in, how would you react? Would you live with it and make the best of it? Would you leave the community? Do you plan to stay and participate in the sub-communities no matter what house you’re sorted into? I don’t really know how I would react, I don’t really know an awful lot on how a sorting hat would think but I trust you would not lead me wrong. I would indeed try to make the best of it and participate as much as I feasibly was able to. I want to participate in the sub communities and although LJ isn’t new to me, a community is so I would need a helping hand in how to be a contributory member.

24. Would you change this application in any way? If so, how? Why or why not? I enjoyed filling the application out, I suppose I would ask more questions that decipher character and how the applicant tends to think and then act. Otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed it; if I was to delete any question I think it would be the one about the Minister of Magic.

25. And finally, how did you come across this community? If it was an ad from a current student or faculty member, please state their live journal name and where the ad was placed. (That person will receive House Points for your efforts, so please try to remember.) I do believe I stumbled across it while looking under Harry Potter communities, which brought up something about British boys which then had an entry in it from one of the gals in Ravenclaw; sorry though, I can’t remember who.
Tags: hufflepuff
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 14 comments