Jenn (mix__tape_) wrote in _belong,
Jenn
mix__tape_
_belong

Sushi and Egg Rolls

Name: Jenny

1. You’re walking through Diagon Alley, and a tall man, wearing very expensive-looking robes, drops a small pouch of Galleons on the ground in front of you. He doesn’t seem to notice that he’s dropped the pouch, and it couldn’t be more than enough Galleons to get a few drinks at The Leaky Cauldron. What do you do? Why? I would pick it up, chase after him, and then return it. I have two reasons. I would return it because if I ignore it, somebody could pick it up and use it on themselves, and not others. People like that are kind of like people that win the lottery but don't give anything to charity.
Reson two: I would return it because if I didn't, I would probably keep it. And I prefer to earn my own money. Using other people's money for things bothers me for some reason. It's kind of like I'm too selfish to use my own money. Maybe I am selfish... I'm not really sure.

2. In his prime, Dumbledore was a very powerful wizard and a wonderful Headmaster. Do you think that the new Headmistress, Professor McGonagall, will make a good replacement? Why or why not? Who would you have chosen for your Deputy Headship? Why? I think Professor McGonagall will make a good replacement, but that's all she'll ever be; a good replacement. Not poor, not excellent, but good. Mediocre. Even though she is strict but can be nice, and the fact that she can keep all of the students under control with a single glare. But Dumbledore will never have a replacement that'll be as good as he was.
And as for my choice of replacement, I'd stick with Professor McGonagall. She's somewhat leniant but knows when to crack the whip, and seems good at dealing with large situations.

3. The Marauders (James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter) clearly had some excellent magical talents (being unregistered Animagi, creating the Marauder’s Map, etc.). Which of the four Marauders do you feel was the most magical wizard in his prime? Why? Who do you feel was the most successful in life? Why? In his prime, I feel that James was the most magical. Apparently he was the top in everything, and he was a Head Boy in his seventh year. He also had a nice group of friends, and was pretty popular. He seemed to be the all-around good person.
As for the most succesful in life, I choose Remus. I think that way because he landed a job as a Defense Against The Dark Arts teacher. You've got to have a few things on your resume to be a teacher. And since he was little, he's changed into a werewolf every month on the full moon. When he was a student, he went into the Shreiking Shack, and when he was a teacher he took a potion to help his transformations. It takes a strong person to admit to their problems and ask for help.

4. Do you feel that Harry was right in using the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book for potions class (Do not take the spells into account in this question.)? Was Hermione right in telling him not to? What would you have done in Harry’s position? Why? What would you have done in Hermione’s position? Why? I think it was wrong of Harry to use the potions book. It's like cheating every day. You don't learn anything when you cheat, so why would you do it? I agree with Hermione. She was right in telling him not to. She's been hounding him for as long as I can remember to do his homework and projects. Why would she stop now?
If I were in Harry's position, I would have listened to Hermione and stopped using the books. Eventually he would have got caught in his little web of lies surrounding the Half-Blood Prince. Then it would have been a major pain to admit to the truth. In Hermione's position, I would have given up eventually and let Harry learn on his own. If he's stubborn enough to ignore me, then I'd just put it in cruise control and let things play out as they should. I'd be happy when he gets caught knowing I told him so.

5. Would you have used the random spells written in the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book (You can't just say you know or could look up the Latin. Imagine that the spells were created in a language you'd never heard of.)? Why or why not? I would use the spells, but just on little things like a piece of grass. I wouldn't do something stupid like use a spell on my friend when he's sleeping in the middle of the night. But if the first spell isn't exactly a nice one, I would stop using the spells. If they don't do anything good, then what's the point? There is no point.
And if someone mean uses the spells to hurt people on purpose, that's just plain immoral! If I were a teacher, I would get the book in my possesion and burn it. Then I would punish the student, just enough so that they have learned their lesson. Not excessively. Hanging them in the dungeons by their toes would work. Knock some sense into them, they deserve it. ;)
But if that's illegal, I'd just make them clean the entire school or something.

6. Every day we make many choices. Are you comfortable with the choices you make (large or small), or are you more indecisive? Explain. I'm totally comfortable with the choices I make. If I wasn't, why would I make them? I believe that everything happens for a reason, so don't worry about what will happen, it's going to happen eventually anyway. And if you make a bad choice, and something happens from it, too bad. What can you do to prevent it? It happened already, stop worrying! It's in the past! And even if you could change it, I wouldn't want to. It's kind of like cheating with your decision making! If something goes wrong you can always wuss out and go back in time and make it so that you never made the decision.

7. Hermione created S.P.E.W. even though the other students disagreed with her ideas. Are you able to stand up for what you believe in, even if others mock you for your beliefs? Have your opinions (or outspokenness) gotten you into trouble? Explain. If there's something I think strongly about, I'm going to stand up for it! Just because people don't find it "cool", I'm not going to give up. 10 years from now, who's going to care? By that time you'd be a stronger person because you stood up to the abuse and stood strong on your beliefs.
As for me standing up for what I think, it's caused some fights, but they were resolved. It's not that my beliefs were unimportant, though. It's just that the friend I had the fights with respects people's opinions, and doesn't just brush them off. But eventually we find a middle ground and make up.

8. Are there any courses at Hogwarts that you feel should be mandatory, regardless of a student’s chosen career path? Why or why not? I think that Muggle Studies should be mandatory. In almost any profession, you're going to come into contact with muggles in some way. You should be educated in their ways and thinking. For example, what if you had an akward situation one time as a banker in Diagon Alley with a muggle? They could accidentaly walk in, and ask to withdraw $20. You could either...
(without muggle studies): Well... this isn't a bank. This is a.. candy shop. See? You can't get money here. Please leave.
(with muggle studies): I'm sorry, we don't have an ATM machine here. Maybe you should try the bank on 12th street? (Assuming 12th street is in the muggle section)
Just basic muggle studies, though. One year and it's done. Kind of like French in Canada, you only need one french credit in highschool.

9. If you were going to teach at Hogwarts, what course would you teach? Describe it for us. I would love to teach astronomy. It interests me. Just the fact that everything is so unknown. I've always wondered if every star in the sky is another sun in a different galaxy, and our sun is just a star in their sky. You never know.
I would teach by giving them quizzes and things like normal, but the majority of my marks would come from the practical assignments. I would let them roam free on the grounds in front of the school at night and set up their telescope, and then write down any observations. I would also make them write a report on what their view on the universe would be.
And to find out if my class was fun, I would make an anonymous voting system. The students could write their views on my teaching and classes on a piece of parchment, and they can slip it into a box outside of the classroom. It would be outside the classroom so it's not obvious when someone deposits the parchment in the box, and people won't pester them to know what they think.

10. What class do you think you’d excel in at Hogwarts (take into account the teacher and their grading policies, class work, what you’re good at now, etc.)? Why? I think I would excel in Potions. I've always been interested in recipies and cooking, and potions is kind of a variation off of that. And Professor Snape marks by mostly practical assignents, like making a potion in a certain amount of time. I think I'd do well in that aspect because I can work well under pressure.
Also, making potions seems fun. You can brew up anything with the right ingredients and make people fall in love, or you can even kill someone. Not that I would want to kill someone, but it's just the fact that you can.

11. What would your schedule look like at Hogwarts? Would you request use of a time-turner to take loads of classes? Would you take the bare minimum? Explain. I think my schedule would be pretty crowded. I'd probably have at least six subjects a day, assuming we only required four. I like having things to do during the day, then I don't get bored. Also, having six subjects would make me feel important. Like I'm needed at school. For example, if I thought of skipping class, I wouldn't because I'm needed at my class. Not that I have to go, but that I'm needed.
Yes, I think I would request a time-turner. I'd do that because then it's much easier to make the classes on time. But I obviously wouldn't request one if I didn't need one.
I definately wouldn't want to take the bare minimum. I want to have a career in either law or psychology, and those require more than the bare minimum of classes.

12. Professor Trelawney tells you that the thing you are dreading will happen on the 23rd. What is the thing you are dreading? Do you believe her? How does this affect you? Explain. The thing that I'm dreading would probably be the death of a loved one. I'm very close to my family and friends, and I let them know; if something were to happen, they wouldn't know how I felt about them. I'm terrified to go to a funeral, knowing that will be the last time I'll ever see someone I love.
Yes, I would believe Professor Trelawney. She has been right a few times before, and you never know, this could be one of those times. It pays to be paranoid.
Once I found out this news, I would, when I wrote home, end it with "Love, Jenny" and I'd just reinforce to everyone how I feel about them. I know Professor Trelawney could be wrong, or the prediction could be something else like getting a major test back, but still, I'd rather tell everyone how I feel then let it go unsure.
And I don't really worry about test marks. There's nothing you can do to change them, and you have to wait for them anyway. I try not to get nervous.

13. Would you bring a pet to Hogwarts? Remember, it can only be a rat, toad, cat, or owl. Which would you choose to bring? Why? I think I would bring a cat. They don't carry messages to people, but they're intelligent. You know the old belief that cats are smart and dogs are stupid, I don't believe that. Dogs can be trained and same with cats. Cats are more territorial and they'll try to almost take advantage of you and "own" your house. But I'd train my cat not to do that sort of thing and just be a sweet, loving pet. I'd also want a cat because they're loyal. I don't want a pet like a toad or a rat. They don't really seem to attach to people. And besides, the cat will last for at least ten years, I'd want to have a good relationship with it, not just an impersonal one.

14. Would you rather have money or fame? Why? What would you do with the money/fame? I think I would choose money. It's really only because nowadays you need money for everything. To pay the bills, the morgage, groceries, electronics, just about everything. Also, fame doesn't mean success. You can be Ted Bundy, a serial killer. He was famous. He was a good student, he could have been a lawyer. But he wasn't, and now he's famous in a bad way. And really, fame doesn't last, but money does. You can always have money, but fame will eventually die, talk will slow, reporters will move on.
As for using the money, I'd just use it to live comfortably. I'd also give a large chunk of it to charity and relief funds. If I have alot of money and others don't, and there's a charity available, I'll most probably give to it.

15. For each house, give an argument for both why you should be sorted into that House and why you should not be sorted into that House, regardless of your actual opinions of the Houses. Basically, explain what traits you have of each House, and which traits you don't have of each House. Do not just give an explanation of what each House is and isn't.
a. Hufflepuff
For: I'm honest, and I stick up for people. If somebody is talking behind my friend's back, I try to ignore the talk and ask them to stop because it's mean. They usually don't listen, though. I don't like seeing people sad, I try to cheer them up. I can keep a secret to my grave, unless it's serious like if somebody is seriously considering suicide or something else like that, relating to safety. I'm also patient; if somebody is talking to me on the phone and they tell me to hold on and take a long time, I'll just do other things like read a magazine or a book. When they come back and apologize profusely, I'll just tell them it's okay and it doesn't matter. Which it doesn't. I'm also patient in traffic and things like that. If you rush, you're probably only going to get to your destination about 1 minute faster than you would have if you drove at a normal speed. Big deal.

Against: I'm not a hard worker. I tend to procrastinate alot, which is very bad now that exams are coming up. I also get off-topic if I'm sitting by someone I enjoy talking to. I have a friend that I sit beside in geography class and we talk all the time when we're supposed to work. But my geography teacher moved us apart and now I'm getting better marks. So I guess I don't help myself, which is a bad trait. But now I'm learning to help myself. If someone tries to talk to me and I'm doing work, I'll pretend I don't hear them. And if they keep calling my name I'll talk to them, but keep it short. I'll almost act rude, but I'm not. I keep it short and sweet, and then get back to my work.

b. Slytherin
For: I don't really like to share. I'm selfish but I don't act it all the time. I barely lend out money to people, and I very rarely lend out my CD's and clothes. But if someone lends me something, I return it right when they ask, so I guess I'm not too bad. I also used to steal when I was little. I remember when I was in grade three and four I used to steal the little rubber dinosaurs out of the bucket. And in grade five I remember stealing a bookmark out of the "treasure chest". The "treasure chest" was a box that we got to choose an item from if we got perfect on a spelling test. But now I've stopped stealing. Not because I got caught, but because I eventually realized how mean it is when people steal. I only realized that when my Nintendo 64 game was stolen. Which is pathetic. But, I'm still missing it to this day, and that happened at least four years ago. And I still have that bookmark and those dinosaurs.

Against: I'm not exactly bold. Most slytherins (from what I can tell in the books) aren't that brave, but are willing to shoot their mouth off to anyone. I'm not like that... I'm too afraid of what the person would do to me. I guess I'm a look before you leap-type. I'm also not willing to kill or something just to have money, wealth, etc. I don't really value "things" that much. If my house were to be emptied, I'd be alright with that. There's only a few things I hold onto dearly, like the pictures and hair clippings I have of my puppy that had to be put down when he was three, pictures of my family, and my book that I write short stories in.

c. Gryffindor
For: I'm somewhat brave. I'm willing to stand up in front of a large group of people and talk, I'll try new things, and I'll go through new experiences alone if I have to. Like the first day of highschool, and even little things like seeing a scary movie alone in my room at night. But you've got to draw the line somewhere. I'm not about to run in front of a moving train to get something off the tracks, unless it's a living thing. Really, I can be brave, but I'm not the kind of brave that borderlines on dumb.

Against: I don't really like being in the spotlight. It's not really that I'm shy, I just prefer to do other things. My fantasy is being a bass player in a band, and I don't even know how to play it. I can play the guitar, but I don't want to be a guitar player. I just like the bass guitar. As for plays, I enjoy doing the lighting and sound. I like working with the tech stuff rather than bathing in the spotlight and singing my heart out. I just prefer working in the background.

d. Ravenclaw
For: I get good marks in school, my average is 91.5%. I enjoy reading and I want to be a lawyer or a psychologist. I don't hang out with overly smart people, though. I just want the hang around people that can be smart when they're needed. But "blonde" moments don't bother me. I have them too, I'm pretty sure everyone has them. I also enjoy learning, but only if it's something I'm interested in. I like most subjects, so it's usually not a problem trying to remember things. It's also fun understanding the jokes on some TV shows. I remember when I was in grade 7, and I used to watch Family Guy. I never really understood the jokes. But now, grade 9, I understand most of them. It's kind of ironic that the show seems kind of stupid but they make jokes that you have to think to understand.

Against: I don't study. I don't obsess over school. I do my homework, but I don't make a point of doing it right when I come home from school. And as for my not studying, I usually tend to cram all of my studying into one ten minute session before I go to sleep, and then I review a bit before the actual test the next day. I usually end up with good marks, so I guess it works. But some things I have to practise and practise. I play the clarinet and we have a culminating activity coming up. Starting next week, I'm going to practise it every day. And hopefully by the test day, I'll have it down pat. It all depends on the subject, I guess.

16. If you were participating in the Tri-Wizard Tournament, who would be the one you’d miss most? Why are they so special to you? Explain. I think my best friend Sam would be the one taken to the black lake. Sam would be taken because I've known her for five years. She changed schools and we still kept being friends. Now we go to the same highschool, and we're better friends then we have ever been. She's so special to me because she has always been there for me with good advice, and vice versa. We always think up dumb things to laugh about. I can tell her anything, she's a good listener. She calls me in a crisis, but I don't do the same. I guess it's the way I am, if I'm upset I'll go to my room and try to figure out why I feel the way I do. But then some of those feelings emerge when I'm talking to Sam for some reason, we talk about everything, and then I talk to her about it and she'll help me.

17. Why do you get up in the morning? What is your purpose in life? What is your passion? What makes you who you are? Explain. I get up in the morning because my alarm clock buzzes at me and the sun is shining through my window. But I also get up because I have a passion for music and art. Music isn't my life, but it's so much fun. I play the clarinet, the keyboard, the trumpet, the guitar, and the flute. I can play a few songs on most of the instruments I named, but the clarinet is the one I excel at. I've been playing for only 3 years but I'm in the grade 9 band and senior wind ensemble. I just love it. I also like playing the guitar because I can strum a few chords and make up a melody, and then all I need is words and I've got a song. I made up a poem about the war in Iraq, but that's it. I need motivation most of the time. Usually I can think of a few lines for a song or a poem, but not the whole thing. I have song fragments bouncing around in my head and I need to write them down. I need an outlet.

18. Is there anything in your life that you just can’t live without? Would that answer be different in the Wizarding world? Explain. I can't live without my family and friends. They're my support system, and they've been there for me. I need them for me to live. If a death were to occur, I'd never get over it. I wouldn't be an emotional wreck my whole life, but nobody will ever be able to fill the gap that my family and friends have created in my life. I'm pretty sure that my answer would stay the same in the wizarding world. What else is there that we don't have? Magic? Yes, that's a perk, but look at Severus Snape. He let magic take over his life, and now look where he is. I wouldn't want magic to be my everything. It's nice, yes, but good things don't last. It's almost like a drug.

19. If you had to change one (and only one) thing about yourself (personality, not physical), what would it be? Why? Would you change more things if you could? I'd change the fact that I'm shy. Sometimes it's lost me a few oppurtunities, but it's not all that bad. If I weren't shy, I'd probably be injured or dead by now. I sometimes think of stupid things to do, but my shyness and self-control take over. I've thought about putting my hand on a hot burner, just to know how it feels. I've thought of drinking laundry detergent to see if it tastes as good as it smells. I'm too shy to try it. But it's a good thing. Like I said, if I weren't shy, I would probably be either injured or dead by now. And no, I wouldn't change anything else about myself. Everyone is they way they are for a reason, why change that?

20. If you could go back and tell your eleven year-old self one message, what would it be? Why? I'd tell myself not to listen to others. I've been convinced into believing so many stupid things over my lifetime. I sometimes take people's opinions and make them into a truth before I even experience whatever it is that I took the opinion on. For example, before my first day of highschool, I took other's opinions on how it would be, which was a mistake. I built myself a nice little wall of fear that stopped me from going to school early on my first day, and I even considered avoiding the "catwalk", which now is fine. The catwalk is a hallway with benches and long windows that connects the two wings of the school. Grade 12's usually hang out there at lunch and before class. I walked through there very fast on my first day, they could probably tell I was scared. But if I didn't ask anybody about it, I would have never been afraid. Or if I didn't take opinions and turn them into fact at all.

21. If you were the Minister of Magic, what laws would you change? What laws would you add? What laws would you remove? Why? I wouldn't really want to be the Minister of Magic, I don't like being a leader. But I don't like being a follower, so I'm not sure what I am. But if I were, I'd want to change the fact that things are so expensive. I'd make wands, pets and everything school-related cheaper. It's a shame that most of the people I know that live in a low income household are so nice and caring. Kind of ironic how that works out. I'd also want to change the law that underage wizards aren't allowed to use magic. I'd change it so that you can use magic if you live in an all-magic community and you have your parent's permission. Hey, it's magic, so I'd know if you don't have permission.

22. Do you enjoy debating controversial topics? Are you easily offended? Have you taken time to read the rules in the Userinfo? Do you think you’ll fit in with this group of people? It depends on the subject. If it's something I believe in, like gay marriages or animal rights, then I'll debate it, for sure. But it's only if the people I'm debating with will accept my views. If they just think I'm being stupid and brush me off, I won't enjoy debating anymore, really. So, I only like debating if people listen to what I say.
I don't think I'm easily offended. I can take constructive critisim, but if it's just a plain rude insult, then I'll give a little backlash. If you're being rude on purpose, you deserve something back. But don't get me wrong, I won't have an explosive reaction to a little bad thing you would say about me. But if it's something like "you're stupid and ugly and you don't deserve to be in this community", especially if it's an anonymous post, I'll get mad. But I only retalliate if I have something to say back. Which is why I don't argue in real-life, because it takes me a while to think of something to say, and then I have to piece it together and then possibly remove some things, and add other things.
Yes, I've read all of the rules in the userinfo. I think you all seem like a nice bunch of people and I hope you'll like me. :)

23. If you were sorted into a house that you didn’t feel you belonged in, how would you react? Would you live with it and make the best of it? Would you leave the community? Do you plan to stay and participate in the sub-communities no matter what house you’re sorted into? If I were sorted into a house I don't think I belonged in, I'd re-read my application a few times to see if I said a few things that would hint that I belong in that house. If I found nothing, I would (nicely) ask why they thought that way. But I doubt that would happen, I like every house for their own reason, and I'll be happy in any one of them. I'm just curious to see what house I belong in.
And yes, of course I'd stay in the house and make the best of it. I would never leave the community. You took the time to sort me and read my application, why would I be rude enough to leave?
And yes, I definately plan to participate. I'll do whatever I can to get house points, and I'll participate in all of the activities. I'll also vote on every application that comes in. I love voting. :)

24. What did you like about this application? What did you dislike about this application? I liked the fact that the application had alot of questions, and that we were told to elaborate. Hopefully you've captured a good idea of who I am and then you can put me in the house that I belong in.

25. And finally, how did you come across this community? If it was an ad from a current student or faculty member, please state their livejournal name and where the ad was placed. (That person will receive House Points for your efforts, so please try to remember.) I saw an ad in community_promo and it was posted by sceneontheradio.

Thanks for reading my application, and thanks in advance for voting!
Tags: hufflepuff
Subscribe

• Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 18 comments