lied_ohne_worte (lied_ohne_worte) wrote in _belong,
lied_ohne_worte
lied_ohne_worte
_belong

• Mood:
  • Music:

Seafood

Name: Eva

1. You’re walking through Diagon Alley, and a tall man, wearing very expensive-looking robes, drops a small pouch of Galleons on the ground in front of you. He doesn’t seem to notice that he’s dropped the pouch, and it couldn’t be more than enough Galleons to get a few drinks at The Leaky Cauldron. What do you do? Why?

I think I will call him, and if he does not notice I will run after him and give the money back. Of course I would feel tempted to take the money for myself, and I could try to convince myself that he surely does not need it, but I would not be feel good with whatever I'd spend it for.

I just think that there are certain rules that keep our world going, and the "don't take what belongs to another person" rule is one of them. I have had several things stolen (or forgotten somewhere and not returned by the finder) before, and although I was always able to replace them somehow, it made me feel very bad that other people disregarded my right to keep my property. So if I do not want my own things taken, I can not in good conscience take other people's things.

2. In his prime, Dumbledore was a very powerful wizard and a wonderful Headmaster. Do you think that the new Headmistress, Professor McGonagall, will make a good replacement? Why or why not? Who would you have chosen for your Deputy Headship? Why?

Well, I think Dumbledore was definitely right, and in his place I would probably have made the same choice. It is a bit difficult to say as we do not see all teachers in the books, but of those we see she seems the best qualified. She is a very powerful witch, being an Animagus. This is not the most important qualification, but it is certainly important. Her authority is great, as it is stated in the books that she can keep a class as calm and concentrated as Snape can. She is strict, but she does not treat the students in her own house better than others. This kind of favouritism would have ruled out Snape, even before HBP.

A quality that Dumbledore possessed, but McGonagall has not shown that much, is humour. I perceive her as somewhat stiff. However, in the times that are coming after HBP, Hogwarts will not need a gentle person, but someone who is able to protect the students efficiently.
Also, McGonagall showed a somewhat different side of her personality in OOTP. The way she treated, or shall we say ignored, Umbridge's attempts to make her nervous in classes were fantastic. And when she started to give Peeves hints on how to wreak havoc ("It unscrews the other way"), I was utterly convinced that there was a lot more to this woman than we had seen before. She is one of my favourite characters in the books.

3. The Marauders (James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter) clearly had some excellent magical talents (being unregistered Animagi, creating the Marauder’s Map, etc.). Which of the four Marauders do you feel was the most magical wizard in his prime? Why? Who do you feel was the most successful in life? Why?

The first part, well, it is a close tie. I think that Sirius and James share that honour. We are told several times that they were among the best students that Hogwarts had in their time. The glimpse Harry gets in the Pensieve shows us that they had no problems with their exams. Much of their carelessness was probably an attitude to impress girls others, like the playing with the Snitch James does, but one still can not deny the fact that they must have been very gifted.
To me Remus comes over more like a bookish person. He is very gifted as well, but he gets good grades by reading and working, which James and Sirius seem not to like that much.
Peter... I am probably underestimating him, but to me it looks as if he was not as gifted as the others. It is said that he needed their help to become an Animagus, and that he liked to attach himself to powerful friends. He must be powerful, as he is able to perform the Unforgivable Curses and executed the ritual that brought Voldemort back, but I wonder how much of those achievements are triggered by his fear of Voldemort.

The second part... James. This sounds strange, as he is dead after all, but he had a family and left a child he could be proud of. Also he seems to have made a personal development from an arrogant bully to a man who could get Lily Evan to change her opinion and fall in love with him. But most important, he stayed true to his ideals. He did not betray the Order, but died for what he believed in. So he did everything right (at least from his own perspective).
Sirius, on the contrary, died too early. If he had had some years to overcome his time in Azkaban, this might be different, but as it is, his personality was not developed at the time he died.
Remus, to me, is still searching. He is strongly hampered by his "furry problem", of course. It made him insecure about his own worth, as we see in his arguing with Tonks, and it also keeps him from finding a living. He has accepted this, but he does not take it easy. After the war, if he survives it, he will surely develop further. He already possesses a certain wisdom that his suffering has taught him, but he needs more time.
And poor Peter is surely not happy with his way in life. His working for Voldemort has not brought him any glory of his own. I imagine he had (besides his fear) fantasies of glory and power, of showing his friends that they underestimated him and therefore joined Voldemort. But none of this has been fulfilled. He is bossed around; and even the other Death Eaters look down on him.

4. Do you feel that Harry was right in using the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book for potions class (Do not take the spells into account in this question.)? Was Hermione right in telling him not to? What would you have done in Harry’s position? Why? What would you have done in Hermione’s position? Why?

I can understand why Harry used the book. As far as it was only for making his potions successfully I also think it was ethically right. Using it in a competition (and that is what it was) to get the Felix Felicis, on the other hand, was not right. I can not say that I would not have done so, too, but I would have felt slightly guilty.
I can understand that Hermione was upset, and I can also understand if she was jealous of Harry's sudden success, which I believe. Unfortunately she chose an awkward way to communicate this to Harry, as she often does when she thinks the boys are doing something wrong. When she starts to patronise them they usually only get stubborn and ignore her. If she had told Harry that it was unfair to use the Prince's hints during the competition for the Felix Felicis, he would perhaps have felt honour-bound to not use the book in this case.

5. Would you have used the random spells written in the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book (You can't just say you know or could look up the Latin. Imagine that the spells were created in a language you'd never heard of.)? Why or why not?

I would never have used the spell on a person. Perhaps I would have experimented with objects first, but even that would have been dangerous. The spell could simply have backfired, or it could have created something dangerous, like a thunderbolt. I would have done research and then decided whether to use the spell. Surely the library will have books on how spells are created. I would have tried to identify the elements of the spell to get an idea what it might do and, more important, what it might be for, and then started to experiment on objects.

6. Every day we make many choices. Are you comfortable with the choices you make (large or small), or are you more indecisive? Explain.

I am both. Sometimes I think about small things for a very long time. When I am going out with friends I am often not able to say to which bar I would like to go or which movie I would like to see. But when I think about important things it is different. An example: I had to make the decision to study for a second degree which means at least for years more at the university. I knew I had time to decide, so I did not really think about it too much for several weeks. One day I went into town, and while I was walking around, I suddenly knew that I would do it.
I treat most important decisions that have some time like this: I leave them alone for a while and wait for the moment when I just know what is the right thing to do.

7. Hermione created S.P.E.W. even though the other students disagreed with her ideas. Are you able to stand up for what you believe in, even if others mock you for your beliefs? Have your opinions (or outspokenness) gotten you into trouble? Explain.

I was quite shy as a teenager, and I am still working on overcoming it. In those times I had great problems to say what I wanted and to openly criticise others, especially when I fear that I will have a group of people against me if I do so. I have been working on this during the last years, and it is getting better, but I am still not glad with myself.
My outspokenness tends to get me in trouble nevertheless. I have the somewhat (in)famous ability to make snarky comments without really realising that I am saying them aloud. When that happens I usually make people around me laugh, as I have my witty moments. But sometimes I say things in class that the Professor probably should not hear. And I once hurt a friend of mine unintentionally with a comment that was not meant seriously at all. Now this is long forgotten, but I still learnt from it to be careful with what I say, as words can hurt greatly.

8. Are there any courses at Hogwarts that you feel should be mandatory, regardless of a student’s chosen career path? Why or why not?

Yes. But as far as I can tell, this applies only to Defence Against The Dark Arts. I think that a wizard can probably live without all of the other courses, but everyone should be able to defend themselves against the threat that Dark Magic is. Even when Voldemort is defeated, his followers will probably still be a threat to the wizarding community. And there seem to be all sorts of creatures that a witch or wizard must defend themselves against. Even Redcaps and Grindylows can be dangerous if you do not know how to defeat them.
Muggle Studies would also be a good thing to have, as they would perhaps help the children from wizarding families to understand the Muggles better, but it would be pointless to make them mandatory for students with one or even two Muggle parents.

9. If you were going to teach at Hogwarts, what course would you teach? Describe it for us.

I could imagine teaching something like Ancient Runes or Arithmancy. We do not know that much about those subjects, but I always imagined them to be fun.
Ancient Runes will probably mean understanding old writing. I imagine the letters to have several meanings and perhaps even magical properties, so that a spell works if you write it down. I think that several ancient cultures used concepts like this. So it must be a somewhat less developed but still fully working magic.
Arithmancy probably has a lot to do with the symbolic meaning of numbers. I am somewhat interested in things like that or in number-symbolism in classical music. Why shouldn't numbers help you to create spells that are well-balanced and powerful?
Both of those subjects will probably mean a lot of work and calculation, but I think that if you enjoy them yourself and have a gift for teaching, you can make them interesting for students.

10. What class do you think you’d excel in at Hogwarts (take into account the teacher and their grading policies, class work, what you’re good at now, etc.)? Why?

According to my abilities in the Muggle World and to my answers in 9., I think that I might be good in those subjects, at least if they are as I imagine them.
As for subjects we know some more about, I think I might have do well in Charms. It seems to require the ability to concentrate and the understanding of theory as well as the will to practise. I think that I have all those qualities, and assuming that I was a somewhat gifted witch, I would probably be quite successful. Also, Professor Flitwick seems to be fair to the students and somewhat tolerant about their doings in class. As I like to work in my own way this would suit me more than a teacher who dictates every single step.

11. What would your schedule look like at Hogwarts? Would you request use of a time-turner to take loads of classes? Would you take the bare minimum? Explain.

I think I would be sorely tempted to fill my timetable. I surely would not go as far as Hermione. Using the time-turner sounds somewhat risky, and I also like to keep my workload manageable. But if I came from a Muggle family like her, I would want to learn everything and therefore take as many subjects as I could.

12. Professor Trelawney tells you that the thing you are dreading will happen on the 23rd. What is the thing you are dreading? Do you believe her? How does this affect you? Explain.

At the moment, due to real life events, that would be any of the people who is dear to me dying. This is not at all likely to happen soon, but the thought still scares me.
After all we know about Trelawney, I would not believe her. As to how it affects me... I could not help being a bit nervous on the 23rd, but I doubt that anyone would notice.

13. Would you bring a pet to Hogwarts? Remember, it can only be a rat, toad, cat, or owl. Which would you choose to bring? Why?

I think I would bring an owl. I do not dislike toads, but they are somewhat boring, compared to the other three. The owls we see in the books are very loyal animals, and they also have a very practical side. I have always liked owls anyway, so I would choose them over rats and cats.

14. Would you rather have money or fame? Why? What would you do with the money/fame?

I do not really know, as both of these are not the things I value most in life. If I had to choose, I would take the money. Fame can be lost more easily than money. Money can give you a certain security about your future, especially when the times are getting harder (as they are in my country just now). Money can also help you to follow the things you are interested in, especially if it is so much that you do not have to work anymore. If I had very much money, I would get some nice things like a house and what I need to fill it (books, nice old furniture and a good piano) and then invest what is left so that I could live of the profits (with giving a certain percentage to charity). I would not start to spend great amounts for useless things, instead I would go on travels to interesting places and so on. I would invite my friends very often, but I would only tell the closest of them about what has happened as I would not want people to pretend to be my friends only because I was rich.

15. For each house, give an argument for both why you should be sorted into that House and why you should not be sorted into that House, regardless of your actual opinions of the Houses. Basically, explain what traits you have of each House, and which traits you don't have of each House. Do not just give an explanation of what each House is and isn't.

a. Hufflepuff

For:
I am very loyal to my friends. I do not make friends easily and therefore have less than most other people. But for those I have I would do almost everything.

Against:
I am not very hard-working. This might seem to contradict my previous answers about subjects that require work. The point is, however, that I only work for things that I think are interesting and I am gifted in. Many of my achievements in school required very little work, as I am gifted in several areas. But I really had to learn to work on things that I was not talented for. I like to omit steps, for example in maths, because I try to take the shortest way to achieve an aim.

b. Slytherin

For:
I can be quite mean, especially toward people that make me impatient. I feel superior towards many people, and I have to work hard to not let them know.

Against:
Although I often feel superior towards others, I always strive not to judge people because of their race, gender, religion and so on before I even know them. Although we know that not all Slytherins are Purebloods, the climate there seems to encourage racism, and this is something I could not stand very well.

c. Gryffindor

For:
I have ideals, and I do believe strongly in certain things. Although it might be difficult to follow them in reality, I hope that I will never betray them.

Against:
I lack the spontaneity that many Gryffindors show. I do not put the rules above all else, but I still think very carefully before I break them.

d. Ravenclaw

For:
I have a mind for learning, and I am interested in many things. I am a fact-collector: the most obscure things I just heard once stay in my memory, and I tend to produce them some time and tell them to people no matter if they want to hear them or not.

Against:
I realise that this might come over as "pushing", but I really do not have anything. We know somewhat less about Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff than about the other two houses. From all I know about Ravenclaw, I see nothing there that I do not possess in some way.

16. If you were participating in the Tri-Wizard Tournament, who would be the one you’d miss most? Why are they so special to you? Explain.

This would be my best friend. We have known each other for more than four years now. As we were doing the same studies, we have similar interests. We appear quite different in our personality. To many people, she appears a bit shy and quiet, but once one gets to know her, one sees that she is incredibly clever and funny. We understand each other very well, often even without words, and we can get giggling fits like teenagers, which makes people, especially men, look at us strangely because they often do not have the slightest idea what we are laughing about. But we can also have very serious conversations about almost everything.
I have never had a friend like that in my life, and I am convinced that we will still be sitting there giggling over a cup of tea when we are eighty.

17. Why do you get up in the morning? What is your purpose in life? What is your passion? What makes you who you are? Explain.

This has changed dramatically during the last years. I had a very long time in which I did not feel well and was pessimistic about everything, even getting up in the morning. But now, due to hard work and also to the help of many people, I have overcome this. Now I am seeing that there are possibilities everywhere you look. Every person you meet can change you, everything you look at can change your perception of life. I have a great curiosity to see what life has in store for me.

18. Is there anything in your life that you just can’t live without? Would that answer be different in the Wizarding world? Explain.

I can't live without music. That sounds like a cliché, but I am a professional musician, and I need music. When I am just walking around, there are often bits and melodies circling in my head, and the ability to make music myself and touch other people by playing for them or by instructing them to make music themselves is something I could not imagine myself without.
Maybe I would find something else that would occupy this place in the wizarding world, but I doubt it. There must be amazing possibilities to make music with the help of magic, and I would be thrilled to discover them. I find it very telling that in the books we still have actual people making music and not just spells that create it. This shows that music can not be produced automatically, but needs a person with emotions to create it.

19. If you had to change one (and only one) thing about yourself (personality, not physical), what would it be? Why? Would you change more things if you could?

It doubt if this would work, because every trait of character influences the others in some way. But I think I would want to get rid of my tendency to think to much when it comes to relationships. I always try to analyse, to find out what other people think about me. This is not a great problem as long as it stays in control. But when it gets too much, it makes me seem reserved and prevents me from getting closer to new people.
No, I would not change other things. I am the person that I have come to be through my experiences. All changes that I am going to make in the rest of my life will take place naturally and slowly.

20. If you could go back and tell your eleven year-old self one message, what would it be? Why?

Difficult. I think I would tell myself to trust certain people more, as I always have had a problem with others. On the other hand I would tell myself to not let certain other people scare me and take my self-confidence away, as this is another thing I had problems with when I was that age. And I would tell myself to say what I am thinking without fear of what others might say.

21. If you were the Minister of Magic, what laws would you change? What laws would you add? What laws would you remove? Why?

I think that most laws make sense (although it is somewhat alarming that Mr. Weasley could change the law so he was allowed to continue playing with his toys).
What I would change, however, are those laws that discriminate non-wizards. This would include the law that seems to forbid the House-Elves to use wands. Also, I think that there might be laws that discriminate werewolves. I would try to ensure that they get better chances to live in society like every other witch and wizard (of course with certain precautions for the time of full moon). As I said before, I am strongly against racism and discrimination. So as Minister I would change all laws that encourage discrimination.

22. Do you enjoy debating controversial topics? Are you easily offended? Have you taken time to read the rules in the Userinfo? Do you think you’ll fit in with this group of people?

I like debating, not only on controversial topics. But I am not planning to get into serious conflicts. Although the persons I talk to in the internet are real and must therefore be treated like people in reality, the subjects we talk about here are not the most important things in life. Therefore it would be stupid to argue about them to the point where someone is really hurt and offended.
I am not easily offended. But if someone manages to do so (which takes a lot), I will not forgive them for a very long time either.
Yes, I read the rules. It would have been quite stupid not to do so.
Of course I do not know that much about you people. But I looked at some other applications and at the replies people made, and it seems as if I will have fun here.

23. If you were sorted into a house that you didn’t feel you belonged in, how would you react? Would you live with it and make the best of it? Would you leave the community? Do you plan to stay and participate in the sub-communities no matter what house you’re sorted into?

I have always had a certain idea which house I would have been in. However, I have learnt long ago that other people perceive you differently and perhaps even more accurately than you do yourself. Perhaps you see traits of my personality that I do not see that clearly myself and therefore put my in another house.
So no, I would not leave. There are certainly great people in every house, and I am looking forward to have fun with them.

24. What did you like about this application? What did you dislike about this application?

I liked this application. Compared to others I have seen it is well in the middle. Some want people to reproduce very much book-knowledge, others are getting very personal in their questions. This application makes a good balance.

25. And finally, how did you come across this community? If it was an ad from a current student or faculty member, please state their livejournal name and where the ad was placed. (That person will receive House Points for your efforts, so please try to remember.)

I was in an advertisement comm, looking for something else. Ad by chaotic_vanity is here.
Tags: ravenclaw
Subscribe

• Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 24 comments