1. You’re walking through Diagon Alley, and a tall man, wearing very expensive-looking robes, drops a small pouch of Galleons on the ground in front of you. He doesn’t seem to notice that he’s dropped the pouch, and it couldn’t be more than enough Galleons to get a few drinks at The Leaky Cauldron. What do you do? Why?
I call to him - "Excuse me sir, you've dropped something". Then I pick it up, I do this in hope that he will have heard me, I wouldn't want to pick it up first then call - in case he had wandered off and I'd have lost him. So then I would give him back his money, why? Because it is his, doesn't really take much thinking. I may comment on how nice his robes are, where did you get them I may say. In this time I would have done my good deed, so I would say "Okay then, Goodbye".
2. In his prime, Dumbledore was a very powerful wizard and a wonderful Headmaster. Do you think that the new Headmistress, Professor McGonagall, will make a good replacement? Why or why not? Who would you have chosen for your Deputy Headship? Why?
Of course Professor McGonagall will make a good replacement, who else is there? Umbridge? I think not. McGonagall is a wonderful and talented witch in her own right, she was also extremely loyal to Dumbledore and she has a great love for Hogwarts and all of the students. She looks out for their welfare and I would imagine she will sacrifice a lot to keep everyone safe now that Dumbledore has gone. She may not be as great as Dumbledore, but to be honest no one can really fill his shoes. Everyone knows that, and hopefully will respect anyone brave enough to attempt headmastering the school. She would be my first choice for Headship, definitely. As I said, there is no one else. She has just the right balance of attributes to make her great. She can be compassionate, yet intolerable when she needs to be. She can bend the rules when necessary, yet at other times regain her authority. Her years previously at the school have moulded her into a good figurehead which she can follow through into her role as Headmistress.
As for Deputy Headship, thats more tricky. I think someone that McGonagall gets on with, another teacher so the school is united. I think maybe Madame Pomfrey or Professor Flitwick. I think that McGonagall is the only one left now with a real sense of authority, she is the one who has the main significance. I don't think the Deputy Head post is going to be fulfilled as well as it has in previous years (with McGonagall at the reigns!)
3. The Marauders (James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter) clearly had some excellent magical talents (being unregistered Animagi, creating the Marauder’s Map, etc.). Which of the four Marauders do you feel was the most magical wizard in his prime? Why? Who do you feel was the most successful in life? Why?
Hmmm, for me - the books don't give that much away into how magical they all were in their prime, well more importantly, who was the best. They were all rather magical - James, Sirius and Remus put their magic to better use, obviously but I don't know who to pick out of those three. When I think about them separately the same sense of power comes from all of them and I can't distinguish who I think was the best.
As for who was the most successful, in literal terms I would say Remus - he made a life for himself even with being a werewolf and at his peak he became a Professor at Hogwarts. Pretty good going. However, I would say under his circumstances - James was the most successful. Successful in the fact that he did something really, really good. Sacrificing himself for Harry makes him a great man, that sole achievement overwhelms any of the other's achievements. His death also made Harry the boy he is today, which is a success in its own right.
4. Do you feel that Harry was right in using the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book for potions class (Do not take the spells into account in this question.)? Was Hermione right in telling him not to? What would you have done in Harry’s position? Why? What would you have done in Hermione’s position? Why?
YES! Of course he was right, it's what I would have done. I'm Harry, I pretty much suck at potions because the teacher I've had for five years hated me. I need to get through this class to even attempt to be an auror. Oh, here's a book that gives me tips on how to make potions. Have I got anything to lose? I've already experienced having zero marks, so no.
If you find a book like that, my instinct (and obviously Harry's) tells you to use it. You don't know why, but with some things you can just sense if they are dangerous and if they are not. If your instinct tells you to follow the book, you just do.
As for Hermione, I have to consider that she was not the one who discovered the book so she does not share the same instinct as Harry. I think that Hermione feels a need to protect her friends, so she finds the danger in everything as she did with this book. She warned him not to use it, just in case it was dangerous. If I was Hermione, I would have done the same thing.
However, once Harry had used it once, it was discovered that it was making no harm - just making Harry's potions a lot better than everyone else's (Hooray for Harry, eh). So, after this discovery, Hermione kept warning him not to use it. She knew it wasn't coming to any harm, so she wasn't right to tell him not to use it. She was obviously quite jealous and disheartened that Harry was beating her at potions, without having the raw talent. So, in this case, if I was Hermione I would have stopped telling him not to use it - but I would have been strained to be happy for Harry, as I would have known he wasn't really that good at it.
5. Would you have used the random spells written in the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book (You can't just say you know or could look up the Latin. Imagine that the spells were created in a language you'd never heard of.)? Why or why not?
Hmmm, I don't think I would have. I think I would have just stopped with the potions - sure, I would have known that the potions were decent, so logically the spells should be fine, but I wouldn't like to push it. The spells could be anything. Just because this person was good at potions, doesn't mean he/she was a good person. I wouldn't put that much trust in the book, especially from the description we get of it in the book. I imagine it to look really quite suspicious in its own right. No, I wouldn't use them.
6. Every day we make many choices. Are you comfortable with the choices you make (large or small), or are you more indecisive? Explain.
Yes, I am definitely comfortable with the choices I make. I work and live to my own conscience, so as long as I have a clear one - I'm fine with the choices I make. I think anyone can be indecisive, I certainly am - but there's levels. I'm more indecisive with day-to-day things that don't really matter that much e.g. what shall I have for lunch today?
With larger choices, that affect other people as well as myself - I consider them, I consider me and I consider the consequences of my choice. It doesn't take me that long though, as I've always lived like that - don't get me wrong in thinking I stand there for an age going through all the consequences of my actions in my head. It comes down to instinct again for me, I know when I've made the right choice.
7. Hermione created S.P.E.W. even though the other students disagreed with her ideas. Are you able to stand up for what you believe in, even if others mock you for your beliefs? Have your opinions (or outspokenness) gotten you into trouble? Explain.
Yes I think that I am able to stand up for what I believe in, I think in Hermione's case she was more frontal than I am. I don't go around blurting to everyone every opinion that I happen to have. I use my opinions in conversation when the right topic comes up, if I'm asked about something etc. In this way, I have not gotten into trouble for my outspokenness because I know how to express my opinions politely. I don't dye my hair bright pink and turn up to school and argue that I'm fighting for my right to freedom of expression. Having opinions and always sticking by them gains you respect, flaunting your "opinion" to everyone whenever a debatable topic arises and trying to shove it down other people's throats loses it.
8. Are there any courses at Hogwarts that you feel should be mandatory, regardless of a student’s chosen career path? Why or why not?
No, I think that magic is very different to our regular subjects where things are compulsory. As there are so many aspects to magic and you can do so many things I think that you should be able to choose with subjects you want to study. I think that in should be mandatory to do a certain amount of subjects though, not just restrict your learning to one or two. Especially in OWL year, so that if you are not sure where you want to go with magic, you can take up a broad range of subjects. The privilege of choosing your own curricculum should not be abused by people deciding their curricculum be taken up by one class.
9. If you were going to teach at Hogwarts, what course would you teach? Describe it for us.
I wouldn't create a different course, I think I would teach Arithmancy or Ancient Runes. I'm good at maths, and in my classes if the teacher's busy my friends ask me to explain stuff, so I've gotten accustomed to teaching maths. Ancient Runes just sounds interesting and I'm quite good at explaining languages to my friends aswell.
10. What class do you think you’d excel in at Hogwarts (take into account the teacher and their grading policies, class work, what you’re good at now, etc.)? Why?
Transfiguration. I know I've just said that I'm good at maths, so yes I think I would excel in Arithmancy too, but from reading the books I think I would do really well in Transfiguration. Professor McGonagall is a great teacher and I think that I can learn well with teachers like her. The overall subject would interest me, which would in turn motivate me to practice and do homework. McGonagall has always been fair, so I think that my grades would steadily improve in her lessons. I like to apply the skills that I have learnt, so the "start small and work upwards" approach she takes in her lessons would be good for me.
11. What would your schedule look like at Hogwarts? Would you request use of a time-turner to take loads of classes? Would you take the bare minimum? Explain.
My personal choice for classes would be this:
Defence Against the Dark Arts
History of Magic
and perhaps Care of Magical Creatures (just to please Hagrid)
12. Professor Trelawney tells you that the thing you are dreading will happen on the 23rd. What is the thing you are dreading? Do you believe her? How does this affect you? Explain.
Okay, first of all I consider dreading and fearing to mean two different things. Fearing is stuff like Voldemort is going to kill your family, but dreading is another thing - which is why what I'm going to say may sound shallow and trivial.
The thing I would be dreading is failing all of my exams, say it was exam season. I wouldn't believe her because I think she is nice, but definitely a fraud. However, it would affect me because I would get into panic mode and start worrying myself - what if I do fail? what will happen to me? im a total failure, etc. etc.
13. Would you bring a pet to Hogwarts? Remember, it can only be a rat, toad, cat, or owl. Which would you choose to bring? Why?
A cat, I've always wanted a cat, simpe really. I think a cat would be a great companion. It would be black and white and I would call it Felix! Gives me something to cuddle if I'm feeling down!
14. Would you rather have money or fame? Why? What would you do with the money/fame?
Money, please. Though I would have liked to earn it! I think that fame is more of a hindrance than money, and your privacy can be deeply violated. I would not like that at all - I am camera shy when its not around people I know. I don't want the whole world seeing me buying milk, thanks. I would spend the money, after all you can't take it with you once you die. I wouldn't be irrational though, I would spend it on useful things. Considering my age, I'd probably give it to my parents to safeguard and spend on what they need, I'd send bits and bobs to various different charities and other members of my family.
15. For each house, give an argument for both why you should be sorted into that House and why you should not be sorted into that House, regardless of your actual opinions of the Houses. Basically, explain what traits you have of each House, and which traits you don't have of each House. Do not just give an explanation of what each House is and isn't.
For: I'm a nice person and a good friend. I offer plenty of advice to my friends and I hate it when people disrespect them etc.
Against: I don't really like to fade into the background, I want to be a somebody. I can be secretly selfish, like not lend somebody something when they need it.. because I don't like them. And I won't really feel sorry.
For: Umm.. I'm determined? Thats about the only thing I can twist for a "For"..
Against: I'm not obnoxious, disrespectful, prejudice or generally evil. I'm not manipulative or think I'm superior to anybody and I have no desire to turn bad and rule the world.
For: I'm fiercely loyal to my friends and a great secret keeper. I can work my mind to problem solve and work things out quickly. I'm a great team player and can stick up for the "little guy".
Against: I don't like to break the rules deliberately. I feel guilty when I get told off by a teacher (unless I don't like them at all)
For: I'll say it as I've spent my whole life trying to deny it to everybody I've ever met, I'm clever. I like to use my intelligence to win an argument, but I don't like to put people down. I love to learn and know that I do not know everything even if I get top marks in class.
Against: I don't like revising, or studying endlessly. Its hard for me to put in a real effort with work unless I really enjoy it (aka. i hate science)
16. If you were participating in the Tri-Wizard Tournament, who would be the one you’d miss most? Why are they so special to you? Explain.
My friends & family, especially if the tournament was being held abroad. Simple really, they mean everything to me.
17. Why do you get up in the morning? What is your purpose in life? What is your passion? What makes you who you are? Explain.
What is your purpose in life haha, bit sinister isn't it?
I get up in the morning because I am alive and healthy, because I
18. Is there anything in your life that you just can’t live without? Would that answer be different in the Wizarding world? Explain.
I couldn't live without my family, and friends. Basically, the feeling of belonging and unity. The feeling that your needed. It wouldn't be any different in the wizarding world because that longing would still be there. For me, if I wasn't needed - why did I exist? Theres only so long I could stand to be in my own company.
19. If you had to change one (and only one) thing about yourself (personality, not physical), what would it be? Why? Would you change more things if you could?
I would make myself a more outgoing person. I'm not saying that I'm not, but I wish that I could be a little more extrovert, so that I can make a first impression of myself with people more quickly, so people could get a glimpse of me without having to be around me for a whole day beforehand. That would be all, I think. I quite like who I am.
20. If you could go back and tell your eleven year-old self one message, what would it be? Why?
I'd say: Be more confident. Trust and believe in yourself. Don't be scared, I know how you turn out and it's okay!
21. If you were the Minister of Magic, what laws would you change? What laws would you add? What laws would you remove? Why?
If I were the Minister of Magic, I would resign. Yes, I want to make a difference in the world. But being a minister has too much responsibility as I have seen from the books. No way on earth would I want to be Minister, I'd prefer someone else to make up some laws and I would like to be the one recommending changes or agreeing/disagreeing with them. Too much pressure, way too much pressure. I would panic in that situation.
22. Do you enjoy debating controversial topics? Are you easily offended? Have you taken time to read the rules in the Userinfo? Do you think you’ll fit in with this group of people?
Yes/No/Yes/Yes! don't worry I am going to elaborate!
I love debating controversial topics, because those are the ones I like to research and create a decent opinion on, even if I'm on the fence - I like to know my facts and share what I think. I like to hear other people's point of view. I'm not easily offended at all, because I'm comfortable with myself. I can never get offended on the internet, because I know that these people will never meet me and I'll never meet them. The people who constantly bash everyone are doing it for the sake of it, and I know that and I'm fine with it. Those anonymous posters make me laugh. I've read the rules, very satisfactory they are and I think I will fit in with these people - we all love Harry Potter, after all (get in there!) and you seem a very intelligent bunch.
23. If you were sorted into a house that you didn’t feel you belonged in, how would you react? Would you live with it and make the best of it? Would you leave the community? Do you plan to stay and participate in the sub-communities no matter what house you’re sorted into?
I don't know what house I belong in, so I'll be happy with anything. I look forward to seeing what kind of impression I have made on everyone. I will not leave, unless you ask me to. And I very much plan on staying and participating - that whats this community is all about after all. I look forward to meeting people in the same house as me, we'll probably be similar kinds of people.
24. What did you like about this application? What did you dislike about this application?
I liked that it required thinking and deep explanation. I like writing away. I didn't dislike anything really, maybe the question about the Marauders, because I didn't really have a solid answer.
25. And finally, how did you come across this community? If it was an ad from a current student or faculty member, please state their livejournal name and where the ad was placed. (That person will receive House Points for your efforts, so please try to remember.)
I came here after seeing an ad in honestlyronald posted by m1s7resss
Thanks for reading my application! ♥