1. You’re walking through Diagon Alley, and a tall man, wearing very expensive-looking robes, drops a small pouch of Galleons on the ground in front of you. He doesn’t seem to notice that he’s dropped the pouch, and it couldn’t be more than enough Galleons to get a few drinks at The Leaky Cauldron. What do you do? Why? </b>Sadly, I would probably just walk on by as though I hadn't seen anything. I tend to try and avoid people, in general, and especially do not like talking to complete strangers, even if I am performing a good deed. If I was with a friend, though, I would tell them about it, and would have them return the pouch, instead of me having to return it to the man. I always seem a little bit nervous around people who are different from me, or people that I know nothing about. So, the tall man with rich looking robes, would probably be robbed of a pouch of galleons, unless someone else were to return them, because I know that I would not be able to bring myself to face the man.
2. In his prime, Dumbledore was a very powerful wizard and a wonderful Headmaster. Do you think that the new Headmistress, Professor McGonagall, will make a good replacement? Why or why not? Who would you have chosen for your Deputy Headship? Why? I think Professor McGonagall will make a good replacement, but I don't think that she will be as good of a headmaster as Dumbledore was. Dumbledore always seemed to have everything under control, he was able to protect the school very well, and I just don't thing that Professor McGonagall is as powerful as Dumbledore. I think it would be a wise decision to make Remus Lupin the headmaster. He is very wise, and seems to know what is the best choice to make. Plus, he has many friends who could help him in the times of need. The only problem is that he is a werewolf, and I don’t think people would consent to having their children going to a school that’s run by a werewolf (especially if they were like the Malfoys).
3. The Marauders (James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter) clearly had some excellent magical talents (being unregistered Animagi, creating the Marauder’s Map, etc.). Which of the four Marauders do you feel was the most magical wizard in his prime? Why? Who do you feel was the most successful in life? Why? I think the most magical wizard of the marauders was probably James, because whenever you hear mention of the foursome, it was always James who seemed to be casting a spell. I think that Lupin was definitely the most successful for sheer lack of competition. James didn't really live long enough to be successful (but some could argue that having Harry as a son is pretty successful). Peter ended up working for voldemort, which is not good. Sirius, spent 13 years in Azkaban, went into hiding, was still running from the ministry, and then died (or at least seemed to have died). So Lupin would be the only reasonable choice, in my mind.
4. Do you feel that Harry was right in using the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book? Was Hermoine right in telling him not to? What would you have done in Harry’s position? Why? What would you have done in Hermoine’s position? Why? I think Harry was right in using the Half Blood Prince's potions book. If there is a better, or easier way of doing something then you should do it, and not be troubled by whether or not the person who wrote the helpful hints was really out to help or to destroy people. I don't think that Hermoine was right for telling Harry not to use the book. I think it was right that she warn him about the book, but not to continually bother him about it. If I was in Harry's position, I would use the helpful hints, but I would still study hard, so that I could do the potions without the help. If something looked strange to me, such as something that would sound evil, like the "sectumsempra" spell, then I just would avoid using the spell. If I was in Hermoine's position, I would probably ask Harry for some helpful hints as well, instead of badgering him about how the book might be evil. But I would definitely try to find out who the Half Blood Prince was.
5. Would you have used the random spells written in the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book (You can't just say you know or could look up the Latin. Imagine that the spells were created in a language you'd never heard of.)? Why or why not? I would try out the spells, but I wouldn't try them on humans, just in case they could kill someone or something along those lines. But I would use them on animals first (and I would hope that they weren't an anima Gus). Because while, I would want to know what the spells did, I wouldn’t want to end up killing someone and then being sent to Azkaban. But I would definitely use them if they could help me, whatever works with me is fine, as long as it’s not illegal and I won’t be degrading myself by using it.
6. Every day we make many choices. Are you comfortable with the choices you make (large or small), or are you more indecisive? Explain. Yes, on a large scale I think that most of the decisions I make were at least well thought out, even if they weren’t the right one’s. All of my decisions were probably made to help me, which kind of bothers me a little bit, but I don’t think they’ve ever hurt anyone, so I went and made those choices anyway. Sometimes I can see myself having a little trouble with being indecisive, because no matter what I chose, I always have to give something up, and that really bothers me. But it was all for the best, so I can’t really say I’m not happy with my choices.
7. Hermoine created S.P.E.W. even though the other students disagreed with her ideas. Are you able to stand up for what you believe in, even if others mock you for your beliefs? Have your opinions (or outspokenness) gotten you into trouble? Explain. Most of the time I’m able to stand up for things that I believe in. But sometimes I just have to step back and say “Whoa, this is not gonna end well, I’ll never be able to change anything like this. Plus, this involves too much self humiliation for me.” I actually have gotten into trouble for an opinion I had on the rights of kids in school to be more outspoken. At my school, we’re not aloud to wear all black, I’m not Goth or anything, but I just thought it was wrong that they can just tell us what to do and expect us not to say anything about it. So I started a petition and took all the blame for what happened when it was found. My friends got off scotch free, but I was somehow able to weasel my way out of getting into too much trouble.
8. Are there any courses at Hogwarts that you feel should be mandatory, regardless of a student’s chosen career path? Why or why not? I think that given the circumstances, defense against the dark arts should be a mandatory class. Whether people want to recognize it or not, Voldemort is back and he’s not going away without a fight. Everyone should be trained to know how to defend themselves if someone was to attack them.
9. If you were going to teach at Hogwarts, what course would you teach? Describe it for us. I would start up a class called “Mysteries of the Ancient Past” in my class we would try to investigate certain things like, what happened to Atlantis? S there any way to uncover the dead civilization of Nubia? Where are the rest of Voldemort’s horcruxes at? It would just be stuff like that, it would also be hands on, so that the students could really get into their studies.
10. What class do you think you’d excel in at Hogwarts (take into account the teacher and their grading policies, class work, what you’re good at now, etc.)? Why? If Lupin was teaching defense against the dark arts, I would definitely excel in that. When it comes to learning about things that pertain to the dark arts, I am so involved. Plus, he seemed like the kind of teacher who would help you through something if you didn’t understand it.
11. What would your schedule look like at Hogwarts? Would you request use of a time-turner to take loads of classes? Would you take the bare minimum? Explain. I would probably be attempting to take every class out there, defense against the dark arts, potions, astronomy, herbology, ancient runes, muggle studies, care of magical creatures, history of magic, charms. I wouldn’t take divination, even if Trelawney wasn’t teaching it, I just don’t think it’s my thing. I would definitely request a time-turner, it would make it a lot easier on me, and I would be able to learn as much as I possibly could.
12. Professor Trelawney tells you that the thing you are dreading will happen on the 23rd. What is the thing you are dreading? Do you believe her? How does this affect you? Explain. The thing I am dreading is that all of a sudden, my friends will turn on me, and I will be completely alone. That’s what would scare me the most. I would probably not believe her, because I’m on good terms with my friends, but I would definitely make sure that I was nice to all of them. This would affect me, like I would probably spend a lot more time with my friends, just in case, and I would try not to be alone, just being alone would make me think about it. I definitely do not wasn’t to think about it.
13. Would you bring a pet to Hogwarts? Remember, it can only be a rat, toad, cat, or owl. Which would you choose to bring? Why? I would bring an owl. They are very wise, and they would come in handy if I needed to contact somebody. Plus they seem like friendly creatures, who are very warm and affectionate to their owners.
14. Would you rather have money or fame? Why? What would you do with the money/fame? I would rather have fame, with fame I could really make a difference in people’s attitudes, because they would listen to me. Plus, with fame people would treat me better and I wouldn’t be kicked around so much. If I had fame, I would convince people that the time to act against Voldemort is now, I would probably get killed. But it would be worth it if I could get people to come to grips with reality.
15. For each house, give an argument for both why you should be sorted into that House and why you should not be sorted into that House, regardless of your actual opinions of the Houses. Basically, explain what traits you have of each House, and which traits you don't have of each House. Do not just give an explanation of what each House is and isn't.
For: I’m very thoughtful and compassionate, sometimes to the extreme. I really think about the problems that people are having, and usually try to help them in whatever way I can, most of the time, I’m just a shoulder waiting to be cried on, unless I want to help them vent, then it becomes fun! I’m also a loyal friend, and I’ll stick up for them.
Against: While I am a loyal friend, I have been known to “forget” about them, or simply dismiss them when they’re acting stupid (or at least in my opinion). Plus, sometimes I just have to say “Look, I’m sorry you’ve got problems, but, so do I, and right now, I can’t help you.” So I guess you could say, my compassion only goes so far. Plus, if I’m correct (sometimes I’m not) I think Hufflepuffs are usually friendly to people they don’t know, which is definitely not me. It’s not that I’m evil or anything, it’s just that, like I said before, I have a problem conversing with strangers, and I’m not all that warm and friendly to people I’m not comfortable talking to.
For: Ok, I’m cunning, and pretty manipulative, if I really want to, I can make anyone see eye-to-eye with me (or at least make them back down). I know which way to twist to get what I want, as the saying goes, I know all the right strings to pull. Plus, I’m sort of shy to tell people this, but there are times when I really want something, that I don’t care who I have to step on to get it!
Against: I’m not really all for that “We art better than thou” stuff. I’m not into all of that, pure-bloods are better than everyone else, and there’s nothing you can do about it except watch out. I definitely don’t think that muggles are to be ashamed of, I guess that’s the only reason though.
For: When I set my mind on something, I’m gonna go for it, no matter what anyone says. Plus, if I’m in the mood, I’ll stand up to anyone, even the President of the United states, maybe even Dumbledore!
Against: My courage only goes so far, and I’m not one to take risks. No Way! There’s nothing that could make me step far enough out of my comfort zone to take a big risk, unless I was really convinced it was the right thing to do.
For: I’m all for intelligence, I get good grades, and work independently to get my answers.
Against: I might be all for intellect and that good stuff, but I hate having to think, I actually have a saying that it’s overrated. Especially for fun, I would not want to have to continually analyze even when I want to have fun, It just doesn’t interest me!
16. If you were participating in the Tri-Wizard Tournament, who would be the one you’d miss most? Why are they so special to you? Explain. My mom, she can make me so mad sometimes, but through it all she’s always stuck with me. I can always count on her to back me up, and to be there in the morning when I wake up, and still there when I’m sleeping (even if she’s already asleep).
17. Why do you get up in the morning? What is your purpose in life? What is your passion? What makes you who you are? Explain. Sometimes I don’t know how I get up in the morning, I’m still looking for my purpose in life, that’s a search that will go on for a long time. I’m passionate about love, definitely, I’m not one of those Cinderella lovers or anything, I’m not even expecting a “happily ever after.” It’s just the thought that somewhere out there is a guy who I’ll fall in love with, and it will be real love. The kind of love that would make you want to give your life up for that person. My friends definitely make me who I am, plus the fact that while I hate thinking about intellectual stuff, my head is always up in the clouds. I actually make up and play out stories in my head, so that really defines me.
18. Is there anything in your life that you just can’t live without? Would that answer be different in the Wizarding world? Explain. I could not live without my computer (ok well I probably could, but life would not be the same). I think that in the wizarding world, I’d have a lot better things to do than be on my computer all day long, so I’ll just make this straight-forward. In the wizarding world I wouldn’t be able to live without magic, that’s the whole point. What if all of a sudden you lost your powers, how awful would that be.
19. If you had to change one (and only one) thing about yourself (personality, not physical), what would it be? Why? Would you change more things if you could? I would definitely have to learn to be patient with people, I’m really bad about putting up with people. I usually like to be alone, so when I’m with myself or all of the other people in my head, I understand things perfectly. But when people are around me, and I try to explain myself to them, I go crazy, they just don’t get it. I wouldn’t want to change anything else about me, I like who I am.
20. If you could go back and tell your eleven year-old self one message, what would it be? Why? Middle school isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Yeah, it can be cool and you have more freedom, but people are mean in Middle-School, just watch out!
21. If you were the Minister of Magic, what laws would you change? What laws would you add? What laws would you remove? Why? I wouldn’t remove any laws, simply because I don’t know the laws too well. I might change the whole thing about under-age wizardry, I’d make it more understanding, as long as nobody got hurt and muggles didn’t go telling everyone about magic, you shouldn’t really get in trouble.
22. Do you enjoy debating controversial topics? Are you easily offended? Have you taken time to read the rules in the Userinfo? Do you think you’ll fit in with this group of people? I LOVE to debate controversial topics, and I don’t get easily offended because if I do, it’s only for a second and then I realize, these people are entitled to their opinions too. I have read the rules in the user info. I think I should fit in with this nice group of people, because I can pretty much get along with anyone who is willing to take the time to join a Harry Potter website.
23. If you were sorted into a house that you didn’t feel you belonged in, how would you react? Would you live with it and make the best of it? Would you leave the community? Do you plan to stay and participate in the sub-communities no matter what house you’re sorted into? I might be a little disappointed but I wouldn’t leave the community, I’d just have to live with it, there was a reason I was sorted into that house, and that’s that. I would participate in sub-communities no matte what house I was sorted into.
24. Would you change this application in any way? If so, how? Why or why not? No, I think it covers pretty much all of the questions that someone would ask if they were gonna get to know you, so it’s ok.
25. And finally, how did you come across this community? If it was an ad from a current student or faculty member, please state their livejournal name and where the ad was placed. (That person will receive House Points for your efforts, so please try to remember.) I really don’t know, it was a really long time ago