bunny made of rice (mochibuni) wrote in _belong,
bunny made of rice
mochibuni
_belong

German Gummi Bears, American Chinese Food, Bagels, French Bread, etc...

Name: Cali

1. You’re walking through Diagon Alley, and a tall man, wearing very expensive-looking robes, drops a small pouch of Galleons on the ground in front of you. He doesn’t seem to notice that he’s dropped the pouch, and it couldn’t be more than enough Galleons to get a few drinks at The Leaky Cauldron. What do you do? Why?

I would pick up the pouch and return it to him. Not only because it is the right thing to do, but also because I'd hope others would do the same if I were the one to have dropped my money. Also, just because the man looks well off doesn't mean he is. Many people who were once wealthy often continue to dress and carry on as if they still were. Many people also dress and act a certain way to give a good impression or, say, an edge when going in for a job interview, for example.

Even if the man was well off, who's to say that the pouch isn't actually loaded and that he may be off to donate it or to buy supplies for those unable to properly care for themselves? Plus he has probably earned his money and maybe even worked harder for it that most of us would believe. Even if it did come from an inheritance, someone worked hard for that money and had the right to pass it on whom ever they had chosen.

Also, even if the man is incredibly well off, there really isn't any justifiable reason to be prejudice against him because of that. I'm not going to refuse to extend some common courtesy because I decided that the man doesn't look like he will miss the few Galleons he had dropped. Really, it isn't my place to pass that kind of judgment.

2. In his prime, Dumbledore was a very powerful wizard and a wonderful Headmaster. Do you think that the new Headmistress, Professor McGonagall, will make a good replacement? Why or why not? Who would you have chosen for your Deputy Headship? Why?

I think we would all agree that it would be hard to even adequately replace Dumbledore because of his wisdom, knowledge, and understanding that he showed in every decision and action he preformed. I believe McGonagall is a worthy replacement, mostly because Dumbledore appointed her to care for his students and faculty in times when he couldn't. He obviously believes that she posses the ability to protect what he deeply cares for. Since Dumbledore usually has the best judgment in the Harry Potter universe, it's hard for me to go against his opinion.

Aside from that, McGonagall has the ability to pass judgment without being biased. She is most suitable to pass out punishments fairly amongst all the students of Hogwarts. She adheres to the rules and doesn't play favorites...except for the time she caught Harry flying and asked him to join the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Though this may show that she may not be completely trust worthy to enforce the rules, it also shows that Minerva has the ability to assess situations on their severity and show some compassion. It also shows that she does allow herself to enjoy frivolous activities because we all know she wanted Harry to be Seeker so her house could win the cup.

It's hard for me to chose a Harry Potter character to fill such an important role. Deputy Headship is like being a godfather or godmother, I wouldn't entrust that to any of the Harry Potter characters because none of them are three dimensional enough to thoroughly know except for Harry. I certainly wouldn't want Harry because he's much too emotional and impulsive to be able to care for so many. I don't think he could or wants to handle such a responsibility. He can barely keep his head just by being the Boy Who Lived.

I suppose if I absolutely had to chose, it would be Dumbledore because he's the wise old man figure in stereotypical fantasy fiction that provides guidance and an unimaginable amount of wisdom to all that he knows. Of course, that is if I'm able to chose without the restraints of story events and progression. Also assuming that this question doesn't strike Dumbledore off the list of characters to chose from.

3. The Marauders (James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter) clearly had some excellent magical talents (being unregistered Animagi, creating the Marauder’s Map, etc.). Which of the four Marauders do you feel was the most magical wizard in his prime? Why? Who do you feel was the most successful in life? Why?

This is a hard question to answer. I think James and Sirius were the most magical from the start, but part of me wants to say Sirius was more magical in his prime just because he had the ability to freely use magic without the restraints of, oh, Lily. From what we have read of Lily, we know she's a bit bossy like Hermione. It wouldn't surprise me if Lily was known to keep James in check. Since I doubt Sirius ever had a girl like Lily and his friends never did seem to have much control over him, Sirius had the most potential to explore his magical abilities.

Then again, Remus is a magical creature and would probably win by default.

I think Peter is the most successful of the four. He isn't dead and is more popular, well off, and respected than Remus. He's accomplished everything he set out to do. The one thing that can be said about Peter is that he is ambitious and that trait has paid off for him, even though he chose a path that we generally frown upon. He successfully became part of the most popular group of boys in school, he handed Harry and his parents over to Voldemort, and eventually became Voldemort's golden child because he sought after and found Voldemort, then brought him back to life. Peter has put himself at the top of Voldemort's list which has probably given him a bit of power and influence. That is precisely what Peter has always wanted. Not to be in control of many and all powerful, but to be the right hand man and an irreplaceable figure to those he served. He has power by association and doesn't have to deal with the many problems Voldemort or James and Sirius had to deal with.

4. Do you feel that Harry was right in using the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book? Was Hermione right in telling him not to? What would you have done in Harry’s position? Why? What would you have done in Hermione’s position? Why?

Harry wasn't right to use the Half-Blood Prince's potions book, but he's also human. I can understand why he decided to keep it and why he had used the Prince's suggestions when he first found it. It's hard not to take suggestions written in your own text book and it's even harder to give away a tool that could help you pass a class. Really, if Harry had used the Prince's book as a check against his own potions knowledge, Harry would have learned a great deal more on the subject.

That is, of course, after he had found the Prince's script safe to adhere to. Harry was too reckless and stubborn for his own good to be administrating suggestions from a phantom figure. I remember have text books that were written in and some of them were horrible wrong. Fortunately for me, writing down a wrong answer and losing points on a written homework assignment is much safer than Harry hexing others or trying to make a potion with different methods than described in the instructions. He could have exploded

Hermione was right to tell Harry not to use the book because he was using it to cheat (I doubt Harry could remember much from the time he spent in Potions) and there was no guarantee that the text was safe. Considering the fiasco of Riddle's diary, I don't find Hermione's cautious attitude to be anything but smart. However, I find it unfortunate that Hermione couldn't have suggested a better usage of the book, especially since she's avidly trying to expand her knowledge.

If I were Harry I would have used the book too. I see no reason to pass up the opportunity to learn something new, even more so since potions is a necessity for the job I would be pursuing (Aura). I think it's best to try and be as efficient and good at a career job as you can. However, I wouldn't have used it as a crutch and use it to breeze through the course without learning a thing like Harry had.

If I were Hermione I would have swallowed my pride a little bit and used the book as a reference for the pursuit of knowledge.

5. Would you have used the random spells written in the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book (You can't just say you know or could look up the Latin. Imagine that the spells were created in a language you'd never heard of.)? Why or why not?

Well...I suppose curiosity would have gotten the best of me and I probably would have tried some of the spells out. Though I like to think I would have used them on a pillow first to see if they were safe rather than testing them on a Slytherin.

I know the question says I can't say "look up Latin" and that they're created in a language I've never heard of...but I probably would have tried to find a similar or matching language before trying the spells out. A little research never hurt.

6. Every day we make many choices. Are you comfortable with the choices you make (large or small), or are you more indecisive? Explain.

Eck, I'm rather indecisive. I can easily decide what I want to wear, eat, do, and when to go to the bathroom...but when it comes to deciding what goes down in a social activity, I'd prefer that everyone makes an active effort to chose. Normally my boyfriend likes to stick me with "well, I'm not choosing, so you have to" and it drives me crazy because I don't like making decisions for other people.

Big decisions I contemplate for hours because I don't want to rush to a conclusion on something important.

However, when it comes to any kind of a project, I usually take leadership because I tend to like efficiency and perfection...and I'm usually the only one who actually cares to know what's going on.

7. Hermione created S.P.E.W. even though the other students disagreed with her ideas. Are you able to stand up for what you believe in, even if others mock you for your beliefs? Have your opinions (or outspokenness) gotten you into trouble? Explain.

I am very firm in my beliefs. In no way do I try to push my opinions on others, but I have no qualms in defending myself or explaining my ideals when someone asks me. I'm not very outspoken with beliefs I feel strongly about because they're too important to me to be able to flash around. However, I recently came out this year with a topic very close to my heart and have become more active about it. Fortunately, my friends have been very supportive so I'm not as scared to talk about it.

However, I am outspoken when I think I'm right or if I think something is wrong. I have gotten in trouble for speaking my mind or sharing my opinion, regardless of how civil and polite I had been. I don't know if those instances really count as getting myself in trouble (most of them had to do with butting heads with my parents at an age where they had no control over me), except for maybe this one time where I had given my opinion on a subjective question on a test and my instructor marked me down because it wasn't the same as hers.

For the most part, my opinions do not get me in trouble because I present them in a situation where it's okay for me to speak about them. When I do say something that I don't think can be refuted is when I'm managing at work. Heh.

8. Are there any courses at Hogwarts that you feel should be mandatory, regardless of a student’s chosen career path? Why or why not?

Muggle Studies, the History of Magic, and Defense Against the Dark Arts would be the subjects that I think should be mandatory at Hogwarts. Muggle Studies because the Wizarding World cannot escape the Muggle world and all wizards and witches should be familiar with the other large community that they share the world with. Understanding breeds tolerance, something that desperately needs to be practiced with all the prejudice running rapidly within the Wizarding community.

The History of Magic because I think history is important. I believe we all need to know our past so we can have a firm understanding of humans as we are now. To understand what influenced us, what happened to cause the certain sentiments and trends that are happening, and the origins of the very magic wizards and witches use. "Knowing is half the battle", you could say.

Finally, Defense Against the Dark Arts because the magical community needs to be able to defend itself and others. Not just Voldemort and his Death Eaters, but how to defend against violent creatures and ghastly spells. For some reason, Defense Against the Dark Arts makes me think of driver's ed and the years that our parents and mentors spend teaching us not to eat paste.

9. If you were going to teach at Hogwarts, what course would you teach? Describe it for us.

I would either teach Art or a class similar to the one I took in high school called Leadership.

I love art and I am very passionate about the subject. All forms of art are intriguing and a great emotional outlet for all to use. I would probably teach the subject differently for each year. I'd probably do the hands on fun stuff of different types of media for the first years, then do hands on and history for the following years until fifth year. Six and seventh years I'd probably give them a sort of independent study where I allowed them to follow a certain aspect of art for a year, including research and constructing some sort of model, as well as giving a presentation.

Leadership...I loved Leadership in high school. The class is basically a way to help students deal with peer pressure and accepting who they are. I would probably teach it the same way my instructor had by reinforcing students to live with integrity and to have each class create a support group for each other. Each class would have a mix of years to enhance the daily discussions and bring a broader view and experience for each student attending. Most of the time there would be activities and discussion to promote open mindedness and allow each student to re-evaluate themselves and how they are currently choosing to live. The other part would probably be support and promoting inter-house unity.

As for an existing class...I would take over History of Magic because I'm determined to make history fun for those poor students who fall asleep in that class every day. My favorite instructors were Social Studies teaches and I'd probably follow their example by including activities and hilarious videos (in this case, probably stories because electronics aren't allowed since they don't work on Hogwarts grounds). I think history is meant to be interesting and intriguing, I'd hope to provide that for the students.

10. What class do you think you’d excel in at Hogwarts (take into account the teacher and their grading policies, class work, what you’re good at now, etc.)? Why?

I would probably excel at Muggle Studies because I'm a Muggle. Ha. No, uhm, probably History of Magic even though the professor is boring. I have a fondness for history and many of the useless pieces of knowledge that I pick up while studying it.

Part of me wants to say Potions because it reminds me of baking and cooking, both I like to do in my spare time. However, it also reminds me of Science and science classes completely disinterest me to death.

Other than that, I'm having a hard time thinking of the potential classes to take at Hogwarts. Anything English like, Art, or involving an aspect of History (Mythology, for example) would immediately spark my interest and I would probably do well at. I usually do well in English classes because I enjoy reading and writing...and I've already expressed my like for art and history so I won't get into that again...

11. What would your schedule look like at Hogwarts? Would you request use of a time-turner to take loads of classes? Would you take the bare minimum? Explain.

I'd probably be somewhere in the middle. I'd take what was necessary and include subjects that interest me as a reward for getting through, say, Potions. I'm not much of an over achiever, but I do like learning. However, I have a hard time staying focused on all my classes when I have too much going on. Usually I can balance a fair amount of classes before I start forgetting what day of the week it is.

12. Professor Trelawney tells you that the thing you are dreading will happen on the 23rd. What is the thing you are dreading? Do you believe her? How does this affect you? Explain.

I am dreading...nothing. That's a nice change! So I wouldn't believe Trelawney, but it may effect me into believing the possibility of something bad happening on the 23rd. I think any time someone tells us something bad is going to happen, regardless of whether we believe it or not, it's always pulling in the back of our mind.

So...possibly...it would result in me dreading the 23rd. Trelawney is a tricky old bat.

13. Would you bring a pet to Hogwarts? Remember, it can only be a rat, toad, cat, or owl. Which would you choose to bring? Why?

I would bring my cat, Bowser. He's more or less my animal companion. I got him when he was two months old and spent so much time with him that he's developed a mother complex. He's spent a great deal of time being packed around in my sweatshirt and comforting me during my bad times when no one else could.

14. Would you rather have money or fame? Why? What would you do with the money/fame?

I would rather have money because it would solve some of my future problems and inconveniences. I would use the money to pay my bills, buy the necessities, make it so my boyfriend and I are little less stressed out concerning our finances, find a new place to rent or buy a house, buy our dog the biggest rawhide chew I could find, and lots of other frivolous things that would look pretty.

15. For each house, give an argument for both why you should be sorted into that House and why you should not be sorted into that House, regardless of your actual opinions of the Houses. Basically, explain what traits you have of each House, and which traits you don't have of each House. Do not just give an explanation of what each House is and isn't.

a. Hufflepuff
For: I'm honest and modest. I like being part of a group effort rather than a solitary one. Also, I'm not always very serious. I like being goofy and the ability to just flow with life. I like making jokes and, yes, I do enjoy adult humor. If I could, I would have posted this with my conception of Hagrid icon. I've always seen Hufflepuffs as being able to be at ease with themselves and being able to laugh at times when tension is incredibly thick. The house always makes me think of smiles. Also, I don't like to attract attention. When in public, I'm most at ease with a group.

Against: I'm not a follower and I'm not always content with things being just the way they are. I can be very serious and I'm determined to shape my life and live by my rules. I'm over analytical which causes a lot of stress for me, so I'm not as mellow as people think.

b. Slytherin
For: I'm outspoken and proud of who I am. If I think I can get a project or an essay done better on my own rather than with a group, I'll do it on my own or be very persistent with my ideas. I am sarcastic and sometimes a little cold. I believe you reap what you sow and if someone makes a bad decision and is faced with bad consequences, it is hard for me to feel sorry for them. I can be a bit of a loner because I do enjoy doing things my way. I can also be snarky and mock those who annoy me.

Against: I do my best to be considerate of others and the center of my life isn't me. When I am with friends, I enjoy it because I like the sense of comradely and I'm usually a team player. I like giving advice and helping others. Regardless of how it may sound, I'm not always about perfection. I am a very lazy person, I enjoy spending most of my day in bed if I can get away with it.

c. Gryffindor
For: I have a strong sense of morals and opinions, I believe they make me who I am. People have a hard time convincing me that I'm wrong. I like justice and seeing good prevail. I like positively influencing others. I take leadership when I see fit or when nobody else will. I'm probably also too persistent at times.

Against: I'm not blinded by my convictions and press my beliefs on others. I don't believe my way is the right way for everyone and I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I'm not out to drastically change the world in some explosive way. I'm only brave when I have to be and I've ceased believing I can protect all the people I care about emotionally. I've also learned that sometimes you have to give up and that's okay.

d. Ravenclaw
For: I've been told that I'm smart and I've always excelled in most of my classes. I enjoy learning and obtaining obscure knowledge even though I should be spending my time on something more productive. When I set out to do something, I make a plan in my head and I try to be precise. I don't like making mistakes and can be very anal. I like to think that I'm witty. I'm also a bit of a homebody. I like to think things through and I'm a bit of a realist. Er...I've also been told by people and tagboards that I'm too wordy (hence the large amounts of my pointless babel you've been reading).

Against: I'm not a perfectionist nor meticulous about anything on a day to day basis. I only learn about things that interest me and become distracted easily. As much as I like being home, I also like going out and being a bit insane. I don't think I'm very refined or classy (I've given up on wearing matching clothes) and I don't rely solely on knowledge when making a decision. I do make a lot of emotion based choices. Oh, and I'm not very good at being witty.

16. If you were participating in the Tri-Wizard Tournament, who would be the one you’d miss most? Why are they so special to you? Explain.

I would miss my boyfriend Marshall the most. He and I instantly fell in love and we've gone through a lot together in our short year and a half. I believe he is my soul mate and the one I will spend the rest of my life with. He's also my best friend and my family. I miss him like mad when I'm not with him, even though we live together. I suppose that's probably a result of him spending the first six months of our relationship in Iraq. Those six months have put our relationship into perspective and we don't take our time together for granted.

Or we're both really needy. That's always a possibility.

17. Why do you get up in the morning? What is your purpose in life? What is your passion? What makes you who you are? Explain.

I get up in the morning because I have to. I have responsibilities that need to be taken care of despite how much I'd like to stay in bed. If it's my day off, I usually get up because Marshall pesters me until I do.

My purpose in life is to be happy. That sounds selfish, but the things that make me happy benefit others as well as myself. My goal in life is to positively influence as many people as I can in any way possible. Just listening to someone leaves quite an impact on that person. My dream is to be an animator or open my own store with Marshall that caters to showcasing budding artists of all media types by selling and promoting their work. Of course, I want to sell my art and hobbies there as well.

My passion is loving life. I believe I was given a second chance to live when my birth mother decided to actually have me (I had a complicated birth). By all means, I should be dead. My birth mother showed me compassion before I was even born and I don't intend to take my life for granted.

What makes me who I am is because I accepted myself at an early age, a time when most people can't. I've been blessed with a second chance and encounters that have opened my eyes and changed my perspective. I may be opinionated, but I've developed my ideals and I've stuck with them. I don't believe in blindly following something and supporting it.

18. Is there anything in your life that you just can’t live without? Would that answer be different in the Wizarding world? Explain.

I can't live without Marshall. I know that sounds terrible and selfish of me after I've just talked about not taking my life for granted, but he's the center of my life and my happiness. I've found someone to share my life with and he makes me very happy.

My answer wouldn't be different in the wizarding world.

19. If you had to change one (and only one) thing about yourself (personality, not physical), what would it be? Why? Would you change more things if you could?

I suppose not being so stubborn. I'm usually not very flexible unless I have to be and I have a hard time backing down or admitting when I'm wrong. All though there are some instances when being stubborn is a good thing (we all need to put our foot down and not budge sometimes), I suppose I would make people's lives a lot easier if I was less stubborn.

There are other things I would change for the sake of my sanity and perhaps for the sake of others as well. I would think it would be beneficial for me to be less lazy and more easily motivated.

20. If you could go back and tell your eleven year-old self one message, what would it be? Why?

Nothing. I'm happy with my life, who I am, and how I got here. To tell myself something would most likely change something about me or an event that could potentially make me a completely different person. I like who I am and I wouldn't readily change myself unless I was a problem. Since I refuse to believe I'm a problem, changing doesn't come that easily for me. Heh.

If I had to chose, I would have told myself to eat mangoes because they're yummy. I hadn't discovered them until I was 18.

21. If you were the Minister of Magic, what laws would you change? What laws would you add? What laws would you remove? Why?

If I were to answer this question pre-HBP, there would have been a lot of changed, added, and removed laws.

Post-HBP, not so much.

I suppose the laws I would create would be severer punishments for those who judge others on things they cannot control rather than their character and worth ethic when it comes to jobs (I'm thinking of Remus when it comes to this law). In no way do I want to support and create reverse racism, but I think it's unfair that someone as kind and bright as Remus has essentially lost the ability to live as a person because he was bitten by a werewolf as a child. In truth, I would probably also enforce laws for minorities who tried to oppress those who belong to the majority to counteract my previous law I stated. Any kind of racism is intolerable by my standards.

I wouldn't allow families like the Malfoy's the ability to buy off the government. In fact, I would probably require some kind of proficiency and character test for those who wish to work in the ministry (I hate Dolores Umbridge).

I'd probably tighten security just about everywhere due to Voldemort...and I may even ask that a curfew be placed at night. I wouldn't have one if it weren't for Voldemort rampaging across Europe. I'd probably also try to strengthen relations with the Prime Minister because Voldemort and the Death Eaters are a very serious issue. Secrecy has little importance when millions of lives are at stake.

If it weren't for the war, I'd probably be spending most of my time making the Ministry less corrupt. I believe in truth, fairness, and justice; I'd hope to influence my work place to hold a bit more integrity. I think the government should be a place where fairness and equality exists regardless of what is going on in the world. Yet, I understand that my idea really isn't that possible.

22. Do you enjoy debating controversial topics? Are you easily offended? Have you taken time to read the rules in the Userinfo? Do you think you’ll fit in with this group of people?

It depends on the topic. If it's something personal that I feel strongly about, I refuse to debate it because 1) there's nothing anyone could say to change my mind and 2) because of that, it would be a waste of time to engage in such a discussion. I can be easily offended, especially when I let it be known that I'm uncomfortable with the conversation and the other person tries to continue talking about it anyway.

I have read the rules in the userinfo and I promise not to be snarky or mocking towards any of the members of this community. I think I'll fit in mostly because I've never had much of a problem getting along with anyone. I try my best to be respectful towards others, regardless of whether they annoy me. I usually only say something if I think someone is being rude because I have a big mouth like that.

23. If you were sorted into a house that you didn’t feel you belonged in, how would you react? Would you live with it and make the best of it? Would you leave the community? Do you plan to stay and participate in the sub-communities no matter what house you’re sorted into?

Well, I have no idea what house I belong in. I've always had a hard time placing myself in a group and usually most others have the same problem. I'll actually be surprised if someone can immediately place me in a house, though that wouldn't bother me one bit.

This community looks like great fun and I fully plan on participating as much as possible regardless of what house I'm sorted into.

24. Would you change this application in any way? If so, how? Why or why not?

Hmm...I think some of the questions are a bit mind bogging due to how they're formated. I think they would be easier for the reader to consume and answer if they were broken up a bit. For example, on question 23 I would have split it into two separate questions or made "do you plan to stay and participate in the sub-communities no matter what house you're sorted into" a sub question.

Of course, I understand this community wants to invoke a great deal of thought into their applicants while filling out this questionair and would expect the applicant to take time to fully develop their answer. Taking that into consideration, I suppose formatting really isn't that important nor an issue.

25. And finally, how did you come across this community? If it was an ad from a current student or faculty member, please state their livejournal name and where the ad was placed. (That person will receive House Points for your efforts, so please try to remember.)

kissmeinkiev in dracomalfoys.
Tags: gryffindor
Subscribe

• er... YouTube? And sort of Star Wars

1. Name: Clare 2. Age: 16 3. Gender: Female 4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP? How do you feel these hobbies/interests…

• (no subject)

Subject: His Dark Materials/Sin City Text: 1. Name: Hannah C 2. Age: 18 3. Gender: Female 4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP?…

• The Lord of the Rings ate my baby - gollum

1. Name: Nicky 2. Age: 24 3. Gender: Depends on my mood, but usually female. 4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP? How do you…

• Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 29 comments
Previous
← Ctrl ← Alt
Next
Ctrl → Alt →
Previous
← Ctrl ← Alt
Next
Ctrl → Alt →

• er... YouTube? And sort of Star Wars

1. Name: Clare 2. Age: 16 3. Gender: Female 4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP? How do you feel these hobbies/interests…

• (no subject)

Subject: His Dark Materials/Sin City Text: 1. Name: Hannah C 2. Age: 18 3. Gender: Female 4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP?…

• The Lord of the Rings ate my baby - gollum

1. Name: Nicky 2. Age: 24 3. Gender: Depends on my mood, but usually female. 4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP? How do you…