April 3rd, 2006

peacelovechaos -- usertag

Charmed.

1. Name:
Kristina.
2. Age:
3. Gender:
Female.
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good. ;]Collapse )

4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP? How do you feel these hobbies/interests contribute to your personality?
Some hobbies I have outside of Harry Potter are writing short stories and poems, designing web layouts, graphics, and icons (I am horrible at coding though.), making clothes, listening to music, oh, and I collect dragon figurines. As for interests, well, I was never good at separating hobbies from interests, so I’ll give it a shot. I’m interested in things that get your adrenaline pumping, like scary movies, skydiving, and bungee jumping. Also, learning different languages.
5. Which Harry Potter character do you feel you can relate to the most? Explain. Which character is your favorite? Again, explain.
The Harry Potter character I feel I can relate to most is Ron, because we are both jealous at times, but are very loyal to our friends. We also hate doing schoolwork, but aren’t horribly bad at school. We both also let our fears get the best of us. We can both appear to be brave and strong, but show us what we fear and we become frozen and helpless. My favorite character would have to be Hermione, because often she is never seen as anything but smart. There is so much more to her than that, including being kind and brave, as well as loyal to her friends and ready for anything. In a way, I feel like I can relate to her too, because people often look at us and say, “Oh, you’re nothing but a silly little girl.” But we are often much smarter, braver, and wiser than the boys.
6. Give us the reasons for and against you being sorted into each of the houses.
a. Gryffindor
For:
I’m loyal to my friends, I’m ready for anything, I’m not afraid of challenges, and I’m very strong-minded. I know what it takes to get things done, and I work best when I’m the leader of something.
Against.
I’m not very brave, and I’m not very reliable. I could be right at your side ready to fight whatever is coming, but as soon as I see it, I would be cowering in the corner. Gryffindor members also seem to be the most popular and famous of all houses, and I don’t act very well under pressure or in the limelight.

b. Hufflepuff
For:
I’m a very hard worker, and I value friends and loyalty. Trust is also very big with me, and it seems to be a big thing for Hufflepuff members, too. I am also not very big on fighting or war. I’m a lover not a fighter, as most Hufflepuffs are (With the exception of Cedric of course). I’m also a firm believer in fair play. If you’ve got a knife and I’ve got a stick, I would probably argue fair play until I’m blue in the face.
Against:
I am not very patient, as most Hufflepuff members appear to be. I am always very fidgety and cannot sit still for more than a few minutes at a time. And, from what I’ve read, Hufflepuff members are also deemed unexceptional. I would like to think that from time to time, I can be quite the exceptional person.

c. Ravenclaw
For:
Not to sound, well, conceited, but I do think that I am smarter than most kids my age. I value intelligence as well as wit and determination in anything I do. Even something as simple as a conversation with someone can turn into a struggle for me if they aren’t on the same level that I am on. Working hard and getting things done is what life is all about for me.
Against:
Again, I am not patient, which means I often procrastinate. I usually wait until the last minute to do something, or don’t do it at all. So even though I do tend to be smarter, my grades would often be a bad example on my part. I am also not a fan of science or algebra, but I’m not sure how that pertains to the question. I see Ranvenclaw members cooped up in their dorms all day with a book or schoolwork, and that just isn’t me. Once and a while I need to get outside if only just to breathe a different air.

d. Slytherin
For:
I use manipulation and sob stories to get my way most of the time. When I want something, I will stop at nothing to get it. I also gossip like there’s no tomorrow, but it a way that nobody knows that I’m the one gossiping. I am very sneaky and often hide what I’m doing from others. I’m the kind of person who you don’t want to double-cross or mess with, because I can find ways of taking you down. Metaphorically, of course.
Against:
I’m not all that evil. Even though there are a lot of Slytherin members who are positive or neutral, most of them are still very deceitful or untrustworthy, and that’s just not who I am. I’m sure, that just like Harry, I show good qualities for Slytherin, but that’s just not how I want to be viewed. I’m only a bad or mean person if you get on my bad side, and very few people do. It takes a lot to set me off, and with Slytherin, it seems that little things set them off. Everyone has good and bad qualities, and if you are going to judge me, which I don’t necessarily like, (but this is an application of course) I wish to be judged on my good qualities far more than my bad ones.

7. What was your least favorite moment in HP?
My least favorite moment in Harry Potter would have to be when Dumbledore died. Reading Harry Potter for so many years, over and over, connected me most to him. He was like a grandfather to me, in a sense. I valued his cunning and his wit, along with his sense of humor and outright dislike for prejudices and evildoers. He was like a superhero to me, and to find out that the one man he had trusted so dear killed him, it was just a shock. I am one to debate that Dumbledore is in fact not dead, and that the one who killed him is innocent. To me, it was all some big secret conspiracy that will be revealed in the next and final book. To me, Dumbledore does not appear the type who would beg for his life, but to plead for someone to finish his or her task. To me, it all makes sense: Dumbledore is in hiding. But, of course, I still think that Elvis, TuPac, and Aaliyah are all living on some uncharted island somewhere.

8. What about HP appeals to you (e.g. the romance, the adventure, the friendships, the fantasy, the mystery)?
When my sixth grade teacher started reading us the first book, I wasn’t all that interested. Back then, I wasn’t big on reading or even thinking for that matter. But when my mom bought the book for Christmas, I instantly became hooked. My world was a little, well, crazy back then, and being able to escape from my reality into Harry Potter’s world was a dream come true. When I was little, that’s what it was all about for me. Being able to get away from everything, but still be in the middle of the mess. Harry Potter taught me to look on the bright side of things, and it also helped me read and write better, too. Now that I’m older and my life is a little calmer, the thing that appeals to me most now is the fact that you never know what’s going to happen next. The suspense and drama is what reels me in every time I open a Harry Potter book. The fact that these three friends have experienced so much together is amazing, and that’s what keeps me going in the long run. I know it sounds crazy, but Harry Potter has taught me to value life as a gift, instead of a curse or disease.

9. What would you do if your friend were in danger? What would you give up in order to save them? Would you lay your life on the line?
Let’s say, my best friend is at gunpoint and there isn’t a prayer in the world that would make the shooter change his mind. I would, of course, try reasoning with him, try to make him put the gun down and walk away, but in the end it probably wouldn’t work. If he were about to shoot her, I would jump in front of that bullet to save her, because I value my friends and family above everything else. Nothing is more important to me than having friends, family, and love. I would probably even risk my life for a stranger, because that’s just how I am, and I really don’t expect others to do the same for me.
10. Given a choice between fame and money, which would you choose?
Doesn’t being famous usually bring you money? In any case, seeing as I have to choose, I would probably pick money, seeing as how I don’t like loads of attention or being the center of it for that matter. I would say neither, because money isn’t that important to me. I could be living in a box in some alleyway and all I would need was someone who loved me. But, again, I have to choose, so I say money hands down. And, depending on the amount, I would probably give half or most of it away, and then help friends and family with financial situations and things they really want. I don’t need money to survive, and I’m not all that materialistic. Sure, people say money is the structure of a happy life, but I disagree. Love is what makes life truly worth living, because after that money is gone, you need someone else to turn to for support, and if you’ve spent your entire life sealing yourself away in some five million dollar cottage up north, what will you do?

11 If you could only store one memory in the Pensieve to visit over again, which one would it be? Why?
I’m about to get a little personal here, so bare with me. The memory I would choose to visit over and over again would be the day I realized I didn’t need therapy or anti-depressants or drugs or self-injury to make me happy. I woke up that morning and it all just sort of clicked. I had happiness deep inside me for 6 years and was never able to see it until that morning. It’s the day I look back on whenever I get sad or lonely, because knowing that I could overcome my addictions and demons is the biggest milestone of my life so far. After being in and out of mental hospitals and dealing with issues that most people shouldn’t have to go through, that one day finally made life worth living. It lifted the six-year weight off my shoulders and made me realize that life is too short to spend it sitting in a corner shielding everyone I know away. That memory is the best one I have.

12. What excites you the most in life? Where do you get the most joy and fulfillment?
Knowing that there might not be a tomorrow is what brings excitement and joy into my life. It forces me to challenge myself and be proud of my accomplishments. If I can fall asleep at night knowing I did the best I could do, that’s enough to keep me satisfied. When I wake up every morning and hear birds chirping and see the sun shining, I embrace the day not with annoyance but with gratitude. I am thankful for everyday I am given on this earth, and I cherish every moment of it.

13. If you were in Harry's position during the "Snape's Worst Memory" incident, how would you view Peter, James, Sirius, Lily, Remus, and Snape differently? Why?
I have a feeling this might be a long answer, but who knows. Firstly, let’s start off with the fact that Harry is in a memory with his mother and father. Being Harry, that would probably excite me a bit, seeing as I’ve only seen them in pictures and whatnot. Anyways, I would probably feel really bad for bad-mouthing Snape so much, seeing as he was quite the loser. Everyone picked on him for being, well, greasy, and nobody liked him much. I would also be quite mad at my father for being such a jerk. He was self-centered, pompous, and had a head the size of Jupiter. To put it in better words: he was a man-whore. But I would also be able to see the similarities as well. Both had a knack for trouble, both had the same body structure, and so on. And I would also have to note that he liked being the center of attention, unlike me, who was often in the wrong place at the right time. Sirius seemed to be less adventurous than he was in the present time. He seemed more laid back and more levelheaded, but still enjoyed trouble from time to time. Especially when it came to picking on Snape. Wormtail just seemed to be along for the ride, which wouldn’t surprise me, seeing as he would do anything just to fit in. Always doing things he would expect people to appreciate, he applauded James for showing off, and got excited when he would do things dangerous or quite preposterous. I would also hold the highest respect for my mother, for protecting an innocent bi-standard like Snape. But often as she tries to give a helping hand, Snape shoots her down by insulting her, which doesn’t really change my opinion of Snape, once a jerk, always a jerk. My views about Lupin don’t change much. Just calm and relaxed, a bit bottled up though. Always trying to ignore the situation(s) at hand by burying himself in a book, whether he’s reading it or not. I would also most likely be ashamed to be told I am like my father after witnessing an event like this, just like Harry was.

14. Imagine you were an eleven-year-old Muggleborn witch/wizard who did not know about magic and had just received your Hogwarts letter. How would you react to leaving home and going to a magic school?
I would be scared if I received my Hogwarts letter. Leaving home to go to a strange place I’ve never even heard of? I would definitely be terrified. Plus, if my parents were treating me right, I would be extremely sad to leave home. I’m eleven and I’ve just been informed that I have to go away to school, out of nowhere. But, in a sense, I would probably be very excited, because I’ve always accepted change, even at a young age. Sorry this answer is so short, but I’ve always believed in and dreamed of magic, and I find it extremely hard to think about not knowing about it.

15. If you had access to a time turner and there were no regulations regarding its usage, what would you use it for and why?
I’m getting personal again, guys. Using the time turner, I would back to when my parents were going through their divorce. At the tender age of ten I was told I had to pick which parent I wanted to live with, a decision I think that no ten year old should have to make. Knowing what I know now, I would go back and choose my mom over my dad. Even though that decision has made me the person I am today, I couldn’t help but wonder how different my life would be had I chose my mom in that extreme life-altering choice. My dad fought hard and long to brainwash me into believing my mom was the enemy, so I eventually chose my dad because I hated my mother. But if I could go back to before my dad started brainwashing me, I would, and I would choose my mother.

16. In the Philosopher’s Stone (AKA Sorcerer’s Stone) Neville had a choice: he could let his friends go out at night when they weren’t supposed to and potentially they could lose points for his house, or he could confront them and stop them from breaking the rules. What would you have done in his situation?
I would have done the exact same thing Neville had done. Standing up to your friends is the hardest thing you could do. Well, for me it is anyway. Always being seem as the forgetful nobody with only a few good friends and a not-so-outstanding reputation, I would see this as my chance to shine for once. Knowing that whatever they were up to was going to get us as a whole in trouble, because everything they did got us in trouble, I would basically see no other choice. Even though I’m not all that brave, I would still try to find it in me to stand up to my friends, because for some reason I am always stuck in the group that gets in trouble, and I personally get sick of it.

17. Who (dead, alive, or fictional) do you most admire? This can be someone from real life or from Harry Potter.
The person I admire the most is my grandfather on my mom’s side. He has been through so much and all of it has made him such a wonderful and wise person. He is also the reason why I believe in some statements such as “Everything happens for a reason.” and “Experiences bring wisdom, not age.” I feel like I am on the same path as this wonderful man because both of us, at a young age, had to go through and experience things that most adults go through. He speaks eleven different languages and has been to twenty-six different countries in his lifetime, and that inspires me to do great things. He went to college for 14 years all together, and has many different degrees and whatnot. He is the smartest, wisest, greatest man I know, and I want to be just like him. I want to be proud of who I have become and regret nothing, which I have already started doing. He has taught me Spanish and Italian (speaking of course, I can’t write in it yet), and every time he visits I always ask him to share stories. He has been in war, he was homeless, his ex-wife committed him to a mental hospital, and he flies his own personal airplane. He is the most wonderful person I know. Even though we don’t see eye to eye on certain things like abortion and same-sex marriages, I still love him. Debating with him is the most fun I could ever have, even though sometimes I get so into it I actually feel like I’m going to kill him with words. He is everything I wish I were and everything I know I’m going to become.

18. What is your favorite book outside of Harry Potter? What is it about this book that endears it to you?
My favorite book outside of Harry Potter is Dancing on the Edge. I think. I have so many favorite books it’s hard to pick. I guess I’ll pick Dancing on the Edge because it’s close to Harry Potter without actually having magic and all that jazz. This book is one of my favorites because I feel like I can relate to it in a sense. For those of you who haven’t read the book, I’ll give you a quick overview. Miracle, the main character in the story, is anything but normal. Her mother was ran over by an ambulance when she was pregnant with her, and she lived while her mother had died, which is why she received the name Miracle. She lives with her Grandmother, Gigi, and her father; Dane is his name I believe (forgive me, I’m doing this all from memory). Her grandmother is a psychic who believes highly in auras and color correspondence and contacting the dead. Her father is a writer who had his first book published at age thirteen. Her grandmother referred to Dane as the child prodigy, and thought Miracle would become one, too. To shorten things up a bit, Dan mysteriously “melts” and Gigi and Miracle move in with Gigi’s ex-husband, Opal. Gigi eventually leaves the house and Miracle is left in Opal’s care. Opal fixes a bike for her, and she starts going to dance classes, where she ends up hurting herself by banging into things all the time. Miracle soon starts going to the local school where kids tease her because she has her hair cut short like Dane’s, and wears Dane’s old robe. Soon after, she moves in with her aunt, who’s name I cannot remember, and after a while she starts doing psychic things with the kids at school, and in return she asks for a empty wine bottle and a candle. . One night, she takes out the wine bottles and candles and lights them and tries to make herself melt so she can see Dane. Eventually, she ends up in a psychiatric hospital with third-degree burns. She doesn’t understand at first, but then she finally realizes that Dane had left, not melted, and her grandmother was to blame. I’ve read this book over and over because I feel like I can relate to Miracle’s situation, only, mine is a little different. My mother left and I lived with my dad and aunt. My aunt, as well as my dad, forced me to believe that my mother was the enemy and she didn’t want me. I was so lost and confused about everything, I was constantly teased at school, and I didn’t have any friends. Eventually, I tried to commit suicide in hopes that it would bring my mother back to me. This book is my favorite book besides Harry Potter, and it is so tattered and worn, but I will never throw it out, because it connects me to my past.

19. You're sitting the final examination for a class that has given you a lot of trouble. Your grade is borderline; you really need to do well on this final to get an A. You can see the paper of your friend who sits next to you and who happens to excel in this subject. You've gotten to a question that you're stuck on. Do you glance at your friend's paper to figure out the answer or not? Why?
No. I am very much against cheating. Either you know the answer or you don’t. I would try my best and take my time, and would probably become extremely frustrated, but I would not, will not, and have never resorted to cheating. It’s unfair and it doesn’t help you in the long run.

20. In Goblet of Fire, Harry was chosen for the Tri-Wizard Tournament even with the age-line. Ron was unable to enter because of the age restriction even though he really wanted to be a part of the Tournament. Was Ron right to be jealous/angry at Harry? Were Harry's reactions appropriate? Why?
Seeing as Ron didn’t know the current situation, yes, he had a right to be jealous and angry. Harry was always the star, whether he tried to be or not, and Ron was basically always just a sidekick. He never got any fame of his own, and that probably bothered him to some extent. It would bother me, too. I keep thinking of what Harry’s reactions were in the book, but all that keeps coming to mind is his reactions in the movie, so I hope this doesn’t take points away. I’m trying very hard here. Harry’s reactions were a little unjust, seeing as he didn’t really take Ron’s feelings into account. He was probably thinking that Ron wouldn’t take it so harshly because Harry always seemed to be the center of attention, and that Ron never minded. If I were Harry, I would most likely be angry at Ron for not understanding the situation.

21. Which class would you look forward to the most at Hogwarts? Which classes do you/did you excel in most at school?
Aww, I can only pick one? Well, then, the one class I would look forward to at Hogwarts would have to be a tie between potions and charms. Sorry, I can’t pick just one. Heh. I would love charms because learning spells and waving a wand around has been something I’ve always dreamed of, I guess. Making something move with my wand or being able to unlock a door would be the most awesome thing ever. But, it does have a downside, because I’m sure it would make me even lazier than I already am. I would also love potions, because being able to concoct something to cure almost anything would make me feel important. Plus, I like to cook, so it’s kind of like cooking I guess. It, too has a downside, because I have never been good with formulas and measurements, and I’d be scared to add too much or too little and risk blowing a hand off or singeing my eyebrows and lashes off. The classes I excelled most at in school were English and History. I want to be a journalist or novelist, so writing just came naturally to be from the very beginning. I started reading at two years old, and I could write paragraphs in Kindergarten. As for History, I’ve always had a knack for remembering dates and events, but because I have a photographic memory, I don’t always remember places and names. History is a very important part to culture, and I love learning about old history, like when America was first founded, and World War 2 and such.

22. What would be the first place you visit during a Hogsmeade weekend? Why?
I would probably visit Honeyduke’s Sweet Shoppe. I have an awfully bad sweet tooth, so this is definitely the first place you’d find me. I like sugary candies more than chocolate, and Honeyduke’s has a lot of these. I would end up buying more than I could possibly afford, eat it all, and get sick twenty minutes later. I would probably fill up mostly on Fizzing Whizbees, licorice wands, and sugar quills. And possibly a box or two of Bertie Bott’s every flavor beans. I even enjoy those in real life. After that I would head over to the Three Broomsticks to observe everyone else.

23. In the wizarding world, all 5th year students are required to pick a career to focus on going into their 6th and 7th years at Hogwarts. What career path would you choose? Why?
I’d probably start off with something small, like being a professor at the school, most likely teaching either Charms or History. I would love to teach kids how to use their powers or to brush up on magical history. I love teaching people new things. After five or ten years of that, I would work my way up in the Ministry of Magic, starting off with something I can relate to, like The Committee on Experimental Charms, eventually working my way up to Auror, or The Department of Mysteries. Working in the Ministry just seems like an awesome job, no matter what you are doing, because you are a small part of a bigger whole. Chasing after the bad guys would be fun, too. After working with the Ministry, I might go on to work back at the school, or possibly write for the Daily Prophet.

24. In the Wizarding world, some pure-blood wizards consider Muggle-borns "filthy" and "horrible." In our world, people are categorized by their wealth, racial background, and appearance. What are your opinions on Muggle-borns? What are the qualities that you value in others?
Actually, I like to think that muggle-born wizards are a lot more special than regular wizards from magical backgrounds. I mean, come on. No one in their family possesses the gift, and out of nowhere they have it? I think that is the coolest thing ever. Being able to do something that no one else in your family can do has to be the best feeling ever. It also makes you a lot more unique than most muggles. From birth we are told that we are special and unique, but this tops everything we have always been told. Being muggle-born does not make you dirty or a bad person, it just means you are different and more special than most other wizards. One of the biggest qualities I value in other people is trust. I can’t be friends with you if I can’t trust you, because I have been burned and walked on too many times. But with that being said, it takes a lot for me to trust you, and I often test people with it. I know that probably is kind of harsh, but considering every person who has lied to me or used me, trust is really important to me. Another quality I look for in other people is that they don’t judge or stereotype. I can’t hang around people who constantly bring others down because of how they look, or talk, or act. I don’t like to be judged because of my past, because of my clothing style, or because of my music taste, and I don’t judge others, either. When and if I do judge someone, I have taken the time to get to know them first. The last thing I normally look for in a person isn’t a quality, but rather, an opinion. I find it very hard to be friends with others who don’t share the same views as me, but I don’t limit my social circle to my opinions and views. For example, I couldn’t be friends with someone who didn’t like homosexuals because I have homosexual friends. But, even though I am pro-choice, I could be friends with someone who was for or against abortion, because that’s an opinion. Hating someone for who they are isn’t an opinion, it’s discrimination.

25. You have stumbled across five magical wells. One is the Well of Common Sense and Logic, the second is the Well of Creativity, the third is the Well of Optimism, the fourth is the Well of Physical Strength, and the fifth is the Well of Beauty. You can only drink from one well, but once you do you will be endowed with that ability for the rest of your life. Which well do you think you would definitely not need, and which do you think you would want to drink from?
The one well I don’t think I would need to drink from is the Well of Creativity, because I take my life experiences and daily surroundings and turn them into the fuel for the fire. Being creative is something I’ve always been good at, whether in writing, drawing, designing, or whatever else. I think the one well I would drink from is the Well of Common Sense and Logic, because those are two areas in which I lack. I often feel dumb when I don’t know something because it was common sense. I have more street smarts than book smarts, because that’s just the environment I grew up in. Plus, I have a terrible sense of Logic, and I’m always looking for loopholes and then unexplainable instead of just accepting that that is how it’s supposed to be. The one thing you will never ever hear me say (except for right now, of course) is “There has got to be a logical reason.” I hate logic, but I’m not going to lie and say I don’t need it.

26. In Half-Blood Prince, we witnessed Harry force-feeding Dumbledore the potion that weakened him, even though it pained Harry to do so, because he promised Dumbledore he would do whatever he wished. If you were in Harry's position, would you have stopped feeding Dumbledore the potion, or would you have continued? Do you think it was right for Harry to do as Dumbledore wished? Explain.
If I were in Harry’s position, I would not have stopped feeding Dumbledore, because I gave Dumbledore my word. If I give you my word, I’m going to make damn sure that I will follow through with it. I never break a promise, no matter how severe the consequence. If I promised you I would help you bury a body, no questions asked, I would do it. I would probably feel horrible afterwards, but I would do it. And, yes, I do think it was right for Harry to do as Dumbledore wished, because, again, he gave Dumbledore his word. In the end, it did in fact prove helpful that Harry continued with Dumbledore’s torture, if you will, because we found out what we needed to know. And even though it weakened and hurt Dumbledore, it was extremely helpful in the events that will follow.

27. Anything else you want to tell us before we sort you? Also, please tell us where you heard about this community. (Members who refer new applicants receive points, so please try to be as specific as possible.)
Whoo. All finished. I only have one thing to say, I guess. Or maybe two. I don’t usually elaborate on things, as I like to stick to the point. So, if somewhere in my elaborations I became redundant, I apologize. Also, I don’t know who will be reading this, so throughout my application, when I talked about book six, I left certain names and events out so I wouldn’t spoil anything. I found this community while looking at p_lo84's [Bad username: p_lo84]</lj>journal for icons. Oh, and, I like to sing in the shower.