insert name here. (conorchu) wrote in _belong,
insert name here.
conorchu
_belong

Mild Beef Curry

Name: Ashley

1. You’re walking through Diagon Alley, and a tall man, wearing very expensive-looking robes, drops a small pouch of Galleons on the ground in front of you. He doesn’t seem to notice that he’s dropped the pouch, and it couldn't be more than enough Galleons to get a few drinks at The Leaky Cauldron. What do you do? Why?
I call after the man to tell him that he dropped his pouch. I would pick up the pouch and return it to him. I do this because although I really want the pouch full of money I know it is likely that if I snatched it off the ground I would most likely get caught or at least noticed. Also it would make me very nervous to be walking around with a stolen pouch, no matter how much I want the money. Also if I return the pouch I might get a reward, which I wouldn't be nervous about.

2. In his prime, Dumbledore was a very powerful wizard and a wonderful Headmaster. Do you think that the new Headmistress, Professor McGonagall, will make a good replacement? Why or why not? Who would you have chosen for your Deputy Headship? Why?
I believe that Professor McGonagall will make a decent headmistress but will not be nearly as impressive as Dumbledore. Although an animagus, McGonagall just seems to be very average where Dumbledore had a mysterious and wild flair. Dumbledore invoked respect by his very presence in the way royalty would whereas McGonagall just makes one quiet themselves like being in the presence of a strict teacher, which she was.
I would have chosen Alastor Moody since he is more wary of current affairs and is ever thinking about what traps could be afoot. He would be paranoid, but alert, and one can never be too careful. Strict, planning and experienced in dealing with unpleasant. Perfect for these troubled times.

3. The Marauders (James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter) clearly had some excellent magical talents (being unregistered Animagi, creating the Marauder’s Map, etc.). Which of the four Marauders do you feel was the most magical wizard in his prime? Why? Who do you feel was the most successful in life? Why?
This is a very difficult question for me since I believe that both Remus Lupin and Sirius Black fit both answers in different ways. I will elaborate on Sirius just because of a stronger opinion of him, not because I think him a lesser wizard.
Sirius Black in his prime was able to stay perfectly sane in Azkaban, something no one had been able to achieve previously. This would take strong dedication and power to be able to muster along with a deep seated knowledge of self. He was able to travel the country to get to Hogwarts as a dog without the permanent animalistic appearance that effected Peter Pettigrew which means he must have been able to keep his mind from becoming dull. Although losing in the fight with Bellatrix he gave a decent fight.
Success is really to each their own. Sirius is the most successful because he knew who he was and what he stood for. He was able to keep his mind in the most dire of circumstances and fought for what he believed in, no matter the price. He was loyal to the end and died for something he thought was right. Dying for something you believe in albiet tragic, is still a successful life.

4. Do you feel that Harry was right in using the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book? Was Hermione right in telling him not to? What would you have done in Harry’s position? Why? What would you have done in Hermione’s position? Why?
I don't believe Harry was right in using the Half-Blood Prince's potions book just because I would not want to have been in the same class, having to learn things while he breezed by. In his position I would have used the book to it's fullest extent, not caring what my friends told me unless they threatened to turn me in or forfeit their friendship. Although potions would be one of my favorite classes I really like to take advantage of any help I can get. I buy the teachers edition of college text books and I ask my friends for their old homework and tests to study.
Hermione was correct in telling Harry not to use the book, seeing as it was unfair to the other students for him to have an advantage. In Hermione's position I would have gone to Dumbledore or McGonagall and told them that Harry had the book if Harry did not agree to let me use the book with my homework also. While it is shallow, it's still the truth. I would turn my back on my friend if they turned on me first in said situation.

5. Would you have used the random spells written in the Half-Blood Prince’s potions book (You can't just say you know or could look up the Latin. Imagine that the spells were created in a language you'd never heard of.)? Why or why not?
Probably, but just on inanimate objects if I did. While I am very curious, I also am paranoid about the consequences of my actions. I would try them because I would want to know what they did, it could be something useful and helpful to me that would improve my life. I'm the type of person that if people write a page number in on a book, I turn to that page.
I would perform the spells alone, in a secluded place on something such as a rock or a chair.

6. Every day we make many choices. Are you comfortable with the choices you make (large or small), or are you more indecisive? Explain.
I am not comfortable with the choices I make most of the time. I tend to act on emotion too quickly before my much more factual self kicks in, and by that time it is usually too late and the damage is done. I am very indecisive and tend to procrastinate on all the important things in school. But at the same time I am a dictator-like planner, I will set apart a time for a final due date and I will force myself to finish. I do not like to make personal choices for others but will tell them what I think and sometimes judge them on their own choices even if I was torn on the opinion myself.

7. Hermione created S.P.E.W. even though the other students disagreed with her ideas. Are you able to stand up for what you believe in, even if others mock you for your beliefs? Have your opinions (or outspokenness) gotten you into trouble? Explain.
I stand up for what I believe in almost constantly and to a fault.If other people mock me for my beliefs then I tend to think them moronic and a lesser person than myself. When people mock me for my beliefs I tend to become even more rigid in them. I always get in trouble for being outspoken, I am strict in my views and some of them are considered quite radical.

8. Are there any courses at Hogwarts that you feel should be mandatory, regardless of a student’s chosen career path? Why or why not?
There are several courses I believe should be mandatory regardless of a student's chosen career path. Some subjects are just required in day to day life even in the smallest of forms for one to be able to exist as a profit to society.
Defense Against the Dark Arts should be mandatory for safety reasons seeing as one never knows even as a desk clerk when they might run into a shady character. General safety is of major importance although I'm not quite sure on the choosing of what is "Dark Arts" or not.
History of Magic is extremely important, such as the quote of Edmund Burke, "Those who don't know History are destined to repeat it". Everyone needs an extensive knowledge of history because of it's hold over everyday lives. It tells you the why's, what's, where's, when's and how's of the world.
Potions is fantastic and at least an elementary hold on it is key to ones safety. You need to know if you mix one thing with another, what is it going to do, and is it a good or bad idea.
Muggle studies is something I feel is so completely necessary but underestimated. Eventually as a wizard or witch you are going to have to deal with a function properly with muggles without, hopefully, arising suspicion.

9. If you were going to teach at Hogwarts, what course would you teach? Describe it for us.
History of Magic without a doubt. I would dwell on subjects such as betrayal, scandal, treachery and conspiracies almost non-stop. The grimy dark side of history and especially that of people in power is what I would mainly teach about. Don't get me wrong I would talk for hours and hours about general history and such. But people in power, taking over, how no one no matter how powerful can be trusted would be my point of view to try and get across. The faults of rising and falling powers, the changing of hands because of dastardly mistakes, those would be the type of things I would make students write essays on.
All homework I gave would be in essay format, very strict and to the point. I would ask a question about a certain person or event in history and require elaboration. My grading would be like a sharp razor and leave no room for feeble mistakes.

10. What class do you think you'd excel in at Hogwarts (take into account the teacher and their grading policies, class work, what you're good at now, etc.)? Why?
I would excel in Muggle Studies because I can be anal retentive about other cultures. It is mentioned that Muggle Studies is a fairly easy class and I tend to get away with good grades just on the point of my fancy writing and strong opinions alone more than actual fact. I do well in English in college and History was my main subject in High School so I believe a combination of the two would help. I am fascinated by the differences between different economic, religious and cultural upbringings and how it affects everyday society, which seems to be partially what Muggle Studies is about.

11. What would your schedule look like at Hogwarts? Would you request use of a time-turner to take loads of classes? Would you take the bare minimum? Explain.
A time turner would be most needed to be able to take all my classes and of course it would help with cramming in time for homework, which I tend to blow off because of lack of time anyway. I would take:
Care of Magical Creatures: I love animals dearly and am so curious when it comes to how to properly do things, especially with animals. I also love to know how things tick, the proper customs and such. Learning how to care for animals is very important to me.
Charms: While I would much rather take curses, I enjoy manipulating things to my will. It would also make life much more convenient for me to be an expert in this field.
Defense Against the Dark Arts: I hate being taken by surprise and always want to know that I am prepared and can fight back. Also this would give me ample opportunity to hear what exactly people are prepared for in a fight.
Flying: I would have to be an expert in flying, I do not like relying on other people for transportation so I believe this would be the easiest way. Also, I can be lazy and do not like to walk to far and this would feed to my sloth nature.
Herbology: To be able to fully understand Potions as I wish to I would have to be well learned in Herbology. My grades would probably not be too well since I do not like Biology.
History of Magic: This is so important to me I cant even to fully explain it. History is existence, history is what we are. Without history, everyday would just be new with no hope of actually going anywhere.
Muggle Studies: I would take this so I could blend in with any crowd and never have that awkward feeling of not knowing what is socially correct to do in a situation.
Potions: I would want to be master of the potions, potions queen, the potions knowledge machine. Potions can do almost anything, with an expertise in potions you could possibly get away with anything you want. Absolute control.
Transfiguration: If I couldn't be an animagus being able to change everything around me would be the next best thing. Also life would be so much easier if I could just change things into what I want them to be.

12. Professor Trelawney tells you that the thing you are dreading will happen on the 23rd. What is the thing you are dreading? Do you believe her? How does this affect you? Explain.
What I've been dreading is hearing her squawk and trying to pull that divination silliness on me. I would be nervous that she might know something but I would also just be irritated and put off by her trying to spook me. I don't believe her at all and think she's just trying to get a reaction out of me, which would work but not openly to her. I may be bothered by what she said especially if I did have wicked plans for that day, but otherwise I'd soon forget it and blow it off.

13. Would you bring a pet to Hogwarts? Remember, it can only be a rat, toad, cat, or owl. Which would you choose to bring? Why?
I would bring an owl since it seems you don't have to really care for them at Hogwarts since they stay up in the Owlery. I would enjoy having a cat or a rat but would be too concerned over the pet if I had one to really concentrate on my studies. I also really hate cleaning out litter boxes and cages. An owl would be more of an equal and a convenience. They would deliver mail for me, give off a regal air since I wouldn't settle for anything common and ordinary, and provide company if I needed it.

14. Would you rather have money or fame? Why? What would you do with the money/fame?
Both! This is really difficult, I want it all.
Fame can be negative and fickle, you can be famous one day and a nobody the next so I wouldn't want a temporary fame, but something permanent that made people respect and envy me. I wouldn't want tit to be over being evil or being some goody two shoes. I would want it to be over some kind of feat. Such as turning in a notorious criminal myself, while being good deed I would also not leave it to the authorities which would make me appear weak and not give me nearly as much credit. Maybe over an achievement like becoming a world renowned author of a book on Tudor History. I'd use it to get privileges, meet over famous people, travel the world on someone else's dime and be able to give my opinion on important matters because people listen more to those with fame.
Money would also be grand, I've had my hand in money before and it is a double edged blade. It's wonderful to have but you can't trust anyone, also you are forever worrying about getting more money, it's an addiction that way. If I had a wealth that I couldn't run through than I'd take that over fame any day because you can buy fame with money. I'd use the money to try and buy myself happiness because I am not satisfied with an average or even a slightly above average life. I want a memorable and fabulous life, books on every subject, being able to travel the world, get my art on advertisements, my name on everything. I'd be able to buy things I have always wanted and wouldn't have to worry about my banking account.

15. For each house, give an argument for both why you should be sorted into that House and why you should not be sorted into that House, regardless of your actual opinions of the Houses. Basically, explain what traits you have of each House, and which traits you don't have of each House. Do not just give an explanation of what each House is and isn't.
a. Hufflepuff
For: I can be fiercely loyal to my friends as long as they are loyal in return, I believe in justice to those who deserve it.

Against: I'm not true, I will turn on someone if I believe them to not be in my best interest, I run from conflicts I don't think I can win.

b. Slytherin
For: I will use any means to achieve what I want and tend to think myself superior to others. This includes betrayal, favoritism and lying.

Against: I don't spite people with lack of reason or believe that being "pureblood" honestly makes you better except if you are brought up ignorant because of muggle decent.

c. Gryffindor
For: I can be tough in a fight and stand up for what I believe in even if it's wrong. I'm stubborn and lean to being egotistic.

Against: Again, I'm not too loyal if it doesn't suit my best interest, I'm also a complete scardey cat when it comes to monsters and the like.

d. Ravenclaw
For: I am all about learning, I want to constantly learn new things. I would also consider myself fairly wise, only in that I can give decent advice.

Against: I'm extremely lazy about things I'm not completely interested, and even in some things I'm interested in I'm still lazy. Also, sometimes my wit isn't too sharp.

16. If you were participating in the Tri-Wizard Tournament, who would be the one you'd miss most? Why are they so special to you? Explain.
My father would be the one I miss most. It's a very personal story but because of legal matters, I haven't been able to talk to my father in a year. Since then I have been accepted into college, graduated from high school, turned 16, broke up with my first relationship, moved out on my own, started college, and come out as a lesbian to all of my friends. It's a time now where I really do need my dad and I miss him dearly everyday, there are times where I cry for hours because I realize he might not ever be in my life again. I have messed up terribly with him because I believed a woman who was manipulating me as a child for money and power in a divorce. I ruined my relationship with his family and his new wife because I was pitted against them and fell straight for it. I might never see my father again and it tears me apart every single day.
We were close when I was small, I was daddy's little girl. There are times where I wish I could go back to when I was seven and my mother filed for divorce and in some feeble hope I could make it all go away by sticking to my dad. He's my father, we have so much in common, and I miss him. That's why he's special to me.

17. Why do you get up in the morning? What is your purpose in life? What is your passion? What makes you who you are? Explain.
I get up in the morning because I have obligations and well I'm too lazy and weak to kill myself. My purpose in life is to be happy, that's what I want. I would really like to become a professional animator but I do not like working in 3D. I also have an interest in tattooing, I'm fairly certain anything art related would make me happy, although I've been told many a time I should be a lawyer. My passion was art, these days I am not quite sure. I have a huge passion for Tudor history that has come to bloom over the past two years but I've loved art since before I even attended school. What makes me who I am is my experiences, everyone has different experiences in life. No two persons lives are exactly the same. I think it's making all the wrong major choices that has made me who I am.

18. Is there anything in your life that you just can't live without? Would that answer be different in the Wizarding world? Explain.
Smart, loyal friends, I have very few of them and that verily depresses me. I think a person can live their life without friends but it is substantially harder, I'm all about life being easy and happy. Also knowledge, especially about memorable persons. If all my books disappeared and my access to information in all forms I would completely break down. I need some type of constant surge of information to be able to function.
In the wizarding world I believe my answer would be almost exactly the same. I might also add power, because while I can't really do anything with power in the real world right now. I would definitely do all I could in the wizarding world to make myself known.

19. If you had to change one (and only one) thing about yourself (personality, not physical), what would it be? Why? Would you change more things if you could?
I'd change the fact that I am uncomfortable with who I am. If I was comfortable with who I am, even if I was a terrible person I would be much happier. That sick feeling in my gut when thinking back on my life really dampens my eagerness to try and improve since now I tend to underestimate myself. This is all my problem with who I am, my self confidence can be mind blowing but the fact that I don't love myself is the problem.
If I could I would change almost all of my personality, I am not happy with who I am.

20. If you could go back and tell your eleven year-old self one message, what would it be? Why?
Ignore your mother, fix your relationship with your dad and Karen before it's too late and you lose them. I feel if I hadn't listened to my mother as a child, then my father would be taking care of me now and I wouldn't have to deal with her problems. I have grown up far too fast because of her and have had my life endangered several times in the progress. I know that if I had stopped everything then, I honestly believe that my life would be much better and my family would have forgiven me. Quality of life is important to me and I feel that I could have saved mine then.

21. If you were the Minister of Magic, what laws would you change? What laws would you add? What laws would you remove? Why?
I would lower the punishments of underage wizards, you should be able to perform minor spells alone, if more underage wizards offed themselves out of stupidity maybe less wizards would get hurt later because of the same stupidity. I would make it illegal for muggles to be introduced into the wizarding world unless absolutely necessary. Such as wizards who married muggles would be shunned from wizarding society or would have to hide it from their spouse unless there was a dire need for their spouse to know. You shouldn't just find out about an entire world because you have a two year fling marriage with someone and then you go and tell all your muggle buddies.
I'd make it easier to train to be an animagus but harder to get a license. Just because nobody wants that creepy guy who'd try and sneak into the girls room to be allowed to become a mouse animagus.

22. Do you enjoy debating controversial topics? Are you easily offended? Have you taken time to read the rules in the Userinfo? Do you think you'll fit in with this group of people?
I enjoy debating controversial topics to a point, there are times where people just fall under "hopeless" to me and I just won't debate because there is no point. I am not easily offended, I fall into a lot of subcategories that get a lot of flak: furry, childfree, lesbian, godless heathen, jewish by tradition, liberal, pro-choice, animal rights activist, all of that niceness.
I read all of the rules in the user info and do believe I will fit in with this group of people. Although I may not be the nicest I can be brutally honest and do form firm opinions on topics.

23. If you were sorted into a house that you didn't feel you belonged in, how would you react? Would you live with it and make the best of it? Would you leave the community? Do you plan to stay and participate in the sub-communities no matter what house you're sorted into?
I would be confused most likely if people didn't explain why I was put into a house I believe I have nothing in common with but I wouldn't leave over that, that would be just childish. I would live with it but I wouldn't change myself over it, such as if someone got onto me about acting too one house while I was sorted into another, I would laugh it off because well I'm not going to change who I am just because I was sorted. I do plan on staying and participating as much as I am able to.

24. Would you change this application in any way? If so, how? Why or why not?
This is a very great application, maybe a question on views about mixed vs. pureblood and such would be appropriate to add? I've noticed it does play a factor in some of the houses. A question about a persons view of what true perfection is would also be very interesting.

25. And finally, how did you come across this community? If it was an ad from a current student or faculty member, please state their livejournal name and where the ad was placed. (That person will receive House Points for your efforts, so please try to remember.)
I found this in the livejournal community hp_addicts as posted by usrweirdos.

Tags: expelled
Subscribe

• Lost

1. Name: Emily 2. Age: 19 3. Gender: Female 4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP? How do you feel these hobbies/interests…

• Cherryh's Foreigner Universe

1. Name: Jen 2. Age: 31 3. Gender: female 4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP? How do you feel these hobbies/interests contribute…

• (no subject)

1. Name: Online? Nugatory / Ilujna, I have sig tags with both though the more recent ones sport "Nugatory" 2. Age: 21 going on dead 3. Gender:…

• Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 22 comments
Previous
← Ctrl ← Alt
Next
Ctrl → Alt →
Previous
← Ctrl ← Alt
Next
Ctrl → Alt →

• Lost

1. Name: Emily 2. Age: 19 3. Gender: Female 4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP? How do you feel these hobbies/interests…

• Cherryh's Foreigner Universe

1. Name: Jen 2. Age: 31 3. Gender: female 4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP? How do you feel these hobbies/interests contribute…

• (no subject)

1. Name: Online? Nugatory / Ilujna, I have sig tags with both though the more recent ones sport "Nugatory" 2. Age: 21 going on dead 3. Gender:…