old_harrys_girl
_belong

• Mood:
  • Music:

Im gonna put it in this time! Spooks, Tamora Pierce

1. Name:  Rachael

2. Age: 15

3. Gender: Female

4. What are your hobbies/interests outside of HP? How do you feel these hobbies/interests contribute to your personality?

I love sport. I play for four school sports teams, and have been known to forsake vital coursework because of team practice/a match (even if it was only a friendly). I faithfully follow cricket, which is painful at the moment, but no more so than following my football team – Ipswich Town.

I read. Too much, according to my family. Apparently, it’s antisocial to hole up in your room all day to finish off whatever I happen to be reading at the moment. I also like a challenge, and so am working for my Duke of Edinburgh award, and take part in the Millennium Volunteer project. Other hobbies would be writing fan fiction, listening to cheesy pop music and debating/arguing a point.

5. Which Harry Potter character do you feel you can relate to the most? Explain. Which character is your favorite? Again, explain.

Ever since I first picked up a book at the age of 8, I was drawn to Hermione. Perhaps, because she is the most like me (the bookishness, and I also have curly frizzy hair), but probably also because she like me was a geek, and yet managed to be a super-cool ass-kicking hero. All of my friends would say I was like her, and I have in some ways grown fond of this comparison, and looked for ways to fit it – so I guess that makes me a bit biased. Hermione is also fiercely loyal and definitely not just a far-weathered friend – something I admire in people, having been let down in the past. So the answer to both of these questions would be the same. The answers are inter-related – I think I like her so much because I relate to her.

6. Give us explanations and reasons for and against you being sorted into each house.

a. Gryffindor

For: I’ll always fight for the underdog if I feel they have a point. Blame the ‘British Dunkirk spirit’

Against: I have been known to make promises I had no intention of keeping, which wouldn’t sit well with a Gryffindor’s sense of honour.

b. Hufflepuff

For: Although it’s not easy to get close to me often, once someone has, they can be sure that I will always be loyal to them, whatever the circumstances, provided they treat me with respect too.

Against: Being what my school terms ‘gifted and talented’ I often slack off on revision/work, relying on flair to pull me through exams without working too hard.

c. Ravenclaw

For: I’m clever – I took 3 GCSEs two years early and take the rest 1 year early. Ugh, that sounds egotistical. I also, as mentioned above, could quite happily take up residence in my local library

Against: I guess I can be a little aloof. From what I got from the books, the Ravencalws are clever, but don’t feel this makes them better than others. While most of the time, being brainy doesn’t give me a superiority complex, I will sometimes be like ‘God, these people are so DUMB. How the hell do they get good grades’.

d. Slytherin

For: If someone annoys me badly, I can form plots of revenge for a very long time. I can also be a bitch when I’m suffering PMS.

Against: I couldn’t keep a secret to save my life.

7. What was your least favorite moment in HP?

Dumbledore dying. Not because of the moment itself – it was so well written, but because it’s the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to me since I was a little kid. I was sitting reading it for the first time on the tube, on the way to a friend’s house, and burst into tears. I had the whole carriage asking me if I was alright, and shooting me worried looks. Having to explain that it was just a chapter in a book to a bunch of people, over half of whom clearly thought HP was a waste of time, was mortifying.

8. What about HP appeals to you (e.g. the romance, the adventure, the friendships, the fantasy, the mystery)?

The fact that it is, in essential, a school story. I’ve always enjoyed school stories, e.g. Malory Towers, because its something every kid can relate to. And just when I thought I’d read every possible variation on the theme and the genre was starting to get old, I was introduced to Harry Potter. It brought it all back to life for me, and refuelled my passion for books. Not only was it a school story, it also tells an adventure story, a romance (alright, so I like this aspect the least, but it’s important that it’s there), a growing up story, a good vs. evil story, and adds a dash of comedy. Not to mention the fantasy/magic. Its just everything rolled into one, which for me is the first thing to have really worked like this since JRRTolkein’s Lord of the Rings.

9. What would you do if your friend was in danger? What would you give up in order to save them? Would you lay your life on the line?

I’d like to think so. We all would. But, never having been in that situation, I have to say, that honestly, I don’t know. Although I’m pretty sure I’d die to save my family, and there are two friends I have who I see as an extension of my family, so yes, I’d do anything for those two.

10. If you could only store one memory in the Pensieve to visit over again, which one would it be? Why?

The first time I saw my mum again after my silver Duke of Edinburgh expedition. We had got lost on top of a mountain in the dark, in a marsh (so no dry ground to pitch the tent on), in the sleet (end of October) and one girl had a badly swollen ankle. It’s the only time in my life I’ve ever been scared for my life, we were all just so cold, and exhausted, that our minds exaggerated the situation worse than it probably was. I’ll never forget seeing my family for the first time again, having contemplated never doing so again.

11. What excites you the most in life? Where do you get the most joy and fulfillment?

Helping a friend to do something she didn’t think was possible. For example, one of my closest friends has myostenia gravis, and spent almost a term last year in Great Ormond Street. Consequently, she didn’t have time to do any R.S coursework, and thought she was going to not be able to take the exam with the rest of the class. We spent over 20 hours together over a weekend, doing it all, and so helping her pass the exam.

12. If you were in Harry's position during the "Snape's Worst Memory" incident, how would you view Peter, James, Sirius, Lily, Remus, and Snape differently? Why?

I don’t like Remus at all here. I think he should have done something – I’m neutral as to whether this was trying to stop his friends hexing Severus, standing with them, but just sitting on the fence is the worst thing for me. James and Sirius - I would have not got so mad at them, as they aren’t my role-models, so I didn’t believe them perfect anyway. I understand teenage bullying can be stupid and immature, and something that the perpetrator will regret later, but that it happens for any number of reasons, having been both victim and perpetrator in the past. Peter I probably would have ignored, knowing he was a despicable person. Lily, I admire for walking away calmly.

13. If you had access to a time turner without worry of not being able to return, nor any other restrictions, what would you use it for and why?

I would go back to just before my little sister was born, and convince my parents to change her name. This sounds strange, but for some irrational reason, I really hate the name they chose for her. Even now, I dislike the name, although I would never let her know this, because a name is part of what makes you ‘you’. I wouldn’t change any of my own past – there are bits I’m not proud of (e.g. the bullying mentioned above), but its all taught me stuff, and made me who I am today.

14. In the Philosopher’s Stone (AKA Sorcerer’s Stone) Neville had a choice: he could let his friends go out at night when they weren’t supposed to and potentially they could lose points for his house, or he could confront them and stop them from breaking the rules. What would you have done in his situation?

Ask if they believed the risk was worth it, and if they were doing this for a better reason than petty teenage feuds. Provided the answer was yes, I would have gone with them. House points aren’t everything, there are more important things, and if my friends believed it was worth the risk, then I would have believed it was worth risking too.

15. Who (dead, alive, or fictional) do you most admire? This can be someone from real life or from Harry Potter.

My mum. She’s always been there, for everyone, even though me and my siblings are such different people. She’s always put her own problems second to us, even though in the scheme of life, hers are much more important, she’s been successful in her field of work, AND she finds time for the ironing.

16. What is your favorite book outside of Harry Potter? What is it about this book that endears it to you?

I love The Railway Children. It was the first classic I read as a child, and struck a chord within me. Even now, I still re-read it, not for the story, which I know off by heart, but for the memories it gives me. I used to dream of being Phyllis. It was the first book that taught me how literature can let you escape from life even for a little while.

17. In Goblet of Fire, Harry was chosen for the Tri-Wizard Tournament even with the age-line. Ron was unable to enter because of the age restriction even though he really wanted to be a part of the Tournament. Was Ron right to be jealous/angry at Harry? Were Harry's reactions appropriate? Why?

I don’t think Ron was right to be jealous, but I can understand his reactions. I personally don’t believe it was this incident that made Ron react, but the culmination of many smaller incidents. I also think the reactions were probably understandable, and under the circumstances, acceptable. For me, there is a difference between right and acceptable.

Harry’s reactions are the same for me. He is frustrated at being ostracised for something that he had no control over, and in the same situation I believe I would have done the same.

18. Which class would you look forward to the most at Hogwarts? Which classes do you/did you excel in most at school?

I would look forward to transfiguration the most. It requires a knowledge of all other subjects, and brings together all that has been learned. At school, I excel at anything logical (so maths, physics, chemistry, biology) and transfiguration reflects this. It is also extremely useful out in the ‘real world’ beyond school.

19. In the wizarding world, all 5th year students are required to pick a career to focus on going into their 6th and 7th years at Hogwarts. What career path would you choose? Why? How does it relate to what you wish to do (or are currently doing) in the future?

I would probably choose to work for either St. Mungo’s as a healer, or at the Ministry as some kind of liason. The former, as it is directly helpful to society, and would present a challenge, both physically and mentally. The latter, as I want to be a government meteorology adviser/researcher, and this seems to be the closest kind of job in the wizarding world.

20. In the Wizarding world, some pure-blood wizards consider Muggle-borns "filthy" and "horrible." In our world, people are categorized by their wealth, racial background, and appearance. What are your opinions on Muggle-borns? What are the qualities that you value in others?

I don’t value at all what a person is born. I value what they become. As an idealist, none of the things mentioned above matter to me, and this has been strengthened by the fact that I have been on the receiving end of more than one snide comment due to my family’s wealth/my school. Personally, I value open-mindedness, determination to try, tenacity, and trust where deserved.

21. You have stumbled across five magical wells. One is the Well of Common Sense and Logic, the second is the Well of Creativity, the third is the Well of Optimism, the fourth is the Well of Physical Strength, and the fifth is the Well of Beauty. You can only drink from one well, but once you do you will be endowed with that ability for the rest of your life. Which well do you think you would definitely not need, and which do you think you would want to drink from?

I wouldn’t drink from the well of beauty. I have a typically ‘geekish’ appearance, and have been lucky enough to meet people that couldn’t care less. They taught me self-confidence against the pressures of society, and I wouldn’t wish beauty on myself as it would undermine what they did for me in my opinion. (That’s not to say beauty is bad, it’s just not for me).

I would probably drink from the Well of Common sense and Logic, as it would complement my natural abilities. I want to use my intelligence to make a difference, but to do so I need to understand how to apply it. My friends would all say I have no common sense, and to have this would allow me to achieve more, and to be pragmatic.

22. If you had to make 5 Horcruxes, who are what objects would you choose and why?  Meaning, what means the most to you and why what significance does it have that you would want to put your soul into it?

For a start, I wouldn’t put my soul into the things that mean the most to me – namely my sister and my best friend. Then, if someone was to destroy me, they would have to destroy them first. I place more value on those people’s lives than on my own.

The material things that mean a lot to me and so would be used are as follows. My Spooks/Harry Potter DVDs. They provide me with inspiration to write fanfic, which I couldn’t live without. A photo I have of me pretending to be a vampire using twiglets as fangs, as it reminds me of one of the happiest times of my life. My GCSE certificates – I am my work, and they are proof of my success. A tatty piece of string that is the only thing left of a friendship bracelet given to me by some people on the other side of the world I met when I stayed there for a month two years ago. My crucifix, as my faith means everything to me. And I’m going to kill another person and make 6 as I can’t choose between the other items and this one. My voice (if that’s even possible). I’m the worst singer in the world, and was even bribed to mouth during our junior school play, but that doesn’t stop me singing loud and clear whenever I get the urge. I sing to be happy, when I’m sad, to calm down, to not be on my own…

23.  What would your boggart form be and why?

It would probably manifest itself as a giant syringe, but that’s not really my largest fear. That would be the feeling the syringe creates. When you have a general anaesthetic, you slowly lose control over a small part of your body temporarily. Irrationally, I am petrified that this loss of control will spread to the rest of my body, and I won’t be able to do anything about it.

Actually, this is reflected in other aspects of my life – I have to be in control of any situation or I’m liable to panic.

24.  Anything else you want to tell us before we sort you? Also, please tell us where you heard about this community. (Members who refer new applicants receive points, so please try to be as specific as possible.)

I like to sing in the shower. I found this comm. when flicking through  melliyna's LJ userinfo. It wasn’t so much recced, as I was looking at her icons, but you can give her points anyway :D

Also, I’ve tried to be as honest as possible answering questions. This means I’ve revealed some of the nastier sides of my personality, but it doesn’t mean that I’m a nasty person. I’m sure you all understand this, everyone has some bad points, but please don’t hate me!

And this time I've remembered about a subject line!

Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 11 comments