?

No account? Create an account

14 June 2005 @ 08:51 am
you say salvation, i say liberation  
many religions have that certain thing that they share in common.

hare krishna chants on beads saying the Hare Krishna mahamantra 108 times, catholics have rosaries and say the Hail Mary 54 times..

most, if not all, religions have a book they consider to be the everything of their faith. we have the bhagavad-gita, christians and their denominations have the bible and other supplements, muslims have the koran, judaism has the torah...

and many of these books teach goodness, simple rules to live by, and other morals that are more common sense than spiritual.

however...

there are die-hards in every faith. the ones who take things to extremes....who stand on corners telling you that you're going to hell, those who show up at our festivals and tell my children that their mother is taking them to hell...the ones who judge you based on how you look, what you do, and your own personal moral code.

these people make their religion have a bad name.

and my question is, how do we even know what religion is anymore, when everyone takes what they want from it and twists it to benefit their OWN beliefs and principles?

catholisism says "thou shall not kill" yet they eat meat...

christians talk about being like christ, but then they turn their backs on people who don't measure up to their christ-like standards.

hare krishna's preach about simplicity yet temple presidents are driving BMWs...

muslims say their faith is about love and peace...yet...well, we know about that...

i could go on, but i really should be working.

i just wonder, how does god feel knowing how much his people have bastardized his teachings...

just a thought...

it's ok to be::: stressedgotta pee

swaffles on June 15th, 2005 04:12 pm (UTC)
muslims say their faith is about love and peace...yet...well, we know about that...

Again. There are extremists. The islamic faith is very peaceful. When carried out in accordance with the Koran .. and one's heart.
future Mrs. Tnewspapr_taxi on June 15th, 2005 04:50 pm (UTC)
i agree.

but we only hear of the fanatics...in ANY religion
andrewgeorge on June 15th, 2005 10:19 pm (UTC)
christianity is far from perfect.
Jennifer, Wardellen, Morien, take yer pick: triple moonwardellen on June 15th, 2005 04:20 pm (UTC)
This is one of the many reasons I've been drawn to BTW. Although there are "supplements" there is no one book that says what to do or how to do it. Everything is learned through personal experience. What you experience becomes your spirituality, rather than what you are told you should think and feel. The religion becomes extremely personal this way.

And although we, too, have extremists who give Paganism a bad name, for the most part it is a community that follows a "live and let live" philosophy.

future Mrs. Tnewspapr_taxi on June 15th, 2005 04:52 pm (UTC)
my great relatives were true pagans from ireland.

my grams still hold on to some of it even though she is catholic herself.

yes...religion to me is very personal...that's why i never talked about it much.

BTW means...
Jennifer, Wardellen, Morien, take yer pickwardellen on June 15th, 2005 05:10 pm (UTC)
BTW= British Traditional Witchcraft
future Mrs. Tnewspapr_taxi on June 15th, 2005 05:33 pm (UTC)
thank you :-)

*shine on...*
8_daze_a_week on June 15th, 2005 04:59 pm (UTC)
People that can't see past their own religion drive me nuts. I hate to point out a specific group, but many Catholics have such a hard time being accepting of someone from another religion without thinking 'well they're going to hell'. Especially born-agains...some of them can come on really strong. Again, I know all Catholics certainly aren't that way....but I"ve come across quite a few.

I think the basis for religion, which some people forget, it your personal faith, and your relationship with God. There are always going to be extremists, people concerned more with money than they should be, hypocritical acts and so on, as in any other aspect of life and organizations. I think, just due to human nature, that it's pretty much unavoidable. But if we concentrate on just being the person we want to be, having strong faith, praying and honoring God in our own way, then that's all God really wants.
future Mrs. Tnewspapr_taxi on June 15th, 2005 05:07 pm (UTC)
just FYI, catholics usually aren't born agains...those are non denominational christians. like my mother. who is an evangelical xian. and a born again...and they want everyone to find that happiness that they found. but you aren't going to make someone love something by beating it into them. or telling them they are going to hell because they DON"T love it.

i won't believe in anything out of fear.