All Music Unifying Sacred Energy

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

The Divine Soma Experiment [Jan. 24th, 2005|11:45 pm]
All Music Unifying Sacred Energy

_a_muse

[melyxa]
[Current Mood |curiouscurious]

In my Googled, serendipitous travels in search of whatever I might find regarding "the music of the spheres," I chanced upon a little page ( http://peyote.com/jonstef/spheres.htm ) which, of itself, would be but a footnote of my travels. I took a chance, however, and (much like Alice and her rabbit hole) followed a little white link that said "Home" to this page:

http://peyote.com/jonstef/index.htm

The Divine Soma Experiment is/are a band. They make music with the express, stated purpose in mind of altering consciousness. I'm not shilling for these guys. In fact, I have yet to hear a single thing of theirs. But their site is gorgeous, and fun, and they talk about wonderous things like said music of the spheres (which they take quite seriously), and synaesthesia. I very, very, very rarely have had experiences of synaesthesia; that is to say, I could see the colors of the music I was hearing. Yes, of course; altered states of consciousness were involved... but not all of those occasions involved controlled substances of any sort in order to acheive an altered state of consciousness.

Which brings me to my one caveat about the website: if you object in any way, shape or form to psychedelia, to altered states of consciousness, or -- most pointedly and particularly -- to the use of hallucinogens, you will not enjoy this site at all.

I'm impressed that they don't just rummage through the usual psychedelic attic of Timothy Leary and Carlos Casteneda. They actually seem interested in ancient cultures, and give them a bit more than lip service at that.

I'm looking forward to listenening to at least a clip of the music (I don't exactly have the most au courant 'puter equipment). If any of you do, or even if you just peruse the site, I'd be very interested to know what you think.
LinkReply

Comments:
[User Picture]From: sixtus
2005-01-25 12:14 am (UTC)
Ooh! Looks interesting! I'm a lot into traditional world music and ethnic fusion so this certainly jabs at my curiosity. If you find any tracks for download, let me know as I'm awful at hunting down music -_-
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: melyxa
2005-01-27 01:35 pm (UTC)
They have excerpts to download at the site (I imagine that the actual peices are quite loooong). I'm pretty awful at hunting these things down too -- I'm a recovering Luddite, in the extreme.

Anyway, their style seems to be very eclectic. I could definitely hear the influences of the traditional, but they really took it to a very unique place. One of the pieces sounded like something I might put behind a guided meditation... but I'm not sure I'd want to just open myself up and let it take me wherever it wanted to go: very dissonant energies at points, which isn't "bad," but can make for a jarring experience if one isn't prepared for it. The other piece I heard was, well, peculiar. Think early Pink Floyd, or John & Yoko's experiments with soundloops, combined with the aforementioned tribal/ethnic influences.

I was fascinated. My spouse, rampallion, couldn't stand it. I'm not entirely surprised. I can get into a piece of music as an intellectual exercise/experience. When the two of us write songs together, I'm the lyricist and she's the songsmith. She can practically think in harmonies. So dissonances can sometimes be almost physically painful to her. Plus, the pieces seem to have the rhythms as the foundation, rather than the melodies (if there are any to speak of -- in that second piece, I couldn't detect any; it wasn't a fugue, or atonal (like John Cage), it just didn't have any melodies -- several tonal patterns, but they seem to have been used rhythmically as well).

In all, it's a worthwhile endeavor. I don't know if I'll be bumping them up to the tippy-top of my "buy this!" cd wish list, but I'll definitely be adding them to it. And I'm already contemplating what kind of guided meds or journeys I'll be taking with them.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)