Now, I'm sure you've completed your project already (and I'm not a member of this community myself, though I do intend to join), but I'm going to answer your questions for you and point you in a few more directions. :D
1. What people wear. Or, rather, what people choose to wear based on what those around them wear and what magazines/etc. purport to be popular/in/etc, although there are more fashions that those that are "in," of course.
2. I'm hardly the greatest resource for it, but for elegant gothic lolita fashion, I believe popular colors are black and white. Clothes tend to be frilly, in the style of Victorian English little girls' clothing. I don't really know on jewelry--I'm still trying to figure that one out. A few links for you here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elegant_Gothic_Lolita
3. No. I'd like to, but I've neither the time to make my clothes nor the money to buy good EGL style clothing. It can be a very expensive habit.
4. Ummm...I don't know who all. Generally girls, I'd guess, but I'm American. And like anyone else, a combination of it appeals to them and it's what their friends wear and it's what favorite artists/stars/etc. wear.
5. I dunno. Something by Mary Magdalene, maybe, though I'd never fit their sizes--I'm just not proportioned right. xD
6. Not at all related to an Elegant Gothic Lolita, other than the fact that black is a favorite color for both and they share part of the name. For further description, see wikipedia. I also call goths "annoying"--they generally are, around here.
7. I believe there are some who follow the western goth styles more, but I don't have a clue as to the rest.
8. As I said, western gothic (goth) and EGL have nothing to do with each other other than the name. Unless you buy everything from Hot Topic, anyhow. (Not that I have anything against Hot Topic, but their EGL definitely crosses over with western goth).