December 10th, 2005

pout

Pride and Prejudice Episode 3

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE RECAP 3:
Miniseries in 6 eps, 1 hour each.

Episode 3

After the opening credits, Lydia and Kitty run up Longbourn Lane into the house, as the Music of Great Agitation plays. The music turns very Gone With the Wind as the girls tell Elizabeth and Jane that Charlotte Lucas has agreed to marry Mr. Collins. “Charlotte!” Elizabeth exclaims. “Engaged to Mr Collins! Impossible.” She will eat her words later. Eat them, I say!

Lucas Lodge. While Mr Collins chats with his future father-in-law, Charlotte and Elizabeth have tea. “But why should you be surprised, my dear Lizzy?” Charlotte says passive-aggressively. “Do you think it incredible that Mr Collins should be able to procure any woman’s good opinion, because he was not so happy as to succeed with you?” Elizabeth tries to turn her remark into something other than the disapproval that it is, but Charlotte knows what she’s thinking. “I’m not romantic, you know,” she says, in the understatement of the year. “I ask only for a comfortable home. And, considering Mr Collins’s character and situation in life, I am convinced that my chance of happiness with him is as fair as most people can boast on entering the marriage state.” And that chance, by her own estimate, isn’t great. Mr Collins says something stupid.

Collapse )