EVERYbODY'S FOOL (silent_storm_) wrote in __phantasmic,
EVERYbODY'S FOOL
silent_storm_
__phantasmic

• Mood:
  • Music:

Tutorial 01: Together

All right, my first tutorial.  Hopefully it'll be easy to understand and follow. I use Photoshop Elements 2.0, but it should translate ok to other programs.

We'll be going from this:  to this: Image hosted by Photobucket.com.

I started out with this cap, done by the lovely callmefreak .  I cropped it to my liking and resized it, and ended up with my base.

I duplicated it twice and set both layers to screen.  It should look like this:

Then i took a dark blue-ish color (#2A3639) created a new layer and paintbucket-ed it and set the blend mode to saturation. So now it looks like this:

Then i selected a lighter blue (#C0CCCF) dumped it on a new layer, set the blend mode to color, and set the opacity to 45%.  Looks like this:

Then I took a brush by teh_indy ( only in light blue)</span> and used the same light blue and put it on another new layer.  I set the blend mode to linear dodge)  It should look like this now:

I added a few more brushes, all in the same color and set the blend modes to either color dodge or linear dodge.  I'm not telling exactly what I did because I don't want my tutorials to be copied exactly and you guys should have some fun trying this, not copying everything I did.  Once I was done, I had this:

Then I decided I was ready for a border with some pretty effects and text.  I started with the border, by inxsomniacx in white.  It looked like this:

I decided 'together' was a good word for the icon, so I used arial size 24 and typed 'together' all in lowercase.  Then I decided I wanted it upside down, so I used the free transform tool and turned it.  So now it looks like this   Finally, I made another text layer and typed in arial size 8 in all caps 'VIOLET & SUNNY,' and put it close to where the top of the 'together' was, and set the opacity to 35%.

And our final product is this:

Other icons made using similar steps:   

(since I haven't officially posted those icons yet, if you want to use them be sure to give me credit!)

NOTE: THIS TUTORIAL IS NOT TO BE COPIED EXACTLY.  IT IS MENT TO GIVE YOU TIPS AND IDEAS FOR YOUR OWN ICONS.  I DON'T WANT TO SEE SOMEONE POSTING ICONS EXACTLY LIKE THE ONE I JUST SHOWED YOU HOW TO MAKE.   IF PEOPLE START DOING THAT I WON'T MAKE ANY MORE TUTORIALS.

So, what did you guys think?  Gimme some feedback, should I make more, did this help you at all?  Comment comment comment!

Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 14 comments