?

No account? Create an account
Recent Entries Friends Archive Profile Tags Memories

Family isn't about whose blood you have. It's about who you care about.
~ Trey Parker and Matt Stone
Friday, May 4th ~ Afternoon

After kissing Daphne good-bye that morning, Harry started out on the bike toward London. He was planning on turning to back over to Sirius, but he had to admit he was going to miss it. A lot. Therefore, he wasn't in a hurry to get there.

I'll have to get my own and then we can ride them together.

It was a beautiful day and he tooled along the various roads, stopping for lunch in the pub he stopped in once before. The barmaid remembered him, but this time all he had to do was show her his wedding band. She was still friendly, but not like last time.

Gods, Harry decided with a shake of his head. I'm turning into a stodgy old married man - and I love it.

Probably better not let Remus know. I'd never hear the end of it.

Later, pulling up in front of Grimmauld Place, he turned off the motor and merely sat outside looking at the house for a long time. Memories of when Sirius had first come into his life and the offer to live here with him...

Lestrange took care of that quickly enough, but it was still my fault in the long run.

How can I ever make it up to him?

Getting off the bike and parking it next to the front steps, he walked up and knocked on the door.

People didn't know how to talk to him, it seemed.

Sirius didn't like staying in the house when the Healers let him have some free time, and so he'd been checking out the places he used to socialize ... but that had been a long time ago.

In the meantime, he'd been if not a murderer who betrayed his closest friends then at least a convict, as well as, well, dead. ... People didn't seem to forget that, and eventually Sirius got tired of making people uncomfortable — even the younger ones, or those who'd been away during the battles. After a while one of their friends would sidle up and whisper into their ear who it was they'd been talking to, and no matter how good a time they'd been having, it dwindled to an uncomfortable close.

Thus, when someone knocked on the door, it was with a real eagerness that Sirius went to answer it.

"Harry! Harry, my boy. Come in, come in. What bring you here?"
Turning so Sirius could see the motorcycle, Harry grinned and held out a hand in its direction.

"I thought you might like it back before I try to play mechanic again and bust something for good."

Then he laughed.

"Plus I thought maybe you'd help me pick out a new one and - uhm - modify it so it flies? Not that we need to let the Ministry or Arthur know about any of that of course. Then we could jaunt around the countryside together and get into trouble."
"Bertha!"

Sirius grinned, hugged Harry quickly and bounded down the walk.

"Oh, you old girl, still gorgeous after all these years. My godson been treating you ok? You can tell me — I saw what happened that one time. You sure? Better than ever, you say? Well, then, all right."

He patted the warm leather of the seat appreciatively and looked back at Harry.

"Not that I didn't appreciate you making the effort to keep her up yourself, but unless it was an emergency I always hired it out — nothing but the best for Bertha."

That and he didn't like getting oil and grime all over himself.

Not when he was wearing clothes, anyway.

"If the mechanic who altered her is still around and kicking ... ohh, yeah. We're going to get you one of these, and let the roads beware!"
Bertha?

"Hey! I'll have you know I almost electrocuted myself trying to follow your less than clear directions," Harry protested as he walked down to join Sirius and his apparent first love. "You know - we could get one for Remus and make him throw off the stodgy old robes and ride with us. Think he would?"

Rubbing his chin lightly, Harry sent the other wizard a raised eyebrow.

"We could start our own gang!"
Sirius snickered. It wasn't his fault Harry didn't speak canine.

"I don't think he will, but I will give you this house and everything in it just to be there when you propose it to him."

He got on the bike. Not to start it up or anything, just to get reaquainted and all.

"Every gang needs a name, gotta let people know who they're dealing with and build up a rep! Any ideas?"

Snorting once, Harry rubbed his chin in thought.

"Fallen angels? Although that would imply that we'd been angels at some point in our lives and while I was a perfect child, we all know you weren't," Harry advised with a broad smile.

"Road Wizards? No - sounds too much like lizards. Birds of a feather? You know - The Phoenix and all?"
"Good, but a bit wordy," Sirius shook his head, still messing about with the cycle. "On the right track, though."

"Just have to keep it simple. You know, like ..." Sirius stopped and smiled at his godson. "Like 'the Marauders.'"