?

No account? Create an account
__GROBANITES
Love the music, love the man, love each other!
Your mod has her first listen to 'Illuminations' 
2nd-Dec-2010 08:26 pm
Josh - Like OMIJOSH!
The Wandering Kind
An interesting idea to have a musical piece to start the album. Quite pleasant musically. Although it reminds me off the music you get when you pause the live mode of 'The Sims' to buy a kitchen table or landscape the garden. 7/10

Bells of New York City
Lyrically, doesn't grab me. Too wordy and out of my knowledge base. I've never been to New York. I can't really discern any deeper meaning.
Tune-wise; inoffensive but unexciting. 5/10

Galileo (Someone Like You)
Oh, not another bloody 'Vicent' rip-off. I hated that song.
Another wordy song. Cheesy and unconvincing. However the line "who put the rainbow in the sky? Who lights the stars at night?" is a musically beautiful couple of bars. The song is let down by the cheesy, somewhat incomprehensible lyrics. 5/10

L'Ora Dell'Addio
Oh, finally. A song from the first couple of notes that says "I'm a techically well-written piece of music." It isn't trying to be too much. It's not showy and overly-wordy, like the previous 2.
Oh, gosh. This is pretty. What I wanted from this album.
Damn, could have done with being another verse longer. 8/10

Hidden Away
One of two songs I'd already heard.
Not as Paul Simon-esque as it sounded live.
I really can't decide what I think of this song. I like the falsetto a lot here and am imagining that it will sound cool in the arenas with big orchestra backing. But it's just standard pop-classical crossover. No depth. Formulaic.  5/10

Au Jardin Des Sans-Pourquoi
Have not enjoyed the French songs on previous albums...  'The Garden Without Why"?  Is that?  Huh?
But it's pretty.  I'm hearing some nice baritone coming through.  This sits right on the break of his voice.  I can imagine him pulling this from the set list at the hint of a cold.
Yeah, I could love this one.   7/10

Higher Window
Heard this once a month or so back.  I can imagine this being good live.  A potential anthem?  With the whole "light from a higher window"? message.
"Is it too late for me to love you?"  Ouch.  Would have loved that line 10 years ago Josh.  Now its just cheesy and Celine Dion-esque.
But you know?  It's actually pretty nice.  7/10

The rest to follow tomorrow!
Comments 
6th-Dec-2010 03:40 pm (UTC)
I actually find "Bells of New York" to be my favorite song on this album next to Voce Existe Em Mim.... I'm skating to it in the spring, my coach loved it as a skating piece. :) Now I need to find a dress that will complement it. :)
9th-Dec-2010 06:55 am (UTC)
I agree with a lot of what you said. Upon first listen, this album didn't quite impress me as much as I had hoped. However, as I'm listening to the album more and more, it seems like the songs are sounding a lot better to me than I had first thought. I suppose it's growing on me.
13th-Dec-2010 02:49 am (UTC)
Guess Mod #2 ought to chime in too eh?

I love "The Wandering Kind" because I am such a sucker for piano... your comment about the Sims made me laugh. Hard.

I LOVE "Vincent", but feel about the same way as you do about "Galileo". It's my least fave song on the album.

Not overly crazy about the French one either. I've never really liked his French songs.

Hated "Hidden Away" at first listen... but like it much better now. The intro still annoys me though... blatant Paul Simon rip off. Josh can do better!

"Bells of NY" gets stuck in my head... which has caused it to be one of my faves on the album.

I like "Higher Window" quite a bit & the Italian one is good too, but not up there with his previous Italian ones. The Portuguese one is my fave foreign language track.I really love that one.

13th-Dec-2010 11:25 am (UTC)
I like "Au jardin sans pourquoi", probably because it was written by Rufus Wainwright, whom I love as much as I love Josh. "Garden without why" is only the title's literal translation into English. What it's really implying is "garden without cause" or "garden without utilitarian purpose", ie. a garden that exists just to be beautiful. :)
13th-Dec-2010 01:41 pm (UTC)
So: overall verdict. Should it be on my Christmas list?
This page was loaded Apr 23rd 2019, 12:14 pm GMT.