?

No account? Create an account

why, why, WHY?!

« previous entry | next entry »
Apr. 5th, 2009 | 06:57 pm
posted by: christa_wolf90 in __fantasynovel

Why is it the whole fantasy creatures are usually the same in every book? Dragons are either the evil creatures that are meant to be slain or that must be trained. Unicorns are beautiful horse-like creatures that can always be ridden by pretty girls. Elves are basically humans with pointy ears, are sometimes short, and live forever. Werewolves are always man-eating people who forget everything as soon as they turn back into humans. Give me something new here, people!

Link | Leave a comment |

Comments {8}

Coyote

date: Apr. 6th, 2009 12:09 am (UTC)
Link

Because that's what people buy for the most part.

But try reading more interesting fare like Benighted or Fat White Vampire Blues. And if you *really* want to get fancy, read stories from somebody like China Mieville or something.

Reply | Thread

mirrorred_star

date: Apr. 6th, 2009 12:27 am (UTC)
Link

Kate Forsyth's dragons (The Witches of Eileanan; Dragonclaw is the first book; if you're in the US it's The Witches of Eileanan) are pretty much mortal gods, and do not grant the favours of humans easily.

Urban Fantasy werewolves are mostly people that just happen to be able to turn into wolves, FTR- Kelley Armstrong's are really good, but she switches characters and only Elena's books really deal with werewolves.

Reply | Thread

runriggers

date: Apr. 6th, 2009 02:47 am (UTC)
Link

Try Mercedes Lackey's Obsidian stories .... starts with The Outstretched Shadow.

Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlotte Harris - werewolves know they are werewolves.

Charles deLint is really good as well, but he doesn't write about elves or werewolves.

Edited at 2009-04-06 02:48 am (UTC)

Reply | Thread

blah blah blah

date: Apr. 7th, 2009 12:57 am (UTC)
Link

I've read a lot of urban fantasy that takes a different look a supernatural creatures. Kim Harrison has a good series out now were some of the vamps can be good and the werewolves are in the know as to what they are.

Reply | Thread

Spam on a Stick

date: Apr. 11th, 2009 02:46 pm (UTC)
Link

Rose Marie Wolf's series has werewolves that don't automatically forget everything when they turn human. ^_^

Reply | Thread

date: Apr. 11th, 2009 07:24 pm (UTC)
Link

I suppose it's because people draw on traditional mythology, and since many people do it, it sort of turns into 'fact' if you understand my meaning.

Sometimes it's laziness, sometimes a desire to follow fantasy conventions or just a pure and simple lack of imagination and/or talent.

I see what you mean about it being annoying - it would be REALLY fascinating to read a different take on a unicorn actually; they could be like the mares of Diomedes; beautiful and carnivorous.

Hope that answers your question ;)

Reply | Thread

tectle

Funny you mention it

date: Aug. 7th, 2009 04:16 pm (UTC)
Link

Actually I'm working on a novel that does just this.

It takes many of the "traditional" main stays of fantasy and turning them on their head as well as going more into depth about why they got the reputations they got.
A few examples:

Why the word "troll" is so proficient in life today.
The real reason that unicorns like virgin females.
The real reason between the hatred between werewolves and vampires.
Why there are no more dragons.

Reply | Thread

The Jabberwock

date: Nov. 25th, 2009 02:51 am (UTC)
Link

that's actually not how i associate dragons at all, because my first exposure to dragons was through patricia wrede's enchanted forest series - dealing with dragons and so forth. it acknowledges and mocks stereotypes in ways i deeply enjoy.

"By night and flame and shining rock,
open thou thy hidden lock.
Alberoligarn!"

As the sound of Kazul's voice died away, the iron gate swung slowly open. "That's a very unusual opening spell," Cimerone commented, impressed.

"It wasn't always that complicated," Kazul sounded almost apologetic. "I believe the first version was very simple, just "open sesame," but word got around and we had to change it."

Hee.

Reply | Thread