?

No account? Create an account

__fantasynovel

Rec's

« previous entry | next entry »
Mar. 23rd, 2009 | 04:10 pm
feeling: chipperchipper
posted by: unusualdemoness in __fantasynovel

Hey, I'm new here and I've recently began reading a lot again after about a year of nothing and I'm looking for as many new books as I can get my hands on. Does anyone have any fantasy rec's? Any favorites?

Link | Leave a comment |

Comments {20}

vaegue

date: Mar. 23rd, 2009 09:27 pm (UTC)
Link

This isn't new, but Melanie Rawn's 'The Exiles Trilogy' has to be my favourite fantasy, if not my favourite books of all time. The premise is thre sisters fighting on opposing sides of a magical war.

The world building and characters are brilliant. The only problem is that the third installment doesn't look like it is going to come, like ever (it has been ten years). But if you haven't read it before, the books are amazing. :)

Reply | Thread

blah blah blah

date: Mar. 24th, 2009 11:39 pm (UTC)
Link

It looks interesting, thanks for the suggestion!

Reply | Parent | Thread

khajidu

date: Mar. 23rd, 2009 10:25 pm (UTC)
Link

Vlad Taltos series, by Brust.

Reply | Thread

blah blah blah

date: Mar. 24th, 2009 11:43 pm (UTC)
Link

Thanks!

Reply | Parent | Thread

(Deleted comment)

blah blah blah

date: Mar. 24th, 2009 11:34 pm (UTC)
Link

I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Reply | Parent | Thread

date: Mar. 23rd, 2009 11:30 pm (UTC)
Link

I can't think of any new fantasy books that aren't rip offs of others, but I can offer the Black Jewels Triology, if you like original magic and a bit of not-really-romance. If you're under the age of seventeen, I wouldn't read it.

Reply | Thread

blah blah blah

date: Mar. 24th, 2009 11:18 pm (UTC)
Link

I have the first of these books right now actually. A lot of people seem to like them.

Reply | Parent | Thread

May the Odds Be Ever in Your Favor

date: Mar. 24th, 2009 02:04 am (UTC)
Link

This is technically -Irish- fantasy, but honestly, for me, anyway, you get so wrapped up in what's going on that you kind of forget that it's Irish fantasy, but the author does pull in some cool Irish stuff (i.e. fairies, folktales, etc), but I strongly recommend The Sevenwaters Trilogy (which technically has four books now) by Juliet Marillier if you haven't already read it. The first book is Daughter of the Forest, and it's based on the story of the brothers who are turned into swans. It's absolutely amazing and I am waiting for the day where they finally make a movie based on it.

Reply | Thread

blah blah blah

date: Mar. 24th, 2009 11:25 pm (UTC)
Link

I love mythology and different spins on classic fariytales. I'll definatly check these out, thanks.

Reply | Parent | Thread

May the Odds Be Ever in Your Favor

date: Mar. 24th, 2009 11:58 pm (UTC)
Link

You're very welcome. I love being able to tell others about that series. I've introduced a few of people to it and they pretty much all loved it.

Reply | Parent | Thread

Glam Elf

date: Mar. 24th, 2009 02:53 pm (UTC)
Link

Way of the Shadows series by Brent Weeks. Amazing.

Reply | Thread

blah blah blah

date: Mar. 24th, 2009 11:31 pm (UTC)
Link

Seems interesting, I like the assassin premise. Thanks!

Reply | Parent | Thread

(Deleted comment)

blah blah blah

date: Mar. 24th, 2009 11:43 pm (UTC)
Link

Looks good, thanks!

Reply | Parent | Thread

date: Apr. 15th, 2009 05:38 pm (UTC)
Link

The Books of Pellinor by Alison Croggon. Beautiful and very rich in detail :)

Reply | Thread

blah blah blah

date: Apr. 16th, 2009 08:38 pm (UTC)
Link

I've heard of these. Oh, I love well written details. They really make you feel like you're part of the book. Thanks!

Reply | Parent | Thread

★risen

date: May. 20th, 2009 03:58 pm (UTC)
Link

C.S. Friedman's Coldfire trilogy is a great series; Black Sun Rising, When True Night Falls, Crown of Shadows, in that order. amazing characters, amazing depth, amazing description-- i recommend it to everyone i talk fantasy with, haha.

i've been reading Mercedes Lackey since i was about 12, so i'd really recommend her, too, particular her Valdemar series.

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series is really good, although he starts repeating himself about halfway through the series. he has a bad habit of recapping half of what's already happened as though people are just starting with, say, the fifth book in the series, and sometimes it can get a little soap opera-like, but. the first couple books are really, really good, and i'd definitely recommend them.

i'd also recommend Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea series -- great stuff, although i haven't read it since i was in my early teens. XD;

if you can get your hands on Louise Cooper's Indigo series it's definitely worth reading, but they're all out of print and incredibly hard to find outside of the internet or good used book stores.

beyond that and classics like Lord of the Rings and The Last Unicorn, and stuff like Harry Potter, i'd really recommend pretty much anything by Terry Brooks and Neil Gaiman.

hope i've helped! 8)

Reply | Thread

blah blah blah

date: May. 20th, 2009 08:36 pm (UTC)
Link

I've heard nothing but good things about The Sword of Truth series and have been wanting to get ahold of the first book for awhile. I've also heard of Mercedes Lackey and I'll have to look into the series you've recommended. And all the other things, too. You can never read to many books. :)

Reply | Parent | Thread

★risen

date: May. 20th, 2009 08:40 pm (UTC)
Link

i've actually heard a lot of criticism for terry goodkind, but not in a long while and i mostly ignored it lol 'cause it is, in general, a very good series. 8)

as for never being able to recommend too many books, i completely agree :]

Reply | Parent | Thread

Emerald Dawn

date: Aug. 12th, 2009 11:30 pm (UTC)
Link

I know it's been a while since this post, but I'd like to second Mercedes Lackey. She is my favorite fantasy author. I'd recommend starting with Arrows of the Queen (the Heralds of Valdemar Trilogy), and then moving on from there (chronologically or otherwise, I don't think it makes much difference. I'd recommend in publishing order or chronological order, myself).

I also think you should look into Tamora Pierce. She's more young adult fiction than proper adult fantasy, but she is another of my favorites. I like her Tortal series better (Lioness Rampant quartet, the Immortals quartet, etc) but the Emelan books (Magic Circle quartet, etc) are just as good. As an author, she's very fan-interactive and doesn't mind answering questions at her livejournal (tammypierce).

Reply | Parent | Thread

blah blah blah

date: Aug. 13th, 2009 01:02 am (UTC)
Link

I've read some of Tamora Pierce's books and I agree, her Tortal series is great and I've also read, and liked, her Magic Circle books. Although there are some of her newer books I've never read that I could look into. And I had no idea she had a livejournal, that's really cool.

Mercedes Lackey seems to be getting a lot of recs, too, and I'll have to check out 'Arrows of the Queen'.

Thanks for the recs and the link!

Reply | Parent | Thread