?

No account? Create an account

__fantasynovel

Brisingr

« previous entry | next entry »
Mar. 16th, 2009 | 03:03 pm
feeling: curiouscurious
posted by: caitie578 in __fantasynovel

Just finished Brisingr. Before I write what I thought about it any thoughts?

Link | Leave a comment |

Comments {4}

date: Mar. 17th, 2009 05:07 pm (UTC)
Link

Is this the last of the series of Eragon? If so, then it's completely unoriginal. Otherwise, never heard of it.

Reply | Thread

caitie578

date: Mar. 17th, 2009 06:52 pm (UTC)
Link

it's the second to last of the eragon series.

Reply | Parent | Thread

♥ keptawake

date: Mar. 17th, 2009 08:11 pm (UTC)
Link

I couldn't get through Eragon. Couldn't stand his writing style. :/

Reply | Thread

Brisingr

date: Apr. 4th, 2009 08:29 pm (UTC)
Link

Personally, I love the Inheritance cycle. Having read the Lord of the Rings, I know full well that it is Tolkien-lite (he even has a Never Ending Staircase!!!), but that does not diminish my love for it.

His writing is not of amazing quality and he does have a horrible tendency to abuse his thesaurus a la Stephenie Meyer (but grrrr, twilight is a whole other issue; don't even get me started on that), e.g. 'Her aquiline fingers'. Aquiline is a word used to describe the NOSE. The only reason I'm more inclined to like his work is that he was fifteen when he started writing it, so there are bound to be mistakes, dodgy passages, weird characterisation et cetera.

Another thins is that he seems such a nice guy! Not the greatest reason I know, but I don't think he has the arrogance about his work that some writers do; he truly belives in his characters in his world and that makes it more real for me.

I really like his characters as well; I am of the slightly dubious belief that if your characters are human enough, you an get away - to a certain extent - with a crappy plot. For example, we don't get very,very detailed accounts of galbatorix's life like Harry did about Voldemort; he is pretty much a cardboard cutout villain.
However, I have to say the way he writes female characters is absolutely FANTASTIC. They're the equal or superior of men in many cases and can fight and fend for themselves; they're not lovesick, weak little damsels waiting for someone to rescue them - even Katrina can give as good as she gets if she has to.

Another point - he writes black characters as human beings. Being a 16 year old girl of Nigerian decent, Nasuada will always, ALWAYS have a place in my heart. Paolini hasn't written her as some overtly sexual paragon of exotic feminity; she's a woman, a person just like him and that's it. i also really like that a lot of the females in Brisingr are unattached: Nasuada, Arya, Angela and many others. Nasuada is married to the Varden, Arya is of a solitary disposition and Angela simply enjoys far too much autonomy to settle down and get married and merely be someone's wife for the rest of her (numerous) days.

There are lots of wonderful moments that you don't get in other fantasy novels such as 'Around the Campfire' with Eragon and Roran or when Nasuada hugs Eragon at the end of 'Eldest' on finding out he is still alive. Overall, I like it and will gladly pre-order my copy of the fourth book.

There! *rant now over* :)

Reply | Thread