?

No account? Create an account

__fantasynovel

« previous entry | next entry »
Mar. 10th, 2009 | 06:45 am
posted by: dark_haru in __fantasynovel

Wow it's been a long time since I've visited this journal!

Well I'm back and I need some help! My love for fantasy is alive and well, and am currently reading Forgotten Realms' "The Wizards" novels and enjoying them. But here's where my dilemma comes up. Forgotten Realms is still targeting a more teenage audience, and as I grow older, I find that I want a little more from my fantasy.

I loved George R. R. Martin's A song of Ice and Fire, and eagerly anticipate the next novel(if it ever is released...).

Beyond those 4 novels, I haven't really experienced more mature writings.

Hopefully you'll be able to suggest some worthwhile reads that you think would suit my needs.

Link | Leave a comment |

Comments {16}

Cartazon

date: Mar. 10th, 2009 03:13 pm (UTC)
Link

I always recommend Guy Gavriel Kay.

Also, Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind is well worth your time!

Reply | Thread

Dark_Haru

date: Mar. 10th, 2009 04:15 pm (UTC)
Link

I've already read The Name of the Wind and have the next novel in that series preordered =D

I'll look into Guy Gavriel Kay for sure though.

Reply | Parent | Thread

♥ keptawake

date: Mar. 10th, 2009 07:14 pm (UTC)
Link

Hm. It's not the same caliber as A Song of Ice and Fire, but I really enjoyed Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn books. There are three, with the added bonus of the trilogy being complete, so no annoying waiting for the next book ;)

Reply | Thread

♥ keptawake

date: Mar. 10th, 2009 07:17 pm (UTC)
Link

Also, Terry Goodkind gets a lot of crap, and I thought his books got too... maybe preachy... toward the end, but the beginning of the series was very enjoyable in my opinion. And I haven't read Robert Jordan and have no real desire to, but some people really like his Wheel of Time series. Added trivia: though Robert Jordan died recently, Brandon Sanderson was chosen to write the final book of his series.

Reply | Parent | Thread

Dark_Haru

date: Mar. 11th, 2009 12:51 am (UTC)
Link

Thank you for the suggestion!

I actually tried Robert Jordan's first novel in Wheel of Time, and thanks to that, his writings have a lvl of DO NOT WANT all their own. Suffice it to say I did not enjoy it at all.

Reply | Parent | Thread

♥ keptawake

date: Mar. 11th, 2009 02:33 am (UTC)
Link

Ha. Good to know I'm not missing out. I've heard a lot of crap about Jordan, too, so I was actually surprised that one of my favorite authors was chosen to write his final book.

Reply | Parent | Thread

date: Mar. 17th, 2009 01:40 am (UTC)
Link

I'd say you might still be missing out, if you haven't at least read the first book. I consider the Wheel of Time a failure, but a spectacular failure, full of big ideas (and shrewish women).

Reply | Parent | Thread

Dark_Haru

date: Mar. 17th, 2009 01:44 am (UTC)
Link

My biggest complaint to Jordan's writing was that his beginning was uninspired and cliche, and that he spends so much on imagery that it put me to sleep. I had a librarian in high school who managed to stomach many of his novels for a time and she said that the early ones got decent later on. I just lack that kind of tolerance and patience.

Reply | Parent | Thread

♥ keptawake

date: Mar. 17th, 2009 04:22 pm (UTC)
Link

Hm. I'm sure I'll get around to reading it, in that case, I'm just in no hurry :P Thanks!

Reply | Parent | Thread

I've got a suggestion

date: Mar. 10th, 2009 10:20 pm (UTC)
Link

Well, I haven't heard of any of those books or authors, but if you're looking for more mature fantasy books that are really good and original, you should check out "the Black Jewels Trilogy" by Anne Bishop. The first book is called "Daughter of the Blood". After the trilogy there's a prequel, a book of novellas of what happened before, in between, and after the trilogy, and then there's another fun sequel. They're my favorite fantasy series.

Reply | Thread

Dark_Haru

Re: I've got a suggestion

date: Mar. 11th, 2009 12:53 am (UTC)
Link

I've actually got Daughter of the Blood ordered now, should be arriving in a couple of days. Saw an earlier post in here about it and was intrigued.

Reply | Parent | Thread

date: Mar. 11th, 2009 12:32 am (UTC)
Link

Oh George, how you keep us waiting...

Hmmn, I don't read too much epic fantasy etc myself, I tend to focus more on...I guess...niche kind of stuff so it really depends on whether you're more interested in the 'medieval' setting etc, however...

KJ Parker is an absolute genius, I'd vouche for her "Engineer Trilogy" any day- she has a very slow pace to her writing, and its more about the dynamics between characters (although if you liked all the political wrangling in ASOIAF then you'd probably appreciate this). She's further down the 'spec fic' end of the spectrum than 'high fantasy' but she's well worth a read (and *coughs* as someone who hates romance plots etc, I can also safely say that you'll be spared sweeping rhetoric on that topic).

Again, spec fic related- China Mieville has his flaws, but his work is really interesting, closer to 'steampunk' and sports one hell of a bestiary- I'd suggest starting with either 'Perdido Street Station' or 'The Scar' (I personally feel the latter is the better of the two).

Also, anything involving Michael Moorcock's Elric character is genius and a lot closer to high/epic fantasy, but is incredibly well thought out. I read them a lot when I first got really interested in fantasy- around the age of 16 or so- but they're definitely not directed at a teenage or even YA audience.

If you like wolves (heh- I noticed on your user info you were into Wolf's Rain- YAY) then William Horwood's 'Wolves of Time' series might be worth a look, since I'm assuming you can handle anthropomorphism/evil humans etc.

Reply | Thread

Dark_Haru

date: Mar. 11th, 2009 12:55 am (UTC)
Link

Thank you as well for all the suggestions!

While I do prefer at least some sword and sorcery in my readings, I like to believe I'm open minded enough to explore other readings outside my comfort zones.

Sorry about the profile, it hasn't been changed since I created this journal >

Reply | Parent | Thread

date: Mar. 17th, 2009 01:37 am (UTC)
Link

Here the first books in some series that I've really enjoyed:

Dragon Prince, by Melanie Rawn: definitely one of my favorite series, although it leans slightly toward "romance" there is enough magic and political intrigue to keep me going. Six books in this series total.

The Ruins of Ambrai, by Melanie Rawn: definitely more mature writing, probably ultimately a better series than the one above, although I can't be objective since I read Dragon Prince first and it holds a special place in my heart. Warning: two books in this as of yet, unfinished series (which may never be finished).

The Gift, by Alison Croggon: I really enjoyed this even though it was a YA book and it kind of has a lot of cliche high fantasy elements. Still, the language is quite lovely in it.

Mistborn, by Brandon Sanderson: this series is pretty much nonstop action, at least the first one is (the second sort of bogs down in the middle, and I haven't gotten to the third yet). It sort of reads like YA stuff sometimes, and the romance parts of the story are pretty corny and bad. But the action sections are pretty riveting.

Reply | Thread

date: Mar. 17th, 2009 01:39 am (UTC)
Link

Oh, I forgot one of my favorites, which bears a second comment:

The Assassin's Apprentice, by Robin Hobb. Pretty engaging first person story, nine books in total in this series.

Reply | Parent | Thread

Dark_Haru

date: Mar. 17th, 2009 01:46 am (UTC)
Link

I've already read the Dragon Prince novels and enjoyed them, perhaps if I get through my current collection of novels I'll look into The Ruins of Ambrai.

Reply | Parent | Thread