leolac (leolac) wrote in __bookish__,
leolac
leolac
__bookish__

• Mood:

not the most recent update, as I have two others read now, but close enough, =)

x-posted in my journal

#18 - Harry Potter 1 (J.K. Rowling)
#19 - Harry Potter 2 (J.K. Rowling)
#20 - Harry Potter 3 (J.K. Rowling)
#21 - Harry Potter 4 (J.K. Rowling)

I spent most of the time remembering what I knew of the fifth book and trying to see what is happening beyond the school in the larger world. The last half of the fourth book made much more sense now. I was interested to find that all of a sudden in the fourth book there was an international flavour to the story. The entire ministry of magic in the earlier books have always been only English speaking, seated in England, and the Minister was able to just walk around wherever he pleased. Now in the fourth book there are wizards all over the world and there are issues like translation, etc. Also I was first aware of how the third book is the one where the whole series takes off - the first time that the book isn't simply a start-and-finish story...it's when the series really takes off and you can see that there is a larger history beyond Harry, with a wider present and a deeper past. I found a lot of clues and explanations that I still did not catch, though this was the third time I have read most of these (fourth for the first book).

Unfortunately, the copies I had of the audiobooks had some corrupted files and I was missing entire chapters at times. It was rather frustrating. I also don't have a copy of the fifth book - getting rid of it last year when I realised that most files were scratched.

#22-24 - Germany since 1945 (Lothar Kettenacker)

This was a very thorough textbook. I really enjoyed reading it. It was clear, concise, complete, and I can believe that I will read it again in the future. There was a lot of fascinating information - economic, political, cultural, etc. Lots of facts in here to chew on, ponder, and help me understand where my German sweetheart is coming from. I don't often like my textbooks. This also counts for three, according to my rules as I set them for myself, principally because I did read it three times studying for my tests and preparing for my lectures.

#24-27 - Ever Closer Union: An Introduction to European Integration 2nd Ed. (Desmond Dinan)

This was a boring and confusing textbook that is more of a political science text than a history text. I am not a political science student, and generally resented reading this. After doing so though, I can see how much more informed I am of the EU and can follow the news better. Okay...I'm glad I read it, but hated doing so for almost every single sentence. I am also happy that this course is finally over.

Sigh, =D. Now I have to get to book #36 before the end of the month and I will still be on track. Hm...I set a challenge for myself, as my German darling is coming for a visit soon and the month is already half over. I also started reading a few bricks: The Name of the Rose and a few books about Freemasonry...but we'll see.
Subscribe

• would someone like to help me out?

would anyone be willing to read some of a book i have written myself i need some feed back and i am hoping someone will help me??

• Greetings all.

Hello all. I'm new here, I joined because I thought a group that actually discuss books that might actually help me to sort out the sensational crap…

• BOOK REVIEW #1 -K. Pizarro

I'm a new member here and I've just finished reading a really cool book. I'm going to write a book review about to encourage other people to read…

• Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments