Anita (anita729) wrote in __alexisbledel,
Anita
anita729
__alexisbledel

Written Interviews With Alexis + A Short Video

Alexis says she was a very tired actress (Parade)

Trying to get work.
"Auditioning for parts as an actress was kind of like a job interview for me. I sort of discovered acting in college at NYU. I'll never forget my audition for Gilmore Girls. I did it only for the experience, never expecting that I'd get the part of Rory, which changed my life and career."

Facing unemployment.
"I haven't gone through anything extreme, but when Gilmore Girls ended, I didn't go on to another TV series. You don't always go from one thing to the next in this business. Sometimes you have several months in-between, and you don't know what your next job will be. So I can relate a little bit to that sense of wanting to get to work."

The good part of down time.
"Doing a TV show was like running a marathon. It would have helped if I was in great shape, watched what I ate, got enough sleep and exercised. Unfortunately, I skipped all that and often I was a very tired actress."

Understanding the value of work for women.
"I kind of tried to think about it from a post-feminism perspective because, historically, there was such a struggle to get women to a point where they could choose between a job and family life, and now we have that option. But what's interesting is how important this job is to my character. She spends the entire movie working toward it, she's like totally obsessed, and then she gets it. And she finds that it's not everything she expected. To me, that's a reminder that your work isn't everything."

She'll never be a workaholic.
"There are people, like my character in Post Grad, who are fixated on a career and don't entertain any other ideas whatsoever. It takes a strong personality to have that focus. It's not like mine at all. I'm very open to different things and don't want to limit myself. I just really want to see what comes my way."

Guys as just pals.
"At different points in my life I think I have had guy best friends, but I think my best friends are typically other girls. I don't know. It gets complicated with guys, especially when you're younger. I think it's easier for that line between best friend and boyfriend to get complicated."

As for living at home like her character.
"I know that if I had to do it, I'd probably last for about a week. It's a hard thing to do. It's almost against nature. I know a lot of people go back and live with their families, especially in other countries. I think in the States there's so much emphasis on the self and succeeding individually that you want to be on your own. But in many places, like Latin America and Europe, people live with their families for longer than we do. Here there's definitely, I think, a stigma about it. But I like the message that life isn't all about what you do; it has a lot to do with who you surround yourself with and go home to and that becomes your life."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alexis doesn't know if she's in Sin City 2 but would be excited to do it. (ScreenCave)

What is the message of this movie? Should a girl give up her dreams to go across the country to follow her man?

No, not at all. I think it’s that you can’t plan everything, you have to be able to able to know what life throws your way. And I think it follows her journey in doing that, and adapt to life.

It’s also about getting out and seeing things and not just be stuck in this little town you live in.

“I think so, yeah. I think that it is important to see different places if you have the opportunity to and experience different things. The work is not everything, I mean, we’re in a bit of a crisis, so it’s kind of scary to give up the job. That would not happen, really. I mean…yeah…now that kind of seems silly, but she’s also a girl who has a safety net in her family and she knows she can go back there. So, to give this relationship a chance, her personal happiness, I mean, I think it still makes sense if she has the option, you know. It’s a post-feminist story.”

Your life is different, because you got to work at something you love. Was it always your passion, from being a kid, to do this?

I kind of discovered acting when I was in college at NYU. I kind of started auditioning because I had a modeling agent and in their same office is where I met my manager. There was another branch. I kind of fell into it…

But is acting now it for you?

Yeah, definitely, this is definitely what I do…it’s interesting discovering something as an adult. It kind of has to do with the film and being open to different things that come your way, because I’ve come to learn so many different things about it. The fact that every day you have…if you’re in television everyday, you have a new scene and new sort of challenge. When you work in film, you start from scratch every time you’re on a new film. So I really like a lot of things about it like creating characters…yeah…I mean, I wouldn’t have done that if I hadn’t of tried it.

How do you decide what you want to do?

Usually, if I really get into the script, because it’s just a good story that I like, I think about the character and figure out if I have a strong take on what I want to do with it, and then it’s just about which actors and directors are involved.

Do you have any charity work that you do in contrast to your acting?

I’ve just started getting involved with some different charities. I’ve been trying to find one that I can be really fully involved with it. Because sometimes you just lend your name to a charity and you’re not actually doing anything. I started doing some work with this organization called Peace Games in New York, where, I think it’s like seven different schools in the New York area have this set-up in their schools, and basically, it teaches kids how to resolve conflicts in non-violent ways. So they play games and they learn how to communicate rather than to fight. It’s a really amazing program, because you can really tell when kids have been through it because there’s sort of a collaborative feeling in the class. They just communicate with other, it’s not as ‘clique-ky’ as some groups are.

You actually go to the classrooms?

Yeah, and we do these different games and kind of lead them and they love it. They absolutely love it. It’s really cool to see.

What do you get from doing that?

I feel like I learn so much from the kids because they are so smart. Also, they had an event recently where all the schools got together in New York, and I kinda hosted and talked to some middle-school-aged kids. We kind of had like four big groups come in and we asked them about what their thoughts were on the media. How they felt affected by it, inspired by it, different performers…these kids, they really get it. They’re like, ‘Who do you see as an example?’ And the kids are like, ‘Obama,’ they didn’t name actors, necessarily…

What about your character’s choice between the guy who loves her but she can’t see him versus the hot guy across the street who is an older man of experience? How did you think of that? Is she really repressing any feelings towards him?

I honestly don’t think she’s aware of his feelings for her, because he hasn’t told her anything yet and in her mind they are best friends, the closest of friends and have been for a while. He’s that rock for her, he’s a huge support in her life, but she has tunnel vision. She’s completely obsessed with this plan of hers, and the guy next door is kind of a relationship of convenience and they kind of meet because of proximity and boredom and to spend time together. And I think that’s a really real inaction, I think it happens. I’ve definitely experienced how maybe there’s something romantic that happens, but it kind of fizzles out rather quickly, but you learn something from that person and you take it with you in your life.

What is your view on romantic relationships? Is it fate?

Yeah, I think it’s a little bit of…I think anything is possible. I think there are people who have very powerful connections, but I don’t think that everyone necessarily finds that in their lives, but I think that’s what everyone hopes for and looks for…but I do think it has a lot to do with circumstance and chemistry and luck.

Do you think that people’s ideas about love and romance change from each experience, as you get older or do think you get imprinted with things that you see?

Both. I think we each sort of have a mindset based on our parents or people we know growing up or relationships that we see and then society also has ideas that change over time. There were Victorian ideals that changed into modern ideals, And now, I don’t think we know where we are, (laughs) it’s a big mixture of everything and you can kind of pick and chose and decide for yourself what your ideas about love are.

We’ve heard that Frank Miller has finished the script for Sin City 2.

You did? Do you have a good source?

Harry the king. He’s read it.

Did he read it?

Yeah.

No way.

So you haven’t read it?

No, am I in it?

I was going to ask. Hopefully.

I hope so.

Would you be excited to do that?

Oh yeah.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alexis talks about her shyness. (KansasCity)

There are plenty of words that have been used to describe those who make their living as actors: extroverts, exhibitionists, overbearing, attention seekers.

Those descriptions don't come close to describing the soft-spoken Alexis Bledel. Get this. She's shy.

Although she selected a career that often comes with a spotlight - her's coming through the hit TV show "Gilmore Girls" and films like "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" - Bledel's not in it for the attention.

"I wonder sometimes if acting is the right thing for my personality. But the truth is I am comforted by the fact that a lot of actors are shy," Bledel says during an interview to promote her starring role in "Post Grad."

Even as she talks about her new movie, there is something about Bledel's body language that supports her shy claims. She's seated at the end of a couch with her legs pulled tight under her model-thin frame. The only time she comes out of this tucked position is to take a few sips from a cup of tea.

The trick to being a shy person in such an overt career, explains Bledel, is to structure your life around your own comfort level. Most of the time that means living the kind of life that would send paparazzi to sleep. She's not hot on the party trail. If you were to see her home you would find countless novels she's currently reading.

Bledel's career choice was not the result of being pushed into acting while growing up in Texas. Her parents tried to expose her to as many artistic outlets as possible and that included community theater. Bledel develop a mixed- bag interest in the humanities from photography to costuming. She finally decided acting provided her with the outlet to all of her interests.

"I never pictured myself as an actor. I always thought that I would be behind the scenes," Bledel says.

In "Post Grad," Bledel's character has a very distinct plan for her life after college. Things change and she must consider a career right turn. That's similar to what happened to Bledel. She entered New York University's film school when she was 18 years old, intent on creating the foundation for her future life behind the scenes.

To make money, Bledel started modeling. A fellow model said acting classes helped with modeling so Bledel took a few classes. The behind-the-scenes life plan began to fade as Bledel discovered how much she liked acting.

A year later she was thrown into the limelight when the "Gilmore Girls" became an instant hit. Bledel has had steady work since then, but she can relate to her "Post Grad" character. Bledel's not certain where her acting life will lead.

The 27-year-old actress is open to going back to television, but she's not shy in saying it would take a TV series with the same quality as "Gilmore Girls" for her to seriously consider it.

"I like to see what comes my way and take the path of least resistance. I am not a planner in that way. I think it is great to have confidence, to have goals. But you have to be adaptable when things come your way," Bledel says.

Alexis tells Ryden is more real than any other chracter she's ever played. (New York Post)

IN "Post Grad," Alexis Bledel plays an overconfident college grad ready to take the world by storm. In real life, although Bledel never finished college, she's still somewhat of a graduate.

Bledel, 27, made her television debut as the overachieving Rory Gilmore on the critically acclaimed dramedy "Gilmore Girls" (she's pictured right, with co-star Lauren Graham). While the show aired, she also starred as the upper-crust Winnie Foster in the 2002 film adaptation of "Tuck Everlasting" and, later, as the head-over-heels-in-love Lena Kaligaris in "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" movies. In short, she's had enough of the good girl and is hoping that in "Post Grad" she can stretch her wings a bit.

"Rory had a bit of a charmed life -- she was supported by her grandparents, and she was sort of an advanced child academically, and she always excelled in school," Bledel says. "Ryden Malby is a little less perfect than some of the other characters I've played," she say referring to her "Post Grad" character. "She makes mistakes.

"She's a bit of a mess at certain points, and I like that because it felt more real than some of the more ideal characters I've played."

If it sounds like Bledel can relate to Ryden, too, it's because she can. Like Ryden, the actress had a plan that took a turn for the unexpected. She knew she wanted to work in the film industry, so after high school she started college at NYU's Tisch School of the Arts. She began modeling to earn some extra money, and soon after she started acting classes. When "Gilmore Girls" took off in 2000, she dropped out of school and has been acting ever since.

Over the course of the film, though, Ryden begins to realize that what really matters is who you're with, not necessarily what you're doing -- especially when things aren't going your way. When she realizes that, she begins to figure out how to approach her career.

"As far as her professional struggles go, she has to learn how to think outside the box and contemplate different possibilities for herself," Bledel says. Sounds like good advice that Bledel might take herself: In May, she signed with modeling giant IMG, and there are talks that she might reprise her role as the prostitute Becky (a far cry from her good-girl persona) in "Sin City 2," currently in development.

"When you can't control your work, you can at least control who you spend time with," Bledel says. "That can enrich your life when things aren't going well."
Tags: article, interview, movie, post grad, video
Subscribe

• Post a new comment

Error

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic
  • 0 comments