R.I.P. 5RC [Oct. 24th, 2006|12:13 am]
5 Rue Christine

__5rc

[k4rl]
[mood |sadsad]

Kill Rock Stars Retires 5RC
2006-10-23 10:38:30.110,
Story by: Alex Billig

Shortly after announcing the impending departure of label founder Slim Moon for his new post at Nonesuch, Kill Rock Stars has confirmed that its avant-garde offshoot, 5 Rue Christine, will soon be closing up shop indefintely. KRS vice president Maggie Vail explained the situation to Pitchfork, saying, "We're calming down a little bit and not putting out so many records. We'd like to focus on our bands more."

While this decision may allow KRS to provide its bands with additional attention, 5RC's retirement brings into question the future of artists like the Advantage, Excepter and the Robot Ate Me, who are all currently on its roster. At this stage, Vail is still uncertain about the paths each of its artists would take. While some acts have already arranged to switch over to KRS, others may choose, or be forced, to seek deals with other labels.

In the 10 years since its creation in 1997, 5RC has established a name for itself by releasing innovative records by boundry-pushing bands like Hella, Deerhoof and Xiu Xiu. Before becoming "dormant," the label plans to finish out their 2006/2007 plans, which include releasing new full-lengths from the Punks, BARR and Marnie Stern.
linkReply

Comments:
[User Picture]From: jackhorkheimer
2006-10-24 08:18 pm (UTC)
Super WTF!! I'm so sad. Slim Moon leaving???? Oh well, I hope he gets set for life with his salary from Nonesuch.

I don't see 5RC closing as being that bad tho. I thought it was kind of unnecessary when they opened it--like why make a ghetto for your riskier artists? I don't think KRS would really give the shaft to any of its acts from 5RC
(Reply) (Thread)