threv (threv) wrote in ____rhapsodical,
threv
threv
____rhapsodical

Last Sigh

*tears*
hello i am [info]threv 

aww jeah

It looks like our fair group is reaching the end of our journey. I apologize for my personal dearth of posts over the past month - the holiday season was extremely busy, and my band The Secret Life had our CD Release Party (pix here). Work has ramped up; [info]pixivixen is back in school AND has found a sweet new job, and life is overall great. It seems like a fantastic time to hit the reset button, so with this final post
I present 3 themes:
- bands i wanted to post about in rhapsodical but haven't yet
- bands that made me who i am today
- silly shit that i'm addicted to

1) BANDS I WANTED TO POST ABOUT IN RHAPSODICAL
okay there's really only one in particular but it's a doozy:

Painful Reminder
Painful Reminder is an anti-folk rock act formerly from Atlanta, GA. Based primarily around one Ben Philips, aka Pynk, the songwriting is deliciously morose and the spite is palpable. Pynk is a brother of mine in Psi Upsilon from Georgia Tech, and has performed in one respect or another for the past 8 years until he moved to Iowa w/his wife last year.

Pynk is a humongous inspiration and one of my closest friends. He's an incredible musician, a great guitarist, a fantastic songwriter, and if i didn't know him personally I would swear he's this close >< to killing himself. Always a fantastic show, and certainly THE SINGLE MOST underappreciated artist i know. Towards the end of his illustrious career as Painful Reminder, Pynk picked up a bassist in Rob "Poodleface" Solomon and a drummer in Phillip Simmons.

just great, great, great stuff and i hope & pray pynk will pick this back up some day.

SONGS:
I only wanted you for sex
Blow, blow thou winter wind
happy birthday

2) BANDS THAT MADE ME WHO I AM TODAY

pixivixen already covered Download/platEAU, but they are only one part of the greater subconscious collective founded by the masters of horror industrial, Skinny Puppy

If i had to pick just one band to say "they are my favorite", it would be skinny puppy. the mastery of intense percussion; sick sick synth basslines; the amazing songwriting; the classically trained drummer & keyboardist; the insane range of style they cover; their prolific nature...i'm fucking absolutely addicted to the pups. Started in Vancouver in 1982, the core group is cEvin Key, Nivek Ogre, and (until his tragic death in 1995) Dwayne Goettel. They released a ton of shit until their "breakup" in 1996 (after which Download came to the forefront) but reformed in 2000 at the Doomsday festival in germany, and have since released 2 records (that sadly don't quite match the ziing of their earlier works, but the stuff Omar Torres did w/them on The Greater Wrong of the Right is just sick sick sick shit). I've spent more time listening to Skinny Puppy than any other band. They are so deliciously dark, and i've never heard anything like them since. I can't get enough. That's a fact.

SONGS:
Rodent
Dogshit (extended mix)
Smothered Hope
Tormentor
Worlock
Inquisition
Ghostman

next, we have probably my 2nd 'favorite' band:
Cabaret Voltaire

i first heard cabaret voltaire (aka the cabbies, aka cabvolt) in high school right around the time i was getting into skinny puppy.  the 1st record i heard was 'microphonies' (a poster of which can be found on ferris bueller's wall) and i thought "wow this sounds like pretty hate machine".  lo & behold, it was produced by flood as well, only 5 years prior.  i've become a massive fan of all of their work.  they started out on the original industrial records label in the late 70s, manipulating tapes and making raw noise.  chris watson ended up leaving the band in the early 80s after several landmark releases (red mecca, 2x45, etc.) to form the hafler trio (aka h3o).  richard h. kirk ended up directing the musical output for the next 10 years, inventing ambient techno & 'poppy' industrial along the way.  always engaging, always entertaining.  mr. kirk has also released under many other monikers such as sweet exorcist and sandoz.

SONGS:
Do Right
Just Fascination (1992 remix)
I Want You
We've Got Heart

now it's time for kinds of ultra heavy beat & crap rock (?) i dunno it's totally dancy 'industrial' kinda but i fucking love most of it (well, anything before the symbols album)
KMFDM

pretty much everyone's heard of KMFDM (aka No Pity For The Majority) and had ideas of what that shit actually stands for (my favorite wrong answers:  Kill Me For Drug Money, Kill Mother Fucking Depeche Mode, Kombat Mortal For Dyslexic Men, Kylie Minogue Fucks Dead Monkeys) and has heard their music.  i still love their early to mid output.  started in the early 80s as a performance art demonstration (leader Sascha K distorted 16 vacuum cleaners on stage), introduced to Raymond Watts (who was recently fired as Einsturzende Neubauten's stage manager for setting fire to too many things) they drank themselves retarded and recorded 'what do you know, deutscheland?' in watts' basement bunker.  they developed their trademark sound over years with a severe case of tongue in cheek.  tons of records flew out of KMFDM, mostly emblazoned with the art of Brute! which became a staple of KMFDM's releases.  Lots of heavy processed guitar, funky heavy beats, silly lyrics, and deep synths.  a staple in the collection of pretty much any fan of wax trax!

SONGS:
Power
Ultra
i wish i could find Money cuz that song's great, so is Help Us, Save Us, Take Us Away.
go find those songs.

closely related to KMFDM is
Pig

Raymond Watts is, to me, the reason i loved KMFDM.  He wrote their biggest song Juke Joint Jezebel, and his own work is a crazy amalgamation of horns, synths, guitar, pomp, and drinking.  I got into Pig around the time I got into KMFDM and became a much bigger Pig fan.  Fucking great shit.  I wish he'd go back to working w/Jim "Foetus" Thirlwell again tho (steroid maximus was a fucking amazing project - for proof, listen to the opening theme of The Venture Brothers - that's steroid maximus aka thirlwell & watts)

SONGS:
Volcano

fuck i thought i put up more on box.net.  GO BUY SOME PIG TRUST ME IT'S TOTALLY WORTH EVERY CENT.
get "sinsation" or "red, raw, and sore"
now.

OK time for the Wreckers of Civilisation (quote british parliament in the late 70s):
Throbbing Gristle

yeeee gadddsss i could write tomes on Throbbing Gristle.
They invented 'industrial' music in the 70s.  they founded Industrial Records.  They came from Coum Transmissions (sick performance art involving blood and vomit and ick).  they founded the careers of Genesis P-Orridge, Psychic TV, and Coil.  They were fucking raw as hell.  Textbook industrial music - probably the only 'true' industrial music ever made.  just sick sick sick shit.  amazing noise, live sound mangling (before anyone ever thought of doing live electronic sound mangling), proto-sampling pioneers.  Seriously i could write for years but do yourself a favor & google that shit.  NOW NOW NOW Now.

SONGS:
20 jazz funk greats
united
hamburger lady
hot on the heels of love

ps this is genesis p-orridge today:

yes, that's a 50 year old man.  yes, those are tits.

mental floss.

right now, right now, right now it's time to...KICK OUT THE JAMS, MOTHERFUCKERS
The KLF

The KLF...the truest discordians to ever live.  Born out of a desire for A&R rep Bill Drummond to destroy the music industry, he enlisted the help of one Jimmy Cauty to make a 'hip hop' record in 1987.  The crazy scots sampled everyone from Whitney Houston to Abba and got the shit sued out of them in the process.  Fueled by rage, they recorded as "the JAMS" and "the timelords", wrote the gary glitter/dr. who mashup that is played at every fucking sports event ever, hit #1 in england, wrote "The Manual:  How to have a #1 hit the easy way", invented acid trance (perfected it, to be exact), helped form The Orb, got even more popular which made them MORE ANGRY.  they released Chill Out, the quintessential ambient techno record, then they released The White Room (with 3am eternal and what time is love, which both made it to the top of the british charts).  Since their plan to destroy the industry backfired as they got more rich & popular, the only thing to do was go BATSHIT INSANE.
how?
During the 1992 BRIT awards, they were scheduled to perform their hit "what time is love".  instead, they got grindcore act Extreme Noise Terror to perform the song to a shocked crowd as the KLF hit the stage in kilts and machineguns, chomping cigars, and fired blanks above the audience.  later, they dumped a dead sheep in the afterparty.
this made them more popular
what next?
they burned a million quid.
and videotaped it.
and called it quits.

fuck yes.

SONGS:
3 A.M. Eternal
I put up "what time is love" on a previous post - check it out (it's under the wax trax! black box post.  it's great.)
also check their videos online - they were quite prolific.

finally we come to what's still the single most awesome example of drum & bass ever,
Panacea

I kind of regret that this is the 1st drum & bass act i was introduced to, as everything since has been ABSOLUTELY LACKING IN BALLS AND INTENSITY.  his debut release, Low Profile Darkness, is still the finest dark D&B ever made.  Sick basslines, wicked distorted breaks, wow.  Even he himself hasn't been able to top that (altho 'the hardest tour on planet earth' with cativo is a worthy attempt).  He records under various other monikers:  squaremeter, kate mosh, and the redeemer.

SONG:
VIP Torture
turn this shit up loud as hell & make sure you're around things that are destructible because you're going to fucking break things while listening to this.  imagine a 15 year old kid from south georgia hearing this & going fucking apeshit.  hi!  that was me.

BONUS: SILLY TRACKS THAT I'M FUCKING ADDICTED TO:
MONTGOMERY FLEA MARKET (spooky mix)

Sonic in Moscow -
did you know that michael jackson's production team wrote the music for Sonic the Hedgehog 3?
little known fact. look it up on google :) anyhow, i mashed up the end song of Sonic 3 w/MJ's "Stranger in Moscow" along with a stranger in moscow cover by Transformer di Roboto (who uses the mac startup sound as the bassline) totally silly but fun :)

The Frogs - I'm Evil, Jack
just listen.

Kalma - Power ov Love
Yes, this is an electronic death metal cover of huey lewis. Kalma is fucking amazing. Great pals, amazing musicians, run SMT Studios in Manhattan. Brian Herman of Kalma is also involved with Not Breathing.

OK THAT DOES IT
I LOVE YOU ALL
FOR FURTHER FUN CHECK
threv 
FOR HAPPY TIMES
also more links!

Nophi Recordings (i am co-chair of this record label)
WREK 91.1FM The Mobius (my weekly electronic radio show - we archive!)
The Secret Life Web Liner Notes (electronic liner notes for my recently released CD)
The Secret Life Blog (we update this hooray)
Harmaline Myspace (one of my 2 new acts)

I really will miss this, and i hope to keep in contact w/those who appreciated what I posted.
Take it sleazy, everyone

-
threv 
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic

Your IP address will be recorded 

When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 10 comments