?

No account? Create an account

paunchy, balding internet demo☭rat
08 January 2008 @ 03:01 pm
Lawdy it's 2008 already! Ohhhh how time flies when you have a million things to do.

Let's start this party off with some Charles Mingus! (Well to be fair, Charles Mingus Sextet with Eric Dolphy.) Dude's a jazz bassist that I've recently fallen hard for thanks in part to one Nate Query. The first sentence of his bio on allmusic really brought the lol and was also pretty dead on in describing him, so I'mma copy/paste that for you. "Irascible, demanding, bullying, and probably a genius, Charles Mingus cut himself a uniquely iconoclastic path through jazz in the middle of the 20th century, creating a legacy that became universally lauded only after he was no longer around to bug people." This song I'm posting manages to, in its 15 minutes, explore New Orleans jazz, gospel, swing and a bit of the avant-garde.

Charles Mingus Sextet with Eric Dolphy - So Long Eric

And hey! I bet some of you who are all up in the news have heard about Nicolas Sarkozy and Carla Bruni lately. Just in case you haven't heard any songs from her, here's one from her first album. It's a jingle-jangly guitar-based song from a real babe.

Carla Bruni - Lovers