> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

January 31st, 2005

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
chellycat
10:44 pm - INFP vs ISFP
I've always been curious as to what the precise differences beween INFP and ISFP are. I looked all over the web but could find no real comparisons. Most of the descriptions of ISFP are very similar to INFP. Does anyone know how to determine if you're ISFP vs INFP?

I ask because sometimes I can be quite exacting. I like telling the time to the exact minute. I got annoyed when people said 2000 was the new millenium. I like to give (and recieve) detailed, step-by-step instructions and I prefer to read instruction manuals before putting things together. I like to look up people I know in rhe school directories so I can find out more about them and their majors. Aren't those all S traits? Where do you draw the line betw. INFP and ISFP?
Current Mood: confusedconfused

(5 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:

Date:February 1st, 2005 04:23 am (UTC)
(Link)
Having a few S traits doesn't necessarily mean that you're an S; the distinction between N and S may just not be very strong for you. Generally I think a good way to determine if you're an N is if you're often subject to daydreaming and envision possibilities more than reality.

From typelogic.com:
More in touch with the reality of their senses than their INFP counterparts, ISFPs live in the here and now. Their impulses yearn to be free, and are often loosed when others least expect it. The ISFP who continually represses these impulses feels 'dead inside' and may eventually cut and run.

I also get confused with a lot of the differences between N and S, and even though I exhibit certain S characteristics (for example I can't stand it when people tell me that it's a little bit before the hour, how much before the hour, and which hour??) but my overall personality yields much more to intuition, and that's the problem: intuition is more of a general picture, just as it's used, and it's hard to view yourself as an intuitive when you're seeing all these detailed sensing characteristics.
Date:February 1st, 2005 04:46 am (UTC)
(Link)
Yeah, when I first got into MBTI, I actually came out ISFP, INFJ or INFP, depending on how I was feeling when I took the test. I didn't think the intuition stuff really described me, but it really does, in the greater scheme of things. I do enjoy coming up with ideas and fantasies, so I guess ISFP's wouldn't be as into fantasy.
Date:February 1st, 2005 04:24 am (UTC)
(Link)
They're perfectionistic traits, not necessarily S traits. I have done or would do most of those things.

Do you focus on details-- not abstract details, but details like what color something is? Do you dislike expressing your feelings, or do so frequently, if reservedly? Do you talk about your past and future, or is it more present moment?

ISFPs do have a private emotional life, but the emotions involved are very based in truth. INFPs emotions are based in truth as well, but also come from an idealized view of what life was and ought to be. ISFPs idealize what life is.

Another difference-- INFPs are very airy. Lost in thought, not quite there, float through the world, almost detached. ISFPs are more earthy. Feeling the monument intensely, trying to hide how very attached they are to the moment. They come across as perpetual innocents. We come across as perpetual children.

Make sense?
Date:February 1st, 2005 04:43 am (UTC)
(Link)
Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I am mostly INFP, then. I do tend to get lost in my own thoughts, but those thoughts center around fantasy and the way I wish they were or ought to be. I never feel like I'm really involved in what's really going on around me. :)
[User Picture]
Date:February 1st, 2005 12:32 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Hmmm. I know at least 1 or 2 ISFPs, and that makes a lot of sense.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com